The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica Audio intros Green4: much-awaited upgrade with 4 plugins derived from 2 iconic studio units
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Normally we sample the devices by holding only one of the two channels and replicating it perfectly in the left and right channel. All this allows us to obtain an emulation based on the same replicated channel, and therefore without phase problems, generally caused by a small difference between the two channels. In this case we have both equalizer channels sampled in stereo in one of the plugins: the small match imperfections between the two channels give back an interesting stereo plane just for mastering, and it's one of the reasons why some engineers prefer hardware to software.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ zaphod

I respect your decisions. You have been providing the audio community high quality software at an affordable price point for a very long time now. So I can't thank you enough for allowing guys I like me to compete with the big boys.

On the topic of gear beauty, I'm actually in the process of buying broken rack gear and custom face plates that resemble the software I own. All in an effort to make my studio appear to be "more legitimate" in web site photos.

The sad truth is, people care about looks more than sound quality. At least they do here in superficial USA!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Normally we sample the devices by holding only one of the two channels and replicating it perfectly in the left and right channel. All this allows us to obtain an emulation based on the same replicated channel, and therefore without phase problems, generally caused by a small difference between the two channels. In this case we have both equalizer channels sampled in stereo in one of the plugins: the small match imperfections between the two channels give back an interesting stereo plane just for mastering, and it's one of the reasons why some engineers prefer hardware to software.
That is interesting!

Precisely, in the AA Spain group on Facebook we were talking about this. Now the matter is clear.

So Green is the first to apply this capture method? From now on, will you be like this at all?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
@ zaphod

I respect your decisions. You have been providing the audio community high quality software at an affordable price point for a very long time now. So I can't thank you enough for allowing guys I like me to compete with the big boys.
this my opinion too, and a word about mixing and mastering, many people here argue as if every second would count in their precious and and extremely expensive work, the truth ist: most mixers and mastering guys have more time than they like, and if waiting a few seconds for the plugin destroys their preciouse workflow, they should look for another job, maybe professional CS Gamer. i don't understand the hostile discussion whenever acustica audio releases a new plugin.
They make a lot of money? Who cares, my neighbour imports motors from china, they can not compete with his wealth, so what?
I followed the developement of AA since the beginning, i worked in studios since the 80ies and i think that no other company came as close to real hardware than AA at least since the last few years.
I am too old to be a fanboy and there is surely a lot to criticise, but the way this company and also some others are attacked here and on kVR since years is ridiculous.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfreds View Post
this my opinion too, and a word about mixing and mastering, many people here argue as if every second would count in their precious and and extremely expensive work, the truth ist: most mixers and mastering guys have more time than they like, and if waiting a few seconds for the plugin destroys their preciouse workflow, they should look for another job, maybe professional CS Gamer. i don't understand the hostile discussion whenever acustica audio releases a new plugin.
They make a lot of money? Who cares, my neighbour imports motors from china, they can not compete with his wealth, so what?
I followed the developement of AA since the beginning, i worked in studios since the 80ies and i think that no other company came as close to real hardware than AA at least since the last few years.
I am too old to be a fanboy and there is surely a lot to criticise, but the way this company and also some others are attacked here and on kVR since years is ridiculous.
I wish I had the time those engineers you know have, seriously. In fact, I'm writing this while a few tracks are being frozen.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

are there plans to optimise the comp during trial?
it sounds great, giving me punch and finesse but one instance is killing cpu.
running on i7 3.6ghz 16gig 2046 buffer cubase 10.5 pro latest.

ok, screenshots not happening, but this is the chain;

one single stereo track master with coffee strip
into next group with erin comp
into next group with erin eq
into next group with green comp
into next group with green eq stt

without green comp i'm at about 50% cpu, switching it in adds almost another 50%

Last edited by Flex1; 1 week ago at 07:41 AM.. Reason: unable to load screenshots
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

screenshots
Attached Thumbnails
Acustica Audio intros Green4: much-awaited upgrade with 4 plugins derived from 2 iconic studio units-greencomp-out.jpg   Acustica Audio intros Green4: much-awaited upgrade with 4 plugins derived from 2 iconic studio units-greencomp-.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Green4 is now posted on the updated Unofficial Acqua Master List
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Until when will last the intro price?

Quote:
Old 1 week ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundano View Post
Until when will last the intro price?
Usually, the intro price lasts for 30 days from the product release so in the case of Green4 will be August 27 but my recommendation is not to wait until the last minute (*) Price (MSRP): Special pricing - 129.00€ [Reg. 219.00€] - Save 40% OFF - Intro pricings normally last for 30 days from the date of announcement. Acustica Audio reserves the right to change or modify the duration, terms and conditions of intro pricings and any other promotion at any time and without notice.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Green4 is now posted on the updated Unofficial Acqua Master List
Thanks, Doom!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
- CPU consumption is something we've been talking about since 2007. I'm done arguing about it now. All I know is that with the new CPUs for the classic 44 and 48 installments users open up a lot of instances. That's the reason why they have all stopped talking about the problem, in fact percentually now they are few to discuss it. In 2007 it was probably the only topic of discussion. By now, you should all have understood that our products consume, it's public knowledge and quite shared, I'm surprised they don't introduce our process among the benchmark normally used to measure CPU performance eheh.
are there plans to optimise the comp during trial?
it sounds great, giving punch and finesse, but one instance is killing cpu.
running at 44 on i7 3.6ghz 16gig 2046 buffer cubase 10.5 pro latest.
Attached Thumbnails
Acustica Audio intros Green4: much-awaited upgrade with 4 plugins derived from 2 iconic studio units-greencomp-out.jpg   Acustica Audio intros Green4: much-awaited upgrade with 4 plugins derived from 2 iconic studio units-greencomp-.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM View Post
Usually, the intro price lasts for 30 days from the product release so in the case of Green4 will be August 27 but my recommendation is not to wait until the last minute (*) Price (MSRP): Special pricing - 129.00€ [Reg. 219.00€] - Save 40% OFF - Intro pricings normally last for 30 days from the date of announcement. Acustica Audio reserves the right to change or modify the duration, terms and conditions of intro pricings and any other promotion at any time and without notice.
Is this a free update from Green 1/2/3?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwel View Post
Is this a free update from Green 1/2/3?
yes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I was looking for a transparent compressor for my battery bus and green has worked great, I hope they optimize CPU usage, I don't usually complain about this but on my i7 8700k I was eating 40% CPU at 44khz.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
I was looking for a transparent compressor for my battery bus and green has worked great, I hope they optimize CPU usage, I don't usually complain about this but on my i7 8700k I was eating 40% CPU at 44khz.
Just tested in REAPER ...

1 instance of GreenZEN-comp @44.1 ... 2% cpu with Preamp 2.3%

i7-5820k [stock] Win7-64
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Just tested in REAPER ...

1 instance of GreenZEN-comp @44.1 ... 2% cpu with Preamp 2.3%

i7-5820k [stock] Win7-64
I can get that if neither of the fast/slow compressors are engaged ie. pass thru otherwise it's more like 8%. Same i7 5820 Win 10
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
Reaper its 1.3% cpu on my 9900K, in Studio One 4 & 5 it's 23% cpu for one instance of the compressor with pre engaged and processing.

I am using the trial version so i am not sure if the payed version is any better with anything other than Reaper. I don't use Reaper and i am sure not paying money for a compressor that uses 23% cpu. Madness.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod Slaughter View Post
I can get that if neither of the fast/slow compressors are engaged ie. pass thru otherwise it's more like 8%. Same i7 5820 Win 10
ok ... ran an instance with Preamp-ON, C-Link, Fast and Slow active.

Reaper: 2.8% cpu

i7-5820k Win7-64
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
I'm convinced it's a Cubase/Studio One issue.
Working in Cubase 10.5 Pro and I've been running at this issue a lot, especially when exporting audio which is a struggle with all the CPU spikes etc.

I'm also on i9-9900K with 32GB RAM and an m.2 SSD Samsung EVOPlus, I use AA plugins on all my mixes (Gold, Amber, Diamond, Viridian, El Rey) and there's always issues with CPU spikes, high CPU usage, playback is almost impossible without freezing/render in place every 15-20min as I'm mixing.

Reading the convos in Acustica threads, I haven't noticed Reaper and Pro Tools users complaining nearly as much as Cubase and Studio One folks.

And yes, AA plugins are generally more demanding on the CPU but it seems like it's a DAW issue as well.

I'm thinking about crossing over to Pro Tools for mixing because I'm tired of all the bugs and the CPU hit in Cubase.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade2 View Post
Working in Cubase 10.5 Pro and I've been running at this issue a lot, especially when exporting audio which is a struggle with all the CPU spikes etc.

I'm also on i9-9900K with 32GB RAM and an m.2 SSD Samsung EVOPlus, I use AA plugins on all my mixes (Gold, Amber, Diamond, Viridian, El Rey) and there's always issues with CPU spikes, high CPU usage, playback is almost impossible without freezing/render in place every 15-20min as I'm mixing.

Reading the convos in Acustica threads, I haven't noticed Reaper and Pro Tools users complaining nearly as much as Cubase and Studio One folks.

And yes, AA plugins are generally more demanding on the CPU but it seems like it's a DAW issue as well.

I'm thinking about crossing over to Pro Tools for mixing because I'm tired of all the bugs and the CPU hit in Cubase.
I record in pro tools then mix with REAPER. Ir pleases the tire kickers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
yes.
Epic!!
Had a gml8200 for years didn’t like the color of the unit. To glassy. Love the Greeen vst because you can switch the pre amp section off. Love the high freq.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
True ...

but nothing like the hardware unit in practice . . .

the AA version has no 'hard' mode for one. (true upwards compression)

also no release hysteresis

it's 'sorta' has a crest factor/peak control .... but where on the hardware it is a single knob you can adjust with reference to the output, in the AA version, they basically sampled each of the 2x RMS-log detectors, than broke out the controls .... so you have something like 8x knobs (each Fast/Slow control) plus wet/dry, and blend on each to approximate what the 'crest-factor' and 'peak' controls are doing on the hardware

and even then, it doesn't respond the same way .... in the hardware, those controls control the comparator directly which drives the single VCA in the signal path...and does actually let you influence the crest-factor of the resulting signal... in the AA it sounds like it's just a mix/blending of various envelopes

Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad they made this release, and that they took the time to sample it right! The ripple is very very low in both Zen units, AA are getting better and I give them props for that.

But vs the real Hardware, there is absolutely still a place for the GML Hardware Compressors in 2020 ... Honestly unisum is a much closer match than Green4... still neither mimic the 'Hard' mode... only the 'soft' mode.

<- owner GML 2030 + Green 4
If this is true, could you please explain which mode of the hardware is sampled? thank you in advance!

Quote:
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

yeah sure looks like cubase lags well behind reaper, though cpu wasn't struggling at all with the other 4 aquas (all modules in) those look like they're using around 50% shared, it's just that one instance of greencomp that blows the fuse.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I record in pro tools then mix with REAPER. Ir pleases the tire kickers.
this is sounding more and more like a viable alternative for final mixing, just wondering how the sharing of vsts between 2 daws would work, can you just add folder locations for reaper to scan?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Agreed. Ive got identical specs to you and my system is rock solid. Studio One & Cubase have always used more cpu with AA plugins compaired to Reaper and i am ok with that atm. I agree it's a DAW issue and its cpu efficiency to a certain extent. I love AA products and own a lot including Nebula etc like many others but i ain't switching DAW just to use them. There getting worse in Studio One over the last few years not better with regards to cpu usage but Studio One have made zero improvements with cpu usage from V4 IMO except the multi instruments.

While i think Reapers efficiency is top notch it's a pig to use workflow wise for me. Maby i will use Reaper for mixing after the statick tracks built from now on but i am simply not wasting money on plugins that blow your cpu up any more unless you use Reaper.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksta View Post
Agreed. Ive got identical specs to you and my system is rock solid. Studio One & Cubase have always used more cpu with AA plugins compaired to Reaper and i am ok with that atm. I agree it's a DAW issue and its cpu efficiency to a certain extent. I love AA products and own a lot including Nebula etc like many others but i ain't switching DAW just to use them. There getting worse in Studio One over the last few years not better with regards to cpu usage but Studio One have made zero improvements with cpu usage from V4 IMO except the multi instruments.

While i think Reapers efficiency is top notch it's a pig to use workflow wise for me. Maby i will use Reaper for mixing after the statick tracks built from now on but i am simply not wasting money on plugins that blow your cpu up any more unless you use Reaper.
Yup, agreed.

I don't mind jumping in another DAW for mixing but it is an inconvenience and it shouldn't be necessary.

Sadly, I don't even remember Steinberg ever putting a usable version of Cubase, there's always bugs holding you back, slowing down your workflow or making the DAW unusable completely.

Their forum is filled with threads about issues every time an update drops.

I'm not a fan of Pro Tools since I've been working in Cubase for as long as I remember, despite all of it's flaws but if I'm forced to switch to PT and adjust my workflow, I'll rather do that if it'll benefit me in the long run.

This just turned out as a rant on Cubase, sorry for the digression.

To be fair, I use at least 15 instances of AA stuff in my mixes and that takes a hit on the CPU but a system like mine/yours should be able to take it.
Old 1 week ago
Company Rep

As with Erin, during the first stage of the product, there may be more updates that improve performance when it comes to CPU usage.
However, it's true that there is a limit between how much improvement can be done and how certain DAWs manages it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundano View Post
If this is true, could you please explain which mode of the hardware is sampled? thank you in advance!
It's already in the first post, sounds like only the soft mode is sampled. (downwards compression) the 'hard' mode of the 2030/8900 is an upwards compressor.

G's response you quoted has nothing to do with the soft or hard modes ... He's just stating that it was sampled in stereo.

If you want to learn more about the hardware, read the manuals :

- https://audiorents.com/library/userM...1_GML_8900.pdf
- https://www.massenburg.com/wp-conten...8900refNew.pdf

That should explain some of the theory behind how the hardware functions .... if you're still interested to learn more, Massenburg did an interview in an old tape-op magazine you can buy from their archives that goes into greater detail about the design considerations and history of development. ..

Long story short ...

GM was doing a bunch of research in the late 70's on analog computers. (like the stuff they used for the NASA missions) ... that is where the theory of the DRC came from ...

in the late 80's technology had advanced enough to actually build a workable commercial unit. The 8900 was one of the first (if not the first) audio rack unit to extensively utilize SMD.... There also were 3 or 4 different VCA's used in the design over the years (DBX, Valley People, etc..) , but eventually GML built their own which lives in the 2030 and is very clean.

The unit isn't a compressor. it is 100% an analog computer.

The 2030/8900 is a collection of individual analog computers, all feeding each other (log conversion block, 3x RMS/detector blocks, an analog comparator block).... the run-states of these analog computers dictate the control voltage going to the VCA gain-control element directly.

- Log Conversion computer has no user-input controls
- The Crest/Fast control set the state-limits of the analog comparator computer
- The Timing control sets the state-limits of the 3x detector blocks
- Gain controls the VCA output (or might be adding gain from the Opamp?)
- Hard/Soft flips the logic of the system from thres below/thres above
- Thres/Ratio are standard compressor controls, and not part of the analog computer system (I believe).

The actual audio-signal-path is very minimalist:
- balancing input stage > VCA Gain > output buffer (GML opamp) to the unbalanced output ... That's it.

This is likely the most thorough explanation of this unit you will *ever* find online. It's insanely advanced and NOTHING ELSE IS LIKE IT. It's not a compressor that uses a simple envelope follower to control the gain element (VCA). It's using multiple analog computers running in real-time, and cross feeding into each other to dictate the gain movement... with two very different modes of operating (above threshold/below threshold) (hard/soft).

AA did a good job of capturing a small portion of what the unit can do. But (from necessity) left out a large amount. (only 2x of the 3x RMS detectors sampled, no explicit crest/peak controls, no release hysteresis, no hard mode, etc....) Seems like most of the plug-in GUI is dedicated to allowing the user to (statically) blend/mix the two sampled RMS blocks fast/slow, where-as in the hardware it is done for you (dynamically) by the comparator/crest computer, and you set the predictive run-state of that based on the front panel crest factor/peak controls.... My guess is they are mimicking the 'comparator' block behavior through the static user input controls to generate the envelope for their gain control element. (just a guess, AA doesn't give much info about how it works, would love greater detail from them in a manual)...

Even with Green released, the hardware is till worth every penny (IMO). If you can find one, buy it. GML is still supporting/repairing them. a 8900/2030 will teach you more about dynamics than any other unit on the market. It's not an easy unit to master , and will last a life-time/career.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
It's already in the first post, sounds like only the soft mode is sampled. (downwards compression) the 'hard' mode of the 2030/8900 is an upwards compressor.

G's response you quoted has nothing to do with the soft or hard modes ... He's just stating that it was sampled in stereo.

If you want to learn more about the hardware, read the manuals :

- https://audiorents.com/library/userM...1_GML_8900.pdf
- https://www.massenburg.com/wp-conten...8900refNew.pdf

That should explain some of the theory behind how the hardware functions .... if you're still interested to learn more, Massenburg did an interview in an old tape-op magazine you can buy from their archives that goes into greater detail about the design considerations and history of development. ..

Long story short ...

GM was doing a bunch of research in the late 70's on analog computers. (like the stuff they used for the NASA missions) ... that is where the theory of the DRC came from ...

in the late 80's technology had advanced enough to actually build a workable commercial unit. The 8900 was one of the first (if not the first) audio rack unit to extensively utilize SMD.... There also were 3 or 4 different VCA's used in the design over the years (DBX, Valley People, etc..) , but eventually GML built their own which lives in the 2030 and is very clean.

The unit isn't a compressor. it is 100% an analog computer.

The 2030/8900 is a collection of individual analog computers, all feeding each other (log conversion block, 3x RMS/detector blocks, an analog comparator block).... the run-states of these analog computers dictate the control voltage going to the VCA gain-control element directly.

- Log Conversion computer has no user-input controls
- The Crest/Fast control set the state-limits of the analog comparator computer
- The Timing control sets the state-limits of the 3x detector blocks
- Gain controls the VCA output (or might be adding gain from the Opamp?)
- Hard/Soft flips the logic of the system from thres below/thres above
- Thres/Ratio are standard compressor controls, and not part of the analog computer system (I believe).

The actual audio-signal-path is very minimalist:
- balancing input stage > VCA Gain > output buffer (GML opamp) to the unbalanced output ... That's it.

This is likely the most thorough explanation of this unit you will *ever* find online. It's insanely advanced and NOTHING ELSE IS LIKE IT. It's not a compressor that uses a simple envelope follower to control the gain element (VCA). It's using multiple analog computers running in real-time, and cross feeding into each other to dictate the gain movement... with two very different modes of operating (above threshold/below threshold) (hard/soft).

AA did a good job of capturing a small portion of what the unit can do. But (from necessity) left out a large amount. (only 2x of the 3x RMS detectors sampled, no crest/peak controls, no hard mode, etc....) Since they weren't able to duplicate the advanced analog comparator computer, they broke out all the fast/slow timings, and blends, and gains and such ... so you're manually (and statically) adjusting that mix/blend, where-as in the hardware it is done for you by the comparator/crest computer, and you set the run-state of that based on the crest factor control/peak controls.... Seems like they basically replaced the 'comparator' block with the user input controls to generate the envelope for their gain control element. (just a guess, AA doesn't give much detail about how it works)...

Even with Green released, the hardware is till worth every penny (IMO). If you can find one, buy it. GML is still supporting/repairing them. a 8900/2030 will teach you more about dynamics than any other unit on the market. It's not an easy unit to master , and will last a life-time/career.
No post has ever made me want to own a plugin more than this one! (Still can’t afford it right now though...).

Thank you for sharing this info. Interesting stuff.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear