The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PreSonus announces Studio One 5
Old 7th July 2020
News Desk Editor

PreSonus announces Studio One 5-presonus_studioone_5_show_page_overview.jpg

PreSonus Studio One 5 Delivers Extensive Live Performance and Scoring Features and Much More

Baton Rouge, Louisiana—July 2020... PreSonus®’ eagerly anticipated Studio One® 5.0 for macOS® and Windows® is here, and it’s packed with major new features. As usual with PreSonus upgrades and updates, a combination of innovative new features and users’ most requested features top the list of additions and improvements.

Studio One 5 introduces a powerful, fully integrated, live performance environment capable of running complete shows from a single computer. The Show Page combines playback of backing tracks with patch management for virtual and real instrument players inside a single window. Studio One Song channel strips, mixdowns, and virtual instrument patches can be directly exported to the Show, simplifying setup. Setlist items can be rearranged and skipped on the fly. With a dedicated full-screen performance view, adaptive real-time controls and a large meter, running a show is simple and reliable, whether you’re playing with backing tracks, controlling virtual instruments, running plug-ins as a virtual effects rack, or all three at the same time.

Composers and arrangers will appreciate Studio One 5’s new dedicated Score View for the Note Editor. Based on PreSonus’ Notion® music composition and notation software, the new Score View is available on its own or as a companion side-by-side view with the Piano and Drum Views, allowing users to enter, view, and edit notes in standard music notation. The Score View is available per track, so you can edit note data in Score View on one track while using Piano or Drum View on other tracks. Any number of tracks can be viewed simultaneously, so you can work on just one melody line or on chords over an entire orchestral section at once. Notes can be entered manually, in real-time or step recording modes. A basic set of musical symbols is provided, and the symbols directly control playback, allowing you to add tremolos, crescendos, and more and hear it all in real time.

Studio One’s Native Effects plug-in set has a well-earned reputation for exceptional sound quality, and now they’re even better. With version 5, Native Effects have undergone a major revision, adding new features and improvements for many effects, along with a new modern interface with separate dark and light themes. All dynamics effects now have sidechain inputs, and plug-ins with a filter option now have the filter added to the sidechain input as well, enabling more control over the sidechain signal and eliminating the need to add a separate filter up front. Several plug-ins with a Drive parameter now have a State Space Modeled drive stage for natural analog-sounding saturation. The Pro EQ plug-in adds major new features, including a linear-phase low-cut filter, 12th-octave spectrum display, and input and output meters with adjustable range and peak hold. Several other plug-ins have received significant enhancements for sound quality or better handling. The Studio One plug-in suite never looked or sounded this good.

Producers will be delighted with the expanded mixer scenes in Studio One 5. Users can now capture snapshots of the entire mixer at any time and can recall snapshots in a variety of different ways, with an assortment of recall options. In addition to limiting scene recall to specific parameters, recalling a scene may be limited to selected channels only. A dedicated Listen bus is also among the improvements to the Studio One mixer, letting users monitor Solo signals through a separate output channel or tune their room using advanced calibration plug-ins while leaving their main mix unaffected.

Studio One 5 includes many more new features, such as audio Clip Gain Envelopes, which provide an additional layer of gain control applied directly on an audio clip—perfect for repairing sections of audio that are too loud or too soft without using a dynamics processor. Aux inputs now allow external audio sources to be fed directly into the mixer without requiring an associated track, so external instruments can be used like virtual instruments within Studio One. (Quantum 4848 interface owners take note: This is also great for outboard processor returns!) Version 5 also adds support for key switch articulations, chasing external timecode (MTC), MPE and MIDI Poly Pressure support, recording in 64-bit floating-point WAV format, and cross-platform support for hardware-accelerated graphics.

With version 5, Studio One Artist now has built-in support for VST and AU plug-ins, ReWire, and PreSonus’ Studio One Remote control software for iPad® and Android® tablets. These features were formerly available for Studio One Artist only as separate Add-ons.

PreSonus also has expanded the ways you can get Studio One 5. Studio One 5 Professional is available now for an anticipated U.S. street price of $399.95; updates from Studio One 4 Professional are $149.95. Studio One 5 Artist is available now for a U.S. street price of $99.95; updates from version 4 are $49.95. For additional upgrade and crossgrade options and educational pricing, check with your PreSonus dealer or visit the PreSonus Shop at https://shop.presonus.com/software.

Studio One 5 Professional is also available as part of PreSonus Sphere. A global community of creative enthusiasts and respected professionals, PreSonus Sphere membership benefits provide access to PreSonus’ entire library of software, including Studio One Professional; award-winning Notion notation software; every Studio One and Notion Add-on; the complete collection of PreSonus-developed plug-ins; over 100 sample and loop libraries; cloud storage; collaboration tools; and much more. PreSonus Sphere membership rates are available either monthly ($14.95 U.S.) or annually ($164.95). Details about PreSonus Sphere are provided in a separate announcement and at www.presonus.com/sphere.

For more information about Studio One 5, including system requirements, please visit www.presonus.com/studioone.
Attached Thumbnails
PreSonus announces Studio One 5-presonus_studioone_5_show_page_overview.jpg  
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Head
This looks great, and all - but I wonder if they've made it more CPU efficient and able to run more plugins and virtual instruments? Compared to other daws, say like Reaper, it has lagged somewhat behind. Really, that's my only major concern with version 4. I didn't hear anything today in the announcements, so anybody know if they reported improvements in this area?
Old 7th July 2020
Lives for gear
Looks great. Some stuff I could use. MPE support is great to finally have.
Old 7th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealsongs View Post
This looks great, and all - but I wonder if they've made it more CPU efficient and able to run more plugins and virtual instruments? Compared to other daws, say like Reaper, it has lagged somewhat behind. Really, that's my only major concern with version 4. I didn't hear anything today in the announcements, so anybody know if they reported improvements in this area?
Same here; Really hope CPU optimisation is better now... fingers crossed
Old 7th July 2020
Lives for gear

Nice!
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Guru

+10201 on cpu hit .... last chance i give them .....

The listen bus is welcome but i really hope we can have several and it is availlable in the mastering view ... (they should have created a monitoring section , but kids don't care )
Mix recall is great and welcome ....catching up with sonar and cubase
Te live page is great but i really hope like the matrix view in sonar that we can record a live like perf to create a song structure ...if not they missed one big aspect of that view ..
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Maniac

CPU usage in S1 is a heck of a lot more efficient than Cubase for me on a PC; are you guys on Mac?

Looks like they added a lot of nice features asked for in the community!
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
CPU usage in S1 is a heck of a lot more efficient than Cubase for me on a PC; are you guys on Mac?

Looks like they added a lot of nice features asked for in the community!
I'm on pc and Cubase 10 is more efficient for me , multithreading is done better imho , still sonar is chilling while those 2 struglling ...
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Head

So far they haven’t done the best job outlining in a concise way what’s new. I just want a quick list.

Surprised and not so surprised to hear they’re taking a stab at a subscription model.

I also think all of these DAW developers put way too much work in to stock plugins. Why not focus on the DAW and leave the plugins up to 3rd party devs.

Personally I don’t want to get roped in to any one DAWs plugins, so I don’t use them.
Old 7th July 2020
Mix recall stuff is great, and might be what gets me to buy it, with clip gain envelopes a close second. The "versions" implementation in 4 is way more clunky than I'd like it to be, but I could probably get better with it.

The listen bus is cool, but it would be really cool if they added solo in front. Just a simple mix level knob would be great. I suppose you could actually set that up by having the listen bus go to the same output as the main bus...?

Still no retrospective record. I would also just about kill to be able to view bars/beats and minutes/seconds alongside each other in the top section. "Set default output" would also be nice.

No batch exporting, no other upload services like their soundcloud integration (which is great). Can you solo the bands on the proEQ2?
Old 7th July 2020
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Farmer View Post
So far they haven’t done the best job outlining in a concise way what’s new. I just want a quick list.

There is one, if you can access their website. It is under the Studio One 5 product section, "Features" - then there is a comparison page where you select which S1 version, then "Latest Additions" to see a descriptive list. Getting there is the problem right now.

Probably easier to look through the videos they have posted on YouTube.

Last edited by kdm; 7th July 2020 at 07:35 PM..
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Addict
fwiw, i think the stock plugins in S1 (v4) are great. Im looking forward to testing these new ones. Maybe its the same r&d that goes into their mixers?
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Addict
edit: go here instead

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7W...gp0QI9R61RWz0w

Last edited by Jorn Lavoll; 7th July 2020 at 07:56 PM..
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Not impressed at all.
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Addict

Cool, but there's nothing here for me to upgrade. Clip gain and mix scenes are nice. I'll wait for a few more point updates.
Old 7th July 2020
Lives for gear
Anyone know if Sphere will still include licenses for 5 computers?
Old 7th July 2020
Will still grab but I would have liked a better way to bring markers into sessions and punch in automation.
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Addict

Well, main new key features:

- Clip gain (very welcome)
- Key switches back in the piano roll, but more advanced than before
- Score editing
- Mixer scenes, which basically stores snapshots of your mix
- MPE support
- Improved external instrument handling

For me, the clip gain and key switches were high on my wish list. The mixer snapshots seem like a nice way to handle instantly switchable mix versions.
Score editing is nice to have, but not a must have for me personally.

Unfortunately, their website is having trouble. So I'm unable to get it and check if some other annoying bugs are fixed and if the fixed or improved the 'incorrect' busrouting while rendering. From the features I've seen so far, no customizable colors.

Also wanted to check out the new Presonus Sphere, but it says "Unavailable for direct purchase in your region. Click here to see a list of retailers.". The retailers pages refers back to their own site. So might be a glitch. So I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow and check if their site can handle the load by then.

Anyway, to me it will be a quite expensive way to get keyswitches back in (they were already implemented in S1 v3, but removed with the new drum editor). All in all it feels more than a 4.7 than a 5.0 to me. But putting it against for example the 4.6 upgrade, which was quite huge too, combined it's only fair that they want to charge for this upgrade. So I'll gladly support them by either upgrading or switching to the Sphere subscription (if possible). After all, it's my daily used DAW.
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Head

Unless I'm missing something, $150 seems really steep for the few features they've added. I won't be upgrading.
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Maniac

I think there should be a better upgrade price for Professional users. Same cost as lesser versions? Agreed, there doesn't seem to be a lot added to version 5 to warrant $150 at this point.
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Maniac
Eucon Support ???????
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Maniac

really impressive upgrade. Lots of areas covered for people who use DAWs in many differing ways.
As any software matures the magnitude of whizz bang new features is of diminishing returns as there is less to add each time.
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Maniac

FYI it's $120 on Audiodeluxe

EDIT: Not anymore :(

Last edited by Sacha; 7th July 2020 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Deal changed
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlogicUser View Post
Eucon Support ???????
You probably have to complaint about this with AVID. They don't seem to be that happy about using their controllers with other DAW's than PT.

I had a Control 24 and Artist Mix series. There was someone who created a driver for the Control 24, and put it online with a Youtube video. He had to take the software offline.

I switched to the Faderport 16. The faders are less nice, but are decent enough to work with. Only wish they were a bit further apart. But the price is also more friendly and its integration with S1 is awesome.

Sometimes I do miss the rotary knobs per channel thought.
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhifile View Post
I think there should be a better upgrade price for Professional users. Same cost as lesser versions? Agreed, there doesn't seem to be a lot added to version 5 to warrant $150 at this point.
Yeah, that's my problem with it. I'm only using Professional so I can use the pipeline plugin.

Artist and Professional and getting all the new features but the Professional users have to pay three times more for it. In other words, since I've paid them more in the past, they'll keep charging me more in the future, for the same upgrades.

Except its even worse, Artist users now have VST support so they're getting an even bigger upgrade than Professional users and only have to pay $50 for it rather than $150.

Way to bite the hand that feeds you.
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by James7800 View Post
Unless I'm missing something, $150 seems really steep for the few features they've added. I won't be upgrading.
Not really considering the free updates for the next two years or however long v5 is around. Their update cost have been fairly consistent since I’ve been on v2. I usually wait a couple of updates in to purchase the next version for most of the to be ironed out.

Really hope they did some under the hood improvements for more cpu efficiency.
Old 7th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle007 View Post
You probably have to complaint about this with AVID. They don't seem to be that happy about using their controllers with other DAW's than PT.

I had a Control 24 and Artist Mix series. There was someone who created a driver for the Control 24, and put it online with a Youtube video. He had to take the software offline.

I switched to the Faderport 16. The faders are less nice, but are decent enough to work with. Only wish they were a bit further apart. But the price is also more friendly and its integration with S1 is awesome.

Sometimes I do miss the rotary knobs per channel thought.
No pan knobs on faderport is certainly a mystery.
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Maniac

As a long time Studio One user (since v2.6) I'm pretty pi**ed at PreSonus right now. Another year has passed, another upgrade released and yet still they refuse to implement some basic (and needed) improvement to Studio One. How many more years will it take do implement:
- automation in the mastering page
- useful color palette
- dual panners
- crossfade editor?

The list goes on...

There are some cool new features in v5 but absolutely none that makes me even consider upgrading from v4.
Old 7th July 2020
I don't see a single improvement, same crashes occur, same GUI, same(ish) plugins, same macros, functions, same midi tools, same vst management, everything seem so SO 4 with a few add-ons useful for some, less for others. Fingers crossed i hope will get plenty of features-improvements in the near future.

It doesn't seem like a lot of work under the hood if any at all.

Edit: To be fair i love Studio One 4 and on version 5 as i see they somewhat improved all their plug-in suite, some more than others, although a bammer they didn't get a resizable GUI. It's 2020 i'm young and fully wrinkled thanks to the small GUI's from all these companies.

Last edited by NekstMusick; 7th July 2020 at 10:14 PM..
Old 7th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer View Post
- useful color palette

- crossfade editor?
Check this out, add whatever colors you want

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopi...4af6e25888329e

I'd say crossfades are like 75% of the way to what they could be.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear