The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIA Laboratories 413 Tape Saturator Release!
Old 6 days ago
Company Rep

Software MIA Laboratories 413 Tape Saturator Release!

We proudly announce the release of 413 Tape Saturator!

The 413 Tape Saturator reproduces the non-linear characteristics that would result when overdriving analog tape, as magnetic saturation occurs with increasing amplitude of the ‘recorded’ signal. It offers 3 different types of Analog Tape, as well as 3 different types of distortion.

For the saturation process, the signal gets dynamically changed, especially high frequency information, in response to its amplitude.

The resulting effect simulates the saturation of analog tape, in a controllable environment which can be adjusted according to your preference.

The user can choose among 3 different types of Analog Tape, each corresponding to the noise and saturation characteristics of 3 different well known tape brands.

3 distortion types are also available, enabling the user to produce the harmonic content/distortion one would get by overdriving certain Tube or Transistor circuits.

“The 413 is another great plug-in from friends MIA Labs.
The subtle saturation-to-increased-drive can really breath life into
an otherwise dull mix or individual instrument, and focus elements upfront.”

– Ashley Smith –
Mix Engineer / Producer
(Brad Whitford, Derek St. Holmes, Various Artists)

FEATURES:
  • Advanced Tape Saturation algorithm
  • Tube, Transistor and Soft Clipping Distortion
  • Real tape-hiss
  • ‘IEC on NAB’ playback equalization mode

Download User Guide

Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
What is the latency per instance?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Got to love tape plugins - downloading...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Got to love tape plugins - downloading...
Waiting for your report
Can't demo now
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Ok, this shaves peaks on the 2buss like nothing else....
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Zero latency and very low CPU.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff J View Post
Tried OVC128 yet? :¬)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Not entirely clear if this is Ilok Software licence compatible, or do you have to use the cloud thing if you don't have the physical dongle?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Cloud/dongle it seems.

I really like what it does to a mix, Distortion Type 3 (soft-clipping) into Tape Type 3 sounds pretty, pretty, pretty good here. It indeed shaves peaks invisibly, and adds a very pleasant density and polish.

Regarding VU calibration ("Flux Ref."), using PluginDoctor to check, Low = -14 / Medium =-11 / High = -8

A couple of observations / suggestions =
- a more detailed manual would be lovely, for instance regarding the different Tape types. Some loves to read a good manual
- as I gain stage quietly, I wish the Input knob could go higher than + 6dB

Ps: Unisum into 413 TS =
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
Cloud/dongle it seems.

I really like what it does to a mix, Distortion Type 3 (soft-clipping) into Tape Type 3 sounds pretty, pretty, pretty good here. It indeed shaves peaks invisibly, and adds a very pleasant density and polish.
The bold portion is what I get from it. In my opinion its less impressive on the mixbus when I mentally compare to what I get from analog online sites but should be fantastic on individual instruments to help add what Nil has written but also smooth out the upper mids.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Not quite so....

Unless you define "like nothing else"
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Man, it's just an expression, no need to get defensive.

I like how much I could push it into clipping without it farting out or sounding to congested while still preserving the pow-wow and clarity. This is the area where Mia plugins shine. First impressions though.

And yes, sir audio tools and voxengo and kazrog and newfangled all make excellent clippers.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I like how much I could push it into clipping without it farting out or sounding to congested while still preserving the pow-wow and clarity. This is the area where Mia plugins shine. First impressions though.

And yes, sir audio tools and voxengo and kazrog and newfangled all make excellent clippers.
Very much enjoying the coloration this tape brings. I didn't really expect it to bring anything new since I own so many other tape plugs!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Candid question after re-reading 930 SPARK blurp that does mention it (while 413's doesn't) : does 413 oversample ?

Can't help wondering how Type C Distortion would sound (being a soft-clipper, these things usually love to run in the GHz area, right?) at (insanely) higher sample rates. Actually I'd be super curious to hear only that specific part of the signal in mega ultra HD. @ MIA Laboratories ?

That plugin sounds surprisingly good (basically exactly what @ profvonsok described), it actually helped me finishing a mix I was struggling with yesterday : once I got the right settings (thanks to @ Deff J for some pointers to get started, I was intrigued by his 1st post in that topic), I got there super fast, and I love what I hear.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

How long does the intro price last?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I am very keen to try out your plugins (and after watching some vidoes: most likely have bought one or the other) if you would have the option for the authorization for iLok manager only too.
I need my ports for external drives (for a lot of Kontakt libraries), and also can't use iLok cloud because my studio is offline and also work very often in spaces like theatres, were wireless access is often very unstable if any.

I asked your support two times for the iLok manager only option, but you seemed not to be interested in implementing that.
So I ask here again, because - as I said - I really like to try your plugins.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No no... not defensive at all !

I don't know... maybe because I'm such a clip-clap die-hard, it takes REALLY something special to overwhelm me regarding how deep can one drill into a wavefrom while maintaining both transient integrity AND deep bass roundness.

Quote:

Old 5 days ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwuw View Post
I am very keen to try out your plugins (and after watching some vidoes: most likely have bought one or the other) if you would have the option for the authorization for iLok manager only too.
I need my ports for external drives (for a lot of Kontakt libraries), and also can't use iLok cloud because my studio is offline and also work very often in spaces like theatres, were wireless access is often very unstable if any.

I asked your support two times for the iLok manager only option, but you seemed not to be interested in implementing that.
So I ask here again, because - as I said - I really like to try your plugins.

We do not allow activation on host computer, mainly for security reasons. The only available activation options are physical iLok (usb) or iLok cloud.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Would be great to find out.....
Old 5 days ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
does 413 oversample ?
No oversampling is used for the 413 Tape Saturator process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Introductory price will end in July 12.

Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA Laboratories View Post

Introductory price will end in July 12.

Thank you!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA Laboratories View Post
May I ask why?
The plugin sounds good indeed. Wouldn’t it benefit by oversampling?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Imo Mia latest releases are impressive. 358 enhancer, 980 spark and now the 413 tape. I encourage anyone who haven't tried to demo
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Crush View Post
Imo Mia latest releases are impressive. 358 enhancer and now the 413 tape. I encourage anyone who haven't tried to demo both
Don't forget the 925 comp!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
Don't forget the 925 comp!
Absolutely, and the 980 spark
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
As already expressed, I regret the lack of a more informative manual (think u-he, TDR or DMG Audio). It never hurts to know the developer’s intentions : for instance, is 100% equivalent to the full saturation range of the modeled tape machines, or is it ways past their optimal range ?

I already bought the plugin, and am currently using it, so I know how versatile and super good sounding 413 is. Still, I’d love to know what happens under the hood.

Finally, I wish I could calibrate the plugin to an arbitrary value rather than L/M/H.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

not seeing gang controls on the GUI. Is it there?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

This one is special and quite different sounding from other tape plugins. I like it very much, it is very good at smoothing out harsh sounds.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Have to try this little new baby. From the feedback here it seems to be another one great plugin.
The 925 compressor lives in every project I mix, as also Pi&Fi, 358 enhancer and 980 Sparkle.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Anyone compared this to IK Tapes? Those are my favs but they are CPU intense. I’d love something in the same ballpark sound wise with a lighter footprint.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear