The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIA Laboratories 413 Tape Saturator Release!
Old 18 hours ago
  #31
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
Anyone compared this to IK Tapes? Those are my favs but they are CPU intense. I’d love something in the same ballpark sound wise with a lighter footprint.
Yeah, I compared them yesterday. IMO (of course) IK Tape 24 is on another level. To be fair, this is zero latency and very low CPU, so they're not really comparable workflow wise.

I did quite enjoy Tape C, but I have other tools for clipping and saturation that I prefer, so I think I'll be passing on this one.
Old 18 hours ago
  #32
Gear Addict
 
highvoltage's Avatar
Dunno, this one sounds super artificial to me.
It's just like a dynamic highshelf envelope emulating the high roll-off. Very much like a cartoon version of tape.
If you drive it hard on the drum bus (tape A) on max saturation this effect becomes evident. It's more like a Fatso emulation in that regard.
I don't hear anything special here nor in any of their other products.

I remember staying away from this company because of those hilarious color EQ's, but now i know why.
Old 17 hours ago
  #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
Dunno, this one sounds super artificial to me.
It's just like a dynamic highshelf envelope emulating the high roll-off. Very much like a cartoon version of tape.
If you drive it hard on the drum bus (tape A) on max saturation this effect becomes evident. It's more like a Fatso emulation in that regard.
I don't hear anything special here nor in any of their other products.

I remember staying away from this company because of those hilarious color EQ's, but now i know why.
I wouldn't be so hard on MIA because I really like the Pi&Phi eq and their Enhancer plugin (handful and simple), but this tape saturator doesn't sound special to me too.
Old 17 hours ago
  #34
Gear Addict
 
highvoltage's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor View Post
I wouldn't be so hard on MIA because I really like the Pi&Phi eq and their Enhancer plugin (handful and simple), but this tape saturator doesn't sound special to me too.
Yeah, sorry i might have been a little harsh.
Old 17 hours ago
  #35
Gear Maniac
 
Digital Crush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
Dunno, this one sounds super artificial to me.
It's just like a dynamic highshelf envelope emulating the high roll-off. Very much like a cartoon version of tape.
If you drive it hard on the drum bus (tape A) on max saturation this effect becomes evident. It's more like a Fatso emulation in that regard.
I don't hear anything special here nor in any of their other products.

I remember staying away from this company because of those hilarious color EQ's, but now i know why.
I disagree. Imho of course
Old 16 hours ago
  #36
unr
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
Anyone compared this to IK Tapes? Those are my favs but they are CPU intense. I’d love something in the same ballpark sound wise with a lighter footprint.
I think the IK Tapes are whole different approach and different use case.

The MIA Tape saturator sounds more like a color box to me and I like the clipping/saturation possible with it without breaking to digital harshness.


To the others discussing:
Please name me a color/clipper which can do these things in these flavors available here.

I do not mean clean or hard clipping, those I got.
Old 16 hours ago
  #37
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Oooh, it's a Marmite Tape plug. Might have to check it out.
Old 16 hours ago
  #38
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Yeah, I compared them yesterday. IMO (of course) IK Tape 24 is on another level. To be fair, this is zero latency and very low CPU, so they're not really comparable workflow wise.

I did quite enjoy Tape C, but I have other tools for clipping and saturation that I prefer, so I think I'll be passing on this one.
I pass too. Can't replace IK Tape despite the high CPU of the latter.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump