The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
STEEL STRUMMER FOR KONTAKT! Acoustic guitar strumming library by Past To Future
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Cool STEEL STRUMMER FOR KONTAKT! Acoustic guitar strumming library by Past To Future

PTF - STEEL STRUMMER

If a MIDI library deals with the topic "strumming an acoustic guitar", the result can often be very artificial and hideous, even with many popular and well-known libraries. It was our challenge that we develop a strumming guitar library that should sound realistic and is very diverse in its area of application for all music genres.

That's why we took our beloved "Martin D-18" in hand to get the typical standard acoustic guitar sound. We decided to record on a stereo setup with two "Schoeps CMC 5" microphones in XY microphone position.

Then we played chord by chord, countless chords... We cleverly scripted the samples into a small masterpiece in which we can now realistically represent an acoustic guitar in strumming mode.

Here are the main features:

- STEEL STRUMMER.nkm for Kontakt 5.4.3 (48khz/24bit)

- authentic tempo-independent rhythmic play of acoustic guitar strums

- controllable velocity hit for a mix-ready sound! 3 articulations of strummings that are easily handled in a live mode situation; Playing soft: power chords / playing medium: open strum chords / playing hard: sus-chords

- 30 RR per tonepitch

- easy to use interface / one-octave major, one-octave minor

- dead easy control of humanized guitar noise in sustain mode and normal playing mode. Modwheel for SUSTAIN/black "c" for STOPing chord sustain with humanized guitar noise and stop noise. That's all!

This enables a live performance to be presented very convincingly.

Above all, the number of RoundRobins and the ease of use of the controller makes this instrument a natural-sounding acoustic guitar strummer.

Check out the demos!

Available now at; www.gumroad.com/pasttofuturereverbs

We are proud to bring you sounds you can’t find anywhere else!

A Past to Future Release

Attached Thumbnails
STEEL STRUMMER FOR KONTAKT! Acoustic guitar strumming library by Past To Future-steel-strummer-kontakt-cover.jpg   STEEL STRUMMER FOR KONTAKT! Acoustic guitar strumming library by Past To Future-bildschirmfoto-2020-06-25-um-17.03.49.png  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I guess, the Dark Side drums didn't work out, so release date had to be pushed to indefinite. too bad.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

What a great idea of catching a strumming guitar into a library. PTF is on fire!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzler View Post
What a great idea of catching a strumming guitar inro a library. PTF is on fire!!
Thanks a lot! Enjoy!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Are these loops?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Don't like the sound of it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bammbamm View Post
Don't like the sound of it.
Maybe you like nylon strings
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sounds awesome. Intimate Indie AG strumming is some of the more challenging VI to pull off, I’ve found. PTFS is starting to put my actual guitar collection at risk.
And, absolutely love that you have the exact Kontakt version listed right up front-thank you!

atb,
kjb
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by broco View Post
Are these loops?
Thank you for your interest. No, this library is not based on loops. You can play it like a real MIDI instrument regardless of any tempo.
Look at the keyboard in the video. It's an innovative system that has never existed before.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastToFuture View Post
Thank you for your interest. No, this library is not based on loops. You can play it like a real MIDI instrument regardless of any tempo.
Look at the keyboard in the video. It's an innovative system that has never existed before.
That's awesome. So you did a strumming library that isn't loop-based, I can't believe that! It sounds real.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
That's awesome. So you did a strumming library that isn't loop-based, I can't believe that! It sounds so real.
Sometimes it's really better to read the introductory text first.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzler View Post
Sometimes it's really better to read the introductory text first.

Okay, last question, how does it act in a faster song with faster strumming actions?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I bought it yesterday, and I love it. Very playable, and sounds more real than any other strumming VI I've tried. The downsides are the relatively few types of chords (and they're all barre chords, I think?) and the relatively rough playing, so it's not suitable/usable for everything. The price would be criminally low if it was, tbf. It won't retire my Ample AGT, but it'll definitely replace or supplement it on many of my tracks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Really like the sound, playability, etc. But the load time is incredibly sloooooo from both my Desktop and Ext HD (3 mins). Is there any way to improve this? Even tried a Save-As (didn't help) and this is happening in both K581 & K604.

Thx for any thoughts.

Last edited by acmusic; 1 week ago at 10:21 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I purchased it and also love it. Finally a library with REAL chords. I cannot report any loading difficulties. It takes only 10 seconds (i5/WIN7) and the library is completely loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciurus View Post
Very playable, and sounds more real than any other strumming VI I've tried.
I can confirm that and I have a lot guitar libraries (payed SO much money for them). After all these years I recognized that "strumming" must be one of the hardest part to program that in form of an VI.
Here are my thought. The number of the alternative samples of full chords is really remarkable and three articulations for every chord on one key is easy to control and a good selection for varied playing. (Five articulations for one chords would be also nice, but that would no longer be controllable in live playing.)
Interesting is also the behaviour of the velocity range of keyhits which is not for quite or load playing or for volume control. This "tactile" technique allows you to play different chord articulations in the same volume. This idea is sensational and gives you immediate access to a larger selection of articulations during the live performance.

PTF, you really outdid yourself and I wish you much success with it. Cheers to you!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

just here to say the singer in the demo sounds like neil tennant
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andaman View Post
just here to say the singer in the demo sounds like neil tennant
You mean my voice!?

First of all I would like to mention that I am in no way connected to PTF. The PTF (nice-)guys sometimes ask me if I could make a demo song for them and test some of their libraries, in return, I get it for free, which is a nice deal for me.

So my voice sounds like PSB .... Oh no, I don't know if that's a compliment, rather a statement, that's okay, but thanks for mentioning it anyway. I hope I can prove the opposite.
https://soundcloud.com/anydaylong

Btw., Steel Strummer is innovatively great, but "Strat Strummer" is going to be absolutely mindblowing. I hope I haven't given away too much now...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Okay, last question, how does it act in a faster song with faster strumming actions?
I will post some examples later today.
Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I purchased it and also love it. Finally a library with REAL chords. I cannot report any loading difficulties. It takes only 10 seconds (i5/WIN7) and the library is completely loaded.

I can confirm that and I have a lot guitar libraries (payed SO much money for them). After all these years I recognized that "strumming" must be one of the hardest part to program that in form of an VI.
Here are my thought. The number of the alternative samples of full chords is really remarkable and three articulations for every chord on one key is easy to control and a good selection for varied playing. (Five articulations for one chords would be also nice, but that would no longer be controllable in live playing.)
Interesting is also the behaviour of the velocity range of keyhits which is not for quite or load playing or for volume control. This "tactile" technique allows you to play different chord articulations in the same volume. This idea is sensational and gives you immediate access to a larger selection of articulations during the live performance.

PTF, you really outdid yourself and I wish you much success with it. Cheers to you!
Thanks a lot!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Some demotracks in a faster tempo would be nice.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picadilly View Post
Some demotracks in a faster tempo would be nice.
Here you go;

Slow, fast, super-fast;

Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Wow...
Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow...
Thanks!
No problem I hope it helped
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmusic View Post
Really like the sound, playability, etc. But the load time is incredibly sloooooo from both my Desktop and Ext HD (3 mins). Is there any way to improve this? Even tried a Save-As (didn't help) and this is happening in both K581 & K604.

Thx for any thoughts.
Interesting no problem on my Mac. It opens in about 12 sec.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting no problem on my Mac. It opens in about 12 sec.
Thanks for connecting. Yeah, never had this happen before with any other library. I tried re-opening a session that had SS already tracked and it recalled quickly. It’s just the initial load that’s the problem. When choosing SS, it hangs for about 90-120 sec, then another minute where I’m getting an actual Kontakt Sample Loading progress window. Also, the same for Stand Alone.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for connecting. Yeah, never had this happen before with any other library. I tried re-opening a session that had SS already tracked and it recalled quickly. It’s just the initial load that’s the problem. When choosing SS, it hangs for about 90-120 sec, then another minute where I’m getting an actual Kontakt Sample Loading progress window. Also, the same for Stand Alone.
Which version of Kontakt do you use?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which version of Kontakt do you use?
K581 & K604 Full.

I just tried ReDownloading, using various UnZip Utilites besides Apple's Default, as well as changing Permissions and the Default Opening App in 'Get Info'. Pretty much everything I could think of. But not getting the Progress Window (and spinning Beach Ball) for the first 3/4 of the Load seems the most unusual to me. I've had other slower type loads after that window appears but nothing like this. I wonder if the fact that its saved as a Multi could have anything to do with it?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
K581 & K604 Full.

I just tried ReDownloading, using various UnZip Utilites besides Apple's Default, as well as changing Permissions and the Default Opening App in 'Get Info'. Pretty much everything I could think of. But not getting the Progress Window (and spinning Beach Ball) for the first 3/4 of the Load seems the most unusual to me. I've had other slower type loads after that window appears but nothing like this. I wonder if the fact that its saved as a Multi could have anything to do with it?
Actually not :/
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Okay, this strum library really exchanges every other of my VI strummer. Why is it so cheap?
The samples are loaded flawlessly quickly, no problem here.
In another forum you mentioned that other strumming libraries will follow. Some more details would be nice!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay, this strum library really exchanges every other of my VI strummer. Why is it so cheap?
The samples are loaded flawlessly quickly, no problem here.
In another forum you mentioned that other strumming libraries will follow. Some more details would be nice!
Thanks a lot. We have some other strumming libraries ready. (Strat, Ukulele, Mandolin etc.) If the interest keeps increasing we will release them, too
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear