The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Lion Audio announces Sweetwater as the exclusive seller of the modded KT2A
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Black Lion Audio announces Sweetwater as the exclusive seller of the modded KT2A

Opto Hot Mod
A Sweetwater Exclusive, the Black Lion Audio Modded Klark Teknik KT2A Optical Tube Leveling Amplifier is Black Lion’s super-tweaked mod of one of the finest tube opto-compressors on the market today. The hot-modders at Black Lion have replaced the opto cell in the unit, recalibrated the gain and threshold to BLA standards as in their excellent B172A. They also recalibrated the meter to show true zero and accurate gain reduction. And after a final full-function bench test, the Black Lion Audio Modded Klark Teknik KT2A is ready for deployment in your studio.

The Klark Teknik KT2A
Inspired by the mother of all optical compressors, Klark Teknik set the bar high for its KT-2A Leveling Amplifier. With its warm, musical sound and flexible, highly effective dynamics control, the KT-2A is eminently useful in live settings and in all stages of the recording process, from tracking to mixing to mastering. The beating heart of the KT-2A is a vintage-style no-lag optical attenuator based on the same electroluminescent technology employed in its 1960s predecessor. The KT-2A is built using high-quality discrete components — all of which meet or exceed the specifications of the legendary compressor it is based on. Its characteristic warmth comes courtesy of hand-selected premium 12AX7, 12BH7, and EL84 tubes in a circuit that delivers ultra-low-noise output with tight bass, liquid midrange, and delicate, airy treble.

Black Lion's world-class mods
Since 2006, Black Lion Audio has helped musicians and engineers improve the sound of their equipment, and they’ve built a solid reputation for coaxing world-class sound out of modestly priced gear. As an outfit that cut its teeth doing acclaimed mods, Black Lion, unsurprisingly, produces innovative audio equipment of their own design that consistently outperforms its price range. But mods or originals, you can be confident you’re always getting outstanding value from the Black Lion gear you buy at Sweetwater!

Black Lion Audio Modded Klark Teknik KT2A Optical Tube Leveling Amplifier Features:

Sweetwater Exclusive
Klark Teknik KT2A with Black Lion modifications:
Replaced opto cell
Recalibrated the gain and threshold
Recalibrated meter for higher accuracy

Video below:

https://youtu.be/K5rakFVC-Bg
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This could be interesting....
Old 1 week ago
I'm going to buy it.
Old 1 week ago
This is going to run really hot...there's a reason why the original design had the tubes and opto cell on the outside of the units housing. I wonder how this is going to hold up over the long haul. The tech engineer I use for maintaining my gear says he works on gear where the designer packs too many things into a small space, and with tubes etc you're going to throw off some serious heat...and everything is just baking. This looks questionable.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Whats the price? And will it be availbale in europe?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
Whats the price? And will it be availbale in europe?
If you read the post, it says it's exclusive to Sweetwater.

If you look it up on Sweetwater it says it costs $600.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
If you read the post, it says it's exclusive to Sweetwater.

If you look it up on Sweetwater it says it costs $600.
the original one costed around 300€, I guess is better go for a DIY clone or just other comp.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
the original one costed around 300€, I guess is better go for a DIY clone or just other comp.
A new unit costs just under $400 in the U.S.A.

BLA charge $99 for their replacement opto cell by itself. So I guess it's $100 additionally for them to open the box up, replace the cell, and make the recalibration. Anyone could do that themselves, but some people either don't have confidence or don't want to bother.

You need to 1) be really interested in what that opto cell is adding to the overall effect and 2) be a willing buyer who doesn't want to mess with your own gear.

I guess overall $600 is still a good price for a tube opto compressor, if you think enough is added. Audioscape is double that. Summit Audio's TLA 50 is $200-$300 more. Golden Age Projects is a bit more and might not give you more. Not sure what else would qualify.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
A new unit costs just under $400 in the U.S.A.

BLA charge $99 for their replacement opto cell by itself. So I guess it's $100 additionally for them to open the box up, replace the cell, and make the recalibration. Anyone could do that themselves, but some people either don't have confidence or don't want to bother.

You need to 1) be really interested in what that opto cell is adding to the overall effect and 2) be a willing buyer who doesn't want to mess with your own gear.

I guess overall $600 is still a good price for a tube opto compressor, if you think enough is added. Audioscape is double that. Summit Audio's TLA 50 is $200-$300 more. Golden Age Projects is a bit more and might not give you more. Not sure what else would qualify.
I wouldn’t compare the audioscape to what this unit is... even remotely...

This and the warm audio (stock) are perfectly fine opto comps... la2a’s? Naw...

I’d love them to be! Just for the price point alone it’d be awesome... it’s certainly a clever way to get new folks into the rabbit hole of outboard, though... well played Behringer... well played
Old 6 days ago
I purchased it. I'll see where this goes.....
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I recently replaced the opto in my kt2a to the black lion. No calibration though. The BLA opto is different for sure. I prefer it. In the actual KT2A posts i posted some rough examples of with the original Opto and with the BLA, very crude but give you a view of the differences.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear