The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Output - Thermal
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
nott's Avatar
 

Output - Thermal

This looks damn good:

Quote:
THERMAL by Output | Interactive Distortion Plugin



THERMAL multi-stage engine goes beyond typical distortion, making it easy to experiment and dial in new sounds.
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
alexishere's Avatar
 

Upgrade price for all plugin bundle owner - $99
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Fleer's Avatar
Seems somewhat similar to iZotope’s Trash2.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

soundexamples sound underwhelming to me. I thought Movement was brilliant, and Portal was a decent mangler effect. But this one? Sure it doesn't sound 'bad'... but not unique in any way, either, reminds me of Cableguys Shaperbox, Saturn, Soundtoys (combining different effects in the Rack), AudioDamage also have maglers that work with distortion/saturation. This one is kind of (very) late to the party. The x/y macros might be cool for a live performace, but that's about it.

Or then whoever did the demos didn't know how to use the thing... always an option
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Amazing video... But I'm not blown away by the sound in it tbh.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Sound design with nothing but a saw wave and Thermal.

Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 

I picked it up because I like Output stuff, and I do like some of the sound so far. I will say that I find it interesting that there are quotes used in their marketing from Sound on Sound and Future Music among other review sites that I cannot find anywhere on those sites. Don't know whats up with that.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
jsvalmont's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
I picked it up because I like Output stuff, and I do like some of the sound so far. I will say that I find it interesting that there are quotes used in their marketing from Sound on Sound and Future Music among other review sites that I cannot find anywhere on those sites. Don't know whats up with that.
Since it’s such a new release I’ll guess those just haven’t been published yet.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 

I have 14 days left on my Saturn 2 demo. Was gonna buy Thermal and 'return' it if Saturn 2 beat it out. Looks like I'll wait and see how the thread develops before diving in with Thermal. Might not be worth the trip!
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
I have 14 days left on my Saturn 2 demo. Was gonna buy Thermal and 'return' it if Saturn 2 beat it out. Looks like I'll wait and see how the thread develops before diving in with Thermal. Might not be worth the trip!
I have quite a bit of experience with Saturn 2 at this point, and fiddled around with Thermal for an hour today. What I can say right out the gate is that whatever algos they are using for distortion / saturation are quite different so it has a different sound. I actually think Thermal is closer to something like Decapitator in it's vibe than Saturn 2. Both are extremely flexible and cool tools, but I think I would listen carefully to their sound and pick on that basis if you have to choose.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Fleer's Avatar
Which one is better for harmonic soundscaping or soft distortion?
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
Which one is better for harmonic soundscaping or soft distortion?
Soft distortion seems like a subjective term to me, I don’t know how to quantify it. I will say that I think (as another poster noted above) the Soundtoys bundle can create a lot of similar sounds using the rack. To me (and here is where it gets subjective) the tones in Saturn sound more sparkly, and with Saturn 2 there are even some very subtle but dense tones similar to what I get out of True Iron. With that said I need to spend more time with Thermal, as I only spent an hour or so with it and I’ve been mixing with Saturn 2 as my primary saturation for the past couple weeks since it came out.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
Soft distortion seems like a subjective term to me, I don’t know how to quantify it. I will say that I think (as another poster noted above) the Soundtoys bundle can create a lot of similar sounds using the rack. To me (and here is where it gets subjective) the tones in Saturn sound more sparkly, and with Saturn 2 there are even some very subtle but dense tones similar to what I get out of True Iron. With that said I need to spend more time with Thermal, as I only spent an hour or so with it and I’ve been mixing with Saturn 2 as my primary saturation for the past couple weeks since it came out.
There are 2 presets in Saturn by Bmanic. Mythical 3D and Das Scoop. I use '3D' on Drum OHs and Das Scoop on drum Rooms for that fill in gap sound. I will give Thermal a go and see how it stands up to those 2 settings, which I know many people hate presets, but when they are created masterfully and with purpose hating on a preset will leave you out in the cold...
Old 1 week ago
  #14
I wasn't so impressed by this. Entertaining graphics and knobs and slides aside, it's not providing anything other manglers don't already do. Saturn (haven't tried V2 yet), Trash, and others. Their last two efforts have fallen short, imo.
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Meh...another waveshaper plugin that uses fancy terminology to dance around the fact its just a waveshaper plugin.pass.those demos sound shyte to put it frankly
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
alexishere's Avatar
 

Underwhelmed by the sound.. I love output though. There’s a fair bit of overlap too with portal and movement. I also wish there was an envelope follower (or is there?)
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Loopy C's Avatar
 

FWIW, 'Create Digital Music' did a pretty detailed article on 'Thermal'.

https://cdm.link/2020/06/outputs-the...o-but-precise/

That, and 'Trackbout's' video above do seem to make it out to be an interesting 'laboratory' for designing kinetic distortion effects ;-)
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy C View Post
FWIW, 'Create Digital Music' did a pretty detailed article on 'Thermal'.

https://cdm.link/2020/06/outputs-the...o-but-precise/

That, and 'Trackbout's' video above do seem to make it out to be an interesting 'laboratory' for designing kinetic distortion effects ;-)
Really good article and webiste.Future Publishing could take note as Future Music and Computer Music reviews read like advertisements for the most part these days

There seems to be some kind of recurring logic with people who gravitate to plugins that more control=infinite possibilities in terms of tone but you need to remember.the bottleneck is the core of the method e.g in this case waveshaping.it doesn't matter how many drive stages you cascade you are still dealing with a nonlinear element that has no memory to it.solid state components don't really have much if any memory but nothing is ever just on or static in outboard distortion/saturation/compression etc.say you cascaded an EQ with an amp stage,a preamp and a compressor.doing that in analog chain is not like just simply applying those plugins serially on your DAW's mixer lane there are crazy interactions that occur before you even begin to start processing(engaging them from unity or just passing the input through the different circuits)which makes the signal more palatable and "musical"this simply can't occur in a plugin because a plugin is basically a closed box there's no real Interaction between each element you add to the chain and i have a theory at least that is why doing a tonne of serial processing purely ITB seems to make mixes sound utterly disconnected,you get noise and usually increasing slew rate,THD,noise doing it with outboard but it never sounds disconnected,just a different and polarising flavour

Im ranting a bit here but the point i was trying to make is that a waveshaper is just that,its the transfer curve and nothing else.having filters for each stage is cool and all but all its really doing is keeping certain parts of the spectrum from clipping sooner than others and adding things like LFO's and stuff sounds a bit gimmicky and only really comes in use on rhythmic edits and things like that.sorry i just don't think adding some basic modulation to something that has a very predictable response to gain and frequency miraculously makes it more useful

Just listen to the demo even on the Output Youtube page and you can hear what i am talking about.the kick sounds flatter than the dry sound and its completely destroyed the bottom end(plus the bottom ends arrival time relative to the transient for whatever reason..oversampling??)

If you already have something like Trash or Saturn(for the feedback)
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 

sadly after lots of playing with this, I feel like it fits into the same box as the rest of the output products I own. Cool ideas, lots of options and knobs to twist, but hard to reach a sound I will practically use in a mix. Oh well.
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
Really good article and webiste.Future Publishing could take note as Future Music and Computer Music reviews read like advertisements for the most part these days

There seems to be some kind of recurring logic with people who gravitate to plugins that more control=infinite possibilities in terms of tone but you need to remember.the bottleneck is the core of the method e.g in this case waveshaping.it doesn't matter how many drive stages you cascade you are still dealing with a nonlinear element that has no memory to it.solid state components don't really have much if any memory but nothing is ever just on or static in outboard distortion/saturation/compression etc.say you cascaded an EQ with an amp stage,a preamp and a compressor.doing that in analog chain is not like just simply applying those plugins serially on your DAW's mixer lane there are crazy interactions that occur before you even begin to start processing(engaging them from unity or just passing the input through the different circuits)which makes the signal more palatable and "musical"this simply can't occur in a plugin because a plugin is basically a closed box there's no real Interaction between each element you add to the chain and i have a theory at least that is why doing a tonne of serial processing purely ITB seems to make mixes sound utterly disconnected,you get noise and usually increasing slew rate,THD,noise doing it with outboard but it never sounds disconnected,just a different and polarising flavour

Im ranting a bit here but the point i was trying to make is that a waveshaper is just that,its the transfer curve and nothing else.having filters for each stage is cool and all but all its really doing is keeping certain parts of the spectrum from clipping sooner than others and adding things like LFO's and stuff sounds a bit gimmicky and only really comes in use on rhythmic edits and things like that.sorry i just don't think adding some basic modulation to something that has a very predictable response to gain and frequency miraculously makes it more useful

Just listen to the demo even on the Output Youtube page and you can hear what i am talking about.the kick sounds flatter than the dry sound and its completely destroyed the bottom end(plus the bottom ends arrival time relative to the transient for whatever reason..oversampling??)

If you already have something like Trash or Saturn(for the feedback)
What analog distortion(s) do you use?I'm looking for a nice distortion and my pedals sound bad with my synths.The low end is largely as destroyed as with plugins.I have a Acapulco and a MXR Distortion+ (both clones.Maybe bad clones??I didn't make any comparison with the real things).
Old 6 days ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLadder View Post
What analog distortion(s) do you use?I'm looking for a nice distortion and my pedals sound bad with my synths.The low end is largely as destroyed as with plugins.I have a Acapulco and a MXR Distortion+ (both clones.Maybe bad clones??I didn't make any comparison with the real things).
I don't really like guitar pedal distortion either it's too brutal for most of what i am into,though saying that i do like the Death By Robot stuff(their fuzz pedals are pretty good at maintaining weight in the bottom octaves).i mostly use 500 series pres/EQ's/comps with amp stages,tape,and old mixing desks for saturation.i also wired up a bunch of transformers to take input directly rather than them be part of a circuits which i get a lot of use out of
Old 6 days ago
  #22
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
I don't really like guitar pedal distortion either it's too brutal for most of what i am into,though saying that i do like the Death By Robot stuff(their fuzz pedals are pretty good at maintaining weight in the bottom octaves).i mostly use 500 series pres/EQ's/comps with amp stages,tape,and old mixing desks for saturation.i also wired up a bunch of transformers to take input directly rather than them be part of a circuits which i get a lot of use out of
Ok thank you my friend.I don't use any analog mixer or any outboard gear either.Just synths and some pedals.
I'm very interested in the DIY transformer technique.Do you have any tip to make that,please?First,I don't know which transformer I have to find.
Old 6 days ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLadder View Post
Ok thank you my friend.I don't use any analog mixer or any outboard gear either.Just synths and some pedals.
I'm very interested in the DIY transformer technique.Do you have any tip to make that,please?First,I don't know which transformer I have to find.
I got the idea from a Tapeop article i read a few years ago,but you can't read it now as it requires a subscription


https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=60623.0

this thread goes over some guidelines on how to do it though.i'm really not the person to ask when it comes to things regarding electrical engineering.i only managed to do this because of the fact it was a step by step guide
Old 6 days ago
  #24
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
I got the idea from a Tapeop article i read a few years ago,but you can't read it now as it requires a subscription


https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=60623.0

this thread goes over some guidelines on how to do it though.i'm really not the person to ask when it comes to things regarding electrical engineering.i only managed to do this because of the fact it was a step by step guide
Thank you very much for your input,I'll have a look at this web page right now.
Old 5 days ago
  #25
Here for the gear
 

How does it hit on the CPU? For me it could be a dealbreaker
Old 5 days ago
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakria View Post
How does it hit on the CPU? For me it could be a dealbreaker
Seemed lightweight to me
Old 5 days ago
  #27
Here for the gear
If Output is developer you already know it will be good. I've yet to see a plugin from them that isnt worth a buy. I love the approach they take on every product. rather than play follow the leader they try to sucker punch, drop and step over every other developer and break new ground.
Old 5 days ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Volt9's Avatar
I use portal a lot, almost every song. And I'm sure I will use this one also. I am liking it so far.

I love there way of thinking. And (as with a lot of good stuff) you need to grow on it. So much opportunity to make it your own and use it in a unique way! That is what I really like about there stuff.
Old 5 days ago
  #29
Lives for gear
 
solidstate's Avatar
 

Does anybody know if it supports NKS?

Surprised to see all the meh reactions! I absolutely love Output stuff! The UI always look clean and easy to use, presets browsing is super fast to and of course most of their plug ins and VI sound great.

That said I haven’t try this one yet.. Mmmmm, will report back after I test drive for a few days..
Old 5 days ago
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Fleer's Avatar
I love all things Output as well. They’re highly inspirational. Great instruments and interesting effects like Portal and Movement. Good company.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump