The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ToneBoosters releases Compressor 4
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

ToneBoosters releases Compressor 4

Taken from Facebook post:

• Gorgeous user interface that shows levels, compression and curves in real time
  • Assisted sliders helping you to make the right decisions quickly
  • External side chain option with channel selectors and full-fledged integrated equalizer
  • Side chain real-time spectrum analyzer
  • Compression zones: Select which channels and frequency range to apply compression to
  • Ultra-low harmonic distortion (<-100dB typically) for pristine dynamics processing
  • Unlimited internal headroom
  • Lookahead attack and adaptive release options
  • Configurable release curve shape
  • Configurable soft knee and compression range parameters
  • Audition modes for side chain and signal affected by compression in isolation
  • Amount control for parallel / New York style compression
  • High DSP core efficiency to allow many instances simultaneously
  • Resizable user interfaces with many color themes to choose from
  • Peak, peak hold and RMS output VU meters
  • Real-time output spectrum analyzer
  • Undo, redo, copy, paste, and A/B switching of settings

Available for €29 or $30.

https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_compressor_v4.html
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Yeah it's another compressor plugin but I think the visualization is helpful. Can't wait to try it when I get off work.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Looks great. I probably can't resist, but I have to test it first.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Does TBProAudio generally do sales?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by axb312 View Post
Does TBProAudio generally have sales?

This is ToneBoosters, not TBProAudio...but no they don't.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbyguitar View Post
This is ToneBoosters, not TBProAudio...but no they don't.
Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

€29 is a sale price, for most other companies...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Looking forward trying this. From the looks of it on devs web page it has pretty nice and broad functionality. What I'm particularly interested in are compression algorithms and "sound" of this processor. Or should I say it's transparency.

Code is being more and more fine-tuned as time passes and some features like it's "sound", oversampling and artifacts, GUI sizes or in this case scalability are all pluses in these time of age!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This one sounds great! Super flexible side chain, and configurable release curve shapes are top notch. Really incredible tool. Bravo!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Surely it looks nice. It has some fabifilter vibe. And the price is ridicolous. Great job
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by massitr View Post
Surely it looks nice. It has some fabifilter vibe. And the price is ridicolous. Great job
Indeed there is a similarity with the fab GUI, for this price....incredible!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picadilly View Post
Indeed there is a similarity with the fab GUI, for this price....incredible!
Especially when you realize that he's just gonna keep adding stuff to it like he's done with the other V4 plugins. ToneBoosters plugins are always a tremendous value.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This looks excellent. Unisum has way too many knobs and everyone who values their time knows that. So 30 bucks for what looks like a mastering compressor is an instant buy

Parallel comp, gain limit, adjustable knee and release, that's all sick features. And way less knobs. Yeah I totally hope this thing sounds sweet cuz I am ready for a new transparent compressor.

Nice price too!

Thank you Toneboosters.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

With the way they’ve put nearly every product of theirs on iOS for both iPhone and iPads, I’m ready to start digging in and supporting this dev on the desktop too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumerei1838 View Post
This looks excellent. Unisum has way too many knobs and everyone who values their time knows that. So 30 bucks for what looks like a mastering compressor is an instant buy

Parallel comp, gain limit, adjustable knee and release, that's all sick features. And way less knobs. Yeah I totally hope this thing sounds sweet cuz I am ready for a new transparent compressor.

Nice price too!

Thank you Toneboosters.
At the moment Unisum is by far the best compressor with the most flexible RMS/PEAK detection algorithms ever developed for one ITB compressor. And it sounds and reacts absolutely top-notch. Not that I'm Unisum's dev team member or advocate blindly for them. Just saying.

I am really looking forward trying Toneboosters latest release because I am really curious how good it is on different sources.

Of course, these two can't be compared in price range at all.

Definitely a tool of such performances is more than inviting for real life scenario test runs. Looking forward at many of established professionals here who dived deep in Unisum to give this one a try. So curious.

Any of beta testers or pre-demo people who would share details? That would be great to hear from the first hand experiences. How about it girls and boys?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumerei1838 View Post

Nice price too!

Thank you Toneboosters.
You might like to try Unisum against Toneboosters Compressor V4 before you make any such assumptions.

My first impressions of Compressor V4 are not at all good. I need to fiddle a bit more with it before I write anything conclusive but as I said on KvR, this thing is _extremely_ difficult to setup reliably to sound good on complex program material (aka mastering or any kind of bus duties). I'd say Unisum and Compressor V4 live on the exact opposite extremes when it comes to ease of setting up and sounding "musical". Unisum is the current King of ease of use in terms of always sounding good. Compressor V4 is in the other end and requires extreme tweaking to avoid pumping, a harsh attack and a very weird sounding release.

Those are my initial impressions of Compressor V4.

Oh and for the record, I absolutely adore Toneboosters plugins and own most of them. Morphit, Sibalance and Reelbus v4 are used all the time.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I think at current level, this digital compressor entered the game too late that has already seen the similar or better alternatives out there.

Smartcomp($50 on sale) sounds incredibly musical with a more useful AI and dynamic band action and pretty much all the functions here minus the mid-side. This plugin also compares to bx_dyneq($30 usually) with a fabfilter type GUI plus and minus some features. Then of course there’s fabfilter C3(Expensive) with lots more perks and logic stock comp is actually much more capable and musical than this

I do love smaller devs and toneboosters‘ products but I think their time couldve been better spent on developing other tools
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Attack and release sound extremely wrong, hopefully there will be an update which will fix/improve this.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I just downloaded the Unisum compressor out of curiousity.

And while I'm not all exited about v 4, it is rather clean and in a quick shootout on a mix i prefered v 4. It sounded rounder, softer, calmer.

Unisum, while in some respects more true to the source, has more of this compression/seasick thing going on.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
You might like to try Unisum against Toneboosters Compressor V4 before you make any such assumptions.

My first impressions of Compressor V4 are not at all good. I need to fiddle a bit more with it before I write anything conclusive but as I said on KvR, this thing is _extremely_ difficult to setup reliably to sound good on complex program material (aka mastering or any kind of bus duties). I'd say Unisum and Compressor V4 live on the exact opposite extremes when it comes to ease of setting up and sounding "musical". Unisum is the current King of ease of use in terms of always sounding good. Compressor V4 is in the other end and requires extreme tweaking to avoid pumping, a harsh attack and a very weird sounding release.

Those are my initial impressions of Compressor V4.

Oh and for the record, I absolutely adore Toneboosters plugins and own most of them. Morphit, Sibalance and Reelbus v4 are used all the time.
I think more than a few are intimidated by the advanced controls on Unisum? I printed out the manual and went over it a few times with a highlighter and keep it close still. BUT I learned a ton AND the tooltip's are incredibly well done. As are the presets to use as a starting point or "as-is" they are great.

In the end it took a few day's to get a solid grasp on what does what and why, but the effort was so worth it... The ability to shape mixes or busses or the occasional track in such a profound and positive way are priceless.

One man's story.

Stay safe and healthy all.

G

Last edited by spectacular g; 1 week ago at 02:05 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
At the moment Unisum is by far the best compressor with the most flexible RMS/PEAK detection algorithms ever developed for one ITB compressor.
For you maybe that may be the case

As you can see plenty of us enjoy "best ever" with products from other companies
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sure. Whatever makes your ears happy. Thou I was saying it has probably the best, most flexible and detail oriented detectors at the moment. And it really does sound very nice.

Would I say there are no good or great ones other than Unisum? Nope. There are a few digital tools out there equally good. And they are out there for a long time now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

And wouldn't ya know it...already a major update

Compressor v4.1.0
  • Fixed a bug in the envelope follower causing too aggressive behavior for certain sampling rates and channel configurations
  • Added compressor mode control to allow selection between analytic, analog and warm compressor behavior

People at KVR are saying that this changes the sound drastically but I haven't tested it myself yet.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Any walkthroughs out for this?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

It can be made to sound good, I don't find the AI function particularly useful. However I see this compressor evolving into something substantial in the future with updates and tweaks
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by analag View Post
It can be made to sound good, I don't find the AI function particularly useful. However I see this compressor evolving into something substantial in the future with updates and tweaks
That's how every V4 plugin has worked out so far. At release it's unremarkable and then over time he slowly adds in feature requests and things that should have been there in the first place. Equalizer 4 is a prime example.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
And wouldn't ya know it...already a major update

Compressor v4.1.0
  • Fixed a bug in the envelope follower causing too aggressive behavior for certain sampling rates and channel configurations
  • Added compressor mode control to allow selection between analytic, analog and warm compressor behavior

People at KVR are saying that this changes the sound drastically but I haven't tested it myself yet.
Just picked it up. (v4.1) I think it's fantastic in a clear as glass kind of way. I twiddle with a lot of "vintage vibe" comps (Acustica, Kazrog, PA etc.) because I like the colourful harmonic content those things can introduce, but I'm finding myself looking for transparency more and more. FF and DMG are grand products, but TB is bringing a lot of great performance for dirt cheap. This comp is going to evolve... I love EQ4, and I'm going to love this too in time... Starting out, I really, really like it.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
That's how every V4 plugin has worked out so far. At release it's unremarkable and then over time he slowly adds in feature requests and things that should have been there in the first place. Equalizer 4 is a prime example.
I can get excellent control and transparency from Compressor 4. The GUI shows you what's happening to the signal. It's practically dummy proof! Equalizer 4 is great too.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Aaaaaaand another update:

Compressor v4.2.0
  • Significantly improved sound quality
  • Please check settings for existing projects as the sound may have changed slightly
  • New 'Complex' envelope follower for improved behavior on complex material
  • Minimum release time reduced from 50 to 10ms
  • New hold parameter which will do a soft transition between 'hold' and 'release' (replaces release shape control)
  • New spectrogram view for compression zones
  • Faster GUI initialization
  • Fixed an issue to solve Ableton Live sporadic crashes
  • Efficiency improvements
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

I like it on drum buss and the Audition mode is very handy
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear