The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing the Neve 8424 Console
Old 2 days ago
  #181
Lives for gear
 
Kronos147's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml designs View Post
what the heck does pissing all over he internet have to do with making music???
Valid question.

My perspective is I simply cannot manufacture my own console right now. The only chance I have to get what I want it to voice my desires\opinions.

This particular site does get trafficked by manufacturers.

Someday they'll hire me consult.

Old 2 days ago
  #182
MGA
Gear Addict
 
MGA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevault View Post

In reference to the Genesys it was G32 base without any extra features.

https://studiocare.com/products/ams-...bbbe45ac&_ss=r
Ah UK pounds, got it. Still there's a over a £16k difference, not £10k. If you can bargain the price down on a G32, you'll be able to do that with the 8424. Again the difference buys you a lot of outboard gear.

For reference. Same supplier. https://studiocare.com/products/neve...rs-new-product
Old 2 days ago
  #183
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGA View Post
Ah UK pounds, got it. Still there's a over a £16k difference, not £10k. If you can bargain the price down on a G32, you'll be able to do that with the 8424. Again the difference buys you a lot of outboard gear.

For reference. Same supplier. https://studiocare.com/products/neve...rs-new-product

The price was lower at the beginning of the year until Neve raised all their rates and now we're in this economic fog so the plan is to wait it out.
Old 2 days ago
  #184
Gear Head
 

I blew through the website very quickly initially, trying like most to quickly grok what it had for facilities. I didn't really read the copy. But, a re-reading of AMS-Neve's website says exactly who this is for. After you scroll down past the glossy picture and price/configurator, we see a banner with three words: "Connect. Compose. Create". This is a console for creators/composers/producers - its a personal console. You connect your existing gear, then you compose and create. That's their vision for it. Its a simple vision. Contrast the page for the 88RS... it doesn't say that, or even the Genesys Black.

In the first paragraph of actual text, they state clearly that it is for hybrid workflows, and that they assume the owner will be using "DAW workflow, software plugins, and session recall". As for what the console does, they say it is for three things:

Recording - it has an in-line design. And "multiple musicians can overdub in the control room". For the target audience, that's how all recording is done. There's one room. AMS-Neve is calling out that they built this desk for that use case. There is no mention of big tracking sessions, or session management for large groups. They do call out that it can handle a "few" musicians in a control room. (Which is how most commercial music is done today). Every composer I know works this way, except some mega A-listers than have big facilities (and big consoles). Most have rooms that 3 people would be a crowd.

Mixing - it is the "ultimate analog summing platform". The feature claims are for auxes and inserts that let you sweeten tracks with selected outboard. So its a summing mixer with extra connection options. Yes, it is that. It is a lot more featured than an 8816. But they aren't talking about old-school analog board mixes in their marketing literature. It's for hybrid workflow with full session recall. There's no pictures of someone doing an old-school console mixing performance. The target market has probably never made music that way. Mixing with DAW automation is 20+ years old.

"Connecting" (the final section) - More about inserts, the 500 series slots, and the snapshot system that gives full recall. If the target audience is expecting to use session recall, then the console has to have this or the session can't be recalled easily. So this is again about sweetening with choice gear, not about a mega mix session. They use the word "summing" accurately, I think. It would have been nice to have the "0 dB" button, but I suppose the recall system is something of a substitute - you can get back to the same point.

The manual is also revealing. If you look at the hookup diagrams, they show line sources connected to the mixer first, then some DI/mic stuff, and then an optional 8ch mic-pre if you need more. But this is real world- most media composers have more line inputs than mic inputs. They are more likely to have a modular with a sequencer or an MPC, or something from Elektron than a full drum kit. Even the hookup pictures show this. There's no drum set in the pictures. Most composers only use a few mic inputs, and often one or two at a time. If you are creating modern production music, you work with lots of musicians who send audio to you remotely, or your project is using external studios for tracking large groups. These costs are billed to the project, but one could never afford to have that every day. Most session players have ability to record themselves professionally, and get excellent results than can drop into a production. This is very common in this little slice of the music world.

The end of the manual even includes recommendations on how to use the console if you have only 8 I/O, 16 I/O, or the 32 I/O that lets you fully use the console.

It is obvious from the specification that they aren't positioning this for the person who owns a vintage Neve console and a wall of outboard. Even their marketing says who it is for.

This (like The Box, and SSL XL-Desk) are "personal" consoles designed for solo or small production rooms. The goal is to facilitate the analog side, signal routing, and overdub management. It's a very nice, very well thought out signal router. Plug all the stuff in the room in, it gets easier to manage the stuff. Outboard now makes sense without buying a converter channel for every piece. Work is still in the DAW, which is how most people work. I know that doesn't work for everyone who has a big vintage console. This is useless for them, doesn't have buses for tape machines, etc. But AMS-Neve aren't trying to sell it to that market. It's for composers and creators to use in their own production space.

My sense is that this profile represents most of this forum. People working in their own space on their own stuff. Aspirational for most? Yes. But that is ok. It is good to dream and plan and work to make them come true.

I think their website is refreshingly clear in saying who it is for and how they think people will use it. I think once it gets out in the wild, and they start to get interviews up with people using it, you'll see a lot of production duo's, single room workrooms, etc. (Just like the videos for The Box....)
Old 1 day ago
  #185
Gear Head
 

Why would someone choose 8424 instead of Matrix + 1073opx preamps?.

Or why choose this 8424 instead of a flock audio patch, Neve 8816, Avid S3, and some 1073opx neve Preamps?

Because you want a neve sound and Eye catch people?

Help me clarify.. whatever the reason is, i still congratulate Neve because they are maintaining their pedigree and building all the guts in England, not in china like ssl is doing lately with the new products..so if i had to choose and they had same features i still would choose the Neve Philosophy And would try to help them mantain their company Doing like this
Old 1 day ago
  #186
Gear Addict
 
TexasCat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduy View Post
Why would someone choose 8424 instead of Matrix + 1073opx preamps?.
You would choose the Matrix or the 8424 based on your preference for SSL or Neve sound. The features and price are mostly comparable. I see the Matrix as the main competitor to this console for it's designed purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduy View Post
Or why choose this 8424 instead of a flock audio patch, Neve 8816, Avid S3, and some 1073opx neve Preamps?
You "could" consider this as an option but IMHO it wouldn't be as efficient or elegant of a solution. Too many pieces to get in the way of the intended workflow.

The 8424 and the 1073OPX seems to me to be the perfect hybrid for someone who is working ITB with some choice outboard to bring everything together. I miss the console workflow but like many a full blown console would be overkill to mostly work in the DAW. This has really gotten my attention.
Old 1 day ago
  #187
Here for the gear
 
Rabenmutter's Avatar
 

I demo’ed this console today and it sounds fantastic. No expense spared on the build and the recall (which is a huge bonus for me) is super quick.

The group EQs sound great and are set at 20hz and 20k for sub and air and the small 500 series integration is pleasant and easy. The desk itself is super super fast to use and I got well into it very quickly. Stereo width dial is dope and very natural sounding, tonnes of headroom. Drives nice etc etc

I work in a mid sized production room with mainly hip hop and electronic artists and when we track bigger things we got to different spaces. Yes, we do have a lot of hardware Pres and EQs and effects collected over the years and if you didn’t and we’re after a one size fits all solution then I get it, this won’t do, but for my style of mixing and for quick tracking and good integration with our space it’s a winner. We will be buying it for sure.

I am not on here a lot but I am assuming the majority of the people who have ended up here are recording bands, often live and I get it... this really isn’t for you. I can say that if you were after a production studio centrepiece and already had a lot of outboard and you needed quick reliable recall and a very good sound, there is a space for this in your place.

Big love x
Old 1 day ago
  #188
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabenmutter View Post
I demo’ed this console today and it sounds fantastic. No expense spared on the build and the recall (which is a huge bonus for me) is super quick.

The group EQs sound great and are set at 20hz and 20k for sub and air and the small 500 series integration is pleasant and easy. The desk itself is super super fast to use and I got well into it very quickly. Stereo width dial is dope and very natural sounding, tonnes of headroom. Drives nice etc etc

I work in a mid sized production room with mainly hip hop and electronic artists and when we track bigger things we got to different spaces. Yes, we do have a lot of hardware Pres and EQs and effects collected over the years and if you didn’t and we’re after a one size fits all solution then I get it, this won’t do, but for my style of mixing and for quick tracking and good integration with our space it’s a winner. We will be buying it for sure.

I am not on here a lot but I am assuming the majority of the people who have ended up here are recording bands, often live and I get it... this really isn’t for you. I can say that if you were after a production studio centrepiece and already had a lot of outboard and you needed quick reliable recall and a very good sound, there is a space for this in your place.

Big love x
So I have to ask this SUPER serious question since it's become the backbone of this thread. Are you a rich doctor or trust fund baby that makes foolish decisions with your money? Again, sorry I have to ask this. It's for, ummm... Science?



Sounds like it's a good fit for you. I hope you don't get any clients that walk into your space and decide to cancel their session because of your choice to purchase this console. Then again, it sounds like you "kind" of know what you're doing and "might" be making a good decision based on your needs.

Only time and the GearSlutz Fairies will be able to tell if you made the right decision. I hope you don't spontaneously burst into flames for making such a MASSIVELY irresponsible decision as we've already determined that this product is useless without 20 band EQ's and vintage preamps with 3 stages of transformers on every channel.

May the odds be ever in your favor, and God have mercy on your soul.
Old 1 day ago
  #189
Lives for gear
 

This is definitely for people like me who record one or two tracks at a time and have a little outboard.

Well thought out for tracking, mixing and mastering with snapshot recall.

Cheers
Old 23 hours ago
  #190
Here for the gear
 
Rabenmutter's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Are you a rich doctor or trust fund baby that makes foolish decisions with your money? Again, sorry I have to ask this. It's for, ummm... Science?
. I l.
Lol. No we work in a studio that has used a TL Audio VTC for 18 years (I know, I know... they’re better than a lot of TLA stuff). The owner made some pretty big records in there and kitted it out with a lot of extra outboard.

I started working there 2 years ago and the desk sounded great but the recall was very unreliable and the desk itself is huge. This thing sounds better and it about half the size.

We want reliable and modern but not something that relies on a software integration (heard some horror stories about automating the SSL sigma).

I do think this all comes down to how your space works. It’s extravagant for a mixing desk without a load of pres and EQs but can we just ask what neve desk isn’t extravagant? They sound really good! I’m confident it’s gonna make a great centrepiece and improve the work we do.

As for a client “walking out” if they saw it, I would assume they were working with me for the work I create, not the desk I was using. It’s funny the only gear snobbery I ever see is on the internet. My clients don’t give a shit unless it takes ages or doesn’t sound good.
Old 22 hours ago
  #191
Gear Addict
 
TexasCat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabenmutter View Post
It’s funny the only gear snobbery I ever see is on the internet.
Yea, sometimes I think "Gearslutz" should be renamed "Gearsnobs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabenmutter View Post
My clients don’t give a shit unless it takes ages or doesn’t sound good.
And the 8424 is designed to address both of those. It will speed up your workflow and I'm sure it will sound great.

Congrats on the upgrade! Be sure to post some pictures and give us your thoughts on how it sounds when you get it in place.

When this covid nonsense is over and things are back to some kind of normal I'm seriously considering one myself.
Old 22 hours ago
  #192
Gear Addict
check the presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UVhekCAQK4

makes a lot of sense to me
Old 20 hours ago
  #193
Lives for gear
 
heyman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabenmutter View Post
Lol. No we work in a studio that has used a TL Audio VTC for 18 years (I know, I know... they’re better than a lot of TLA stuff). The owner made some pretty big records in there and kitted it out with a lot of extra outboard.

I started working there 2 years ago and the desk sounded great but the recall was very unreliable and the desk itself is huge. This thing sounds better and it about half the size.

We want reliable and modern but not something that relies on a software integration (heard some horror stories about automating the SSL sigma).

I do think this all comes down to how your space works. It’s extravagant for a mixing desk without a load of pres and EQs but can we just ask what neve desk isn’t extravagant? They sound really good! I’m confident it’s gonna make a great centrepiece and improve the work we do.

As for a client “walking out” if they saw it, I would assume they were working with me for the work I create, not the desk I was using. It’s funny the only gear snobbery I ever see is on the internet. My clients don’t give a shit unless it takes ages or doesn’t sound good.

Was the Gorillaz record done there..? I seem to remember the record was cut on that desk somewhere in England..

Last edited by heyman; 20 hours ago at 02:53 PM.. Reason: more info...
Old 17 hours ago
  #194
Gear Maniac
 
Digiplex's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGA View Post
Ah UK pounds, got it. Still there's a over a £16k difference, not £10k. If you can bargain the price down on a G32, you'll be able to do that with the 8424. Again the difference buys you a lot of outboard gear.

For reference. Same supplier. https://studiocare.com/products/neve...rs-new-product

Might as well go all in!
https://studiocare.com/products/ams-...r-base-console
Old 17 hours ago
  #195
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Thumbs up

I have just discovered some more videos from Neve about the new 8424:-


8424 Video Series - Episode 2 - Recording


I think this one counters a lot of the negative comments about "you can't record with this console".

8424 Video Series - Episode 3 - Mixing


8424 Video Series - Episode 4 - Monitoring , Master Section & Recall System

Old 17 hours ago
  #196
Gear Maniac
Interesting product that actually fits my workflow perfectly, just like the Matrix 2...if I hadn’t invested as much on summing mixers and an Avocet years ago.

I only mix. Hybrid. May track a vocal every once in a while.
Old 16 hours ago
  #197
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I have just discovered some more videos from Neve about the new 8424:-


8424 Video Series - Episode 2 - Recording


I think this one counters a lot of the negative comments about "you can't record with this console".

8424 Video Series - Episode 3 - Mixing


8424 Video Series - Episode 4 - Monitoring , Master Section & Recall System

Wow... This thing is incredibly well thought out. I don't understand why it's getting bashed so much, this is going to work well for a lot of people.
Old 15 hours ago
  #198
Gear Addict
 
TexasCat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Wow... This thing is incredibly well thought out. I don't understand why it's getting bashed so much, this is going to work well for a lot of people.
I think so too. I think this fits in perfect with the way many people work today.

I ditched the console years ago because I wasn't using a third of it's features. I've been able to make it work but thing's always felt cobbled together trying to work 100% ITB.

This thing looks like Neve figured out all of the things you need to make the DAW a no compromise workflow. It is a awesome centerpiece to bring everything together and streamline things.
Old 15 hours ago
  #199
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I have just discovered some more videos from Neve about the new 8424:-


8424 Video Series - Episode 2 - Recording


I think this one counters a lot of the negative comments about "you can't record with this console".

8424 Video Series - Episode 3 - Mixing


8424 Video Series - Episode 4 - Monitoring , Master Section & Recall System

I feel this is Neve’s downfall and something they should work harder on and that is engaging in threads like this, instead of leaving potentially damaging and incorrect assumptions on a product they’ve prolly spent a lot of cash on R&D.

Other manufacturers do this better than others but at least they can set the record straight from the Horses mouth and cut down on the inane crap and bickering that almost makes me want to log leave for good!

Wiggy
Old 14 hours ago
  #200
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduy View Post
I emailed ams neve Last week to ask if the summing is the same as 8816 or what is the difference, if there is any in the transformers, Still no answer

And btw i dont have any problem if my light bulbs or clothes are china made But for an audio chain, please no.

Did you receive a response back from AMS Neve on your questions? Also, can't find specification on the inserts?
Old 14 hours ago
  #201
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevault View Post
I'm a Realist and not someone who lives in Utopia with puppy dogs and balloons. My opinion is also irrelevant to my professional status and I'm not really interested in your uneducated judgments.

I own about $30k of Neve equipment and in the future will purchase additional Neve products, but for me to express a different opinion on a piece of equipment with all the blowback is got to be the laughable part. If you like the mixer great... if you want to purchase one or two great.... maybe you're the one that should spend less time on GS.

In reference to the Genesys it was G32 base without any extra features.

https://studiocare.com/products/ams-...bbbe45ac&_ss=r
No, sorry--your shallow and errant opinions expressed here DEFINE your professional status. The opinions let us know that you mainly like to complain.

Please fill out your GS profile and then we can know if you are anybody.
Old 14 hours ago
  #202
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 




So many people acting so professionally in here...

Old 14 hours ago
  #203
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
No, sorry--your shallow and errant opinions expressed here DEFINE your professional status. The opinions let us know that you mainly like to complain.

Please fill out your GS profile and then we can know if you are anybody.
You have no clue who I am or what I do/know. I owe this form and especially you nothing of my personal information. If your only purpose is to attack because of a different opinion be my guest.

Last edited by thevault; 13 hours ago at 09:23 PM..
Old 14 hours ago
  #204
Gear Maniac
 
DogCake's Avatar
 

These videos are well explicative of the functionalities of the console.

Which, indeed, is quite striking in terms of routing.

Yet, I got the idea that the thing is not that solid, in terms of construction.

Every time the guy touches a knob you can see it shaking quite too much in my opinion.





Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I have just discovered some more videos from Neve about the new 8424:-


8424 Video Series - Episode 2 - Recording


I think this one counters a lot of the negative comments about "you can't record with this console".

8424 Video Series - Episode 3 - Mixing


8424 Video Series - Episode 4 - Monitoring , Master Section & Recall System

Old 12 hours ago
  #205
A man can dream...
A man can win the lottery....
Old 8 hours ago
  #206
Lives for gear
 

So the coolest thing from the videos I gathered, was that for $8,000 more, you can have 16 integrated mic pres using 2 of the Neve 1073 OPX. You can directly control the gain for each channel of 1073 OPX mic pre from the console top row of knobs(with the update that will happen in the next year). So this becomes much closer to an API 1608 which has built in mic pres, with the advantage that this has total snapshot recall. Too bad it didn't have a 500 series rack integrated into it above each channel fader...
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump