The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Punk Rock Release the Skate Punk MIDI Pack
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Software DIY Punk Rock Release the Skate Punk MIDI Pack

The DIY Punk Rock - Skate Punk MIDI Library is a selection of over 200 Grooves and Fills to aid your songwriting and inspiration.

Suited for Punk Rock, Skate Punk, Pop Punk and Melodic Hardcore genres, the beats are meticulously programmed to provide realism in your projects, demos and productions.

There are 4 x Versions available, each programmed and mapped specifically for - EZ Drummer 2, Superior Drummer 3, Get Good Drums and SSD5.5 users.

The MIDI Files are separated into subfolders from Intro Fills, Fills, Double Time, Normal Time, Half Time and Quarter time beats to Backbeats, Short Fills and Drum Breaks for quick access and easy navigation.

All purchases come as a zipped file with the MIDI Library, a .pdf containing video instructions on install and the artwork.

Available at https://www.diypunkrock.com

Cheers for checking it out!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Punk is definitely a genre that is not yet fully exhausted in the midi world. Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Sounds nice but 10 pounds would have done it too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picadilly View Post
Punk is definitely a genre that is not yet fully exhausted in the midi world. Thanks!
Thanks for checking it out!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

At over $30 CAD it’s not an instant buy unfortunately.

Is there a demo pack available?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Demo pack would be cool
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Farmer View Post
At over $30 CAD it’s not an instant buy unfortunately.

Is there a demo pack available?
Not currently but will definitely look into it and see if I can get a "lite" pack on the store to check out.

Will definitely be running promos across the site in the not too distant future so if it is of interest, be sure to signup on the front page. Much appreciated and thanks for checking it out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey John, first of all, very cool guitar playing and a really nice midi pack too, that video where you put together the drums you made it look so easy, everything just went so well together. Very impressive.

I don't think £20 is overly expensive for what you're offering, they look like super quality and certainly plenty of variations there. Not saying I wouldn't mind paying less of course (hey, my grandfather was Scottish!), but it's not crazy either!

Do you have any plans to offer these for standard GM? I often flip between, let's see now, SSD5, Perfect Drums, Drumforge Sampler, GetGood, Roomsound, BFD3 and lots of others. They all have their own MIDI mapping but they all do GM as well so having MIDI in GM makes things a bit easier from the get-go.

Anyway, it's nice to hear some great MIDI for this genre, great stuff
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
Hey John, first of all, very cool guitar playing and a really nice midi pack too, that video where you put together the drums you made it look so easy, everything just went so well together. Very impressive.

I don't think £20 is overly expensive for what you're offering, they look like super quality and certainly plenty of variations there. Not saying I wouldn't mind paying less of course (hey, my grandfather was Scottish!), but it's not crazy either!

Do you have any plans to offer these for standard GM? I often flip between, let's see now, SSD5, Perfect Drums, Drumforge Sampler, GetGood, Roomsound, BFD3 and lots of others. They all have their own MIDI mapping but they all do GM as well so having MIDI in GM makes things a bit easier from the get-go.

Anyway, it's nice to hear some great MIDI for this genre, great stuff

Hi! Thanks very much for checking it out and for the kind words! Much appreciated!

I will definitely look into creating a GM pack for sure. I'm exactly the same as you man, jumping between drum samplers for different sounds.

I've played in a techy skate-punk band for the last 20 odd years so these loops were mostly stuff id built over the years and adapted to be an actual pack of useful beats and articulate fills to try meet and emulate the standard of playing from the best guys in the genre.

With that, EZ Dummer 2 and SD 3, SSD5.5 having 2-3 Snare zones and 2-3 Kick zones I really emphasised those hits - so a 16th note roll would use every hit zone from the rim shot on the first hit through snare centre, left, right and the double kick patterns using all 3 zones so the beats don't sound robotic.

When the drums are playing this speed every 2nd note needs to be a different velocity or tone otherwise they sound super robotic.

GGD is pretty simple in those terms and I'm positive I used GM for that kit as they limit to one kick zone and 1 snare zone and make you work harder on the actual velocity rather than the ability to play a snare fill across 3 separate MIDI notes.

In practice that's why the packs ended up being for specific samplers. The beats are all the same but I literally adapted all velocities and notes so they were as close as possible across all the packs. It wasn't a copy/paste move the hits job, more of a complete revamp for each sampler to get the articulation correct.

If I can achieve that in one pack, I'll do my best to figure it out. With the samples all being so vastly different sounding across all these awesome packs id just need to find a happy medium that works across the board.

Thanks again and have a good weekend!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpmx View Post
With that, EZ Dummer 2 and SD 3, SSD5.5 having 2-3 Snare zones and 2-3 Kick zones I really emphasised those hits - so a 16th note roll would use every hit zone from the rim shot on the first hit through snare centre, left, right and the double kick patterns using all 3 zones so the beats don't sound robotic.
Wow, it sure sounds like you've maximised their potential cos nothing at all in your video sounded robotic, which is incredible with that amount of rolls.

Quote:
GGD is pretty simple in those terms and I'm positive I used GM for that kit as they limit to one kick zone and 1 snare zone and make you work harder on the actual velocity rather than the ability to play a snare fill across 3 separate MIDI notes.
I think GGD is pretty close to GM. I've never been adverse to moving notes around to fit in with a particular instrument. GM is great for the basics - the 5 drums and some cymbals - but you throw a few more toms and cymbals in to the mix and the GM standard falls apart.

Quote:
Thanks again and have a good weekend!
You too
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Like it a lot. Think I'll buy it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Not currently but will definitely look into it and see if I can get a "lite" pack on the store to check out.
Awesome, I look forward to it!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I see you're having a wee sale, John. Awesome! Which do you think is closest to the GM standard? It's gonna be GetGood or Slate I guess. I have both of those but don't mind modifying the MIDI to suit different instruments as necessary. However, the less mods I make, the closer it will to your vision.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bought it. Only had a quick play with it so far.

Good stuff!! Lots of variety and very fast too.

SD3 has a serious lack of this kind of material, so this is great. Previously I've been using their own metal/thrash packs for my Punk/HC stuff. This is a breath of fresh air!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I see you're having a wee sale, John. Awesome! Which do you think is closest to the GM standard? It's gonna be GetGood or Slate I guess. I have both of those but don't mind modifying the MIDI to suit different instruments as necessary. However, the less mods I make, the closer it will to your vision.
Hey man! Sure so, most likely GGD but id say I'm more a fan of the Slate version just down to the articulations being more realistic in terms of the snare rolls down to slates 3 notes per hit although the GGD version is quality.

What to do is, if you grab one, ping me a message on the website and it will literally message my audio production page inbox on Facebook. Let me know what name you purchased under and if you got the slate pack I'll fire you a link to the GGD pack free of charge or vice versa just so you have both to mess around with.

Cheers!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Humanoid View Post
Bought it. Only had a quick play with it so far.

Good stuff!! Lots of variety and very fast too.

SD3 has a serious lack of this kind of material, so this is great. Previously I've been using their own metal/thrash packs for my Punk/HC stuff. This is a breath of fresh air!
Excellent stuff! Thanks very much for your purchase! Much appreciated and hope it comes in useful. Cheers!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What to do is, if you grab one, ping me a message on the website and it will literally message my audio production page inbox on Facebook. Let me know what name you purchased under and if you got the slate pack I'll fire you a link to the GGD pack free of charge or vice versa just so you have both to mess around with.
Thanks John, I just bought the Slate one and PMd you here as I don't do facebook so can't message you from your website.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've had this pack for a few days and it's only fair to report in. I've played around with the GGD pack mainly and it's pretty close to the GM standard. The Slate one is quite close too but John uses some of the extra voices that SSD provides (eg kicks on notes 35 and 36). Either way, they're certainly close enough that I can move the notes around as needed without too much hassle. Like I said earlier, the GM standard falls apart once you go beyond a standard 5 drum/4 cymbal kit so it's not a big deal.

The two things I noticed: 1) there's plenty of velocities used to provide a natural sound and 2) they're completely quantised, so if you're looking for that slightly not-100%-timing, you'll need to do some manual adjustments. Having said that, I guess the target genre for this MIDI files requires pretty tight grooves, so again, no big deal.

Either way, they sound great. There's some very tasty fills and grooves in there and I've really enjoyed using them. There's lot to choose from, I counted over 50 grooves plus variations, and more than 60 fills, which is plenty. Nice
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've had this pack for a few days and it's only fair to report in. I've played around with the GGD pack mainly and it's pretty close to the GM standard. The Slate one is quite close too but John uses some of the extra voices that SSD provides (eg kicks on notes 35 and 36). Either way, they're certainly close enough that I can move the notes around as needed without too much hassle. Like I said earlier, the GM standard falls apart once you go beyond a standard 5 drum/4 cymbal kit so it's not a big deal.

The two things I noticed: 1) there's plenty of velocities used to provide a natural sound and 2) they're completely quantised, so if you're looking for that slightly not-100%-timing, you'll need to do some manual adjustments. Having said that, I guess the target genre for this MIDI files requires pretty tight grooves, so again, no big deal.

Either way, they sound great. There's some very tasty fills and grooves in there and I've really enjoyed using them. There's lot to choose from, I counted over 50 grooves plus variations, and more than 60 fills, which is plenty. Nice
Top man! Cheers for sharing your thoughts man and glad it's coming in useful! Much appreciated.

John
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Sounds nice but 10 pounds would have done it too.
I purchased it and I would like to apologize for this comment. Your price is absolutely fine.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I purchased it and I would like to apologize for this comment. Your price is absolutely fine.
No apology necessary man! Thanks so much for your purchase!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear