The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica Audio releases Erin: luxury mastering suite for the discerning artist
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
In 15 years, we've only had 5 betatesters walk away by their own choice. The others (very few) have been removed from us because they did not report problems, i.e. they did not do betatesting activities. That happens too. I pride myself on having brought this concept of betatesters into the audio world in 2005 that nobody had experienced before. I didn't invent anything, there were examples in other areas.

Can you do better? Yes. Can I complain? No. It could have been zero, but as much as I hate to see one person leave, I can't always expect perfection to make everyone happy forever. That's life. Still, that's quite an achievement. Every once in a while someone comes back, for example an old friend who had personal problems and had to leave reluctantly contacted me a week ago and said he was going to come back. The longest-lived betatester of all is Enrique, who now works with us in Italy and has moved from Spain. For a betatester who is leaving, there is one who has changed his life to be with us!
i started beta testing for Waves in 1999.
Old 2 weeks ago
Jeees, this thing sounds fabulous on the 2bus. Will have to compare more but first impression is outstanding. Great!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Haze off of the Mixbus and punch and dynamics galore. Bravo guys!

I have been using EL REY and the AMEK 200. Thanks for yet another flavor!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I'd like to chime in on the infamous "echo bug": I invested quite a lot of money into Acustica Audio plugins and this particular bug makes most of the plugins I bought unusable as I mix mostly bass-heavy music. The fact that it has not been fixed in so many years is just ridiculous... I reported it many times and was basically told to get lost. Haven't bought a single AA plugin since.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I have been looking for a cheaper alternative to Tone Projects Unisum for mastering duties. I have compared all day with Erin using a tube vari-mu preset in Unisum against Erin's three compressor modes on a few completed mixes ranging from Pop, R&B and bit of Electro. In all situations Unisum was a little better in terms of groove, timing, solidity and musicality.

Now, I am a massive Acustica fan and have 80% of all their Acqua plugins, but I feel in a mastering context the Acustica compressors are not quite there yet IMO. In mixing situations I will always use Acqua compressors in preference to everything else. Pink 2412 is a fantastic example of this.

I so wanted it to be different but at the moment I am continuing to save for Unisum for mastering duties.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer View Post
I'd like to chime in on the infamous "echo bug": I invested quite a lot of money into Acustica Audio plugins and this particular bug makes most of the plugins I bought unusable as I mix mostly bass-heavy music. The fact that it has not been fixed in so many years is just ridiculous... I reported it many times and was basically told to get lost. Haven't bought a single AA plugin since.
I produce, mix and master electronic music with AA plugins without any problem, you must control your levels and not exceed -18dbfs (0VU)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
I produce, mix and master electronic music with AA plugins without any problem, you must control your levels and not exceed -18dbfs (0VU)
Have you experienced the 'echo bug'? The echo bug isn't the result of incorrect user gain staging its a noise artefact triggered by certain signals. I've found clipped kick drums to be the worst offenders, in my testing you can hpf the clipped kick way upto like 300Hz and you still get the noise artefact (echo bug).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post
Have you experienced the 'echo bug'? The echo bug isn't the result of incorrect user gain staging its a noise artefact triggered by certain signals. I've found clipped kick drums to be the worst offenders, in my testing you can hpf the clipped kick way upto like 300Hz and you still get the noise artefact (echo bug).
I experienced it with the first acqua, then it disappeared in some version of core, I have also got used to entering moderate levels.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Erin has now been added to the Unofficial Acqua List. Thanks for the info, denork!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Cool list Doom64
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNunchuck View Post
Cool list Doom64
Thanks, Chris. It's a community effort.

@ zaphod I would love to hear more about this:

"Erin EQ ST features our new ULTRAGAIN™ matching"
Old 2 weeks ago
Looking forward to trying this
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Downloaded the trial today. Will certainly buy sometime this week. I just played around mastering a track I had already mastered, and the EQ was better than what I had on it already. The compressor - as a hobbyist - looks promising, but is pretty complicated for my tiny brain. So far, I also stuck with Unisum on my master. I am not skilled at describing tonal impressions, but this EQ sounded tight and clear, adding an across the board solid cohesiveness that Unisum just tied up with a sonic bow. I might be able to get the compressor to do amazing things, but not before I have time to read the book, lol. Love love love that EQ though, transparent but not - in a good way. I am sold.

As to the vitriol being expressed on this thread, Giancarlo, you are wayyyyyyyyyyy more patient of a bruh than I. Iappreciate your replies to the hysteria. God, to have to deal with all these whiny little b&%^hes as part of your job. They are impressed with themselves. Jesus. ECHO BUG OMG. I mix and compose electronic - sometimes bass heavy sometimes not. I have been able to replicate the bug, just to check it out. Yeah I can make some of your plugs do that. Good for me, but I have never once noticed it or heard it in a completed mix using almost exclusively AA stuff, which is rapidly filling up my hard drive, and which I love. If I ever notice it f&*(ing up a mix, I will use something else in that instance, I won't be writing my congressman about the injustices of the world and my emotional pain of being betrayed after many years and much money being given to your company... and, I don't do facebook. lol.

Also, since I hardly ever post: Please update lemon and taupe to core 15. TIA
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
I experienced it with the first acqua, then it disappeared in some version of core, I have also got used to entering moderate levels.

Same here I haven't heard the famous echo bug in a year or so! this equalizer is outrageous
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Same.

I’ve seen evidence of the echo bug.

I’ve never had it affect my work.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Thanks, Chris. It's a community effort.

@ zaphod I would love to hear more about this:

"Erin EQ ST features our new ULTRAGAIN™ matching"
Very often a hardware equalizer is not very accurate on gain. There are tolerances, and often the labels are written following measurements on a reference test machine. To make matters worse, some scales would be difficult to read or less logical anyway

The result is that gain and frequency are never accurate. On the frequencies we can report the correct measured value, the problem arises with the gain.

We usually have two problems here

1) We often don't sample many gain levels, so as not to make the plugin too heavy. The resulting scale of gain values is often not very logical, because the gain trend follows a logic of interpolation of impulsive responses that creates a bizarre deformation

2) the inaccuracies of the original machine force to display scales that are unusable and sometimes even the original hardware has bizarre and unpredictable scales

In Erin, for the first time, we tried to have a very precise gain mapping, without increasing the number of sampling levels out of all proportion. As a result we have even more accurate gain mapping of the original machine, or what a copy of the hardware might have using a component modelling technique.

First of all we have drawn a gain scale, with our own rules, enlarging for example the region under 2dB, providing accuracy where needed. Then we mapped each intermediate level so that, for example, the 0.5dB level corresponded to a real level. This is possible through a deformation grid that performs the interpolation of impulse responses or kernels taking into account that value at that specific position. So now we are able to map the gain levels of a filter adapting them to an arbitrary scale divided into a very high set of control points, reaching a millimeter accuracy.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very often a hardware equalizer is not very accurate on gain. There are tolerances, and often the labels are written following measurements on a reference test machine. To make matters worse, some scales would be difficult to read or less logical anyway

The result is that gain and frequency are never accurate. On the frequencies we can report the correct measured value, the problem arises with the gain.

We usually have two problems here

1) We often don't sample many gain levels, so as not to make the plugin too heavy. The resulting scale of gain values is often not very logical, because the gain trend follows a logic of interpolation of impulsive responses that creates a bizarre deformation

2) the inaccuracies of the original machine force to display scales that are unusable and sometimes even the original hardware has bizarre and unpredictable scales

In Erin, for the first time, we tried to have a very precise gain mapping, without increasing the number of sampling levels out of all proportion. As a result we have even more accurate gain mapping of the original machine, or what a copy of the hardware might have using a component modelling technique.

First of all we have drawn a gain scale, with our own rules, enlarging for example the region under 2dB, providing accuracy where needed. Then we mapped each intermediate level so that, for example, the 0.5dB level corresponded to a real level. This is possible through a deformation grid that performs the interpolation of impulse responses or kernels taking into account that value at that specific position. So now we are able to map the gain levels of a filter adapting them to an arbitrary scale divided into a very high set of control points, reaching a millimeter accuracy.
Very nice technical achievement !

And the results are welcomed ! Thank-you.

Hey Z .... I've a question that has yet to be answered ...

Using the AI Presets ... when first initiated, the Analysis takes place, and the AI sets various parameters according to the various Preset entries. From there we can change 'Presets' from different Engineers.

My question ... How can we start a NEW analysis ? [i.e.: say we want to analysis a different section of a Track].

I've tried ReSetting the plugin to DEFAULT ... but that does nothing. It doesn't even reset the plugin ... nothing.

Currently, it seems we have to initiate a New plugin just to get a different section analysis ?

Can this be addressed ... or am I missing something ?

Thank-you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

you have to wait for the parameterized time inside the plugin, it's usually 60 seconds. It is more practical to reload it, otherwise, the data is considered to belong to the same track. In the future, we could envisage a reset by means of a button

we have new news about Erin!

1) consumption: we will have two cumulative updates, perhaps the first even today with a completely different consumption. We have probably also understood the reasons for excessive consumption in some of our recently released plugins.
I say we keep our fingers crossed

2) the eq mid had a very loud noise in the harmonics of the preamp, not perfectly removed. This could create residual noise in the center of the impulsive response. We haven't noticed any problems with the compressor and the stereo equalizer, but they're reviewing that too.

3) someone reported a difference in the left/right processing of the compressor (and maybe in the eq): the problem is not confirmed but it will be analyzed today. In any case, it is under review
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Giancarlo and team, solid effort, to me 2 out out of 3 are already there (both eqs), and I'm pretty sure the comp will be within the week, as you're promptly stating here. I think people can chill and just learn a thing about innovators innovating, the higher you set the bar, the higher you have to jump to clear it. Both eqs in this set are just insane, more than worth the value alone, glad I bought it, and I will just wait a few days of updates before printing the Masters I've got with Erin eqs on. They are incredible tools for bus and master processing, thank you and the team for that <3
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I've tried it one hour then just buy it! So, yes it needs some improvements, but it seems on the way. The eq's are very very nice, but, to me, it's the compressor here the winner, a good one to tightening bass content and add a beautiful shine. Use with an Aquamarime right behind it, can't believe it's an ITB comp sound.

Keep going, it's getting better. I continue to follow your work.
Old 2 weeks ago
DSK
Lives for gear

As a bystander this is my take:

1 - Passionate developer creates safe haven
2 - Passionate beta tester disregards that
3 - Beta tester Banished
4 - Public freakout (tester) + Streisand Effect (developer)
5 - Product announcement thread half ruined
6 - ??
7 - Profit

This is some 3D chess right here, I may have to demo this
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hey Acustica team could you please put Diamond Lift back on sale, I had it in my cart and was about to buy and the sale ended...

Quote:
you have to wait for the parameterized time inside the plugin, it's usually 60 seconds. It is more practical to reload it, otherwise, the data is considered to belong to the same track. In the future, we could envisage a reset by means of a button

1) consumption: we will have two cumulative updates, perhaps the first even today with a completely different consumption. We have probably also understood the reasons for excessive consumption in some of our recently released plugins.

2) the eq mid had a very loud noise in the harmonics of the preamp, not perfectly removed. This could create residual noise in the center of the impulsive response. We haven't noticed any problems with the compressor and the stereo equalizer, but they're reviewing that too.

3) someone reported a difference in the left/right processing of the compressor (and maybe in the eq): the problem is not confirmed but it will be analyzed today. In any case, it is under review
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
I tested and did not notice echo bug on this one.
How did you test?
My test had a short kick with 40db limiting - this exposes echo bug usually really well. For an instance echo in gold 3081 eq is almost the same level as the initial transient.

Did the same test no echo bug found......
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Is the Modula version around the corner as well ? Do you wait for the debugging period to end to release it, or should we expect more time before using it ? Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosejaw View Post
Hey Acustica team could you please put Diamond Lift back on sale, I had it in my cart and was about to buy and the sale ended...
Surely, AA will schedule their sales promotions around just you lol
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
In the future, we could envisage a reset by means of a button
Do this please, it would clear up a lot of confusion when using your AI feature.
When I do try this feature I always have to reload the plugin again other wise it keeps the same previous settings.

Quote:
you have to wait for the parameterized time inside the plugin, it's usually 60 seconds.
I think you originally said only a couple of seconds, now it's 60 seconds? Please clarify..thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The plugin sounds great. Looking forward to the updated version. It will really help. Will be testing it out for a few more days and then will buy it. Sale is on till when?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinor View Post
Did the same test no echo bug found......
Try it again with the pre engaged and the two lowest eq bands in. I found it only occurs when at least these three things were combined.

On my example I had a clipped kick with a squared off waveform EQ'd with +3dB of 50Hz and -3dB of 500Hz and the pre engaged.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
But while here I'm interested in you keeping the conversation alive, because by bumping the topic you keep this thread high and increasing our sales out of all proportion, in a peaceful group where we're all relaxed I have little interest in keeping the controversy alive.
Hm nope, Pretty much the contrary is the case here. This will keep me off from buying new releases from AA. I don’t want to support a company that is treating customers like that. Staying away from AA for now.

And just for the record: long time supporter here as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Can we stick to the product in a new product announcement? Maybe bitch and moan on the general thread and talk about FB there?.....

No ones banning anyone on here for reporting AA bugs btw, threads are full of positive and negative feedback. I could care less about the FB massive time suck.... it needs to self regulate since no one else does.....fwiw...
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear