The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica Audio releases Erin: luxury mastering suite for the discerning artist
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
It's the new concept: Positive Space.

Yes, I do. I believe in that. I like a critical environment and I also understand the presence of mixed feelings a bit positive and a bit negative. But in a private group being constantly negative doesn't bring many advantages. Nor can I suffer the blackmail of "let me do what I want or go complain publicly".

As for the problems he reports, I know little. I know that the product does not cause tail truncation, so it is unlikely to have artifacts. I know there is some noise in the preamp and it could probably be fade-out in a better way. I know they're doing it.
But take it for what we released, not for the promise of releasing an improvement.
As I always say, our products are not perfect and they're not perfect for everyone. There are constant improvements and attention to improvement, and it is clear this process and this direction.
Then for some features and for some users, the products may not go well, and that goes for everything, for software and hardware. What is gold for some is bronze for others. For example, if I take an extreme source (very impulsive, very low frequency) and try to process it in some tube equipment, I may have artifacts or other problems. Not necessarily the artifacts will be identical, but not necessarily pleasant. I remember a tube preamplifier that was literally going to go nuts with some sources.
I start from the idea that perfection doesn't exist, but even if it did, it's not for everyone. Our job here is to try to improve, to do our best, and to hope that the level we have achieved in our products will work for someone. This is all the more reason not to put up with the Chinese drop style controversy in an internal group that was born with the idea of building a point of contact with frequent responses from the developer. That group was born with the idea of contact with us, a sort of direct line. That's why we have rules. And we are not the only ones to do this, there are many similar groups where the lack of respect for the rules leads to a ban without too many explanations, at least I took the trouble to answer his message with a really long and articulated message, explaining my reasons.
Time to move on.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
we normally synchronize all controls with the control link. We have made choices for this particular product, dictated by its use.
In particular:

-the equalizer activation buttons are not synchronized in the stereo eq.
-some controls such as model selection are not synchronized in the compressor

This choice was made to take into account the use of these products in M/S mode, we preferred to keep some things independently.
So yes, it's true, the buttons on the eq for example must be activated manually, and so on...
I'm going to voice my disagreement with this decision to not sync the On/Off status of the EQ bands.

Auditioning each band now is made more difficult and in-congruent.

While I fully understand M/S considerations ... there should be an M/S 'over-ride' button to allow separate adjustments.

Quite often during Mastering, we LINK Mid and Side to start [basic L/R result] ... if Mid or Side need specific changes, we Un-Link from the Current setting and make whatever change.

2. All previous M/S capable ACQUAs work from the 'standard' established. This current decision breaks from that norm ... and is not warranted or useful.

Please reconsider ...

Thank-you
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I'm going to voice my disagreement with this decision to not sync the On/Off status of the EQ bands.

Auditioning each band now is made more difficult and in-congruent.

While I fully understand M/S considerations ... there should be an M/S 'over-ride' button to allow separate adjustments.

Quite often during Mastering, we LINK Mid and Side to start [basic L/R result] ... if Mid or Side need specific changes, we Un-Link from the Current setting and make whatever change.

2. All previous M/S capable ACQUAs work from the 'standard' established. This current decision breaks from that norm ... and is not warranted or useful.

Please reconsider ...

Thank-you
it was a very controversial decision of which we are not sure. In some ways it seems more logical so, for others, it increases the number of clicks for more traditional use. We are seriously considering whether to change the behavior in this product or to adopt it in future products.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I hope the number of beta-testers, along with the current comments on this, will sway back to the established norm that AA has set.

This is reminiscent of the -18dB=0VU Reference .... these changes only bring confusion.

Thank-you Z for your careful re-consideration.

Sincerely

[Your PITA beta-tester]
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Congrats @ zaphod looking forward to demoing this!

EAR, Knif, GML, Maselec... AA is starting to cover some serious mastering dream pieces.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

BTW @ AcusticaCM did you send out an Erin announcement email? I usually receive new AA product emails but didn’t see anything arrive regarding Erin. I’m not on FB so rely on emails (or here) to see new AA Acquas.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I vote for either link or unlink it all when selected... not just a few parameters.

I also vote for the main operational characteristics to be based on traditional stereo use. M/S is almost edge case that not everyone will always use, so the primary operation of parameter control should NOT be determined by what's best for M/S use.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Congrats @ zaphod looking forward to demoing this!

EAR, Knif, GML, Maselec... AA is starting to cover some serious mastering dream pieces.
I got the email about Erin being almost ready along with a Friday sale coming up.
Old 3 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
BTW @ AcusticaCM did you send out an Erin announcement email? I usually receive new AA product emails but didn’t see anything arrive regarding Erin. I’m not on FB so rely on emails (or here) to see new AA Acquas.
The newsletter needs to be sent on several batches due to spam regulations, everyone (subscribed) should be receiving it soon.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
He was banned not because he reported a problem, but because he went against the rules of our page. I'm sorry, but we have a low tolerance for such incidents lately. I still think it's not vital, we're talking about a private group, with rules. And it's not a very large group either.
The group has over 5,000 members. That is not small.

You need to rethink those rules. And you need to do it now. If you want a safe, positive space for your products, great. If you want something that is valuable and useful to users, then it's not always going to be safe and positive.

If you want all the users who are helping YOUR community banned, then by all means continue what you are doing. But if as a user in both communities, I can't read and post feedback, good or bad, you can count me out of investing in your products. And no, just registering a support ticket doesn't resolve these kind of things.

You got here not just because of your technology. You got here because a LOT of users and third party developers put in a massive amount of work and continually gave you feedback that made your own products better. You can either embrace that mentality or watch as your marketing and support departments and you yourself continue to alienate users.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post
I used a UK Drill style kick which has a heavily clipped waveform. Boost the low shelf at 50Hz, mid cut at 500Hz and high boost at 5KHz (all around 2-3dB) and then I got the echo bug at a low but audible level.

The low boost on its own didn't cause the echo bug like normal but its seems the interaction of the low mid band somehow brought it out.

I got banned from the official FB group today for pointing this out. I've used Acustica products proffesionally for about ten years now and really don't appreciate being kicked out of a group which I've significantly contributed to with no warning, especially when I was told the problem didn't exist by the marketing guy and now the head of the company has just acknowledged it!
I used to beta test Acustica years ago, and I always brought up this kick echo bug. I use kicks with a lot of 40-50hz and soft clipping, and the echo bug was extremely consistent. I was usually told I was imagining things or not using the software correctly. Left the community shortly after.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathe9 View Post
The group has over 5,000 members. That is not small.

You need to rethink those rules. And you need to do it now. If you want a safe, positive space for your products, great. If you want something that is valuable and useful to users, then it's not always going to be safe and positive.

If you want all the users who are helping YOUR community banned, then by all means continue what you are doing. But if as a user in both communities, I can't read and post feedback, good or bad, you can count me out of investing in your products. And no, just registering a support ticket doesn't resolve these kind of things.

You got here not just because of your technology. You got here because a LOT of users and third party developers put in a massive amount of work and continually gave you feedback that made your own products better. You can either embrace that mentality or watch as your marketing and support departments and you yourself continue to alienate users.
If you want to talk about our products, you'll be spoilt for choice. There is also a twin group, with much less strict rules.

Our bans are temporary and in my opinion these are not vital places to talk about a specific product, there are so many places to do it and where we, when we can, replicate. Then rules are rules. We do not force anyone to stay there, in fact for many people social networks in general are places to avoid carefully. I really don't have time to argue with people, and that's not really the place to be argumentative, that's not the point, and that's why there are rules. I am quite happy with what that group is like today: a place where we all try to be polite and see the negative, but also the positive side of things. Not just the bad one.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Can the loyalty coupon also be used for LondonAcoustics Enna&Telge?

On the description it says "This promotion is eligible for our Loyalty Coupon Program."

but checking out, the coupon cannot be used for it here
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
I used to beta test Acustica years ago, and I always brought up this kick echo bug. I use kicks with a lot of 40-50hz and soft clipping, and the echo bug was extremely consistent. I was usually told I was imagining things or not using the software correctly. Left the community shortly after.

What is an insurmountable problem for many is sometimes not significant for others. It is clear that what we do is not good for everyone, but it is important for others. We work for those for whom it's important.

What I always say: I do things for "my" user, and my user is someone who usually has my problem, the problem I try to solve. I never claim that my problem is everyone's problem, or that everyone has the same priority in solving problems.

I find it very correct that a betatester leaves in case he doesn't appreciate the product, on the contrary we have the opposite problem, that is to make people wait too long for us to test the products because there is interest but there are already too many of them.

There is only one thing I do not like: when one person is better than another, or in the right to advise at all costs his scale of priorities thinking that it is the best possible, and that his problems have a greater relevance. We all have our own vision of the world, and our own scale of priorities. If our visions don't coincide, the most normal thing in this world will happen: everyone will take their own way, and that's not bad, it's simply how social living together works.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
If you want to talk about our products, you'll be spoilt for choice. There is also a twin group, with much less strict rules.

Our bans are temporary and in my opinion these are not vital places to talk about a specific product, there are so many places to do it and where we, when we can, replicate. Then rules are rules. We do not force anyone to stay there, in fact for many people social networks in general are places to avoid carefully. I really don't have time to argue with people, and that's not really the place to be argumentative, that's not the point, and that's why there are rules. I am quite happy with what that group is like today: a place where we all try to be polite and see the negative, but also the positive side of things. Not just the bad one.
Be very careful with your "the rules are the rules" mantra. Not forcing anyone to stay there? People are trying to help you. What is your end goal here? Just a raving fan page where everyone tells you how awesome you guys are?

Tell you what. Bukarin has posted steps to replicate here. How about he post a sample of the kick he used and a screenshot of the settings for Acustica as well as other others here and they can also try and replicate, both audibly and via analysis. If other users are able to replicate and detect the same issues in Erin, you guys take a serious look, un-ban him on FB and start allowing posts like this again which are very valuable to other users AND not in any way intended to disparage the product.

The echo bug has been around for a long time. In a rough timeline, Acustica has said it doesn't exist, then fixed it, then said it doesn't exist again when it cropped back up, then said, this time it is really fixed and so on and so on. Now a user has reported it with yet another plugin with steps to replicate. How about instead of banning him or not allowing feedback you don't think is "positive" regardless of platform, you take a serious look, especially if other users confirm it. Sound reasonable and "positive" towards improving a product and removing a long standing bug to you?

Sure does to me...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We create a place and we set rules to make it work. Do we have to argue about this too?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I find it very correct that a betatester leaves in case he doesn't appreciate the product
Pretty sure he wouldn't have been beta testing if in fact he didn't VERY much appreciate the product. No one would be putting in the time and effort if they didn't. Maybe get through your head that people aren't here to bash your products. You can love a product and also hate that the company isn't engaging in proper QA. Telling beta testers like Sirocco that the issue they are reporting doesn't exist or telling Bukarin the issue he reported doesn't exist - or isn't important - and then banning him is the issue here, not your products.

The software world is a messy place. No one is expecting bug-free releases or for you to test your products for years before releasing. But we are expecting you to get down in the mud and get dirty when your long time users report issues like this. Not ban users or tell loyal users and beta testers who are putting in work for YOU that it is "correct" that they leave. You can acknowledge that your software has issues AND not be an asshole to your users. It is possible.

Here's a suggestion the next time a user reports a bug like this. Just post, "Hey thanks for the report. We're looking into it."
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pretty sure he wouldn't have been beta testing if in fact he didn't VERY much appreciate the product. No one would be putting in the time and effort if they didn't. Maybe get through your head that people aren't here to bash your products. You can love a product and also hate that the company isn't engaging in proper QA. Telling beta testers like Sirocco that the issue they are reporting doesn't exist or telling Bukarin the issue he reported doesn't exist - or isn't important - and then banning him is the issue here, not your products.

The software world is a messy place. No one is expecting bug-free releases or for you to test your products for years before releasing. But we are expecting you to get down in the mud and get dirty when your long time users report issues like this. Not ban users or tell loyal users and beta testers who are putting in work for YOU that it is "correct" that they leave. You can acknowledge that your software has issues AND not be an asshole to your users. It is possible.

Here's a suggestion the next time a user reports a bug like this. Just post, "Hey thanks for the report. We're looking into it."
I get it. You like to argue at random, too.

I have bad news for you, I've banned 10 people in my life. When it happens, it's not because "a problem has been reported."

It happens rather because I find someone who wants to argue about something.

But while here I'm interested in you keeping the conversation alive, because by bumping the topic you keep this thread high and increasing our sales out of all proportion, in a peaceful group where we're all relaxed I have little interest in keeping the controversy alive.

Is that right? Is that wrong? It doesn't matter, it's my place, the place I've built around rules that I've chosen and no one I force them to respect.

As I was saying, there is an identical group that talks about exactly the same things, where I am not part of it and where there are no such rules. We rarely ban, so it's news. But when it happens, ask yourselves questions!!!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
@ zaphod - As I understand the echo bug is caused because unit that was sampled had a high noise floor so in order to use those samples you have to truncate the end of tail which causes echo?

So in theory it is not possible to remove it for some devices completely?

The preamps of Erin are very nice indeed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Released on my birthday. Maybe that's a good omen.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
@ zaphod - As I understand the echo bug is caused because unit that was sampled had a high noise floor so in order to use those samples you have to truncate the end of tail which causes echo?

So in theory it is not possible to remove it for some devices completely?

The preamps of Erin are very nice indeed.
Normally some tails can be truncated and have a residual level that results in an artifact with some sources. Over time this residual level has been reduced, leading to artifacts becoming less and less detectable, even with the most problematic source.

In erin we have no record of a truncation of any kind, in fact we have found no problems.

There is however a very high noise level of the preamp which can be greatly reduced, in any case they will. I repeat, we didn't find anything strange, but maybe the noise level is connected with other issues. So maybe it will perfect, let's see.

Together with this change will affect the consumption, we have seen that it can be optimized again. The consumption is more visible in some architectures, and is strongly related to thread management.

I expect these updates tomorrow or the next day at the latest. As usual I advise you to be cautious, i.e. to evaluate the product for what it is at the time of purchase, not for the things that have to arrive. In some cases, perhaps one of them is waiting for a different improvement, for example on consumption, and might consider the intervention not sufficient.

For the equalizer I expect a consumption similar to Scarlet 4, for the compressor a consumption similar to Magenta. That's my expectation but I'd be cautious about the prediction
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I get it. You like to argue at random, too.
if you think I'm arguing at random, then you literally do not understand a single thing I've said. I've known you for a very long time, Giancarlo. I was a Nebula user when you barely knew English and would just email one or two word replies (btw, congrats your English has come a long way!)

So here is what I'm saying to you as a long-standing user because these have been problems with you guys since day 1. You need to stop taking everything personally. People aren't here to attack you, not here and not on FB. You need to be more respectful to your users. Sorry if you don't want to hear that but you really do. And you need to improve your QA. It's very lacking, especially in comparison to other plugin developers.

Hope you'll consider those "questions" in regards to Acustica just as we consider yours. Congrats on the release and you're welcome for the bump!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I do. I believe in that. I like a critical environment and I also understand the presence of mixed feelings a bit positive and a bit negative. But in a private group being constantly negative doesn't bring many advantages.
What you are creating and describing is called an Echo Chamber.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echo_chamber_(media)

You are also creating an environment for "Yes men", or more scientifically called Sycophant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sycophant

.. just saying.

Last edited by bmanic; 3 weeks ago at 09:04 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
What you are creating and describing is called an Echo Chamber.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echo_chamber_(media)

You are also creating an environment for "Yes men", or more scientifically called Sycophant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sycophant

.. just saying.
We're not the only ones!

Echo Chambers are very popular lately.

I believe that the audio world is full of fans who take everything as a matter of life and death. I have no problem living in the jungle, I've been insulted for years on kvr or here. A few posts more over a guy told me I'm an "asshole". I'll take that as a compliment. If you're not insulted today, you're nothing. When they insult you for free, then you're up to something.

So it's part of the game, I think it's part of this specific job.

And it doesn't just happen here: for example Elon Musk goes into space, and that doesn't spare him the harshest criticism.

But we all need an Echo chamber. Sometimes you just want to go home and avoid unnecessary discussions, a day of hard work. In my case, in spite of everything, I very rarely take people away from the group. It happens so rarely that when it happens, unlike other places, they really take it. There are more important things in life than a facebook group among a thousand others. These are small things, really. Besides telling me I'm an asshole, of course.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I fully support the rule of not publishing possible errors on Facebook, for that there is a ticket system, and in most cases those errors are specific to users, due to misuse, configuration, or a very specific problem with a configuration, the others Users do not have to know every error that a user reports, and see how the first answer is always the same "open a ticket".

Facebook groups should be used to share knowledge, ideas, opinions etc ... not to report problems.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I find it very correct that a betatester leaves in case he doesn't appreciate the product,
No.. that's not why a betatester leaves.

See my previous wikipedia links and please actually read them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
if you think I'm arguing at random, then you literally do not understand a single thing I've said. I've known you for a very long time, Giancarlo. I was a Nebula user when you barely knew English and would just email one or two word replies (btw, congrats your English has come a long way!)

So here is what I'm saying to you as a long-standing user because these have been problems with you guys since day 1. You need to stop taking everything personally. People aren't here to attack you, not here and not on FB. You need to be more respectful to your users. Sorry if you don't want to hear that but you really do. And you need to improve your QA. It's very lacking, especially in comparison to other plugin developers.

Hope you'll consider those "questions" in regards to Acustica just as we consider yours. Congrats on the release and you're welcome for the bump!
Here are a REALLY a lot of "you Need"!!!

On the contrary, I won't tell you what to do. I really don't know you, I don't know who you are, and I don't even know what to suggest.

I think some people are very lucky, because they always know what others should and should not do, what would be right and what would be wrong.

It's a very complex world.

Thanks to all of you, Erin is becoming our most successful product judging from the start.

I wanted to give a message of hope to everyone and the other developers.

At the beginning of the covid, I was worried that the economic disaster would overwhelm us.

Inexplicably, and against all expectations, the audio product industry in our small experience is doing very well. I know some people are going through a difficult time, especially people working in the live/concert world, but it's probably sunny after the storm.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I thought the only Rule was the use of Profanity on the FB page... Which I could give 2 %(&*'s about... I just chalk the censorship up to Company Culture and other Cultural differences...

When it comes to bug reporting on FB, they just need a dedicated FB Group for that... as for the UK Drill Kick, I started laughing, I can only imagine the sorts of issues that came up... esp if the programming is crazy...

I respect the idea of them creating products to solve like issues for folks with similar problems... But, us Hip Hop heads are usta finding alternative uses for products intended for other uses, anyway...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
No.. that's not why a betatester leaves.

See my previous wikipedia links and please actually read them.
In 15 years, we've only had 5 betatesters walk away by their own choice. The others (very few) have been removed from us because they did not report problems, i.e. they did not do betatesting activities. That happens too. I pride myself on having brought this concept of betatesters into the audio world in 2005 that nobody had experienced before. I didn't invent anything, there were examples in other areas.

Can you do better? Yes. Can I complain? No. It could have been zero, but as much as I hate to see one person leave, I can't always expect perfection to make everyone happy forever. That's life. Still, that's quite an achievement. Every once in a while someone comes back, for example an old friend who had personal problems and had to leave reluctantly contacted me a week ago and said he was going to come back. The longest-lived betatester of all is Enrique, who now works with us in Italy and has moved from Spain. For a betatester who is leaving, there is one who has changed his life to be with us!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
I fully support the rule of not publishing possible errors on Facebook, for that there is a ticket system, and in most cases those errors are specific to users, due to misuse, configuration, or a very specific problem with a configuration, the others Users do not have to know every error that a user reports, and see how the first answer is always the same "open a ticket".

Facebook groups should be used to share knowledge, ideas, opinions etc ... not to report problems.
100% agreed. And we say this clearly
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear