Fuse Audio Labs
Voxengo
Black Rooster Audio
BOZ digital labs
Hofa
McDSP

...just to name a few.

Things are getting rather silly...I ´m out
Great companies but not unique. You make a silly statement that’s what you get.....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
To get things back on track Erin is really special. I really keep violating my no new plug in rule with AA. A lot of mastering plug ins are a bit cartoony and Erin isn’t. Linking would be helpful agreed.

What is really cool is making broad strokes with Gold and refining with Erin. Overall general sculpting with Diamond...Taupe works great on tracks since lower cpu hit. It would be helpful if the plug ins saved presets used and have put in a ticket.

Nothing is perfect but a Soundtoys/AA developed plug in would come close....
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Erin got a new update today, just ago. Wonder what the sonic changes are.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by valy View Post
I just put the Erin compressor on the mix bus solely for how the preamp is solidifying the low end, especially the bass guitar. I have the compressor off.

Expensive CPU-wise, but worth it.
On another song just now, I put the Erin Mid EQ on a bass guitar to try out a small boost. Before I even got to the boosting part, I tried driving the preamp at max input gain. The bass instantly lost a lot of its annoying midrange boxiness and sunk a bit in the speakers. Don't even think I'm gonna use the EQ in this case, but the preamps on these things are ridiculous.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valy View Post
On another song just now, I put the Erin Mid EQ on a bass guitar to try out a small boost. Before I even got to the boosting part, I tried driving the preamp at max input gain. The bass instantly lost a lot of its annoying midrange boxiness and sunk a bit in the speakers. Don't even think I'm gonna use the EQ in this case, but the preamps on these things are ridiculous.
Stop it. I don't want to buy another Acqua. I don't.

I'm on my new MBP and made the mistake of installing Pink 4 (9GB!) and now probably have to wait a few hours to demo Erin.

Are people finding the Core 16 tech to make that much of an impact on the sound of the pre amps?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I just bought Erin yesterday. Buy it.... you'll feel better! Resistance is futile
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

The mid range eq is fantastic.

Hi,

I purchased this and find the mid range eq to be fantastic.

I am running Softube Weiss EQ1 in dynamic mode. Then the Weiss dresser. The Erin mid range eq and I could not be happier with the combination.

Highly recommend.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.simmons View Post
I have yet to hear the mystical "echo-bug"
It's not mystical at all, in fact up until TimP told how to remove it, it was in every library at varying degrees. When it's there it is really noticeable on tight low kick drums and is annoying as hell.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Back to the plugin

Just a question about the plugin to those who have bought it:

Has Erin replaced any of your goto plugins? And which?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I recently built a new PC with a nice i9-9940X processor.
If I open all 3 Erins and one El Rey it's the only buffer size that works is 1024 (Antelope Orion 32 gen3). Cubase CPU usage is at a relaxed 6% .... Any ideas or is this normal.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flow00 View Post
I recently built a new PC with a nice i9-9940X processor.
If I open all 3 Erins and one El Rey it's the only buffer size that works is 1024 (Antelope Orion 32 gen3). Cubase CPU usage is at a relaxed 6% .... Any ideas or is this normal.
1024 is a pretty standard buffer size for mixing. Erin is especially intense on system resources, so yeah, that doesn't really surprise me.

The reported CPU usage often not the best indicator of how many plugins you are going to be able to stack...especially with Acquas/N4.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

there seems to be a recurring theme that Aqua is quite 'CPU hungry'. But is it really? My 4 year old i7 PC was handling Aqua almost as good as the new beast.
I am not a programming expert but the hardware resources appear to be there in abundance (including idle Nvidia cards - I remember N3 cuda was an attempt to use that processing power) .
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Reaper I think is good with these .. Protools .. the worst But go sloooow and commit

It’s the daw I think more than anything
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flow00 View Post
there seems to be a recurring theme that Aqua is quite 'CPU hungry'. But is it really? My 4 year old i7 PC was handling Aqua almost as good as the new beast.
I am not a programming expert but the hardware resources appear to be there in abundance (including idle Nvidia cards - I remember N3 cuda was an attempt to use that processing power) .
It depends on how you are using them and how your DAW processes audio.

I'm no expert, but from what I understand, everything on a single track has to be processed with a single core -- that load can't be split among cores.

So even if you have 100-core CPU, if you put too many Acqua on the same track and overload the core that is processing them, you'll get clicks or pops or stoppage or however your DAW handles that overload.

Conversely, if you have 50 tracks in the mix and put a single Acqua on all of them, that load can be distributed across your multiple cores. So you could seemingly get to put more total Acquas in your project in that case.

This is partly why trying to judge your available system resources by using CPU usage information (especially from within the DAW) isn't so useful sometimes.

Increasing buffer size essentially takes some real-time load off the CPU, which is why most people running a lot of heavy plugins use 1024 or even 2048. The drawback is that it takes longer to start and stop playback, and of course recording latency.

I've heard of people mixing at 96k with 512 buffer, but I couldn't imagine that. I get stoppages and artifacts even at 48k with 1024 buffer...then again I'm running a couple dozen Acqua and N4 instances at times. At some point, I usually have to start freezing tracks.

I don't think there's too many commercially available computers that can run, say, 50+ instances of Pink4 + assorted Purples, Ultramarines, Big Ceils, Erins etc. without problems.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
@ AcusticaCM

In the Erin Manual, Low Shelf should be High Shelf. Pic attached.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Acustica Audio releases Erin: luxury mastering suite for the discerning artist-screenshot_20200702-022154.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Question On this topic -

If I run a plugin heavy stereo bus - and have this as a track in Logic.

If I split this up by placing half of the ten stereo bus plugins on an aux first, then routing this to a second aux with the next five plugins on it, essentially just splitting my stereo bus into two halves, making no other changes to routing etc - will this make a difference to cpu usage - will it split them across cores and make better use of CPU?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
Question On this topic -

If I run a plugin heavy stereo bus - and have this as a track in Logic.

If I split this up by placing half of the ten stereo bus plugins on an aux first, then routing this to a second aux with the next five plugins on it, essentially just splitting my stereo bus into two halves, making no other changes to routing etc - will this make a difference to cpu usage - will it split them across cores and make better use of CPU?
Yes is the simple answer.
Try and spread your stereo bus plugins over multiple aux buses in Logic.
Just have 2 or 3 plugins in each bus.
You route each bus to the next one with the final destination being the stereo bus.

This improved performance in Logic for me.
I have used this system for a few years now.

Having 10 (or more) insert plugins on the Logic stereo bus is NOT a good practice.

Good luck
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
It's not mystical at all, in fact up until TimP told how to remove it, it was in every library at varying degrees. When it's there it is really noticeable on tight low kick drums and is annoying as hell.
Sure! I don't doubt its existence. The crux of the matter - and it's in your post, too - is "when it's there".

I just wanted to give a different perspective. To me the echo-bug is mystical because:
a) I've been using many different AA plugins on all kinds of genres, including commercial EDM with very prominent and low kicks and never experienced it
b) I keep reading posts from people complaining about it, but no one ever attaches an audio example.

Anyway, it's great that AA keep improving their technology.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Reel View Post
Giancarlo, it may be due to the worlds current pandemic situation. But I have seen a lot of 'poor' human behaviour recently, not just here on GS but in many different aspects of life. Just today I have seen a lowlife kicking a swan in the head on a riverbank because the swan was in the way. Pathetic and shameful.

Maybe it's just a build up of frustration with life in general, missing the pub, missing holidays, missing loved ones etc. Who knows. Don't take things too much to heart.

There's a lot of plugin users down here kicking swans in the head presently. Am I a fool for thinking it will cease?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
actually in Nebula3 and all libraries up to and including core5 (so practically all nebula libraries) should never have problems, since we have implemented a fade (which is roughly automatic) since 2007.
That fade was exactly what it was for. So I doubt that nebula libraries have ever had a problem unless the developer had disabled the fade-out (but it seems to me that by default it always had a value greater than zero), or at least use a template with a fade set to zero. However, in Nebula it's very easy to resolve it, the Kernel page exposes this fade setting in case the developer used the 0 value. For the Nebula libraries it is more likely that noise that is not perfectly distributed will create the problem (then if the noise is dense it creates a reverberation effect and so there are no problems). In fact, the typical spike introduced by noise is dimensionally similar (you can easily get 50dB oscillations between noise samples). If they are very diffuse they behave like a reverb, if they are scattered and less dense they behave like a delay. This is also intuitive, just think of the differences between a delay and a reverb in the common DSP.

The residual noise problem is more a problem introduced by Core6, as all normal fade mechanisms built for that purpose are bypassed and a unique response is built. One of the problems with optimizations is this, e.g. this response was in the frequency domain so it was less easy to introduce fade out without making the CPU even more CPU intensive. With time we postponed this implementation, because honestly in all these years the number of requests were very few (even if on GS some users were very vocal, in reality, this had no impact on sales and diffusion of the products and so we dedicated ourselves to other more urgent problems, for example, automation).
In the last period, the requests became more insistent and we simply put an end to the controversy, introducing the equivalent of a fade-out ALSO for Core6 and later techniques. I thought that the implementation would be more complex and would have engaged us more, otherwise, we would have anticipated it.
By way of quality, we asked users to comment on the improvement in perceived quality following this implementation, and I would say that the average response indicates an improvement between 5% and 10%. Then I can understand that everyone points to quality and that some may have had problems processing individual problem traces, but it is not a difference between day and night. The way I see it if a tool is not good enough to process a source (e.g. a bottom drum EDM) I move on to the next option. As I have said many times in the past, some sources can still be problematic for some analog processors, for example, a tube preamplifier. It's not true that anything can go into any process or processor, it's also up to the engineer a bit to determine whether the processing is bringing benefits or problems, and choose the right tool for the right action. If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every possible problem as a nail.
Some might argue that the purpose of a digital emulation is to completely replace the analog object it emulates, but I would remain cautious about the level of accuracy and the result. The goal is not to replace it in every possible condition but in average use. For some things digital even has obvious advantages, for example, you can correct phase differences between two processor channels, or fix some annoying roll-offs.

It's a long explanation, but I'll repeat the fundamental point: it wasn't an external developer who recommended doing the fade of impulsive responses or kernels since the feature was introduced to solve this specific problem in Nebula2 version 1.0 in 2007, and it's one of the few things that can be set in the Kern page, always extremely visible in the interface. All of this is verifiable.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

That’s good to know about the CPU hit over multiple channels -

I had started doing this just due to slot limitations in logic - nice to know it helps with cpu load

I will be updating my Mix Template to include this new change.

It’s currently /

HORNET VU-SPAN-ARTURIA PRE 73-ERINEQ-NEUTRON EQ-SPECTRE-STANDARDCLIP-ERINCOMP or PINK4 comp.

And then 2nd AUX

SOFTUBE TAPE-GULLFOSS-BASSROOM-MIXROOM-TONAL BALANCE-MTM LEVELS-SONARWORKS

So - that was never fitting in one Stereo Bus!

I may now split over three auxs - PreAmps and EQ, Saturation and Compression, Mix correction and levels/monitoring.

Thanks,

D
Old 6 days ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.vybz View Post
@ AcusticaCM

In the Erin Manual, Low Shelf should be High Shelf. Pic attached.

Thanks.
Thank you. I just sent it for correction
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
@ zaphod

Feature request: AI Eq or compress the sound in use based off sidechain info.

Right now its useful for solo sounds but i would like to see how it would eq when hearing the context of a mix. Now that would be innovation. There are multiple variations but you get my point.

Since your using longer tails like nebula 3/4 Reverbs, wouldnt GPUs excel in this aspect?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Mr.vybz; 6 days ago at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Spelling.
Old 6 days ago
Company Rep

Exclamation Erin update available

You asked, we listened! ERINEQST- Button Linking now available.

Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

thank you! just tested and it works great.

if you guys happen to squeeze in a similar update for the ratio and mode switches in the compressor, where i think the same logic applies, that'd be even better.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

thank-you !
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Could somebody elaborate on the compressor please? Opinions?

I think is good, but testing in extreme ratios/threshold settings mixes getting out of balance (yes I know, but that is a test that I do to proof compressors and there are ones for mastering that are very clean and balanced in extreme settings > TDR Kotelnikov GE)
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
A, please link Ratio and Mode in comp to!!!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundano View Post
Could somebody elaborate on the compressor please? Opinions?

I think is good, but testing in extreme ratios/threshold settings mixes getting out of balance (yes I know, but that is a test that I do to proof compressors and there are ones for mastering that are very clean and balanced in extreme settings > TDR Kotelnikov GE)
i don't use it in an extreme way and haven't messed with the ultracomp mode much yet, but the regular comp doing 1-2db of compression is as good as it gets to my ears. the way i usually dial it in - pre off, fastest release and sometimes fastest attack, ratio 2 or 3, sidechain around 50-60hz - catches peaks in a very elegant way and doesn't sound compressed while adding a bit of size and impact.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Hey Guys, anyone notice a slight lower mid to bass drop when enabling the high Peak in the Stereo Eq plugin?
@ AcusticaCM is this to be expected?

Thanks.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear