The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AudioThing releases Speakers - Microphone and Speaker Simulations Plugin
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Software AudioThing releases Speakers - Microphone and Speaker Simulations Plugin

Speakers is a plugin effect designed to emulate a wide range of loudspeakers and microphones using our state-of-the-art convolution engine.

Speakers features a freely configurable effects chain, comprising compression, distortion, and filtering, as well as an array of looping background noises for setting the sound in a variety of environments.

No iLok or any other dongle required!

Our older plugin Speaker is now discontinued.
If you own a copy of Speaker, Megaphone, or Fog Convolver, you can get Speakers with an additional discount! Log in to your account to find out.

Details
  • Intro Price: $59 / €59 (full $99 / €99)
  • 47 Speakers
  • 30 Microphones
  • 15 Distortion/degradation algorithms
  • 38 Background noises (173MB)
  • EQ, Compressor, Multimode Filter
  • Flexible Routing
  • Zero Latency* / Ultra Low CPU
  • Resizable Window
  • Preset system with randomizer

Video Overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B-WS1xN0I0

Product Page: https://www.audiothing.net/effects/speakers/

* Speakers features our zero-latency convolution engine. However, the Robotization and Quantization degradation algorithms will introduce some latency (based on the FFT size parameter).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

VERY cool
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Think the discount in 5 Euro max. I have 17 paid plugins from AudioThing and 2 of the 3 they list as getting the discount for.

That said looks like tonnes of new features with this, so not really an upgrade!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Gotta love @ audiothing , always comes up with cool new plugin tools ;-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Not sure if I really need this after demoing but it sure is fun to try out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Excellent. Very, very useful and straightforward plugin.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How exactly is your convolution engine "state of the art"when we have things like Volterra Kernels(i know it aint strictly convolution but for the sake of argument..)and dynamic convolution engines like Liquidsonics "Fusion-IR"from what i can tell this is just some generic convolution implementation with static impulse responses some compression and other effects to kind of mitigate the staticity of time invariant convolution.just curious to know how exactly that makes it "state of the art"
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickskii View Post
Think the discount in 5 Euro max. I have 17 paid plugins from AudioThing and 2 of the 3 they list as getting the discount for.

That said looks like tonnes of new features with this, so not really an upgrade!
Yes, it's not really an upgrade, more like an additional discount as we have discontinued the old Speaker plugin (and we'll probably do the same with Megaphone). Also, a new version of Fog Convolver is coming soon
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
How exactly is your convolution engine "state of the art"when we have things like Volterra Kernels(i know it aint strictly convolution but for the sake of argument..)and dynamic convolution engines like Liquidsonics "Fusion-IR"from what i can tell this is just some generic convolution implementation with static impulse responses some compression and other effects to kind of mitigate the staticity of time invariant convolution.just curious to know how exactly that makes it "state of the art"
What we wanted to mean is: our convolution engine is zero-latency, very fast, optimized for multi-thread work, can load multiple IRs in sequence smoothly, and has a very very LOW cpu hit. Stock convolution engines that you can find in frameworks like JUCE don't meet all of these points.
We take pride in what we do, and every now and then we allow ourselves to use some hype terms
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would love a version of Fog that doesn't cause random loud spikes and shut down my audio interface when loading some impulses.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
I would love a version of Fog that doesn't cause random loud spikes and shut down my audio interface when loading some impulses.

The new version of Fog Convolver is coming soon! Speakers (and to an extent) Springs use the new features. We'll post some sneak peek on instagram in the following weeks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothing View Post
What we wanted to mean is: our convolution engine is zero-latency, very fast, optimized for multi-thread work, can load multiple IRs in sequence smoothly, and has a very very LOW cpu hit. Stock convolution engines that you can find in frameworks like JUCE don't meet all of these points.
We take pride in what we do, and every now and then we allow ourselves to use some hype terms
Fair enough.a difference in prioritisation i guess.i really only care about sound and would simply dismiss the absence of some of that or rather most of it in favour of that,but i get optimisation and zero latency matters to some people
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Any plugin that radically-enough and creatively-enough changes the input signal would strongly benefit from zero latency as the performer would adopt his performance reacting to such a plugin - in case he could monitor his performance with that plugin in the monitoring chain
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Curious to hear from anyone else that demos this.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErezW View Post
Any plugin that radically-enough and creatively-enough changes the input signal would strongly benefit from zero latency as the performer would adopt his performance reacting to such a plugin - in case he could monitor his performance with that plugin in the monitoring chain
Not everybody is a live performer though(im a sound designer mostly) and it still doesn't invalidate my position considering that there is not much contouring,nuance,or expression you could possibly expect from a snapshot of one speaker,captured at one specific load,at one specific angle and completely insensitive to dynamic changes in frequency and timbre( which is an inherent property of LTI systems like convolution/impulse responses which speakers are not of any shape or size)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The new version of Fog Convolver is coming soon! Speakers (and to an extent) Springs use the new features. We'll post some sneak peek on instagram in the following weeks.
Is the new version going to have a resizable bank and category window? I was hoping when lists like author and rating were turned off this would give those two lists more horizontal area but it did not. It would be great to see more of the file name in each box instead of the first 10 letters. The category list on the left hand side.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As with other AudioThing plug-ins, I find with 'Speaker' the sum is greater than the parts.

Lots of well thought out small things contribute to an overall inspirational sound design tool.

I currently have three instances separately automated processing three busses of outputs coming from Sugar Byte's 'Drum Computer'. Using my own 'system' of parameter permutations (serially-based) connected to 'Speaker' via Numerology 4 Pro, allows me a systematic exploration of it's possibilities. Because of the above-mentioned 'small things', I am finding both the course and fine tuning of interesting combinations a pleasure ('Noise Envelope', 'IR Pitch', 'IR Mix' being the present target of my attentions over the systematic variations).

So, all that to say...as an owner of many, MANY electro-mechanical-acoustic simulation processors (and I would include 'Fog Convolver' among my favorite/most used), it was a real 'no-brainer' to pick this up

Oh, and thanks for the 'loyalty discount' ;-), and please keep up the Maverick's support as long as you can, it's much appreciated!

And news concerning a 'Fog Convolver' update is very welcome, as again I find it very useful for my more experimental explorations of convolution technology.

Last edited by Loopy C; 3 weeks ago at 10:53 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yay, awesome.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollohe View Post
Is the new version going to have a resizable bank and category window? I was hoping when lists like author and rating were turned off this would give those two lists more horizontal area but it did not. It would be great to see more of the file name in each box instead of the first 10 letters. The category list on the left hand side.
Yes, the browser will feature many improvements. We are actually rewriting the plugin from scratch.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy C View Post
As with other AudioThing plug-ins, I find with 'Speaker' the sum is greater than the parts.
Thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
CGR
Gear Head

'Speakers' looks and sounds like a very useful processing tool. Love the GUI and flexibility - impressive work. I'll have a play with the demo over the coming days. Great news about the FOG Convolver update. I was using it today with some Binaural Impulse responses and appreciated again how good it is.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

My discount was 10 Euro as a FogConvolver, valve filter and valves owner.

Cracking looking plugin, really versatile and easy to tweak.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
My discount was 10 Euro as a FogConvolver, valve filter and valves owner.

Cracking looking plugin, really versatile and easy to tweak.
Yeah I think the Fog Convolver gets you the 10!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I think the Fog Convolver gets you the 10!
Got both Fog Convolver, Megaphone as well as the old Speaker, still just 10.
I guess 10 is the max they give out.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post

People have kids to feed and mortgages to pay - this is a great value plugin!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Looks nice. The obvious comparison would be AudioEase Speakerphone. Has anyone compared it yet?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
+100
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Yes, that's the maximum discount. However, the price you see in the user area will stay there probably all year long. While the intro price ends next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGR View Post
'Speakers' looks and sounds like a very useful processing tool. Love the GUI and flexibility - impressive work. I'll have a play with the demo over the coming days. Great news about the FOG Convolver update. I was using it today with some Binaural Impulse responses and appreciated again how good it is.
Thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
Looks nice. The obvious comparison would be AudioEase Speakerphone. Has anyone compared it yet?
I've got Speakerphone and I'm demoing Speakers. Despite its ball breaking price Speakerphone still requires an iLok key (as far as I'm aware) and is not able to be authorised on an iLok account (ie on the computer) - so tbh I might get 'Speakers' just for that reason alone as I've started working on laptop.

Speakers is extremely similar to Speakerphone right down to the 'background sounds' (eg car noise, ambient noise etc) and the ability to mix mics with speakers. I've not been able to demo back to back yet but playing around in Speakerphone it certainly is very good and for me has enough fun sound design possibilities to make it an essential if you don't have Speakerphone.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I played with the demo, really cool and useful plugin. Where do I find the distortion controls?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear