The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MAAT Completes Trilogy With New LP EQ: thEQred
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
What do you say MAAT?
I think MAAT is starting to realize that people like me who paid in full for both Red and Orange EQs for a grand total of $978 are starting to feel like complete idiots now that they suddenly changed the subscription policy to $100 for BOTH Orange and Red AFTER many of us already purchased under the OLD subscription policy.

Let's do the math shall we:

$100 a year would mean it will take 10 years (!) before my ownership had any actual value over the subscription path and to be honest, Im not sure if I will be using the MAAT EQs 10 years from now. I might even be dead.

Hey MAAT, am I a sucker to you guys? Thanks for making me feel like one.

Id like a complete refund of my original purchase now that you've gutted its value.

$978 up front or $100 a year for 10 years.... hmm decisions decisions.

I love their plugins but these guys obviously dont care about keeping their PAYING customers happy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Now potentially Orange, Red and Blue for $100 a year?

And rent to own even?

I paid $1367 for all three. Give me my money back, and please get your $hit together.

Yea im pretty fn pissed off.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
I think MAAT is starting to realize that people like me who paid in full for both Red and Orange EQs for a grand total of $978 are starting to feel like complete idiots now that they suddenly changed the subscription policy to $100 for BOTH Orange and Red AFTER many of us already purchased under the OLD subscription policy.

Let's do the math shall we:

$100 a year would mean it will take 10 years (!) before my ownership had any actual value over the subscription path and to be honest, Im not sure if I will be using the MAAT EQs 10 years from now. I might even be dead.

Hey MAAT, am I a sucker to you guys? Thanks for making me feel like one.

Id like a complete refund of my original purchase now that you've gutted its value.

$978 up front or $100 a year for 10 years.... hmm decisions decisions.

I love their plugins but these guys obviously dont care about keeping their PAYING customers happy.

Quote:

And rent to own even?

I paid $1367 for all three. Give me my money back, and please get your $hit together.

Hey Robb, I know how you feel and it does suck indeed. However this is how markets work. Sometimes you win some, other times you lose some.

I personally paid 10K for my Waves Mercury TDM bundle. Now it’s 3K. F U WAVES!!

Friends of mine have spent over 2K on Plugin Alliance plugins. I have now twice as many PA plugins as they do for $200/yr. F U PA!!

I bought a pair of nice Armani jeans for $300 a couple of years ago. My cousin bought the exact same pair for $70 3 months later. F U ARMANI!!

I could go on for days...

If you bought those MAAT plugins as a monetary investment, I feel bad for you and I’m sorry.

If you bought them because they provided value to you, that value is still intact as the day you bought them.

My 10K Waves bundle and my Armani jeans have served me well and they keep serving me to this day in their full capacity, regardless of how much someone else paid for them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Motown legend

I've been using them for 13 years!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

And rent to own even?

Wait... what? All I've seen are people wishing to subscribe for all 3 plugins, and wishing it was "rent to own". No indication it's actually gonna happen.

And your price for orange + red at $119 per month subscription means your theoretical payback is closer to 8 years, not 10.

But, yeah, software is not an "investment" in anything but your ability to make use of it. And if other plugins are any indication, prices are sure to only go down as time goes on.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

And rent to own even?

And, P.S.... don't remind me how much I paid for TC Powercore and its top tier plugins, or the Lexicon PCM Reverb and Effects bundles when they first came out.

Edit: ...or that Pro Tools III system I bought about 2 months before Pro Tools 4 was released. Why am I even alive?
Old 4 weeks ago
OMU
Lives for gear

Or how much users of the original Algorithmix versions paid for them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This company is definitely figuring it out as it goes (as most do). I'm guessing the $ to license Algorithmix's algorithms was hefty.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Hey Robb, I know how you feel and it does suck indeed. However this is how markets work. Sometimes you win some, other times you lose some.

I personally paid 10K for my Waves Mercury TDM bundle. Now it’s 3K. F U WAVES!!

Friends of mine have spent over 2K on Plugin Alliance plugins. I have now twice as many PA plugins as they do for $200/yr. F U PA!!

I bought a pair of nice Armani jeans for $300 a couple of years ago. My cousin bought the exact same pair for $70 3 months later. F U ARMANI!!

I could go on for days...

If you bought those MAAT plugins as a monetary investment, I feel bad for you and I’m sorry.

If you bought them because they provided value to you, that value is still intact as the day you bought them.

My 10K Waves bundle and my Armani jeans have served me well and they keep serving me to this day in their full capacity, regardless of how much someone else paid for them.
I get it, but I bought the Red and Orange days before they switched the subscription policy to include both plugins. Thats not cool.

And no I didn't buy these plugins as an investment. I bought them thinking it was the smart decision (vs subscribing to both individually) only to have them make me feel like an idiot days later.

I would've subscribed to both for $119 a month. What a deal right?

Ive been in this game a while, but Ive never seen anything like this "make it up as we go" policy.

btw Syra I think we spoke on the phone in 2006 right? I owned a studio in San Clemente called Sounden and Chris Pelonis or Charlie Bolois put us in touch before or during your build. Still rocking that awesome room?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearzy shore View Post
I am thinking about buying these eq's but want to ask some of you who have been using them for a bit before I do.

Is this an accurate description of them in usage?

Blue (character/experimental -individual tracks, groups and mix)
Orange (surgical cuts -mix and/or stereo stems/mastering)
Red (small broad boosts - stereo stems/mastering only)?

Potentially, use all 3 inline to make a sort of super eq, with 3 windows open at the same time kind of thing?

Blue
I prefer Blue over FF Pro-Q3 for example. I have 12 flavours, but when mixing, I want to save time. I always use Number #1 and I'm very happy with the results. No idea what's the sound of the other 11

Orange
I batch process every single audio track with Wavelab, Orange Lo Cut at 20 Hz. For my ears there is absolutely no noticeable pre-ringing or transient smearing. I also use Orange for Mastering, manely for cuts - perfect sound.

Red
Red is on my Mixing-Stems, most of the time small high- and/or low-shelfes. Sometimes bell-boosts where needed. Again, I cannot hear any LP artifacts.

I am very happy with these three :-)

One word to EQuilibrium: Maybe you can configure it to make it similar sounding to Orange/Red. But this is not the workflow I like. I do not want to waste time with configuring FIR and IIR modes, tweaking around here and there. No. I just use my MAATs - done.

Same with other EQs I like. For example UAD 1084. A few parameters and it sounds fine. No needs for extra bands or Q-factors or or or.
I want to concentrate on the sound, not on crazy numbers in setup menues.

As always, that is my personal opinion, YMMV
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phynubis View Post
Blue
I prefer Blue over FF Pro-Q3 for example. I have 12 flavours, but when mixing, I want to save time. I always use Number #1 and I'm very happy with the results. No idea what's the sound of the other 11

Orange
I batch process every single audio track with Wavelab, Orange Lo Cut at 20 Hz. For my ears there is absolutely no noticeable pre-ringing or transient smearing. I also use Orange for Mastering, manely for cuts - perfect sound.

Red
Red is on my Mixing-Stems, most of the time small high- and/or low-shelfes. Sometimes bell-boosts where needed. Again, I cannot hear any LP artifacts.

I am very happy with these three :-)

One word to EQuilibrium: Maybe you can configure it to make it similar sounding to Orange/Red. But this is not the workflow I like. I do not want to waste time with configuring FIR and IIR modes, tweaking around here and there. No. I just use my MAATs - done.

Same with other EQs I like. For example UAD 1084. A few parameters and it sounds fine. No needs for extra bands or Q-factors or or or.
I want to concentrate on the sound, not on crazy numbers in setup menues.

As always, that is my personal opinion, YMMV
+ to all.

Regarding Blue's curves, if you like the sound of Neve EQ you may want to try Proportional 1. My buddy loaded MAAT Blue Proportional 1 and his hardware Neve 1081 side by side in Plugin Doctor and they matched almost perfectly.
Old 4 weeks ago
Motown legend

Blue has a very low noise floor and no saturation. This allows it to sweeten analogue gear (or DSP models) with minimal narrowing of the image or loss of presence. The only others like this I know are Sonnox and MDW but the Blue is more flexible. That said, it's always worth trying the others. Sonnox can sound better on piano and I've heard MDW be better on percussion.

Red is its own thing. If something really sounds great but needs a bit of top or bottom, it can do an amazing amount without losing the existing quality. It's great that it now offers separate rendering because its latency and CPU overhead are immense and I work at 96k these days.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Difference vs these one? :
lkjb QRANGE (free, IIR linear/minimum with selectable quality/IR length)
Sonoris Mastering Equaliser (users say it is IIR linear based too, yeah? Selectable quality, LP/MP switch)
PLParEQ (people also say it is IIR linear based too, or? Selectable quality, LP/MP switch)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Flux View Post
Difference vs these one? :
lkjb QRANGE (free, IIR linear/minimum with selectable quality/IR length)
Sonoris Mastering Equaliser (users say it is IIR linear based too, yeah? Selectable quality, LP/MP switch)
PLParEQ (people also say it is IIR linear based too, or? Selectable quality, LP/MP switch)
Just review the posts in the MAAT and Weiss threads -you´ll find lots of comparisons there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Regarding Blue's curves, if you like the sound of Neve EQ you may want to try Proportional 1. My buddy loaded MAAT Blue Proportional 1 and his hardware Neve 1081 side by side in Plugin Doctor and they matched almost perfectly.
Thank you for this hint. Just tried it against my UAD 1081 (which needs an mkII update! UAD! Listen!) - of course I plugindoctored a bit before - and: nearly impossible do say what is what in a A/B blindtest.
I think, with the real hardware there is something which Blue can't emulate, but I do not own such a piece, only this old UAD emulation of it.

hmmm... now... argh! You made me waste time (in a good way), because now I'm thrilled to experminent much more with Blue's other Architectures
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for this hint. Just q it against my UAD 1081 (which needs an mkII update! UAD! Listen!) - of course I plugindoctored a bit before - and: nearly impossible do say what is what in a A/B blindtest.
I think, with the real hardware there is something which Blue can't emulate, but I do not own such a piece, only this old UAD emulation of it.

hmmm... now... argh! You made me waste time (in a good way), because now I'm thrilled to experminent much more with Blue's other Architectures
If you dont know the original hardware how can u assume blue can't emulate it, especially when the person you quoted actually has the hardware and said they almost matched perfectly? Just curious like the monkey
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
btw Syra I think we spoke on the phone in 2006 right? I owned a studio in San Clemente called Sounden and Chris Pelonis or Charlie Bolois put us in touch before or during your build. Still rocking that awesome room?
No way man! Sounden was awesome. Yes I’m still in that room although I changed it quite a bit since it was first built.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Software

Quote:
I think, with the real hardware there is something which Blue can't emulate…
Hey Phyn,

We agree, cuz its analog hardware. That said, we are working on an update to thEQblue that should bring it subjectively on par with hardware. All you thEQb owners, please stand by for the next major update. BTW, the current version available for download is 2.1…
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
If you dont know the original hardware how can u assume blue can't emulate it, especially when the person you quoted actually has the hardware and said they almost matched perfectly? Just curious like the monkey
I assume it just because I can maybe it can emulate it, even better

I like my Blue
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasciarotte View Post
Hey Phyn,

We agree, cuz its analog hardware. That said, we are working on an update to thEQblue that should bring it subjectively on par with hardware. All you thEQb owners, please stand by for the next major update. BTW, the current version available for download is 2.1…
Fantastic news :-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey Phyn,

Hi, will the Santa Cruz EQ be updated with the same tech?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoff View Post
Hi, will the Santa Cruz EQ be updated with the same tech?
Hey Spoff,

Sorry, no. SCEQ is designed as our light weight EQ plug–in, with no extra code, no fancy features. Excellent equalization; no more, no less.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=omasciarotte;14799690]Hey Spoff,

Sorry, no. SCEQ is designed as our light weight EQ plug–in, with no extra code, no fancy features. Excellent equalization; no more, no less.[/QUOTE

Love SCEq
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Hey Phyn,

Can you say how far off's the update?

Cheers,
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie-1 View Post
Can you say how far off's the update?
Hey Vinnie,

Sorry, no. I (re)learned my lesson with thEQred. That puppy took 8 weeks longer than projected to get it to the point where we were happy with it! To paraphrase a cheesy ’70s wine advert with Orson Wells, “"We will sell no MAAT before it's time."
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear