The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
discoDSP releases free Schroeder Reverb for macOS
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Software discoDSP releases free Schroeder Reverb for macOS

Free. macOS AU and VST3 formats at https://www.discodsp.com/schroeder/

Overview

Early Schroeder reverberators consisted of the following elements:
  • A series connection of several all-pass filters.
  • A parallel bank of feedback comb filters.
  • A mixing matrix.
The all-pass filters provide colourless high-density echoes in the late impulse response of the reverberator. These all-pass filters may also be referred to as diffusers. While all-pass filters are colourless in theory, perceptually, their impulse responses are only colourless when they are extremely short (less than 10 ms or so). Longer all-pass impulse responses sound similar to feedback comb-filters. For steady-state tones, however, such as sinusoids, the all-pass property gives the same gain at every frequency, unlike comb filters.

The parallel comb-filter bank is intended to give a psychoacoustically appropriate fluctuation in the reverberator frequency response. A feedback comb filter can simulate a pair of parallel walls, so one could choose the delay-line length in each comb filter to be the number of samples it takes for a plane wave to propagate from one wall to the opposite wall and back.

Thus, one may choose the comb-filter delay-line lengths more or less arbitrarily, and then use enough of them in parallel (with mutually prime delay-line lengths) to achieve a perceptually adequate fluctuation density in the frequency-response magnitude. In four such delays are chosen between 30 and 45 ms, and the corresponding feedback coefficients are set to give the desired overall decay time.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

My first thoughts were -

That's a simple looking reverb, with a clean, spartan GUI. It seems simple enough to use, with its' two controls, and sometimes less is definitely more.

Then I read the description and holy cow! You need a PHD in reverb to understand that thing!

That has got to be the most complex description that I've ever read for any reverb. Especially for a reverb that seems to be so simple, with only two controls.

I don't mean that in any negative way, I mean that in a light hearted kind of way.

I'm on Mac, so I'll be downloading this. I did listen to the demo on the site real quick, and this reverb seems to be for making very long tones. Thanks!
Old 2 days ago
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
AFAIK no. That one uses lattice structure which is based on Michael Gerzon's telescopic fashion engineering. It's not the same as the Schroeder reverberator model. Also you need a PhD to know how to use it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search