The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UVI releases Drum Replacer
Old 22nd May 2020
News Desk Editor

UVI releases Drum Replacer-pp_drum_replacer_splash.jpg

UVI release Drum Replacer, realtime intelligent component separation and triggering, with integrated VSTi hosting, browser, and more, available now with special intro pricing

Paris, May 22nd, 2020 - UVI release Drum Replacer, a realtime, program-adaptive, drum replacement utility giving users feature-rich component separation and triggering with exceptional ease-of-use. Utilizing machine learning-based analysis with realtime separation, Drum Replacer helps you easily remove bleed from drum recordings, replace drums in a mix with your favorite samples or VSTi, add precisely timed sub-bass, layer existing drum sounds, and much more. Drum Replacer is available now at an introductory price of $59 / 59€ through June 30th (regularly $99 / 99€).

Drum Replacer works uniquely by analyzing incoming audio and creating spectral models of each discrete component it hears (up to 5 + 1), feeding only the desired ones through to a customizable trigger detection circuit. With up to 8 internally-hosted audio samples or VSTi, these triggers can be used to generate anything, from replacement drums using your favorite samples or plugins, to creative mixing applications like reinforcing a hit with sub-bass, extracting specific sounds to side-chain other processors, and more. The internal sounds can be triggered in various ways from all-at-once, to more dynamic modes like sequential, and random, allowing you to easily introduce variety.

Setting up new sounds is a breeze thanks to an integrated browser; quickly locate local files and plugins and tag those commonly-used as favorites, then configure your plugins using their native interfaces. Samples can be quickly shaped with an AHD amplitude envelope, fade-in/out handles, and +/- 48 semitone tune control. One-click gain and pitch matching help you maximize correlation and blending with your source material, while the positive and negative time delay and a layered graphical waveform display help you perfectly time your new sounds to the input (even pre-triggering them!).

A large graphical display helps you fine-tune detection, while comprehensive metering of all internal tracks and triggers are visible in both the mixer and edit tabs. Presets can be saved of individual track configurations, or of all 8 tracks. Meanwhile each track has a custom name field to help you mitigate complexity, and ease the process of working with unfamiliar or older projects.

Focused, smart, and easy-to-master - with huge potential for creative mixing and remixing applications - Drum Replacer is a fast and reliable tool in any production environment and for users of any skill level.

Drum Replacer is compatible with current versions of all major DAWs on both Mac and Windows platforms (VST, AU, and AAX). A single license includes 3 activations that can be used on any combination of individual computer systems or iLok keys. A free 15-day trial is available on uvi.net.

Pricing:
Drum Replacer is available immediately at a special introductory price of $59 / 59€ through June 30th, 2020 (regularly $99 / 99€)

Additional information on Drum Replacer is available at:
https://www.uvi.net/drum-replacer
Attached Thumbnails
UVI releases Drum Replacer-pp_drum_replacer_splash.jpg  
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Can you load in superior drummer and SSD in the same fashion as Kontakt?
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Nut

All the features seem really truly amazing but as someone whose drum sample library is 90% trigger .TCI files I cant justify buying it...

Last edited by The-Zeronaut; 22nd May 2020 at 09:50 PM..
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

the fact that you can quickly load in 3rd party/kontakt vst's and hopefully toontracks etc
and also being able to drag in multiple wave files alone is getting my attention!!!
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Nut

Can it extract midi out of audio signal??? Kinda Toontrack EZBass
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

I'll definitely demo it,but if the source separation i have heard thus far is anything to go by,i wont hold my breath
Old 22nd May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post
All the features seem really truly amazing but as someone who´s drum sample library is 90% trigger .TCI files I cant justify buying it...
Exactly the same thing for me. If this plugin was able to load tci files it would has been an instant buy
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post
All the features seem really truly amazing but as someone whose drum sample library is 90% trigger .TCI files I cant justify buying it...
I guess you could you get around that problem by loading Trigger into one of Drum Replacer's plugin slots. Not sure that's a good idea, though – there's a chance the space-time continuum will implode.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Well I did try it out, and not a good experience. Strange from UVI as their stuff is usually rock solid.

1.Tried it in Studio One 4 and crazy CPU usage, I know this isn't an exact science but Trigger 2 uses about 3% in the DAW meter whereas Drum Replacer used 22% without anything loaded !!!

2. Tried it in Cubase 10.5 and the plugin scanned as a 32 bit and was blacklisted, re engaged it and Cubase hard crashed.

Sorry UVI at this point I just deleted it as I am busy ATM. Maybe others experiences may vary but I was looking forward to the VST loading feature
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

i tried to get it to work in Maschine last nite. No luck. I think you need to load each wave file in a group into the channel in the plugin and then tweak it that way. Maybe would work better in a DAW and Kontact. Will try again. I was hoping to discover what exactly the "AI" component of the plugin does.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsdenis View Post
Well I did try it out, and not a good experience. Strange from UVI as their stuff is usually rock solid.

1.Tried it in Studio One 4 and crazy CPU usage, I know this isn't an exact science but Trigger 2 uses about 3% in the DAW meter whereas Drum Replacer used 22% without anything loaded !!!

2. Tried it in Cubase 10.5 and the plugin scanned as a 32 bit and was blacklisted, re engaged it and Cubase hard crashed.

Sorry UVI at this point I just deleted it as I am busy ATM. Maybe others experiences may vary but I was looking forward to the VST loading feature
Exactly the same things here..
I got it to work only in Logic.
They have to address shortly this thing with the vst version otherwise the trial period will go to the trash
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsdenis View Post

There's no mystery.its using machine learning to achieve source separation.that's always going to eat CPU.i guess its not an offline process in this (no rendering period)and its running in realtime or close to it.i could imagine that could be pretty costly
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
There's no mystery.its using machine learning to achieve source separation.that's always going to eat CPU.i guess its not an offline process in this (no rendering period)and its running in realtime or close to it.i could imagine that could be pretty costly
If thats the case its really not much use as a drum replacer as you would normally use multiples, I will stress though it read the high CPU when it was doing nothing, the track wasn't running and no samples were loaded. I was testing it on a final mix to see how it would compare to Trigger 2 on the snare track, pressed play and instant overload, so maybe it used even more than the 22% when idle.
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
i though it just uses CPU when you click the "learn" button and have the program start analyzing the drum sequence. I guess thats the AI portion they are talking about in the marketing). But it only does that for 15 or 30 secs, then it turns off. That was my understanding of it. I don't how it compares to other similar programs.
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
i though it just uses CPU when you click the "learn" button and have the program start analyzing the drum sequence. I guess thats the AI portion they are talking about in the marketing). But it only does that for 15 or 30 secs, then it turns off. That was my understanding of it. I don't how it compares to other similar programs.

Even though that should be the case i ran into a similar issue with Regroover when i demoed that a while back.the source separation detection was offline(required rendering and analysing)but the CPU hit was the same so i just assumed the algorithm was just constantly running in the background, but doesnt spit out the result until you tell it to
Old 24th May 2020
Just brought.......
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
Just brought.......
I am trying to get my head around how it works. (Sorry, not very familiar with Drum replacement).

For example, to get it to work with lets say Kontact drum pattern in a DAW and you want DR to give it a more realistic sounding snare in the drum part.

You would need to separate the snare so its on its own channel in the DAW. And then you need to load up DR as a VST and then lost up different versions of that snare sample and then set DR to trigger randomly the different snares that you loaded up?

I fail to understand what the AI separation is for then? If you are loading up different samples of a snare. it just helps better isolate the sound of the snare sample from other sounds and frequencies? Can't you use eq for that?
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I am trying to get my head around how it works. (Sorry, not very familiar with Drum replacement).

For example, to get it to work with lets say Kontact drum pattern in a DAW and you want DR to give it a more realistic sounding snare in the drum part.

You would need to separate the snare so its on its own channel in the DAW. And then you need to load up DR as a VST and then lost up different versions of that snare sample and then set DR to trigger randomly the different snares that you loaded up?

I fail to understand what the AI separation is for then? If you are loading up different samples of a snare. it just helps better isolate the sound of the snare sample from other sounds and frequencies? Can't you use eq for that?
“WORKFLOW
Utilizing machine learning-based analysis with realtime separation, Drum Replacer will examine and intelligently parse an incoming audio signal into discrete components. Selected elements are then fed into a detection circuit to trigger up to 8 internally-hosted audio samples or virtual instruments simultaneously, sequentially, or randomly.”
I take this to mean UVI Drum Replacer can tell what is a snare and what is a kick or high tom, etc. (up to eight different drum elements). Accordingly, it can trigger up to eight different samples or VSTis—one per element. I could be wrong.
Old 25th May 2020
Old 25th May 2020
Definitely interesting. Dont know how much of a evolution it is compared to the old trigger plugins?
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Definitely interesting. Dont know how much of a evolution it is compared to the old trigger plugins?
what are the "old trigger" plugins?
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
https://stevenslatedrums.com/trigger-2-platinum/
Old 25th May 2020
Quote:
The ones that already exist
Trigger 2
Drumxchanger
Aptrigga3
Drumagog
Addictive trigger
I haven't tried them all but I like how this new plugin looks and if it is as good as they showed in the video it's a step up from some of the one above.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

thanks all. i see. this seems to be a tool for augmenting a recorder drummer with adding sampled drum sounds to specific parts of the drum performance. so this isn't a tool you would really need if you are mostly using Kontact instrument tools and dont have a recorded drummer?.
Old 25th May 2020
Quote:
thanks all. i see. this seems to be a tool for augmenting a recorder drummer with adding sampled drum sounds to specific parts of the drum performance. so this isn't a tool you would really need if you are mostly using Kontact instrument tools and dont have a recorded drummer?.
Exactly.
I guess you could sample replace midi also if you only have wav files.
But the visual is good here when you can see the samples waveform lining up and it seems easier to get them phase accurate.
Only negative is that most of my samples are tci files.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

I thought the "AI" component was something where you can throw a drum performance track of some kind at the software, and the "AI" analyzes the performance in conjunction with the rest of the tracks and comes up with an AI enhanced performance track. something like advanced smart cognitive swing plugin.

maybe wishful thinking.
Old 25th May 2020
Quote:
I thought the "AI" component was something where you can throw a drum performance track of some kind at the software, and the "AI" analyzes the performance in conjunction with the rest of the tracks and comes up with an AI enhanced performance track. something like advanced smart cognitive swing plugin.

maybe wishful thinking.
Lol..... No sir. This is not that. It's a plug out there I forgot the name. That does that.
Old 25th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
The ones that already exist
Trigger 2
Drumxchanger
Aptrigga3
Drumagog
Addictive trigger
I haven't tried them all but I like how this new plugin looks and if it is as good as they showed in the video it's a step up from some of the one above.
I loved aptrigga. But it never evolved into more. And trigger 2 made me change files to tci and I was like F that. Drum x changer was cool but, meh. The licensing was an issue.
Old 25th May 2020
Sadly, I can't try it, it crashes Nuendo 10 (Mojave) all the time...
Old 25th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
I loved aptrigga. But it never evolved into more. And trigger 2 made me change files to tci and I was like F that. Drum x changer was cool but, meh. The licensing was an issue.
i have no doubt that this is better than most of the other stuff. But is it 99€ better?
or 59€ if we hurry.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear