The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UVI releases Drum Replacer
Old 1st June 2020
Lives for gear

hello, is there anyone on a Mac OS X system that is using this with Cubase? I re-downloaded the files and compered. The file for Windows is indeed 1.0.1

The file for Mac was still 1.0.0. Not sure if the new Mac version is updated.
Old 1st June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
hello, is there anyone on a Mac OS X system that is using this with Cubase? I re-downloaded the files and compered. The file for Windows is indeed 1.0.1

I have 1.0.1 for mac which I received a couple of days ago via my support ticket. It works flawlessly. I didn't know it's not on the website yet though.
By the way, I want to say that it is one of my best purchases.
Today I did experiment on a variety of live kick and snare tracks.
It simply works! It's accurate and fast. I tried it also with kontakt studio drummer and ssd5 blackbird presets. Drum Replacer is a winner

edit*
v.1.0.1 is also in my account, so no worries. I don't know about the trial though
Attached Thumbnails
UVI releases Drum Replacer-screen-shot-2020-06-01-21.02.30.png  

Last edited by Arionas; 4 weeks ago at 07:06 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

Humm it should be the case.
How did you downloaded it ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otristan View Post
Humm it should be the case.
How did you downloaded it ?
i am still using trial. i submit a request for a trial and get a download link. will try again today.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
i am still using trial. i submit a request for a trial and get a download link. will try again today.
oh I see. I think you need to ask it back so you get a new download link that point to the updated version.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh I see. I think you need to ask it back so you get a new download link that point to the updated version.
thanks. did it and seems to be working as expected on OS X 10.13
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hello, I am tinkering around with this product in Cubase, and Kontakt. Not sure if this is a UVI, or Cubase or Kontakt question, but.. here goes.

I have a track loaded in Cubase and have Kontakt loaded there and inserted a MIDI drum progression.

I can't load Drum Replacer directly on the track as an insert as its not a audio track. but i was able to separate one instrument from the drums into its own track, and then load Drum Replacer in there as a pre effect insert. and then in there i load another VST like Battery and replace or enhance the sound of the kick. just want to confirm, this is the correct way to place this plugin? or is there a better place to add it in the DAW?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi,

Olivier, from UVI here.
It works fine on a single float drum loop as this is what you can hear on some of the example on the product page.

https://soundcloud.com/uvi-official/sets/drum-replacer
Breakbeat is done like that for example.

Still you will need to use multiple instance of DR as you can replace only one thing in one instance.

The rationale behind this is that you would probably need to have a setting set per element so it would complexify the UI a lot.
Moreover you cannot have aux output in an FX plugin so you would not be able to put your own FX on each element which would be deceptive.
Still you can do it and the workflow is not really more complicated IMO
Hallo, Olivier!
I have newly purchased DrumReplacer and I think it would be a great advantage to also be able to trigger multiple different drums from one loop in one plugin.
If we could simply connect each of the single audio components to each of the different sample/plugin slots it would be awesome. And it wouldn't clutter up the UI as it could be as simple as selecting the audio components you need per slot in contrast to being able to selecting/deselecting them only for all slots at once.
Please overthink that. I think that would greatly improve the functionality and versatility of DrumReplacer. And I also think this can not be too difficult to implement.
Going to write a feature request to the support for this, too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle242 View Post
Hallo, Olivier!
I have newly purchased DrumReplacer and I think it would be a great advantage to also be able to trigger multiple different drums from one loop in one plugin.
If we could simply connect each of the single audio components to each of the different sample/plugin slots it would be awesome. And it wouldn't clutter up the UI as it could be as simple as selecting the audio components you need per slot in contrast to being able to selecting/deselecting them only for all slots at once.
Please overthink that. I think that would greatly improve the functionality and versatility of DrumReplacer. And I also think this can not be too difficult to implement.
Going to write a feature request to the support for this, too.
The thing is that you would need one threshold per element and probably other settings as well which would clutter the UI.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Hello, I am tinkering around with this product in Cubase, and Kontakt. Not sure if this is a UVI, or Cubase or Kontakt question, but.. here goes.

I have a track loaded in Cubase and have Kontakt loaded there and inserted a MIDI drum progression.

I can't load Drum Replacer directly on the track as an insert as its not a audio track. but i was able to separate one instrument from the drums into its own track, and then load Drum Replacer in there as a pre effect insert. and then in there i load another VST like Battery and replace or enhance the sound of the kick. just want to confirm, this is the correct way to place this plugin? or is there a better place to add it in the DAW?
most DAW allow to load plugin effect on instrument track. I m surprised Cubase wouldn't allow this.
You know what they said. whatever works
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
The thing is that you would need one threshold per element and probably other settings as well which would clutter the UI.
Hmm, okay. You definitely know that better than me. Well, goodbye, dreams of Multi Trigger Drum Replacer...
Thanks anyway for this info, Olivier.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
most DAW allow to load plugin effect on instrument track. I m surprised Cubase wouldn't allow this.
You know what they said. whatever works
maybe i am missing something then. i will check again. still, DR seems like a good tool.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

How is the VST plugin scanning supposed to work? It scans the plugins, no problem.. but nothing shows up in the GUI folder??

I'm using Studio One on OS X. Should I use VSTI or AU instruments inside drum replacer?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just finished testing this. Overall pretty good. I was hoping the GUI to be a bit more slick in its response but it works. However I'm in a 4K monitor and not being able to resize it is an issue. Are there any plans to offer scalable GUI?

Another problem for me that may be a deal breaker is the lack of the ability to drag and drop directly from my session edit window. In studios with great drum recording capabilities, there is no need to replace with external samples. In the end of the recording session we sample the actual kit we just recorded and may replace a kick or a snare more for consistency and bleed than anything else. Every product in the market requires you to go to a browser, locate the desired folder and then choose or drag and drop you samples. In the scenario I described earlier, add to that also having to export the samples from the session to such a folder. All in all, a lot of wasted time mousing around when I could just grab the sample I have right in my session and drop them in to drum replacer. A lot of sampler VIs have that capability so I know it's doable. Is this something you can add UVI? I'm using Studio One by the way.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Another problem for me that may be a deal breaker is the lack of the ability to drag and drop directly from my session edit window. In studios with great drum recording capabilities, there is no need to replace with external samples. In the end of the recording session we sample the actual kit we just recorded and may replace a kick or a snare more for consistency and bleed than anything else. Every product in the market requires you to go to a browser, locate the desired folder and then choose or drag and drop you samples. In the scenario I described earlier, add to that also having to export the samples from the session to such a folder. All in all, a lot of wasted time mousing around when I could just grab the sample I have right in my session and drop them in to drum replacer. A lot of sampler VIs have that capability so I know it's doable. Is this something you can add UVI? I'm using Studio One by the way.
It all depends on what kind of DnD allows S1.
Are you able to DnD those sample from your session directly to the desktop for example ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommijk View Post
How is the VST plugin scanning supposed to work? It scans the plugins, no problem.. but nothing shows up in the GUI folder??

I'm using Studio One on OS X. Should I use VSTI or AU instruments inside drum replacer?
It's probably best to contact our support so we can troubleshoot this.

Thanks !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It all depends on what kind of DnD allows S1.
Are you able to DnD those sample from your session directly to the desktop for example ?
Through its browser yes but not on the actual desktop itself. Some samplers though allow you to drop directly from the session. Actually I discussed this with the S1 team (I consult for them) and they said its basic XML stuff. I already got them in contact with another manufacturer and you can DnD in all of their products now so I can get you in touch with them directly to see if it's something easy to implement. PM me your email and I will set it up.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Through its browser yes but not on the actual desktop itself. Some samplers though allow you to drop directly from the session. Actually I discussed this with the S1 team (I consult for them) and they said its basic XML stuff. I already got them in contact with another manufacturer and you can DnD in all of their products now so I can get you in touch with them directly to see if it's something easy to implement. PM me your email and I will set it up.
Ok it's like Cubase then.
We support it in our Sampler Falcon but not in DrumReplacer.
Should be doable though.
Will check on our end. no need to contact them.

Thanks !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok it's like Cubase then.
We support it in our Sampler Falcon but not in DrumReplacer.
Should be doable though.
Will check on our end. no need to contact them.

Thanks !
If you do this, you’d automatically have the market advantage for S1/Cubase users. It will be an instant buy for me and many others. If you have any further developments please quote and reply to this thread so we know. Thanks!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Only 8 tracks, why?

Also does it generate MIDI from Audio?

Last edited by electro; 6 days ago at 09:59 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Simple question for you guys... Does it work with drum loops that have vocal bass guitar and synth mixed in already?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Loving the accuracy of this drum replacement plugin.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Only 8 tracks, why?

Also does it generate MIDI from Audio?
No, at the moment DR does not have the possibility to transform the trigger signal you created into MIDI out. This is an absolute miss and I wrote to support to request for this.
But could not be mistake to do this here as well, so: Hey UVI please please implement the possibilty to transform the trigger signal into MIDI out, it would be a tremendous help. At best with a selectable MIDI note and sensitive to velocity.

The 8 slots are not for 8 tracks but for up to 8 different (drum)sounds triggered by the trigger-signal you created with the threshold, filtering and so on.
To build the sound you want to have triggered out of these 8, or to have variations (triggered in sequence or randomly or velocity dependent).
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabiss View Post
Simple question for you guys... Does it work with drum loops that have vocal bass guitar and synth mixed in already?
It depends on how well the different drum elements in your given loop can be isolated with the help of the filtering, the threshold and so on.
But since my interest for DR goes in the same direction: to rebuild the drums from already recorded drum loops to get the real feel and groove from these drums - and since I tried it with a number of drum loops (= loops with drums only), I'd say in your case with loops that also include vocals, bass, synth you won't get far and will be disappointed.
The filtering in DR is quite advanced and it can be of really great help to isolate the different drum elements, but it can't do magic. DR and its filtering was not built for that in the first place, but to filter out the bleed in recordings of single drum elements and for this it is spot on.

But when working with just drums loops (drums only) the results are very often very good and way better then what I was able to achieve with other drums replacers. In case you have not demoed it yet: DR is build and meant to isolate and replace one drum element per instance, so to hopefully rebuild a drum loop you will have to work with 2, 3, 4... instances.

Also I found out that it can be of help to shape your drum loop a bit before you feed it into DR. For example with Zynaptiqs UNVEIL to get rid of / minimize the reverb. Or to pre-filter it. Or sometimes with a bit compression and / or gating. A good one for gating here for me is the one from Softube Valley People because it behaves very musically. One has to be creative here a bit and the isolating of elements in a given drum loop can be tricky.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwuw View Post
No, at the moment DR does not have the possibility to transform the trigger signal you created into MIDI out. This is an absolute miss and I wrote to support to request for this.
But could not be mistake to do this here as well, so: Hey UVI please please implement the possibilty to transform the trigger signal into MIDI out, it would be a tremendous help. At best with a selectable MIDI note and sensitive to velocity.
Don't worry this is on our toDo list. Don't have an ETA but as we already have all the prerequisite, this should be doable.
We would like to add an offline MIDI DnD and a MIDI out for supported DAW.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
It depends on how well the different drum elements in your given loop can be isolated with the help of the filtering, the threshold and so on.
But since my interest for DR goes in the same direction: to rebuild the drums from already recorded drum loops to get the real feel and groove from these drums - and since I tried it with a number of drum loops (= loops with drums only), I'd say in your case with loops that also include vocals, bass, synth you won't get far and will be disappointed.
Thank you for taking the time to answer !
In my case i was interested in extracting one particular instruments (hi hat, snare, kick...) out of an already exiting drum loops and reusing the data to trigger my own samples... So i guess i did not make such a big mistake by buying it at the intro price
Thanks again
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Don't worry this is on our toDo list. Don't have an ETA but as we already have all the prerequisite, this should be doable.
We would like to add an offline MIDI DnD and a MIDI out for supported DAW.
This sounds great!
Thank you for the information.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabiss View Post
Thank you for taking the time to answer !
In my case i was interested in extracting one particular instruments (hi hat, snare, kick...) out of an already exiting drum loops and reusing the data to trigger my own samples... So i guess i did not make such a big mistake by buying it at the intro price
Thanks again
You're welcome.
As I said: if you are working with a loop with drums only then your chances to get a satiesfying result are good to very good.
But - according to my experiences so far - be prepared that depending on the given loop sometimes isolating elements is very easy, where on the other hand sometimes you have to fiddle around with the filtering and with gate, threshold, cooldown, release and inhibition because of their interaction.
For example:
a snare with only single hits is easy to isolate, but when there are rolls or it is something like a marching band-snare then most likely the fiddling begins.

But with the obviously upcoming MIDI out option I think I then might take only what can be isolated without too much fiddling into midi and then will try to rebuild / recreate the (for Drum Replacer) difficult movements in my DAW.
The result should have the feel / the groove of the drum loop I wanted to rebuild, but might not be an exact copy of it, but that does not mean it has to be less good or less interesting.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I'd like to add:

if like me you want to have the freedom of changing the sounds you want to replace the original drum loop with - but without changing them everytime in Drum Replacer (because this could be time comsuming and a bit uninspiring), until the MIDI out option is implemented you could do this workaround:

if your DAW has some kind of basic audio-to-midi-plugin (like I have in Bitwig, which works good for single drum sounds but does not for drum loops) - then in Drum Replacer replace the respective drum element just with a short hit (for example: a rim shot), record this into your DAW, and then transform this recording with your DAWs basic audio-to-midi-plugin into MIDI.

I did this a couple of times, and yes: it takes a bit of time, because you have to do this for every element you want to replace -
but thanks to Drum Replacers ability to isolate, the results are very good, and never could have been done with Bitwigs audio-to-midi-plugin alone.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'd like to add:

I did this a couple of times, and yes: it takes a bit of time, because you have to do this for every element you want to replace -
but thanks to Drum Replacers ability to isolate, the results are very good, and never could have been done with Bitwigs audio-to-midi-plugin alone.
Thanks a lot for all this information ! It will prove very useful !
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear