The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Toontrack releases EZBass
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Addict

I settled on the UAD Ampeg after comparing a bunch of them, including the ones you mention. Helix is nice because it includes a decent model of the Darkglass preamp.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
I settled on the UAD Ampeg after comparing a bunch of them, including the ones you mention. Helix is nice because it includes a decent model of the Darkglass preamp.
UAD Ampegs are the same as the PA ones people are talking here.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
For sounds and feel that appeal to me, the PA B-15N is, in my opinion, the very best bass amp sim I have ever used. For me, this was immediate and obvious.
Thank you for this recommendation! I was so blown away by EZbass 'all-in-one' thing that I had not tried a different amp sim.

But wow! Switched to Clean DI into the B15N and you are absolutely right. Instant and immediate bump in sound and options for sound.

+1000. Turn off the internal amp sim and try the PA B15N. All kinds of different mic, eq, and cab setups. Setup #42 : 4x10 + 1x 15 563+Blue worked right away!

EDIT: After a few more minutes playing around with the B15N I got a sound going that's very similar to the intro bass tone of AIC's 'Stone'.

Old 26th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Thks .

I was watching videos and they say in one of them "drag and drop midi " from any Toontrack software or click the open file

2020 : no drag and drop from DAW .... bravo and no demo
Drag and drop has worked for me for quite a long time and without a glitch. Which DAW are you using? As the Toontrack rep mentioned above, EZBass will do it *if* the accompanying software supports it.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
UAD Ampegs are the same as the PA ones people are talking here.
I picked up the UAD version on sale over the holidays. Between the two, I would choose the PA version (or UAD) for best Ampeg tone. But .... if you want more non-amp/cabinet capabilities (distortion, preamps, fx, etc), Helix Native has a lot of bells and whistles (and a good price if you wait for one of their software sales).

You can demo both and compare .... your bass and interface will be an important piece of the puzzle.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Drag and drop has worked for me for quite a long time and without a glitch. Which DAW are you using? As the Toontrack rep mentioned above, EZBass will do it *if* the accompanying software supports it.
Definitly a bug , can't believ it passed the beta RC phase :

Drag and drop from daw :

Studio one : AUDIO : NO !! MIDI : NO !!

Cubase : MIDI OK AUDIO NO !!

Sonar : AUDIO & MIDI OK

spent hours trouble shooting more than having fun

System : windows 8.1 64 .
Old 26th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
I picked up the UAD version on sale over the holidays. Between the two, I would choose the PA version (or UAD) for best Ampeg tone. But .... if you want more non-amp/cabinet capabilities (distortion, preamps, fx, etc), Helix Native has a lot of bells and whistles (and a good price if you wait for one of their software sales).

You can demo both and compare .... your bass and interface will be an important piece of the puzzle.
+1

Another bass amp option would be the Kuassa Cerberus, it's affordable and certainly worth a try.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs View Post
Drag and drop from DAW to plugin is a limitation of the DAW not the plugin. If the DAW supports it, EZbass can import it via drag and drop.
I will agree if that daw wasn't able to do it with other software ....

I already posted it but :

S1 : Audio and midi drag not working
Sonar : all working
Cubase : midi only

I know sonar is , in my book the most solid all arounder here , but come one , Cubase / steinberg isn't a rocky

AT LEAST this should be stated in your site , no demos and no infos : kinda too much .

So at the end , do i have to hit the support , or you guyz drop the ball to daw manufacturer ?
Old 26th May 2020
Quote:
I will agree if that daw wasn't able to do it with other software ....

I already posted it but :

S1 : Audio and midi drag not working
Sonar : all working
Cubase : midi only

I know sonar is , in my book the most solid all arounder here , but come one , Cubase / steinberg isn't a rocky

AT LEAST this should be stated in your site , no demos and no infos : kinda too much .

So at the end , do i have to hit the support , or you guyz drop the ball to daw manufacturer ?
I would suggest getting a response from Toontrack before lighting the torches and burning their reputation. As mentioned previously, this didn't show up for most people (it was tested to great depths) so it's worth discovering what, specifically, is causing the issue in your configuration. They're not the type of company to leave customers out in the cold so if some communication is required with a DAW developer they'd do so.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Studio One audio and midi clips are metadata, therefore not “real” clips like Sonar or some others. That was how it was explained to me in the toontrack forum...
Old 26th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
Studio One audio and midi clips are metadata, therefore not “real” clips like Sonar or some others. That was how it was explained to me in the toontrack forum...
I have been using the same setup and found one way round the problem is to export the midi or audio to the desktop and then import into EZBASS.
Old 26th May 2020
Here for the gear

You know you can just record MIDI into the EZBass application right? SD3/EZDrummer works the same way. If you have a MIDI file on your EZDrummer track just play it in the DAW and press the record button in EZDrummer and it'll copy the MIDI into the Song Track area. I find that's usually faster than messing with exporting MIDI and importing it, etc.
Old 26th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog001 View Post
You know you can just record MIDI into the EZBass application right? SD3/EZDrummer works the same way. If you have a MIDI file on your EZDrummer track just play it in the DAW and press the record button in EZDrummer and it'll copy the MIDI into the Song Track area. I find that's usually faster than messing with exporting MIDI and importing it, etc.
Ah, that’s great, so I can just play my EZkeys track in my DAW and it will be recorded as midi into EZbass?
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

EZbass 1.0.3 update available through Product Manager...

https://www.toontrack.com/release-no...-notes-ezbass/
Old 26th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Ah, that’s great, so I can just play my EZkeys track in my DAW and it will be recorded as midi into EZbass?
Hmm. I was about to respond with a simple yes but thought I’d double check and… oddly enough that doesn’t work. A piano line with multiple notes records into the plugin just fine and you can drag and drop that file into, for example, the Tap2Find to search for similar grooves *but* it doesn’t seem to allow you to drag and drop that file into the bass MIDI generator (in the Drums & Keys tab). I guess they didn’t think anyone would try that as a work-around so it’s possibly just an oversight on Toontrack’s part.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

+1000 on the PA B15N! I think that’s been the best money I ever spent on a plugin.
The EZBass sounds so good I haven’t even tried the two together but will. I’m also a fan of Modo bass
but the EZBass does seem to tuck into a track better and I really love the Sub knob.

The problem with Trilian and to some extent Modo is that they are made to sound AMAZING when played by themselves during the demo. You have to really chisel a lot away to make it fit with other instruments.

Don’t overlook the retrigger key switch (D1?). It’s brilliant in that it plays the same note as the right hand. I’d like to see this concept in all libraries like perc or strings.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
I have been using the same setup and found one way round the problem is to export the midi or audio to the desktop and then import into EZBASS.
Hey Zyzygis do you know Studio One also allows drag files into the browser to achieve same?
The way I use it I then keep any "exported files" in the relative Songs folders along with any other key data. You can do this for single or multiple parts of a song.
The default mode saves as an Audioloop but if you select shift it will save as a midi file. In this case you can then drag it straight back from browser into EZBass.

Note: if you do save stuff as an Audioloop you can right mouse click the saved file and select "Show package contents", a drop down then lets you see your VIs, a flac copy of the track, plugins used, midi file etc. - very useful!
I didn't know about this functionality for a long time & it really does speed things up
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I would suggest getting a response from Toontrack before lighting the torches and burning their reputation. As mentioned previously, this didn't show up for most people (it was tested to great depths) so it's worth discovering what, specifically, is causing the issue in your configuration. They're not the type of company to leave customers out in the cold so if some communication is required with a DAW developer they'd do so.
I'm not lighting the torche , i'm a long time supporter and show EZD at course , and i have a workshop on thirsaday that i wanted to show it at students , hence my frustration , usually i NEVER buy a 100 % new product with months of maturity and testing .

My problem is that according to the answer i quoted , add to the videos and the manual that is not even finsihed when talking about audio drag and drop (see pic ) i don't feel confident at all ...

A simple : we're working on it would have been great but instead i have a feeling that they gonna say : daw fault ...

Notice that it's VST ...maybe if they used VST 3 this could work (pure speculation , i don't know )

But for me i'm not talking about a small bug or annoyance , i'm talking about a MAIN FEATURE , MArketed heavily and that makes this product unik !!!

I love toontrack stuff and they're are present in EVERY production i make so it's my right and even duty to force them to provide as solid and beautyfull products as past one (at least)

Bug i encoutered and could live with (and actually adressed in V1.03) , just to point out that i 'm concilient but not for core features !!

BUG FIXES

General

Playback did not read the correct dampening value if it was set in front of the playhead when starting.
Fix for hammer-ons for C0 and below, which sometimes didn’t work when playing slap/pop.
Exporting dampened MIDI did not really work.
MIDI with duplicated events was not exported “correctly.”
Auto-disabling of Follow Host didn’t work in Cubase.

Song Track

Very short notes at the end of a chord could be ignored when changing chords.

Grid Editor

Dampening CC was not generated correctly on playback for MIDI blocks that did not start at the first bar.

Drums & Keys Tab

Changes to the key signature after importing MIDI are now respected.

Audio Tracker

The default tempo for a recording from a DAW is now the DAW’s tempo.

Tracker velocity circles were drawn a bit off when zoomed in.
When importing a tempo in the Tracker Session Setup dialog, the tempo was not reflected in the tempo menu.

KUDOS for those bug fixes , pretty surprised they could be there from start but thks to toontrack and please don't ignore the drag and drop thing !!
Attached Thumbnails
Toontrack releases EZBass-manual.jpg  
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Guru

We are several at having ithis issue and we investigated a little , several raod from admin right to VST/ xml

here's last finding By Mattew

So it looks like if Toontrack would have implemented that VST XML compatibility ot woild hav solved this and i'm pretty sure the same for S1 since the core is really cubase like (since its dev was an ex steinberg guy)
Attached Thumbnails
Toontrack releases EZBass-discussion.jpg   Toontrack releases EZBass-ez-bass-xml.jpg  
Old 26th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
A simple : we're working on it would have been great but instead i have a feeling that they gonna say : daw fault ...
Of course they're gonna say that, because it's true. It's been this way for years, some DAWs support drag and drop to plugins and some don't.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalfrandX View Post
Of course they're gonna say that, because it's true. It's been this way for years, some DAWs support drag and drop to plugins and some don't.
Dude i'vee been drag and dropping audio clips from any daw in any synths that claims to suppoort it (Padhsop for exemple) without any issue , so proof is if you want to support DAWS , you can by implementing a FULLY feature compatibility , by embracing DAWS subtilities, in that case VST XML support .
Old 27th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I'm a bass player and have no need for it, but I'm sure many will benifit from it.
I'd have loved something like this 10 years ago. But its way, way...way more fun to just buy a bass.

I like their drum stuff though.
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Addict

I love bass guitar. Nothing beats the power of a well-played and expertly-recorded bass in a good song. Over the years I've bought three basses (one active, one passive, one short scale) and learned to play them "OK." And I've bought and experimented with a number of bass pre-amps, DIs, and amp/cabinet emulations trying to get the sound and feel of what I hear on my favorite records. I'm not great. But I'm not bad.

From my brief time experimenting with EZ bass though, I think I could create a bass track using EZbass alone that would fool most folks after it was mixed down into a tune. In fact, I think the resulting sound would likely sonically beat what I could put together with the "real thing." Plus, I can quickly use MIDI ghost notes, mutes, and scales that would take me hours to practice on a bass.

Drums? There is no way I would tackle buying and learning drums, let alone recording them. I hire a drummer or (more often) use Superior Drummer 3. Keyboards? Its plug-ins all the way for me. No doubt. Same for casual strings. Bass is sort of on the fence, I think, depending on your needs.

As with most things, it comes down to time (practice) and money (gear). And for a whole lot of people I think EZbass will meet their needs, especially if they haven't invested in buying a good bass and DI and hours of dedicated practice.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

So. I got a really cool sound happening using Ezbass. I have one instance playing the vintage bass finger style through the built in Seventies preset and a 2nd instance of the vintage pick style clean DI out to the PA B15N. Cut the lows out on the B15N pre-amp (post) and drive the gain to get a nice pick attack. Blended to taste and fit for the track. Nice round/full sound from the finger style and just enough of the pick attack cutting through the top end. SO SWEET!
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I'd have loved something like this 10 years ago. But its way, way...way more fun to just buy a bass.

I like their drum stuff though.
I was about several time , since it s even chezper than all my bass plugins but i know i m gonna frustrated as hell cause of my total ignorance of playing lol ...

Was thinking about a violin bass , i just love them into ampeg s ...
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Working on my 1st full track with EZbass, R&B/Soul, and I really dig EZbass. I'm now interested in some bass amp plugins and looking out for some sales.

And I'm looking forward to a P-Bass and stand up bass, and more jazz lines.
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Addict

Judging from Toontrack's history of selling add-on sound libraries (e.g. for EZdrummer, EZkeys, Superior Drummer), I imagine we'll see these and others some day. Save your $!

I forgot to mention another favorite bass amp/cab emulation plug-in: Parallax by neuraldsp. At first I thought it was mainly for metal modern bass stuff, but after trying the demo I ended up buying it because you can dial in very nice levels of analog warmth, and really shape the tone. I use it as often as the UAD/PA B15N plug.
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
Working on my 1st full track with EZbass, R&B/Soul, and I really dig EZbass. I'm now interested in some bass amp plugins and looking out for some sales.

And I'm looking forward to a P-Bass and stand up bass, and more jazz lines.
Ampeg svt vr
Softube eden
Overloud markbass

Those will get you covered

I also have some super great tones using darkglass from neural dsp (don t be afraid to bypass the cab )
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

If I were recording a real bass I would just DI it - personally I never use a bass amp/speaker.

So does EZ Bass sound good in it's clean/raw setting without any bass amp simulations added?
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
If I were recording a real bass I would just DI it - personally I never use a bass amp/speaker.

So does EZ Bass sound good in it's clean/raw setting without any bass amp simulations added?
You have a tone control that is imho sufficient to dial the right tone for the material , this with the articulation and damping should be sufficient ...

Not deep as modo in controls but sufficient .

Imagine modo sonic engine and ezbass editing and features in one plugin.... ouch this could be great !!!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear