The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Toontrack releases EZBass
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

This is a pretty cool piece of software for sure. My question involves wanting to send the bass out of my DAW and process it out of the box. Is there a way to change the instrument from stereo to mono?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Great software...but the Vintage Jazz bass doesn't sound like I had hoped...which is more like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHX-0sfPQ-w

Maybe there will be expansions...
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Great software...but the Vintage Jazz bass doesn't sound like I had hoped...which is more like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHX-0sfPQ-w

Maybe there will be expansions...
Pretty sure you could get close to that sound by using the 'DI' out into a Fender Bassman emu along with some EQ/comp
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs View Post
What would be your workflow if you require bouncing of a bassline from MIDI to audio? In standalone or in a DAW? Just writing a bassline in standalone then exporting it and importing or into a DAW and then adding drums/keys/guitars/et al? Just curious.
I work at Logic producing VI sounds and recording.
But when I mix I convert everything to audio and generate a new project or alternative.
In my mixes there is never MIDI, there is only audio.

In fact, this function already exists in Superior Drummer: Bounce / Export Song as audio files. Awesome software indeed!

Cheers!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Hands down beats any virtual bass I've heard, including MODO and Trilian. Add the included editing tools, songwriting tools and MIDI Grooves on top of that and this software blows everything else out of the water. The bass sound just slides right into a mix. If you're on the fence, I don't see how you might be disappointed. And this is only V1.0....
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decano View Post
I work at Logic producing VI sounds and recording.
But when I mix I convert everything to audio and generate a new project or alternative.
In my mixes there is never MIDI, there is only audio.

In fact, this function already exists in Superior Drummer: Bounce / Export Song as audio files. Awesome software indeed!

Cheers!
I believe Logic has a bounce in place feature so you can render and virtual instrument as an audio file.

I use Cubase 9.5 and work in a similar fashion. I have a template set up with S3 (multi out routed), EZkeys, and EZbass (and some audio tracks). When I'm done with a song and before mixing I use the Cubase batch convert to render all VSTi outputs to audio. Much easier than bouncing in the plugin.

So, you can bounce to audio before mixing, just through Logic.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
This is a pretty cool piece of software for sure. My question involves wanting to send the bass out of my DAW and process it out of the box. Is there a way to change the instrument from stereo to mono?
You can route to a mono bus output on your interface/converter if you need to.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
I believe Logic has a bounce in place feature so you can render and virtual instrument as an audio file.

I use Cubase 9.5 and work in a similar fashion. I have a template set up with S3 (multi out routed), EZkeys, and EZbass (and some audio tracks). When I'm done with a song and before mixing I use the Cubase batch convert to render all VSTi outputs to audio. Much easier than bouncing in the plugin.

So, you can bounce to audio before mixing, just through Logic.
Absolutely! It is the way I usually do it. Perhaps the fact that in EZBass the editor is within the software (as in Superior Drummer), it seems strange to me not to have the option to export the audio without having to bounce in Logic.
For instance, if I need to do a simple bass track in Standalone, at the end, I will need a DAW to bounce and export the track and it involves extra time (save project in Standalone, open DAW, open project in EZBAss, bounce, export). It is not very favorable for a nice workflow job, frankly. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's quite logical to me.

It's funny, a program in which you can convert Audio to Midi, but not Midi to Audio

It's my only complaint. Everything else is perfect in my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely! It is the way I usually do it. Perhaps the fact that in EZBass the editor is within the software (as in Superior Drummer), it seems strange to me not to have the option to export the audio without having to bounce in Logic.
For instance, if I need to do a simple bass track in Standalone, at the end, I will need a DAW to bounce and export the track and it involves extra time (save project in Standalone, open DAW, open project in EZBAss, bounce, export). It is not very favorable for a nice workflow job, frankly. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's quite logical to me.

It's funny, a program in which you can convert Audio to Midi, but not Midi to Audio

It's my only complaint. Everything else is perfect in my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion!
Well yes, it's a feature that will be implemented, just not ready at release date.

There have been a few users really up in arms about the fact that it didn't make it into the 1.0 release but TBH in all the time of testing, not once did I require to bounce in the plugin because I write songs with all the instrument together in the DAW.

I do see that if you're writing everything separately, write drums in S3 standalone, then bounce. The next day write a keyboard part in EZkeys and bounce (praying it works with the drums from the day before). Then write a bass part in EZbass (again, hoping it works with the drums and keyboard). Having bounce to audio would be necessary yes lol.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Liking him so far.

Just got this yesterday and decided to tinker around whilst doing some online work. (the benefits of working from home atm).
Created a short video to a few band mates as a dig to my bass player. I have yet to read the manual so I know I haven't even scratched the surface of this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oor6...ature=youtu.be
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
There have been a few users really up in arms about the fact that it didn't make it into the 1.0 release but TBH in all the time of testing, not once did I require to bounce in the plugin because I write songs with all the instrument together in the DAW.

I do see that if you're writing everything separately, write drums in S3 standalone, then bounce. The next day write a keyboard part in EZkeys and bounce (praying it works with the drums from the day before). Then write a bass part in EZbass (again, hoping it works with the drums and keyboard). Having bounce to audio would be necessary yes lol.
I'm not at war with Toontrack for the reason of Bounce to Audio (although it seems like a basic feature in these times). I love their products indeed! I bought the product, and I find a logical lack. Excuse me, I am not a Beta Tester

Anyway, although I can read your sense of humor between the lines, you have failed in the analysis of that way of producing. It's not about composing Drums, Bass or Keyb separately, but in my work as a producer I often find myself with needs that are not to make a simple 4-instrument song. For this reason I need work tools that offer professional possibilities. You should not underestimate the skills, abilities and knowledge of the users of this forum. There are many users here who are professionally dedicated to music, even if we keep a low profile.
Regards.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not at war with Toontrack for the reason of Bounce to Audio (although it seems like a basic feature in these times). I love their products indeed! I bought the product, and I find a logical lack. Excuse me, I am not a Beta Tester

Anyway, although I can read your sense of humor between the lines, you have failed in the analysis of that way of producing. It's not about composing Drums, Bass or Keyb separately, but in my work as a producer I often find myself with needs that are not to make a simple 4-instrument song. For this reason I need work tools that offer professional possibilities. You should not underestimate the skills, abilities and knowledge of the users of this forum. There are many users here who are professionally dedicated to music, even if we keep a low profile.
Regards.
I'm in no way underestimating anybody. Sorry of my levity seemed that way. I've been on this forum for a long time, which was the reason for my initial question in the first place. I wanted to know users workflows and how bouncing outside of the DAWs capabilities was a required necessity.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
I'm in no way underestimating anybody. Sorry of my levity seemed that way. I've been on this forum for a long time, which was the reason for my initial question in the first place. I wanted to know users workflows and how bouncing outside of the DAWs capabilities was a required necessity.
No problem.
Thanks for your interest!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
So I thought I would start by copying my bass track into ez bass and just try with ez bass sounds add articulations etc. No matter what I do I can’t get the audio file in sync with Logic. It’s a bar and some off and really can’t seem to move the track around without making a midi file, even then it’s to the bar, I can’t seem to nudge it in sync.
Grrrrr
Old 2 days ago
Funny that this just came out.

In the past few weeks, I have started to look for ways to work more independently from real drummers and bassists. I only did pre-production at home, programming the tracks and having them played by actual musicians later on, but wanted to see if I can produce drum and bass tracks all by myself that are good enough to make it on the final record. I am a BAD keyboard player (guitar is my main instrument), so for pre-production, I never played these parts on a MIDI keyboard, but used to program drums and bass the worst way possible, clicking notes into the MIDI editor of Cubase. Of course it sounded sterile, artificial and certainly not good enough to keep it in the final mix.

For drums, I was actually able to get satisfying results by not clicking the notes in anymore, but using the groove library of SSD5.5. Find the right groove, modify it a bit to fit into the song, done.

With bass, I started doing the following: I played the bass lines on my guitar, then used VariAudio in Cubase, to transfer the audio to MIDI notes, modify what I needed - velocities, pitch values, quantize etc. - and then I used the new MIDI track to trigger MODO bass. So it looks like EZBass just does all the things I did in Cubase, plus a few more. The groove library and assigning articulation per note are the ones that look most interesting to me. I might buy it at some point for these features, but I think i am going to keep MODO bass for the additional bass sounds it offers. I am not sure if I can replace models like the Hofner, the Explorer or even all the Precision and Jazz Basses with only the two from EZBass.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You can route to a mono bus output on your interface/converter if you need to.

Simple enough. Thanks for that.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seclusion View Post
So I thought I would start by copying my bass track into ez bass and just try with ez bass sounds add articulations etc. No matter what I do I can’t get the audio file in sync with Logic. It’s a bar and some off and really can’t seem to move the track around without making a midi file, even then it’s to the bar, I can’t seem to nudge it in sync.
Grrrrr
Right now “follow host” only partially works. I think you have to manually set the tempo. I did the same as you and the bass track done by ezbass was way out of time until I manually changed the tempo. Not sure if this helps you but that was my experience.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
I will goof a bit more and try manual tempo, I was following host.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

I play my basslines on my guitar, load them in Ezbass and before I know it I've got a real fat Jazzbass playing the parts. And I can edit them at every level and rout the result as a DI signal through my amp simulations and mixing plugins. It works really well, sounds fabulous and speeds up my workflow like a bullet train. What's not to like?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

The online tutorials for EZBass done by Toontrack are best in class.....and a huge benefit for learning how to get the best out of the software.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
Took some time to leaRN, But easily can move audio around in the grid editor, you can nudge 1/128 which i was able to sync no problem
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
Right now “follow host” only partially works. I think you have to manually set the tempo. I did the same as you and the bass track done by ezbass was way out of time until I manually changed the tempo. Not sure if this helps you but that was my experience.
You might want to submit that to Toontrack. I've never experienced the issue and it sounds like one where they'd appreciate knowing the details of your particular case.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
The online tutorials for EZBass done by Toontrack are best in class.....and a huge benefit for learning how to get the best out of the software.
Hear hear!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Is it setup where you can have the heavy lifting sounds and such on a separate hard-drive and the actual software on the main comp, or is it setup to be one package?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

You can have the "heavy lifting" sound libraries and the MIDI library on a separate or external hard drive.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
You might want to submit that to Toontrack. I've never experienced the issue and it sounds like one where they'd appreciate knowing the details of your particular case.
Already did, I’m on over there, too. They said they’re looking into it.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

So I let GAS get to me, yet again. I bought it and to be honest I'm already regretting it.
Imho the sound is ok at best, but as of right now I am not really that impressed. I'll continue to play around with it, but everything just sounds sub-par. I've listened to a lot of clips so far and I'm not impressed with any of them.
Why did I buy it? bla

Oh GAS, why do you temp me so?!?!?
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic dreamer View Post
So I let GAS get to me, yet again. I bought it and to be honest I'm already regretting it.
Imho the sound is ok at best, but as of right now I am not really that impressed. I'll continue to play around with it, but everything just sounds sub-par. I've listened to a lot of clips so far and I'm not impressed with any of them.
Why did I buy it? bla

I have to be honest, that's somewhat mind-boggling feedback. Put all the midi groove and editing options aside (though that's really the greatest part of this instrument), and you're still left with a great basic bass tone. The only one of the VIs that sits properly in the mix. That said, I do still enhance and mix those standard sounds, same as I would a recorded bass. Eq, comp, maybe the Reddi or Ampeg plugins.

I'd strongly suggest giving it a more in-depth test drive. Though, again, in my opinion it doesn't need any help.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic dreamer View Post
Why did I buy it? bla

Well, I don't think it sounds sub par at all, it just doesn't sound like a Vintage Fender by any means. I ended up using a preset I had on Trillian and it just killed it on a country thing I was doing. For more modern stuff it's probably great.

I've had a LOT of inconsistency with MIDI. I tried recording directly into the plug in but it doesn't seem to erase previous takes, it's like always in midi merge mode, so that doesn't work for me. So I did a part directly into Cubase and then dragged the part into the editor the other day, and added articulations. That was nice.

Today I tried it again on another song, and when I dragged in the midi it transposed it, no matter how I set the Key (which I didn't have to do the other day). It also mysteriously added about 10 of the same notes over and over again at the end of the piece, which was of course not in the midi track in Cubase. So, it's very cool in some ways, but ...
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
You can have the "heavy lifting" sound libraries and the MIDI library on a separate or external hard drive.
Thanks for the remind. I like to keep my sample libraries off my systems drive.

https://www.toontrack.com/faq/can-i-...xternal-drive/
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search