The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance Release AMEK EQ 200
Old 21st May 2020
  #181
Lives for gear
 
Sleazy_Rider's Avatar
 

Cause of the high price people will tend to scrutinise the AMEK more....realise the sound , if any , are small for the outlay and not think it’ anything special...

If it had an decent intro price and people could use a voucher they would buy it regardless for something to play with...

PA have done themselves no favours here....high price....nothing special hyped plugin used as a vehicle to get people to sub...
Old 21st May 2020
  #182
Gear Maniac
 
Durk Diggler's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy_Rider View Post
Cause of the high price people will tend to scrutinise the AMEK more....realise the sound , if any , are small for the outlay and not think it’ anything special...

If it had an decent intro price and people could use a voucher they would buy it regardless for something to play with...

PA have done themselves no favours here....high price....nothing special hyped plugin used as a vehicle to get people to sub...
If it is nothing special, then surely it will be easy to let it go dot dot dot
Old 21st May 2020
  #183
Gear Maniac
 
Durk Diggler's Avatar
 

Amek EQ 200 & Mixing With Mike

https://youtu.be/1He8cwOGxYw
Old 21st May 2020
  #184
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipirones View Post
Sorry for bother you but i love the Amek



Do you have the GML add on for the Sonnox that you could compare it against?

The Weiss is awfully tempting.
Old 21st May 2020
  #185
plx
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Q-clone only captures the spectral response. it does NOT do Harmonics.
in the case of this Amek that's maybe better.
the THD is again a form of clipper, just like previous X PA plugs.
lazy, lazy.

I have no clue how something with 2.5dB difference can have "mastering" written over it.
If i bought a mastering EQ with 2.5dB channel-to-channel difference in gain, i'd return it, or have it serviced. :D

Also, i absolutely have no clue why 18channels of ""TMT"" is necessary for a mastering EQ.
Old 21st May 2020
  #186
Did a shootout between bx_digital3 and Amek. With same settings they sounded very similar. The Amek just seemed a little hazy/unfocused. In the end the bx worked better (over the 2bus to clean up some mids and add a touch of highs).

Tried also the Chandler since it was rumoured it will be on sale. Didn't do as good of a job as cleaning but it did add some character that I think would be worth having around.

My issue with the 200 is that it's not clean enough for trandparent duties and at the same time the colour isn't something I'm sure I'd want on much material either. For a clean mastering EQ the older digital3 still looks like it will be better choice. For colour I can use Manley, or EQ1 (once it's on sale).
Old 21st May 2020
  #187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
did a bunch of blind tests between this and curve bender, tried matching the eq curves as much as possible using SPAN and white noise cos curve bender crashes plugindoctor (tried every plug-in format, I have the latest version of everything)

so far I've picked amek 200 over curve bender like 9 out of 10 times

I think I am giving curve bender a bit of an advantage since I am eqing with it first and then matching with amek 200, I also kind of wanted curve bender to win because it just looks awesome and it's going on sale in a couple days

also something to note, when I was doing null tests I found that the mono maker in amek 200 (which is on by default) affects the sound even at it's default setting of 20hz so one might want to turn that off for a better comparison
Just turning the Chander on has a nice softening effect while tightening up the transients.

Not hearing much colour on the 200 when turned on.
Old 21st May 2020
  #188
Gear Head
 
Chipirones's Avatar
 

why do i love this equalizer?
volume 2


Old 21st May 2020
  #189
Gear Head
 
Chipirones's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinacake View Post
Do you have the GML add on for the Sonnox that you could compare it against?

The Weiss is awfully tempting.
My god guys, the video is not mine, if it was mine I would say it

but I put it because I love what I hear there. Peace
Old 21st May 2020
  #190
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipirones View Post
My god guys, the video is not mine, if it was mine I would say it

but I put it because I love what I hear there. Peace
We believe that you believe it.
Old 21st May 2020
  #191
Gear Head
 
Chipirones's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
We believe that you believe it.
I love you
Old 21st May 2020
  #192
Gear Head
 
Chipirones's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy_Rider View Post
I dont see the crazy deal on the AMEK you say in the video?

From your video and watching you with the Oxford EQ...

I'll wait until the AMEK is 29 bucks with a voucher...Thanks!
same, but I go further than you Mr Sleazy. i´m going to buy when 39 with my super 25 voucher
Old 21st May 2020
  #193
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I saw someone mention this and the IK 432 and that got me super interested even more.
I finally tested this against that IK plugin and this a no 432! Not even close.

The IK 432 has this sound with just running things through and it sounds great.
Not sure the EQ curve or what's it's doing. To me, it does something to correct what ever you did and add after that.

It's just too dam hard on my current cpu. 10% 12% on mine right now. Upgrading computer next week, can't wait.

Anyway, this EQ is OK but to me, nothing special so far.

Marc
Hope you got a cpu with a real high single core score along with a lot of cores, you’re gonna be floored with what it can do at 88/96 and think you’re in some parallel universe if you keep things at 48 lol

If you got something as good as a Ryzen 1700 overclocked to 3.6, you’re in good shape. I use the scores at cpu.userbenchmark.com

UAD unison and console makes recording much easier and they have some really brilliant stuff. Capitol Chambers is probably a must-have. It can definitely help you if your native cpu power runs low.

I’ve been comparing the IK432 against Scarlet4 in preparation for this PA release. Never really used Sontec-based stuff before. What you said about it is spot on. I was just doing simple stuff with it. Boost 1-3 at 100hz cut 1 at 470 or whatever that 400 frequency is and boost 1-3 at the 7 or 8k frequency. Sometimes I’d play around with the Q values on Scarlet and the 5 and 6 numbers on IK. I’d almost always use the filters on both to move things down one notch each.

Results were hard to tell apart between the IK and Scarlet. Also got similar results trying to match it with Dangerous Bax, Nseq, VSE-2, and Tube Tech MK2. Scarlet would be cool to have, but I feel it can wait until they have another one of those 70% off sales. But I wouldn’t be surprised if AA ran a flash sale on it if they wanted to pick up people who were disappointed with this Amek.

Looks like I don’t even need to try this out. Maybe if it were $50. Even then, Acustica always has some plugin or plugin suite on sale for a little more than that. Waves has their blowout sales as usual too. If this eq is really this bad, sounds like the other PA offerings that go for $25 are a better investment. For $350, these plugins have to be absolute game-changers.
Old 21st May 2020
  #194
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I know right. Hey, I almost bought Studio One too. LOL

I love Pro Tools 11HD man. I was getting more out of it than I was with the Pro Tools 10HD so, I decided to upgrade my 4 core to 12 core. I'm also thinking about either Waves Digigrid, UAD or Antelope if I feel I need more power which I don't think I do but for the low Mic Latency.

Marc

Studio one ? man you know my heart is fragile !!!

As for DSP , i would GO UAD if i really need dsp^(UAD, half of the stuff are there in native) simply because of consistant quality , maintenance AND DRIVERS .

Antelope (stories around the software side aren't encouraging , for me it's not quite mature and stable but i migt be wrong)

As for waves , if more plugin dev would have embraced it it would be great , but i dodn't even know if PA still does it .... sonnox if i recall well still ... notice i did my research and digigrid has a fan
Old 21st May 2020
  #195
Lives for gear
 
Ruudman's Avatar
 

I like this eq, especially the workflow. Been using it on instrument buses, easy to make good decisions.
Old 21st May 2020
  #196
Lives for gear
 
Sleazy_Rider's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman View Post
I like this eq, especially the workflow. Been using it on instrument buses, easy to make good decisions.
It’s good you are posting positive vibes in this thread as Dirk has now banned anyone from being negative about the AMEK on his Facebook Audiophiles group...

He’s changed the name to Plugin Alliance POSITIVE Audiophiles and Fans
Old 21st May 2020
  #197
Gear Addict
 
Robb Robinson's Avatar
 

The only thing to be negative about is the price in relation to other EQs that sound equally good at a lower price.

The sound is solid and totally capable of delivering insanely good sounding masters. This EQ respects the music and that's the most critical thing IMO.

Does it sound like a Sontec? No. GML? Maybe a little?

btw I once talked to Burgess about endorsing a plugin EQ when he was building my 432, and he said with his very unique voice:

"hahaha no no no, these guys ... hahaha they call me often...."

Even though he doesn't think its possible, I have to say that the 'pre' from Scarlett Classic is very Sontec sounding on the right material. Use the Scarlet 4 curves with the classic Pre (two different plugins) and you're darn close.
Old 21st May 2020
  #198
plx
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy_Rider View Post
It’s good you are posting positive vibes in this thread as Dirk has now banned anyone from being negative about the AMEK on his Facebook Audiophiles group...

He’s changed the name to Plugin Alliance POSITIVE Audiophiles and Fans

He also sent all the haters here. :D

it's hilarious. He already deleted a few of my comments
Attached Thumbnails
Plugin Alliance Release AMEK EQ 200-img_7244.jpg   Plugin Alliance Release AMEK EQ 200-img_7245.png  
Old 21st May 2020
  #199
plx
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post

The sound is solid and totally capable of delivering insanely good sounding masters. This EQ respects the music and that's the most critical thing IMO.
you know i can say that about Logic's Channel EQ.
except it costs less to buy Logic's Channel EQ with whole DAW and 80GB of content included than this thing.

I demoed it, I can't see anything special with it. It doesn't alias, which is a pleasant surprise from PA, but THD imo is garbaggio
Old 21st May 2020
  #200
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
If it is nothing special, then surely it will be easy to let it go dot dot dot
The only reason to complain about the price is if you really like and want it but can’t afford it. Otherwise you’d just move on with your life.

I’m glad they’re filtering the official PA Facebook group. I have no interest in reading pages and pages of people whining about pricing. That’s not what the group is for and quite frankly there’s enough of that here. (Repeatedly over and over and over by the same handful of people who clearly have an axe to grind)
Old 21st May 2020
  #201
plx
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Farmer View Post
The only reason to complain about the price is if you really like and want it but can’t afford it. Otherwise you’d just move on with your life.

I’m glad they’re filtering the official PA Facebook group. I have no interest in reading pages and pages of people whining about pricing. That’s not what the group is for and quite frankly there’s enough of that here. (Repeatedly over and over and over by the same handful of people who clearly have an axe to grind)
Old 21st May 2020
  #202
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Farmer View Post
handful of people who clearly have an axe to grind)
And yet you are here, reading and commenting.
Old 21st May 2020
  #203
Lives for gear
 
M Albazy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
Amek EQ 200 & Mixing With Mike

https://youtu.be/1He8cwOGxYw
Again he's talking about a plugin like if it was real hardware!
Old 21st May 2020
  #204
Gear Maniac
 
Durk Diggler's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
Again he's talking about a plugin like if it was real hardware!
It is indeed a plugin.
Old 21st May 2020
  #205
Lives for gear
 
M Albazy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
in the case of this Amek that's maybe better.
the THD is again a form of clipper, just like previous X PA plugs.
lazy, lazy.

I have no clue how something with 2.5dB difference can have "mastering" written over it.
If i bought a mastering EQ with 2.5dB channel-to-channel difference in gain, i'd return it, or have it serviced. :D

Also, i absolutely have no clue why 18channels of ""TMT"" is necessary for a mastering EQ.
that's true the THD in all bx_ just a soft clipper, that's why I tend to keep it below -60 for a -18 FS input, so it barely adding a 3rd without being too obvious.
Old 21st May 2020
  #206
Lives for gear
 
M Albazy's Avatar
BTW the TMT in this plugin is the best .. I mean it's doing just a little bit of a variation, unlike the consoles and other comps and EQs where the TMT doing A LOT like if there's something needs maintenance
Old 21st May 2020
  #207
Lives for gear
 
M Albazy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeens View Post
Did a shootout between bx_digital3 and Amek. With same settings they sounded very similar. The Amek just seemed a little hazy/unfocused. In the end the bx worked better (over the 2bus to clean up some mids and add a touch of highs).

Tried also the Chandler since it was rumoured it will be on sale. Didn't do as good of a job as cleaning but it did add some character that I think would be worth having around.
Agree, I also got similar results with the bx_digital3 being a bit forward and tiny better transients hit.

the Chandler CB is just a bus colouring EQ, never transparent, never surgical. But does wonderfully in that regard for either acoustical or electronic music.
Old 21st May 2020
  #208
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
Agree, I also got similar results with the bx_digital3 being a bit forward and tiny better transients hit.

the Chandler CB is just a bus colouring EQ, never transparent, never surgical. But does wonderfully in that regard for either acoustical or electronic music.
I tried bx3 and Amek in Plugin Doctor and setting Amek to 4.0 q and bx3 to 5.0 the mid range curves look to match exactly.
Old 21st May 2020
  #209
plx
Gear Maniac
 

I mean bx_digital is a good EQ, but charging 399$+VAT for a reskin and a clipper is a bit much
Old 21st May 2020
  #210
Lives for gear
 
M Albazy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post

He also sent all the haters here. :D

it's hilarious. He already deleted a few of my comments
He wants only the people who get WOW'ed on everything and know nothing about what's happening inside the plugin.

Copy the bx_digital3 algo, change the GUI and add a soft clipper and TMT and bring a known engineer to endorse the plugin .. and let the wannabe of his FB group to hype it up and tells everyone they know that they own a GML Master EQ now.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump