The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance Release AMEK EQ 200
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
For colour/mojo EQ I really like the Softube Chandler Curve Bender .. it does have the soul and colour of the hardware.
Will be my next purchase this upcoming weekend. A great alternative, also pricewise, is the BlackQ from ToneEmpire.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think this is the new trend with PA .. high intro prices and no heavy hitter special offer to push you into the subscription.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I remember always using the GML-8200 after the SSL bus compressor.
Sound of the 90's & 2k. Plugin looks great.
I'm waiting. Something else is coming and will be amazing in this era/genre. Sorry can't say but I can almost guarantee it will be a better price than this. LOL.

Marc
I think I know what you are referring to and I have been waiting for it too. I am assuming you can't elaborate because you are beta testing. At least it's good to know it is still in the works, after this long radio silence.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Don't consider this a "price rant" but, instead, a word from the wise: Nothing PA puts out is worth 300 bucks. As someone who used to pay near full price in the early bx days, they have a hard time extracting even 25 bucks from me at this point. Not because I hate subs or Dirk or their changed transfer policy, but just because their stuff is generally in the mid-grade tier. To me, everything in their catalog is worth 50 or less because it just doesn't get that much use. Black Box and Lindell 80 I wouldn't be mad about paying a little extra for, and I got mileage out of VSM-3 back when it was one of the only good bass saturators around - but the rest of their stuff just doesn't sound as good as the plugs I do choose to pay extra for.

If someone really needs this Amek, I would absolutely go sub so you can just wipe your hands of it when something better beats it in price.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

$400 + VAT for an average EQ plugin, haha, good luck...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayt0n View Post
And this is exactly how you force everyone to sub....first he announces that it will only be availible on the subscription, then he has to retract that because he got killed with emails/messages of people who buy stuff and dont subscribe!!! Then you send an email telling everyone you will sell it finally but it wont be cheap, but make this your most expensive plugin ever to be released! Great plan Dirk. I think your hanging around Steven too much!! He must have talked to you about how to get everyone to sub instead of buying! Increase your plugin prices 400% more then what you used to sell plugins at, never have sales anymore, make vouchers ahve a minimum purchase price, make liceses have a transfer fee, and that should about get everyone to sub! Shame on you!!
They are making a lot of drama about their prices, to be sure. That made me always feel rather suspicious of this company. If anything, it made me buy less of their stuff. I got everything by Lindell because I like his sound, and I got only SSL 4kE for 25$ from Bx for sentimental reasons. Now I just ignore the voucher emails because I don't feel I need anything else from them. And to think I was considering paying some hundred $ for several of their plugins in the beggining, because of all the hype. But their aggressive marketing put me off in the end.
This could have been an interesting release, but the price is a joke and a subscription is out of the question.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I think this is the new trend with PA .. high intro prices and no heavy hitter special offer to push you into the subscription.
Yeah, and it's not going to happen here, there are plenty of great non-subscription alternatives.

They'll become Waves with permanent $29 sales in no time...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I am disappointed with this release... Is this something like the IK Master EQ 432... It is not usable like Blue,Weiss,Equilibrium..and has not enough color like Curvebender... Is it an average Eq Plugin for a damm high price. I don´t know, but after testing, i cannot find any use for it, cause i prefer other eqs... There is no feature in this plugin, which let me say... Wow i need it...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Yet another fancy GUI slapped on the same underlying tech as everything else. I do think TMT was pretty innovative tech from PA but that shouldn't really apply to a mastering EQ. I tried it out and this sounds fine but doesn't come anywhere close to dethroning DMG Equilibrium in mastering settings IMO.
Old 2 weeks ago
I'm so glad I have a PA subscription, totally worth it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I demoed the Amek after i liked the sound examples. But demoing didn't give me same impressions. Compared also to Weiss. Can't touch the Weiss imho. Weiss has this natural smooth and finished sound i really love
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tried it on the 2buss on a mix real quick and to me it sounded killer. I’ll test it some more but won’t buy at them current price.

Nice features too.

To me the bx3 sounds sterile and boring so I guess my ears are not following the trend so far ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsWilsonian View Post
, and I got mileage out of VSM-3 back when it was one of the only good bass saturators around - but the rest of their stuff just doesn't sound as good as the plugs I do choose to pay extra for.
I wonder what do you think is better now?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyosha View Post
I wonder what do you think is better now?
I won't go out and say "better" necessarily, but I have a lot of colors in the palette now - Fuse 562a & 2c, Kush TWK, Newfangled Saturate, Voxengo Powershaper, Softube strips (4k and American), and even some of the newer Waves saturators (Abbey Road, MDMX) can get me where I want. I would mainly argue that I have too many now haha.

My point was just cautionary for the newbies that think they need to have whatever PA is pushing at the moment. There's many alternatives for a lot less, and even PA will drop this price to somewhere between 25-50 by year's end if I had to guess.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasso View Post
Tried it on the 2buss on a mix real quick and to me it sounded killer. I’ll test it some more but won’t buy at them current price.

Nice features too.

To me the bx3 sounds sterile and boring so I guess my ears are not following the trend so far ?
Match them then do a blind test
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.simmons View Post
Political statements are CLEARLY against the forum rules.
Maybe what you read was deleted before I got to it, but I’d classify what I’ve read as laughably bad attempts at theorizing political economy.

Political statements are certainly tolerated here as long as they pertain to gear, so “Boycott plugs that use iLok”, “...channel strips with bad metering” are subject to no more than futile “whining”.

The issue is subject matter. By the site’s own admission, COVID gets a subforum so “it can be more easily ignored” and not interfere with slutzing about gear.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have zero doubts that the intro pricing is used as a funnel for subscription capture... but, in a few months it’ll be on sale for a “normal” price point

That being said, I’d have no problems steering “newbies” towards using only subscription devs (with cancellation policies)... what better way to see what works for you when you have a ton of quality tools in the shed?

As far as quality of PA stuff... I think it’s convenient to confuse pricing strategies with quality. PA/BX stuff (not every single plugin) is great stuff... and it’s certainly a lot easier to write off subscription plans than software purchases come tax time
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
V-Gain is just a plain noise generator with a knob to control the level.
The noise with VGain is pretty bad for a master bus plug. Fortunately it can be turned off but seems totally unnecessary to me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
The noise with VGain is pretty bad for a master bus plug. Fortunately it can be turned off but seems totally unnecessary to me.
Yeah can confirm that V-Gain just seems to increase the noise floor and differences between left and right.this TMT stuff really needs to die i mean there is no way on this planet that they didn't get the differences between the left and right channels to an almost imperceptible amount on a mastering EQ build.the Manley MP uses tubes and transformers and still the difference between left and right borders on the subtle.

As for the plugin,i'm pretty vocal about my dislike of Brainworx and their modelling.i wont say its snakeoil,but they are not as good as people make them out to be and this is no different.this is weirdly soft sounding EQ for something that belongs on a master channel.never heard a Sontec,but i've rented other fancy solid state EQ's(one of em might have been GML.was a while ago) before and they cut like diamonds.transients just snap with engaging the things.it kind of reminds of what i linear phase sounds like ITB but it's still not linear phase.anyways this doesn't exhibit any of this.i haven't bothered to look in PD but i'm betting the phase is all screwy which might explain why this thing sounds so soft
Old 2 weeks ago
One property of my HDE250 (and I think I've seen this in other plugins that do 250/8200 curves) us that on wider settings it looks like it's lifting a lot of the rest of the signal around the ends of the curve (maybe to reduce phase shift). So you get an overall volume boost, not just at the direct freq range.

If you do a +6db boost on the Amek at an 8k shelf (full counter clockwise) you'll hear a huge volume increase compared to say bx_digital3 on the same setting (which I just compared to).

This might be what people are hearing sounds so good (the Maag is similar as it also raised up the overall level on certain settings).

When I compared a tight mid range boost on Bx_digital3 and the new 200 the difference was negligible (I don't think the overall gain boost happens on those types of settings).

I then tried constructing a wider shelf using two bands on bx3 and got close to the 200 shelf. I didn't really hear any qualitative difference between them though (other than the 200 maybe being a touch softer).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Well nobody seems to like this one so I'll keep playing with saturn 2 and supermassive. Give me a call whens it's $50.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_K View Post
Well nobody seems to like this one so I'll keep playing with saturn 2 and supermassive. Give me a call whens it's $50.
I'm debating if I'd even pay that If you had no other Eq's it would be worth it though.

I'd actually rather use bx3 for mastering at least from what I've heard so far.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Tested it briefly against the Weiss EQ1. It's an ok EQ, didn't seem too special, the lower part of the spectrum cuts seemed lovely. To me it has a signature Brainworx sound which I don't particularly like too much. The whole analog TMT v-gain thing just seemed to slightly remove focus and add some very soft saturation that didn't do any huge impact.

It's not as precise as Weiss and it doesn't sing like some AA's vibey processors. Just overall not that special.

It's a nice product, very useable, it has low CPU usage and no latency, it's just not on a level of Maat, Weiss or Equilibrium. Being PA I'd price it at 100$ tops.

There's nothing extreme or interesting about it, no interesting idea, it's just another eq. Just my impression after an hour of testing though.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Tried it on two songs. Really wanted to like it. Trialing Weiss atm and own Scarlett4 and could get the color / “feeling” with the Scarlett but it didn’t touch the Weiss. Which sucks cause I have to buy the Weiss.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
For colour/mojo EQ I really like the Softube Chandler Curve Bender .. it does have the soul and colour of the hardware.
Yeah I love the Curve Bender / Zener Limiter too. Pricey though (if the complaints here are about price). I liked the CB more than the UAD Manley when I was testing. How do people find the Weiss?

Sounds like some other better options for the price right now - which is a fair critique (unlike "wahhh I wish this was $10").
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone wanting an analogue sounding EQ with a simple interface like this should check out Magpha EQ by Balance Mastering. It's fantastic and beats this hands down.

You can also use Equilibrium in dial only mode, with no analyser or graph.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
Yeah I love the Curve Bender / Zener Limiter too. Pricey though (if the complaints here are about price). I liked the CB more than the UAD Manley when I was testing. How do people find the Weiss?

Sounds like some other better options for the price right now - which is a fair critique (unlike "wahhh I wish this was $10").
I wouldn't justify the need of the Amek, I just tried it. ( the lo and high cut feel really good though).

Yet I tried their TE-100 EQ, a few days ago because it was on sale and sort of loved it. colored bus comp, drums, 1k magic on guitars and so on.

loved it, put it aside and just missed the sale! oh well next time. but it sure it something special.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I was really hoping for and expecting more from this. Still early and as a subscriber not a huge deal for me.

For those being asked to pay the full boat all I can say is NO WAY.

The whole TMT thing is starting to seem a bit hinky to me in general as well. I the case of this plugin beware of what it is doing while evaluating this.

Maybe the plug @ Bose mentioned and MAYBE Rune @ tone Projects can come up with an EQ to match Unisum

Yep I said it...

Stay healthy folks and enjoy all the great tool available these day's.

G
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayt0n View Post
And this is exactly how you force everyone to sub....first he announces that it will only be availible on the subscription, then he has to retract that because he got killed with emails/messages of people who buy stuff and dont subscribe!!! Then you send an email telling everyone you will sell it finally but it wont be cheap, but make this your most expensive plugin ever to be released! Great plan Dirk. I think your hanging around Steven too much!! He must have talked to you about how to get everyone to sub instead of buying! Increase your plugin prices 400% more then what you used to sell plugins at, never have sales anymore, make vouchers ahve a minimum purchase price, make liceses have a transfer fee, and that should about get everyone to sub! Shame on you!!
It won't get me to subscribe. You don't HAVE to you know. It's just another eq!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyosha View Post
Tested it briefly against the Weiss EQ1. It's an ok EQ, didn't seem too special, the lower part of the spectrum cuts seemed lovely. To me it has a signature Brainworx sound which I don't particularly like too much. The whole analog TMT v-gain thing just seemed to slightly remove focus and add some very soft saturation that didn't do any huge impact.

It's not as precise as Weiss and it doesn't sing like some AA's vibey processors. Just overall not that special.

It's a nice product, very useable, it has low CPU usage and no latency, it's just not on a level of Maat, Weiss or Equilibrium. Being PA I'd price it at 100$ tops.

There's nothing extreme or interesting about it, no interesting idea, it's just another eq. Just my impression after an hour of testing though.
100% agree!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search