The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance Release AMEK EQ 200
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Could you name a software EQ which has hardware abilities?

Plugin Alliance has a big sale right now. What is with the other Amek EQ, the bx_2098, modeled after the Amek 2098, or the Passeq? or the NSEQ-2. Is one of them worth the 49 bucks?
Hey buddy,

so, let me offer you a great advice on a plugin EQ that is closest to hardware if that's what you're after. Go to maat.digital and pick for starters their cheapest EQ, SantaCruz. You WILL NOT regret it! It is amazing. SantaCruz has 3 older, bigger brothers - Orange, Blue and Red.

And while you're asking question about AMEK 1098 or PassEQ. Go to PA web site. It's a power sale that lasts two more days. Both of those EQs are good. Each in it's own applications. PassEQ is more like "Pultec" because of it's freq. points and behaviour. It is NOT a Pultec per se but close to simply explain it. 2098 has a different flavor and since you can get them cheap at the moment, why not have them in your arsenal?!

But let me go back to MAAT and their EQs. Ghose EQs are top-tier quality plugins. Almost like a real deal analogue counterparts. My SantaCruz is amazing. You MUST try them out. The team behind MAAT Digital is fantastic so I am pretty sure you will be covered on all sides with MAAT's digital audio plugins. And while you're there pick up probably the best metering plugin, a DR Meter MK2. Worth every cent.

Krešo
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

cool a maat advertising influencer? post...

Maat offers great eqs... but they are designed to be digital Eqs... So no analog modeling or something like that...
This 3 Eqs are nothing more than the Algorithmix Eqs, brought into the modern DAW World...
They are really great...especially theOrange...the perferct linear phase EQ...but now with the Weiss EQ1, there is good competition...
The thing with theBlue is... It is designed to copy curves of analog Eqs, but there is no analog modeling, which means no emulation of the analog components...but this important if you want to emulate an analog EQ like massive passive or curve bender and so on... theBlue or SantaCruz is a very transparent sounding eq with the curves of analog eqs... And it sounds amazing, but you cannot compare with other plugins, which try to emulate a hardware unit from the imput to the output stage...
Maat is great... theRed has to much latency... i think theBlue is the perfect track EQ... I love it...
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Got recommend this on YT. Worth a post to remember that the differences between EQs without saturation etc can be subtle.

https://youtu.be/tm04DMexFDk
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlogicUser View Post
And it sounds amazing, but you cannot compare with other plugins, which try to emulate a hardware unit from the imput to the output stage..
Why not? I know a talented engineer who uses Blue's Proportional 1 right besides his real 1081s and in a full mix there isn't much missing between them. And if you are missing the tone, then this is where nebula's & acqua's shine - for the boxtone more so than the curves IMO.

The problem I find with emulator plugins that try to match 1) the curves, 2) the phase and 3) the tone of analog hardware is that they rarely do all three well, so you might as well get your tone elsewhere and find a plugin like Blue that beautifully nails the phase and curves. My 2cents at least.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
Why not? I know a talented engineer who uses Blue's Proportional 1 right besides his real 1081s and in a full mix there isn't much missing between them. And if you are missing the tone, then IMO this is where nebula's & acqua's really shine - for the boxtone more so than the curves.

The problem I find with emulator plugins that try to match 1) the curves, 2) the phase and 3) the tone of analog hardware is that they rarely do all three well, so you might as well get your tone elsewhere and find a plugin like Blue that beautifully nails the phase and curves. My 2cents at least.
It's not a bad idea indeed, good point !
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlogicUser View Post
cool a maat advertising influencer? post...

Maat offers great eqs... but they are designed to be digital Eqs... So no analog modeling or something like that...
Yeah! I simply LOVE all MAATs tools! Thou I am NOT on their payroll, not their advertising influencer, not being paid for. And I am paying all my plugins I have.

Just to get back to you on this "no analog modeling". Yes, I know. I just said to @ nic htuntun that these plugins are sooooo close to expensive and quality hardware and I stand by that all the way. There is also GMWorks but since I don't run those plugins I couldn't say anything about them. Only thing I can say is what I hear from others. UI is silly small and would really benefit from re-work. As far as sound goes I only hear superlatives.

So, there's also huge sale on Sonnox Oxford plugins and they have a few gems worth having in each of our own arsenals. They have both EQ and DynEQ which is what @ nic htuntun is really interested in! ;-)

Stay safe all!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
Hey buddy,

so, let me offer you a great advice on a plugin EQ that is closest to hardware if that's what you're after. Go to maat.digital and pick for starters their cheapest EQ, SantaCruz. You WILL NOT regret it! It is amazing. SantaCruz has 3 older, bigger brothers - Orange, Blue and Red.

And while you're asking question about AMEK 1098 or PassEQ. Go to PA web site. It's a power sale that lasts two more days. Both of those EQs are good. Each in it's own applications. PassEQ is more like "Pultec" because of it's freq. points and behaviour. It is NOT a Pultec per se but close to simply explain it. 2098 has a different flavor and since you can get them cheap at the moment, why not have them in your arsenal?!

But let me go back to MAAT and their EQs. Ghose EQs are top-tier quality plugins. Almost like a real deal analogue counterparts. My SantaCruz is amazing. You MUST try them out. The team behind MAAT Digital is fantastic so I am pretty sure you will be covered on all sides with MAAT's digital audio plugins. And while you're there pick up probably the best metering plugin, a DR Meter MK2. Worth every cent.

Krešo
Thanks. I appreciate your help. But having already Q3, Equilibrium and CraveEQ, and disliking MAATs strategic philosophy, I think I'll pass on their products.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Thanks. I appreciate your help. But having already Q3, Equilibrium and CraveEQ, and disliking MAATs strategic philosophy, I think I'll pass on their products.
you can also get lkjb's free QRange and theOrange (trial) and see how they behave on similar settings when you set them to phase cancel each other in addition one of them cramps
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraByte View Post
you can also get lkjb's free QRange and theOrange (trial) and see how they behave on similar settings when you set them to phase cancel each other in addition one of them cramps
Do they?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Plugins are literally 1% of my sound so i cant imagine wading thru new product alert looking for the new best plugin on the market . Ive had plenty of mixes using Waves selected over other submissions from mix engineers who were using the latest, greatest, on the cutting edge plugins. If im looking to up my game, spending 400-500$ on a plugin will rarely do anything noticeable for the listener.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by producer 7 View Post
If im looking to up my game, spending 400-500$ on a plugin will rarely do anything noticeable for the listener.
Yes its the ninja not the sword, but as your skills grow the more you're able to appreciate what a better sword can do. Dont hold yourself back by sticking the same sword you used back when you started. Try MAAT Blue. Thank me later.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
Yes its the ninja not the sword, but as your skills grow the more you're able to appreciate what a better sword can do. Dont hold yourself back by sticking the same sword you used back when you started. Try MAAT Blue. Thank me later.
Im sure it IS great brother. Dont doubt it a bit, but of all the things you can do to improve your mixes, "upgrading" software is going to add the least value.

Literally EVERYTHING else will make more difference....and of course all things are relative, so an example in terms of relativity, upgrading from a cheap guitar amp to a top of the line guitar amp has the potential to impact your sound greatly, upgrading from Neumans cheapest mic to their best mic has the potential to impact your sound greatly, cheap cymbals to high end cymbals, massive advancement...freeware EQ to the "best" on the market? VERY small improvement, and who uses freeware?

This is just something to keep in mind (especially for me) for those who feel like the grass is greener. Esp when you start talking a 4-$500 price tag.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by producer 7 View Post
Literally EVERYTHING else will make more difference....
Than upgrading an EQ? I think this is relative to the individual and what they are trying to improve upon. We all have different priorities.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraByte View Post
It´s always the same when it comes to hi-end expensive stuff, hardware or software.
Some people will argue why it´s not worth the price, others just use it.

The great thing is: if you don´t need it, you just don´t need it .
Old 16 hours ago
Lives for gear

Back to Amek. It’s a wonderful EQ. Really wonderful. Very unobtrusive unlike so many other modeled eqs. I guess sort of like a GML or Sontec!!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear