The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance Release AMEK EQ 200
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by casiotone View Post

An btw, the gui is not resizable and its very dark, hard to read on a big screen.
Yes there is. It was the first thing I have checked. You can find it right next to the bypass button. You can enlarge it up to 150%
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeens View Post
Also compared to the Orange MAAT, that one is much closer to the HD250 to me if you want that kind of clean but smooth mastering EQ sound than the Amek (just a bit clinical sounding, plus it's LP so not the same topology)
Yeah i know, that's why i started with the Blue first.
Red is probably a better comparison for the HD250

Anyway, for me this one falls for: one more eq with fancy graphics. Getting more and more cynical with graphic based plugins...
Old 2 weeks ago
I have mastered a couple of tracks this morning with the Amek.
It will take longer to form some concrete opinions about this plugin, but as first impressions (wfiw) read along:

It didn't make me go WOW, but there are a couple of things I liked.
The bottom end band is very useful but somehow colorful.
Compared to the weiss, I didn't like the top end. Compared to the EQ1,
the top end of the Amek it is harsher and edgier.

The mids are nice but again, they colour (if you can say that on a digital EQ) a tad too much (which at times can be a good thing).

I have found the THD and V-Gain a bit of a gimmick (at least of the program material I have mastered this morning) and the usual mono/stereo a nice addition however not really needed. In blind tests I have always spotted when the THD was on (so it defo doing something) but the V-Gain thingy (even after reading the manual) didn't do anything

I can see this EQ to be a very useful EQ for subgroups in mixing or a good "mojo" second EQ for mastering (if such a thing even exists in digital EQ), but I would not use it as a primary EQ if I went all ITB.

My humble 2cs
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Mastering View Post
Yes there is. It was the first thing I have checked. You can find it right next to the bypass button. You can enlarge it up to 150%
My bad, will correct the post. thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
$419 sans voucher in cart (UK VAT). Time to test vs Weiss and DMG...
which voucher did you use to make it $149?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
It will take longer to form some concrete opinions about this plugin, but as first impressions (wfiw) read along:

The mids are nice but again, they colour (if you can say that on a digital EQ) a tad too much (which at times can be a good thing).

I have found the THD and V-Gain a bit of a gimmick (at least of the program material I have mastered this morning) and the usual mono/stereo a nice addition however not really needed. In blind tests I have always spotthed when the THD was on (so it defo doing something) but the V-Gain thingy (even after reading the manual) didn't do anything

I can see this EQ to be a very useful EQ for subgroups in mixing or a good "mojo" second EQ for mastering (if such a thing even exists in digital EQ), but I would not use it as a primary EQ if I went all ITB.

My humble 2cs
I agree with all this, and always found those addictions gimmicky (thd is useful for individual channels).

My point is that this is super hyped as a mastering eq with a matching price tag.

Since this is the price tag, they are actually competing with MAAT Blue / Orange and Softube Weiss, not with lower competition, and it's not even the same league.

I found the subscription thing / price / marketing on this one particularly distasteful.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I listened to the examples on the PA homepage with Sennheiser HD650 and I didn´t like the sharpness of the high bands either with none of their tracks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Guess no one has used the hardware as it doesn't exist other than the one unit?
Is there an actual hardware unit? I got the impression that it’s a GML 8200/SONTEC inspired plugin with the Amek name.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Is there an actual hardware unit? I got the impression that it’s a GML 8200/SONTEC inspired plugin with the Amek name.
You're right. I thought Dirk had a custom 8200/250 clone by them but makes sense as doubt Amek would do a one off.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
which voucher did you use to make it $149?
$419 (inc. VAT), no voucher. Although I did get an email for $299 (which still needs 20% VAT added due to being in the UK).

I'll be passing on this one also.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This is the kind of Plugin that will be a 1st choice once there is a "get any plugin for super cheap price" offer (once it's not excluded from the offer) but until then I can live perfectly without an additional EQ plugin (how many do I have already? 20?)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

<modsnip - no politics please>
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're right. I thought Dirk had a custom 8200/250 clone by them but makes sense as doubt Amek would do a one off.
I agree, and I think that they’d advertise if it was modeled after a one-off hardware unit (like Phil’s Cascade).

Not that it matters of course, but I’m kind of curious why they put the Amek on it. Maybe to differentiate it from bx_digital?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I think since Dirk bought Amek, he can do whatever he wants with the name now and decided to do a mashup between two of his favorites HW EQs. Knowing Dirk (he's my neighbor here in Orange County) Im sure there's a more colorful story than that, and when he returns to the states I'll ask.

Whats confusing is that while Burgess Macneal and George Massenburg both co-invented the parametric EQ (under ITI Audio), once they split up and formed Sontec and GML, their ensuing EQs did not sound much alike.

So is this Amek 200 more like a Sontec or an 8200? They sound very different to me and im not sure I'd find their love child very attractive.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
... Although I did get an email for $299 (which still needs 20% VAT added due to being in the UK).

Yea, offer is $ 299 with the code.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

<modsnip - no politics please>
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

On the first impression, I did a quick comparison between this and MAAT Blue, EQuilibrium, bx_digital and Weiss EQ1 .. the Amek 200 didn't make it, compared to them sounded thinner in the low-end and kinda cold/vibe-less in the mids and top-end.

However, I managed to get it super super (I mean it) close to the PA bx_digital v3 .. like the difference is not even worth a mention. Cool GUI but I remember they said it'll be a step-up and a gamechanger in the modelled EQ market!!! complete b*llsh*t , sorry!

Is it worth the asking price? Hmmm, IMO no, nothing new here and other EQs like the inexpensive bx_digital (during sales $30) can provide dead close results and the EQuilibrium sounds miles better.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:

My humble 2cs
The one thing I did like about it was the low end too. The hazyness I heard on the top seemed to work better in the lows if you want a girthier type of boost.

I intended to master a few things with it but took it off in the end.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Every morning an engineer wakes up knowing that another engineer will complain about plugin prices on Gearslutz.

cheers,
Lox
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have found the THD and V-Gain a bit of a gimmick (at least of the program material I have mastered this morning) and the usual mono/stereo a nice addition however not really needed. In blind tests I have always spotted when the THD was on (so it defo doing something) but the V-Gain thingy (even after reading the manual) didn't do anything
My humble 2cs
V-Gain is just a plain noise generator with a knob to control the level.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Oh come on, stop complaining about the price... always the same. The first two pages in a new thread here are 90% useless....

I should write a song. Title "New Product Alert". With a catchy refrain:

"Oh my god why,
's the price so high?
They want me sub?
And join their club?
No, I'll just cry!
I will not buy,
Not even try.
I'll pass it by,
I flame it high.
The cake's a lie!
Good bye, good bye!"

Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
The one thing I did like about it was the low end too. The hazyness I heard on the top seemed to work better in the lows if you want a girthier type of boost.

I intended to master a few things with it but took it off in the end.
Same here. It did not make the cut in the end. BUT as a bus eq I think it could have potential
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Same here. It did not make the cut in the end. BUT as a bus eq I think it could have potential
Agree, will try it on some stem stuff to see how it works there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post

However, I managed to get it super super (I mean it) close to the PA bx_digital v3 .. like the difference is not even worth a mention.
Exactly! The bx_digital V3 provides a similar result in my testing too (though minus the color which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending).

I do like the AMEK 200, but it would not server as my primary eq for mastering. Going to hold on this one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Been testing it for the last hour or so. Not for me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Capitalism is pure greed and greed is killing this planet.

I dont think its anything good in that.

Sorry for the OT comment

Political statements are CLEARLY against the forum rules.
Are they only allowed as long as they are "anti-capitalism" ?
Mods ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackmastering View Post
Exactly! The bx_digital V3 provides a similar result in my testing too (though minus the color which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending).

I do like the AMEK 200, but it would not server as my primary eq for mastering. Going to hold on this one.
For colour/mojo EQ I really like the Softube Chandler Curve Bender .. it does have the soul and colour of the hardware.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

<modsnip- no politics please>
Speaking of PA, I will not buy Amek anytime soon and $225 is not worth it for me, but I will get Fuchs Overdrive Supreme 50 this month.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tried it in a mastering session. Even after seeing 2 youtube videos (before the mastering) and I don't really like its sound.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.simmons View Post
Political statements are CLEARLY against the forum rules.
Are they only allowed as long as they are "anti-capitalism" ?
Mods ?
Agreed, this is off-topic. To be fair though, it is a response to the original post, which is pro-capitalism. Doesn't that bother you equally, considering it was the first to mention politics?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search