The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance Release AMEK EQ 200
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted dbbd9a8 View Post
Better come back to your DAW and play with your mastering bundle 3.
Hahahahahaha ... good one.
Old 2nd June 2020
Here for the gear
Recent email from Bill Putnam couldn't differ from Dirk's more. This is how you do it Dirk.

Dear UA Friends and Family,

These are challenging times, and they are becoming more so every day. In light of recent events, Universal Audio will close normal operations June 2 in observance of "Blackout Tuesday."

We do this in solidarity with our peers in the music industry in recognition of those hurting within the Black community. Put simply, this is no time for business as usual.

As founder of Universal Audio, I recognize that I have not suffered the abuse, intolerance, and racism that so many others have experienced for their entire lives. So what can I do personally? What should Universal Audio as a company do?

Observing Blackout Tuesday is our first step. This is a day to allow UA employees to reflect on the racism and injustice affecting our Black brothers and sisters worldwide. To this end, we will be sharing articles, hosting internal discussions, and addressing how we can do our part to promote justice and equality in our communities.

We struggled with whether or not to shut down our online store, but decided that a better path would be to donate 100% of Tuesday's online store proceeds to worthy organizations including Equal Justice Initiative and the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

While UA is not an inherently "political" company, I believe we all have a responsibility to confront racism head-on, working in big and small ways to further equality and justice. We simply cannot return to the status quo, when the status quo is so clearly broken.

I invite all who are able to take some time tomorrow to think, reflect, and plan for a more free and fair world. This can be a significant opportunity for change, if we all do our part.

In the words of the late Robert Hunter, “Ain’t no time to hate.”

Peace and Sincerely,

Bill Putnam Jr.
Universal Audio
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ttila View Post
Recent email from Bill Putnam couldn't differ from Dirk's more. This is how you do it Dirk.

Dear UA Friends and Family,

These are challenging times, and they are becoming more so every day. In light of recent events, Universal Audio will close normal operations June 2 in observance of "Blackout Tuesday."

We do this in solidarity with our peers in the music industry in recognition of those hurting within the Black community. Put simply, this is no time for business as usual.

As founder of Universal Audio, I recognize that I have not suffered the abuse, intolerance, and racism that so many others have experienced for their entire lives. So what can I do personally? What should Universal Audio as a company do?

Observing Blackout Tuesday is our first step. This is a day to allow UA employees to reflect on the racism and injustice affecting our Black brothers and sisters worldwide. To this end, we will be sharing articles, hosting internal discussions, and addressing how we can do our part to promote justice and equality in our communities.

We struggled with whether or not to shut down our online store, but decided that a better path would be to donate 100% of Tuesday's online store proceeds to worthy organizations including Equal Justice Initiative and the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

While UA is not an inherently "political" company, I believe we all have a responsibility to confront racism head-on, working in big and small ways to further equality and justice. We simply cannot return to the status quo, when the status quo is so clearly broken.

I invite all who are able to take some time tomorrow to think, reflect, and plan for a more free and fair world. This can be a significant opportunity for change, if we all do our part.

In the words of the late Robert Hunter, “Ain’t no time to hate.”

Peace and Sincerely,

Bill Putnam Jr.
Universal Audio
Wow, profoundly different response. - in comparison Dirk sounds like a toddler who just wants more money.
Old 2nd June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
No one is being physically offed for speaking their mind and the plugin starvation has not kicked in just yet. In different scales indeed.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/faq....q_new_faq_item

Do you use "think" and "feel" interchangeably, or is there a particular feeling you seem to share with other people?

I have read Dirk stating that he wants people to sub, but no one is forced to subscribe as of now. Even if PA change their business tomorrow, subs only, nobody is forced to sub. Free will is still intact.

Other than not pushing for subs, how should PA conduct business in order for you to support them?
Suppression of opinions is also suppression.

About thinking anf feeling. Did you actually read my post? A feeling that one gets, is usually based on some thoughts that you come up with by doing research. If you don't like some ones business methods, you can feel disgusted. It's a series of events. Think > research > feeling based on research.

It's their business method that I am questioning. They are trying to shove that renting thing downs peoples throat my splattering it EVERYWHERE on their webside, in their emails, in the shopping basket, etc. 2 weeks ago 6 emails arrived telling me how much I will benefit from from going sub. Last week minimum 5 emails tryig to tell me the same. And a few days ago we got the slightly bizarre apology for using a wrong semi racist slogan. That was a bizarre email!

It's just the fact that the more they try to force it onto me, the less I want it. I think many people feel that way. And if you stil don't understand what feeling are based on, see comment above. I hav seen many people write that feel the same as me, that they get so annoyed from being force feed with those suggestions. And the more they try the less people want it.

How would they make a business?
Not my problem to find out, as it's not my business. I am just saying my opinion of what they do. PA's goal is to make as much money by sending you 100's of emails with info of what they want you to do, truing to force their opinion on to you. And it's ugly. If we take their last sales into consideration, where they suggest people to trade vourchers so they can make more sales and while doing it closes down everything in the group, only the uglyness of vouchers sharing is allowed anyone who has something reasonable to ask will be declined. It just get's sooooo ugly.

No, my business is to use as little money as possible. You make it sound like it's my responsibility to make sales for PA and keep their business going. And it's absolutely not. My business is to keep as much of MY money in MY pocket and still get the tools I need.
Old 2nd June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
I don't think for a second that already coded formulas for this or that can be saved for future purposes. But in what percentage does this applies if you're after modelling one box that hasn't been modeled yet? That's pure scam than! Right?

I was thinking more rethorical how good and healthy would be if someone with knowledge chimes in and address some of the statements. With knowledge like someone from PA team of devs. Because if PA really sells crap like this you and others mentioned and passing that as "newly acquired brand" or "modelled after X eq" then this is real BS.
Hobby programmer here, I have written several vsts and audio units in JUCE as well written DSP code for other platforms for personal use.

And YES, JUCE is PACKED with prewritten classes/libraries that I am 100% sure that a lot of companies use in their products.

If you sign up for JUCE forum, you will see lots of people from different companies asking question in their about libraries and so on.

DSP programming is such a difficult area to master. And writing GOOD dsp code, like good anti aliased effects and synths and so on, is even harder.

I am fairly sure that there is lot's of copy/pasting involved from a lot of the free libraries available in JUCE or other places on the web, also in paid software. But since it's closed source, we will never know for sure, but from what I can see in some of the forums that I frequent, using other peoples code is very normal.

One thing is what the marketing boys come up with, "custom", "spend years on X" "bla bla bla"..... And the other thing is the real world, where everyone uses code from everything they can find.
Old 2nd June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes, they are they are more eager to sell than several other companies. I will unsub e-mails and unfollow the socials of companies I find annoying. That way I am not annoyed and .. those who wish to get e-mails and marketing from their socials .. can do so. Problem solved for me and for others who wish to do so. For those who think or feel it is a problem and do not want it solved, good luck with not just PA but also with life in general.

I see some comments mentioning North Korea and Dirktator, and I wonder, is PA free to do business with those who wish to do business with PA?

The bottom line is this, the customer has the power to do business or not. This is where the true power is located.

Yeah and I did explain what I ment, didn't I? I explained to you that it was the same mechanism but different scale.

Now you are taking the text out of context of what I actually already explained to you.
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

I hope that tomorrow is bugfixing wednesday
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellypants View Post
It always amazes me that "some" people on this forum speak so factually about things they don't understand.

Like the truncation "issues" with SPL Iron that would actually be almost impossible to bring into the audible range.

Or the lack of oversampling which is factually incorrect... All bx plugs internally oversample.

These guys are experts in this field, have been doing it for decades at the highest level along with other companies, and know what they are doing.

I generally trust dsp experts working at these companies with tons of experience... Not some dweeb on gearslutz with plugin doctor that doesn't fully understand the graphs he/she is reading

Heres a post from Plugin Alliance in regards to oversampling:

OVERSAMPLING IN PLUGINS “MADE BY BX”

All analog modeled plugins “made by BX” apply oversampling internally whenever it is necessary, in a really clever way. We are typically not simply oversampling the whole plugin, as this would increase the CPU/DSP load unnecessarily in most cases.

Especially on DSP systems, where a plugin always has to “reserve” the worst case DSP load this wouldn’t be great. The same would be true for plugins like our SSL console emulations, which get used on dozens of channels in many mixes. CPU/DSP efficiency is key here.

The way our system works is that we basically make sure that any crucial part of analog modeled circuits run with a sample rate of at least 176Khz internally.

Our Upsampling Settings, depending on your session settings:

- Below 50kHz (for example 44.1 and 48): 4x
- Below 100kHz (for example 88.2 and 96): 2x
- Above 100kHz (176.4 and 192): 1x

We don’t offer these Upsampling modes to be selectable or switchable by the user, because we believe they are highly optimized for each circuit and application the way we have integrated our Upsampling.

Now if you use external plugins to upsample a complete plugin 8x for example) in a 44.1kHz session that means that you are now effectively using up to 32x (!) oversampling in our plugin (4x internally times 8).

As you can see in some online videos even at such extreme setting some circuits still show some visible Aliasing at very minor levels (-80dB for example). In real life that is typically nothing to worry about, and it shows that certain circuits would have to be upsampled to unhealthy sample rates for your CPU. After all, you probably need more than one plugin per session…

Upsampling is always a compromise between CPU/DSP usage and reducing Aliasing. And most digital algorithms are compromises, just like most analog gear has theoretical flaws and “mistakes”. Over the decades the human ear has learned to like these “imperfections”, so after all the most crucial question to us is always: can you hear any of the compromises or flaws in a negative way. Not on test tones and in labs, but on real life audio signals, in a realistic environment…?

In general, if you can use higher sample rates in your sessions, please do so. If your computer can handle the track count you need at 96k, this will certainly not give you worse results than recording at 44.1kH. Although we know from many hit producers that they work in 44k/24 Bits or slightly higher, not necessarily in 192kHz. At higher sample rates you make sure that EVERYTHING in an algorithm plays at double-speed, so to speak, not just the parts that have been upsampled on purpose. Those actually continue to use 176.4 or 192kHz, see the chart above.

Brainworx as a company has more than 15 years of experience in modeling analog circuits, and we have a whole team of DSP and analog experts working on our plugins, always in close cooperation with the analog partner companies who make the original units and know them inside out. You can trust that all our plugins are being tested under high standards, and matched with their hardware idols according to state-of-the-art modeling methods in professional real-life scenarios.

As you can see in some videos on YouTube, even Upsampling 32x doesn’t get rid of 100% of all the Aliasing you can imagine or enforce, but that certainly shouldn’t stop you from enjoying our modeled plugins or that of some other cool digital companies. In the end the issue even varies from one analog circuit to another…

The only alternative to using plugin emulations of analog gear is… to use real analog gear. At Brainworx, we are fans and believers in analog, so if that’s what you want to do and what you can do on a daily basis, please go ahead and do it!

All things combined we do believe that high quality analog emulations are superior to the all-analog experience over a whole production cycle, that’s if you take cost, speed and convenience, recall-ability, presets and other things into consideration.

But there is no denying that analog hardware is something to be admired. Even in 2020!
Hmm, that would mean that the upsampling/downsampling engine is not phase linear in the zero latency plugins?
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffasplaffa View Post
Hobby programmer here, I have written several vsts and audio units in JUCE as well written DSP code for other platforms for personal use.

And YES, JUCE is PACKED...
I hear you and I am (again) coming back to my thoughts. So, if there's a whole bunch of libs/parts already there and finished and it's copy paste, then the whole idea of releasing new plugins is complete BS. However I think that's not possible. So, either "X" developer is BS-ing us all by taking finished parts and simply putting it all together OR something else is the game here. I can't imagine there's literally every component modelled and left somewhere for free usage or further assembly. A component like cap or resistor. Or whatever... Any parts you can imagine that makes circuitry and finally finished tool such as EQ or Compressor. Or whichever.

Let's pretend for the moment there ARE indeed finished parts. Then marketing behing such "new" tool advertising is complete horsesh***t. Right? In that case there simply isn't any new tool developed other than good amount of test work and GUI work as well.

If only plugin development is that simple. Right?

I am NOT trying to dis anyone nor I am saying plugin development is esay and just copy-paste! I am NOT!

I am simply saying that either there's research and code writing for something particular or there's pre-made parts put together and sold as final product.

I am leaving this idea like this for everyone to see as they want to see it.

I am sincerely apologizing if I somehow have offended any developer. I was NOT nor I was stating anything definitively. I am simply trying to put it in 2 perspectives. Fully developed or borrowed. It is really an interesting topic for me who is not developer. I can read about it, I can (I think so anyway) understand the workflow of creating something as I am also "creator" of something by using finished products to make a new ones, I can partly understand how it is done but I don't know the first thing about code nor tool development. I am simply an user. Like 99,99% of people here who debate or write about issues, experiences or have questions.

Stay safe everyone!
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
Hmm, that would mean that the upsampling/downsampling engine is not phase linear in the zero latency plugins?
Yes it would have to be, but it's also not the case. But hey we're just dweebs
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexishere View Post
Wow, profoundly different response. - in comparison Dirk sounds like a toddler who just wants more money.
Yeah absolutely.
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

At least Dirk recently released new bugfixes while Bill released new bugs. Each has his strengths and weaknesses.
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

After the first failed attempt, I hope that there will be a final solution to the UAD authorization bug because like many other creative artists, I really like to give my tracks the special treatment that is possible with the quality of these plugins.
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ttila View Post
I invite all who are able to take some time tomorrow to think, reflect, and plan for a more free and fair world. This can be a significant opportunity for change, if we all do our part.]
When I read this I raised up from my chair and started clapping to the surprise of my co-workers. "Rejoice my brothers and sisters", I said, "a company that makes audio software has announced that they invite all to make every free willed human being on the planet to have a more free and fair world". My co-workers were their usual sceptical selves, well, monsters really, but I feel that this will make a huge impact on the world.
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
They are trying to shove that renting thing downs peoples throat my splattering it EVERYWHERE on their webside, in their emails, in the shopping basket, etc.
Dude, you have made me see the light. I feel that PA are kneeing us with their e-mails. I mean, it is very different and I could unsubscribe from their e-mails but I will not let them win. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever.

Quote:
It's just the fact that the more they try to force it onto me, the less I want it. I think many people feel that way. And if you stil don't understand what feeling are based on, see comment above.
I get your explanation, it was clear cut and right on the money. I am sure that many people feel that way too. At least it feels that way and it feels good that is what matters.

Quote:
You make it sound like
Right on, bro, I should not make it sound like stuff.

Quote:
Yeah and I did explain what I ment, didn't I?
I am sorry, same mechanism but different scale feels like a very fair and accurate way to put it.
Old 2nd June 2020
Quote:
PA are kneeing us with their e-mails. I mean, it is very different and I could unsubscribe from their e-mails but I will not let them win. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever.
that's some funny trolling, you DO win
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Suppression of opinions is also suppression.

About thinking anf feeling. Did you actually read my post? A feeling that one gets, is usually based on some thoughts that you come up with by doing research. If you don't like some ones business methods, you can feel disgusted. It's a series of events. Think > research > feeling based on research.

It's their business method that I am questioning. They are trying to shove that renting thing downs peoples throat my splattering it EVERYWHERE on their webside, in their emails, in the shopping basket, etc. 2 weeks ago 6 emails arrived telling me how much I will benefit from from going sub. Last week minimum 5 emails tryig to tell me the same. And a few days ago we got the slightly bizarre apology for using a wrong semi racist slogan. That was a bizarre email!

It's just the fact that the more they try to force it onto me, the less I want it. I think many people feel that way. And if you stil don't understand what feeling are based on, see comment above. I hav seen many people write that feel the same as me, that they get so annoyed from being force feed with those suggestions. And the more they try the less people want it.

How would they make a business?
Not my problem to find out, as it's not my business. I am just saying my opinion of what they do. PA's goal is to make as much money by sending you 100's of emails with info of what they want you to do, truing to force their opinion on to you. And it's ugly. If we take their last sales into consideration, where they suggest people to trade vourchers so they can make more sales and while doing it closes down everything in the group, only the uglyness of vouchers sharing is allowed anyone who has something reasonable to ask will be declined. It just get's sooooo ugly.

No, my business is to use as little money as possible. You make it sound like it's my responsibility to make sales for PA and keep their business going. And it's absolutely not. My business is to keep as much of MY money in MY pocket and still get the tools I need.
What a hard life you have, being continuously under pressure of junk mails, being forced under your aim to purchase plugins, a daily fight to resist, wow !
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
At least Dirk recently released new bugfixes while Bill released new bugs. Each has his strengths and weaknesses.
Dirk didn’t release new bugfixes. His team did. He probably wrote that sht though
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carambo View Post
What a hard life you have, being continuously under pressure of junk mails, being forced under your aim to purchase plugins, a daily fight to resist, wow !
I know how he/she/it/whatever feels and I can fully sympathize with his/her/their/whatever struggle and pain.

I myself enrolled in emails anonymous 6 months ago and I now attend meetings twice a week. It has been an enormous help for me in these trying times.

The pressure from all of these unwanted emails that I receive every day in my inbox is just too much for any normal human being to bear. I heard a rumor in which somebody claimed that I could just click on a mysterious button called "unsubscribe", but I haven't been bothered to test that out yet. It sounds like a conspiracy theory in my honest opinion.
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Maniac

After reading that pandering and virtue-signaling -- and overtly-political -- statement from UA, all I can say to the company is: Go f*** itself.

I've never been prouder than I am today of my decision years ago to cut myself off from a company that forces its users buy a $1,000 dongle in order to use its overpriced plugins. A disgusting company, all around.
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBX-80 View Post
I know how he/she/it/whatever feels and I can fully sympathize with his/her/their/whatever struggle and pain.

I myself enrolled in emails anonymous 6 months ago and I now attend meetings twice a week. It has been an enormous help for me in these trying times.

The pressure from all of these unwanted emails that I receive every day in my inbox is just too much for any normal human being to bear. I heard a rumor in which somebody claimed that I could just click on a mysterious button called "unsubscribe", but I haven't been bothered to test that out yet. It sounds like a conspiracy theory in my honest opinion.
Ahaha, "emails anonymous", excellent !
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

I Applaud au for their email.

For me it's not overly political.

It's the opposite. It's time to stand up and speak out loud for what you stand.

The individual is most Important.
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post

I disagree. Plugins and audio is the most important.

People and especially companies should keep their political opinions to themselves.
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
that's some funny trolling, you DO win
This win today and mastering bundle 3 yesterday, dreams do come true. I have bought 60 PA plugs since the end of February. In other words, I feel victimized by Dirkolini & PA’s evil sales empire and will cry myself to sleep tonight just in time for the nightmares to start. Then of course there is the threat of a new day and more sales. Sometimes surviving the sales is the worst kind of pain.
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
I Applaud au for their email.

For me it's not overly political.

It's the opposite. It's time to stand up and speak out loud for what you stand.

yes, tell them from Berlin what to do please. it has long tradition.
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ektia View Post
After reading that pandering and virtue-signaling -- and overtly-political -- statement from UA, all I can say to the company is: Go f*** itself.

I've never been prouder than I am today of my decision years ago to cut myself off from a company that forces its users buy a $1,000 dongle in order to use its overpriced plugins. A disgusting company, all around.
Pssst! Wrong thread. You might want to go and vomit elsewhere.
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

I see PA have a new mastering E.Q out, the Amek 200.

Bit pricey - but does it sound good ?
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

uh guys
can we get back to sound please ?

sound does not care
about which colour we are.
Isn‘t that great ?
So let‘s stand together for sound.

Last edited by Shaman; 2nd June 2020 at 10:22 PM..
Old 3rd June 2020
Gear Nut

Geez what a dumbass (and this sockpuppet Durk too)...first that 'positive group' sh1te and now this...
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
sound does not care
about which colour we are.
Isn‘t that great ?
So let‘s stand together for sound.
Sounds like a newsletter from Dirk
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear