The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FabFilter releases Saturn 2
Old 6 days ago
News Desk Editor

FabFilter releases Saturn 2-unnamed-2020-05-19t095417.866.jpg

FabFilter releases FabFilter Saturn 2

AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands, May 19, 2020. FabFilter is proud to announce immediate availability of FabFilter Saturn 2, a major update to their award-winning multiband distortion and saturation plug-in. Saturn 2 sees a top-to-bottom redesign of the Saturn interface for even greater ease of use and visualization, as well as a host of new features and improvements, including 12 new distortion styles, a radically overhauled and expanded modulation system, enhanced envelopes, linear phase processing, and a pristine new ‘Superb’ High Quality mode.

Beautiful new interface with modulation visualization

Saturn 2 looks better and flows faster than ever. The darker color scheme makes the plug-in easier to look at for extended sessions, and four interface size options and a stunning full-screen mode enable adaptation to any workspace. Modulation is now comprehensively visualized at both source and target, too, with color-coded collars and tracks on knobs and sliders animating in response to modulation input, the source flow area giving an eye-catching overview of all mod signals, and indicators on controls and bands showing which parameters are being modulated at a glance.

More distortion types

Saturn 2 almost doubles the number of distortion styles on board from 16 to 28. ‘Subtle’ versions of the Tape, Tube, and Saturation styles provide low-intensity warming, while four new British (Rock, Pop) and American (Tweed, Plexi) Amp styles perfectly model well-known guitar amplifiers, three Transformer styles (Subtle, Gentle, Warm) open up abrasive new possibilities, and the Foldback and Breakdown FX styles reshape and mutate sounds beyond recognition, the latter combining down-pitching with heavy distortion.

Big modulation changes

With virtually no limit placed on the combination of 16-step XLFOs, Envelope Generators, Envelope Followers, XY Controllers, and MIDI sources that can be used in a preset, Saturn has always been serious about creative modulation, and Saturn 2 takes the whole system to the next level. Curve the Envelope Generator’s Attack, Decay, and Release stages for a smoother or more aggressive response, activate the Envelope Follower’s new Transient detection mode to tightly track drums and percussion, and route discrete band inputs to both Envelope sources as triggering signals — pulverize hi-hats to the rhythm of the kick drum, for example. The XY Controller’s new Slider mode, meanwhile, slims it down to vertical-only operation, and the XLFO benefits from legato MIDI triggering and targeting of the Frequency Offset and Balance parameters for modulation. And with custom naming of individual mod sources now possible, users can customize their Saturn 2 presets for effortless navigation.

Mastering grade saturation

The new ‘Subtle’ saturation types make Saturn 2 the mastering engineer’s secret weapon, bringing enlivening presence and fizz to final mixes. In order to meet the exacting demands of such mission- critical application, the band crossovers now offer a choice of 6, 12, 24, 36, and 48 dB/octave roll-off slopes, the new ‘Superb’ High Quality mode switches the plug-in to 32x oversampling for almost total elimination of aliasing, and the Linear Phase option ensures maximum coherence for the crossovers and High Quality modes.

Key features:
  • 28 diverse distortion styles, from warming tube and tape saturation to screaming American and British guitar amps, Transformers, bit crushing, smearing, rectification, and more
  • Up to six separate processing bands, with variable crossover slopes: 6, 12, 24, 36, and 48 dB/octave
  • Independent Drive, Mix, Feedback, Dynamics, Tone, and Level controls for every band
  • Two High Quality modes for 8x and 32x oversampling
  • Regular stereo and mid/side processing
  • Intuitive interactive multiband display
  • Powerful, flexible modulation system: drag and drop as many 16-step XLFOs, XY Controllers, Envelope Generators, Envelope Followers, Sliders, and MIDI Sources as required
  • Full visual feedback of modulation via parameter animation and ‘source flow’
  • Linear phase mode for mastering applications
  • Four interface size options and full-screen mode
  • Carefully curated factory preset library for amp modeling, coloration, lo-fi degradation, and FX
  • All the usual FabFilter features users have come to expect: perfectly fine-tuned knobs and controllers, interactive MIDI Learn, undo/redo and A/B switch, Smart Parameter Interpolation for smooth parameter transitions, an extensive help file with interactive help hints, sample accurate automation, SSE optimization, and more

FabFilter Saturn 2 is now available for EUR 129, USD 154 or GBP 114, supporting both Windows and macOS in VST and VST 3, Audio Units, AAX, and AudioSuite plug-in formats. Bundles with FabFilter Saturn 2 and other FabFilter plug-ins are also available at: www.fabfilter.com/shop

Existing FabFilter customers can purchase or upgrade to FabFilter Saturn 2 with very attractive discounts by logging into their online user account: www.fabfilter.com/myaccount

System requirements are either Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP (32-bit and 64-bit) and a VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools, or Mac OS X 10.8 or higher (64-bit only) with Intel processor, and an Audio Units host, VST 2/3 host, or Pro Tools.

To make self-quarantine just a little bit easier during the COVID-19 pandemic, FabFilter offers free 30-day evaluation extensions for all their plug-ins, including Saturn 2.
Attached Thumbnails
FabFilter releases Saturn 2-unnamed-2020-05-19t095417.866.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Looks very good indeed!

Product Page

What's New

Last edited by The Press Desk; 6 days ago at 01:56 PM.. Reason: merged
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Looks promising. Especially having linear phase crossover options now.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

After few minutes playing with it, it's a nice GUI upgrade, you can now see what is modulated and how it is modulated (which is very good because Saturn 1 is a pain in the ass when you try to figure out what is happening), the new models are interesting and you've got some nice new features (linear phase, X32 oversampling, choice of crossover slope... etc.)

But I still don't know if it's worthy to upgrade, specially that it's only -50% for me (I own Saturn 1, Pro-Q3 and Pro-MB). It's not the greatest upgrade offer, specially that it's not a deep upgrade.

I quickly compared Saturn 1 and Saturn 2 (V1 preset folder), and on some presets it almost nulls (-80db) while on some others Saturn 2 sounds better (I still don't know what is improved, but it sounds a bit fuller/warmer, like without a veil)...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
No 18dB/oct?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
After few minutes playing with it, it's a nice GUI upgrade, you can now see what is modulated and how it is modulated (which is very good because Saturn 1 is a pain in the ass when you try to figure out what is happening), the new models are interesting and you've got some nice new features (linear phase, X32 oversampling, choice of crossover slope... etc.)

But I still don't know if it's worthy to upgrade, specially that it's only -50% for me (I own Saturn 1, Pro-Q3 and Pro-MB). It's not the greatest upgrade offer, specially that it's not a deep upgrade.

I quickly compared Saturn 1 and Saturn 2 (V1 preset folder), and on some presets it almost nulls (-80db) while on some others Saturn 2 sounds better (I still don't know what is improved, but it sounds a bit fuller/warmer, like without a veil)...
I like the sound of Saturn a lot. These new features make it all the more fun to play with. I have tried man multiband saturators and this one definitely my all time favourite. Very vast to get the sound I want for any sound source.

Without sounding like to much of a fanboy: FabFilter (in my opinion) get's the meld between form and function so right.

Last edited by LFO8; 6 days ago at 10:24 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Very curious for this.
Looking forward how the transformer sound compares to true iron.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

If you are not an existing FabFilter customer and you would like a 10% discount send me a private message.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Big step !!!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee52813 View Post
Big step !!!
I own Saturn 1, do you think I should upgrade ?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted brenn View Post
Have you tried the demo and evaluated the sound?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
Have you tried the demo and evaluated the sound?
Not yet, I was waiting first for feedback because I don't use it often
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I love how new subtle algos sound?? Instant upgrade purchase.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted brenn View Post
Sure !!!
Old 6 days ago
M2E
Lives for gear

Purchased, didn't even try it yet. Love Fabfilter stuff and always love saturation.

Can't wait to sleep then wake up and try it.

Thanks FF, Marc
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

One of my favorite Fabfilter plugin just got upgraded.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

This was EXACTLY the upgrade I was hoping for with Saturn, Fabfilter really listens to their customers, great job!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Did a quick test-drive.

The presets guys......

I like this
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Tried it. I was underwhelmed by the sound.

Excellent workflow though, as always
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Does it replaces Saturn 1 or its a separate plugin?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
Does it replaces Saturn 1 or its a separate plugin?
a separate plugin :-)
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

The new modules are very powerful, but need to tweak my own preset for it.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexishere View Post
Tried it. I was underwhelmed by the sound.
Did you use it with oversampling? Makes a big difference; see https://youtu.be/-jCwIsT0X8M
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Got it in and getting to know it. What a sound
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Looking forward to trying it! Do the algo’s sound better? That was my only problem with V1.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrogstudio View Post
Looking forward to trying it! Do the algo’s sound better? That was my only problem with V1.
After some testing and direct comparison between Saturn 1 and Saturn 2 (same V1 presets on the same source), some presets are sounding a bit better, some others are sounding the same (almost null).
But it's not a night & day difference, and I still don't understand what sounds better (The algos ? The modulation ? The band crossover ? Aliasing ? Oversampling ?).

Do anybody know if there is any specific intro price ? When I log, I just see my personal upgrade price, that I find a bit high for what seems to bring (to me) the 2nd version.

Or do you think it could be better to wait for a sale soon that will add to the upgrade price ?

I don't remember how often Fabfilter are making sales on their plugins. And if they do sales on new plugins. I need to check the Pro-Q3 history...

At this moment, I don't exactly need the 2nd version. I'm still even not sure I need it later... I like Saturn, but when compared to other saturation plugins I've got (Decapitator, HG-2, SDRR2...), the only interesting point is the modulation tweaks, and it's too complicated and takes too long time for me to really use the plugin very often...
The new version will be a bit more intuitive to use (thanks to the new GUI), it has some nice new algos and features, but I'm not convinced by the upgrade price...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrogstudio View Post
I think the old algorithms are fine for what they do but a lot of users didn't seem to realize that they are internally hard clipped.. so I suspect a lot of people were overdriving them into hard clipping.

You can easily test this by setting the input signal to -12dB and then compensate on the output with +12dB.. now after that crank the big DRIVE knob on any of the older algorithms. It sounds completely different than going close to 0dBFS on the input.

This is why my apparently quite legendary "The Tube" preset from Saturn 1 has it's input at -20dB and then uses the 'Warm Tube' algo, still with minimal actual distortion.

Having said that, FabFilter have now added a few more algorithms that do NOT have the built in clipping stage at all. Subtle Tube, Subtle Tape and Subtle Transformer. These are the algorithms you'll want to check out if you want smooth non-intrusive harmonics. Crank up the oversampling to max and hit that linear phase button for linear phase oversampling filters and you've got a pretty decent "mojo" type saturation.

Now add some envelope follower modulation to the drive knob and you'll get into "That is absolutely gorgeous!" territory.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Something I posted on KvR that some might find interesting:

Quote:
Speaking of the envelope followers. They are pretty powerful now. They can internally sidechain from other crossover bands meaning you can create some pretty cool frequency sensitive modulation action.

Want to distort extra hard the highs with transient information taken from the low bass? No problem.

Want to absolutely obliterate and smash the lows with transient or envelope information taken from a narrow midband targeted range? No problem.

Want to modulate another transient detectors attack and release with only frequency specific targeting? No problem.

Yeah, this is powerful stuff that'll take me years to wrap my head around on how to abuse.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Keen to try this. I’ve always just wanted the flexibility of Saturn but with the saturation sonics of a Slate/Softube/UAD.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

purchased the upgrade here as well. Nice and cheap too!! Now this is a company that understands price to quality!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search