The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FabFilter releases Saturn 2
Old 27th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
We've even shared a night out in Amsterdam, sipping quality coffee while burning a bunch of quality weed.

.. just saying.
LOL, I mean that you ARE the same person; you know like how you never see Clark Kent and Superman together...

So unless you have photographic evidence I ain't buying it ...DAN!

EDIT: Don't post photographic evidence of you and DW smoking a fat one plz!
Old 27th May 2020
Here for the gear

Just published a review of the new version of FabFilter Saturn. I spent the last week playing with it and gave it very high marks. As I state in the review, Saturn continues to be the "buy once, buy right" saturation/distortion plugin.

Check out the review here:

https://homestudiotoday.com/fabfilter-saturn-review/

Cheers!
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_K View Post
LOL, I mean that you ARE the same person; you know like how you never see Clark Kent and Superman together...

So unless you have photographic evidence I ain't buying it ...DAN!

EDIT: Don't post photographic evidence of you and DW smoking a fat one plz!
Hahaha! No, I can assure you Dan is a way cooler individual. He is exactly the kind mellow English dude you'd assume from the voice overs in his videos. Extraordinary gentleman he is.

I'm just the grumpy slightly nerdy Finn.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Can anyone check: go to preset "Smashing Compression bM" in both the VST(2) and VST3 versions.... The VST3 sounds more open and dimensional? The VST2 sounds flat and boring in comparison.... how come?
Could you have accidentally had the oversampling turned on with one of the instances and off with the other?
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pardon the ignorance and caution, but what do I do with ffp files? A quick scan of the net says thesw are FLAC related. Can someone provide some instruction on what to do with these to end up with the presets? I'm on a Mac if that makes a difference.
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Just had a good go with Saturn 2 really impressed with controlling the XY thing with a Roli light pad.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
Pardon the ignorance and caution, but what do I do with ffp files? A quick scan of the net says thesw are FLAC related. Can someone provide some instruction on what to do with these to end up with the presets? I'm on a Mac if that makes a difference.
Fab Filter Preset = ffp

You have to paste them into a folder location where the plugin can see them. Not sure where that’s hidden in a Mac, but I’m sure someone here will say.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
.ffp is the filename extension for FabFilter presets.

https://www.fabfilter.com/help/satur...esetsarestored
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is a load preset option in the plugin, click that then find the preset in the browser.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Fab Filter Preset = ffp

You have to paste them into a folder location where the plugin can see them. Not sure where that’s hidden in a Mac, but I’m sure someone here will say.
Quote:
.ffp is the filename extension for FabFilter presets.

https://www.fabfilter.com/help/satur...esetsarestored
Ha! Maybe I should've searched a bit more.

Got'em. Can't wait to try these out. Thanks bmanic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
There is a load preset option in the plugin, click that then find the preset in the browser.
I was able to manually paste them in my presets folder. Load Preset seems like a slicker option for the future, but I can't find it. I looked everywhere in the presets menu, I think. Can you direct me to this?
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Joe View Post
Just had a good go with Saturn 2 really impressed with controlling the XY thing with a Roli light pad.
Mmmm thks for the reminder !!
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone1313 View Post
Same here. I am hearing more results from Mythical 3D than I am with 3D Extractor.

Can someone ELI5 the difference? Are they both just doing some version of envelope following saturation?

I was almost going to pass on this upgrade, but I can't deny the magic of Mythical 3D. Even on top of all my other goodies: Gullfoss, INTENSITY, UNFILTERED, etc. Dang.
I can't seem to find the "Mythical 3D Bm Color" preset in the google drive folder
I see the "3D Extractor trafo bM" and 3 others but not the Mythical...? was it shared somewhere else?
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Nut

Never mind people... I'm silly... I thought it was one of Bmanics.. PS THE 3D EXTRACTOR IS SOOOOOOOOOOOO DOPE. Thanks Bman!
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Nut

Some interesting examples here

Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturatio View Post
I can't seem to find the "Mythical 3D Bm Color" preset in the google drive folder
I see the "3D Extractor trafo bM" and 3 others but not the Mythical...? was it shared somewhere else?
The Mythical 3D preset is included with Saturn 2 official release (found in the Color category). The extra presets in my google drive folder were created after release of Saturn 2.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle007 View Post
Maybe the VST2 is stereo and the VST3 dual-mono (or visa versa). In the Chlorine tutorial on PUREMIX, Adam Hawkins mentions he got some plugins with exactly the same settings in PT and Logic, and the sounded different. It appeared to be due stereo/dual-mono differences in the processing path of the DAW's.
Yeah that might be it.. dunno. I am on mac btw.
Thanks for the replies so far.
Weird though!
Can that be verified by the dev?
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Bmanic's preset is awesome. The 3D transformer blend is crazy good.

I'm still learning it's workflow.
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Yeah that might be it.. dunno. I am on mac btw.
Thanks for the replies so far.
Weird though!
Can that be verified by the dev?
You should be able to test it by splitting the stereo track to 2 mono tracks, add the instance of Saturn on these with the same preset and pan them. See if it sounds different than the same preset on a stereo track.
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

Stoopid question for sure, but will bmanic’s new presets be added in an update?
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
Stoopid question for sure, but will bmanic’s new presets be added in an update?
or you can manually add it to the preset folder.
Old 30th May 2020
Gear Addict

love this - the modulation system is top notch.

Any videos out there going into the modulation system in depth?
Old 31st May 2020
Here for the gear

okay as i'm starting to wrap my head around the complexity of Saturn 2 and understand how it works i've been going through the presets and allot of them end with an abbreviation like MdB or bM or SM or O does anyone have a clue what these mean?
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterman View Post
okay as i'm starting to wrap my head around the complexity of Saturn 2 and understand how it works i've been going through the presets and allot of them end with an abbreviation like MdB or bM or SM or O does anyone have a clue what these mean?
Usually that signifies the author of the preset. For example in synth factory presets if you see the letters ARK in the preset name, I probably made it
Old 31st May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
Usually that signifies the author of the preset. For example in synth factory presets if you see the letters ARK in the preset name, I probably made it
cool thanks! that thought had occurred to me... but I was trying to figure out if it was tied to something else in the plugin or settings
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

The preset names and the author would probably be more clear if it was in brackets [bM], [O], [MdB] etc.

But yeah, if you see "bM" after the name of a preset (FabFilter or any other company) then that preset is most likely mine. The only exception is Pro-L 2 where my presets are part of the company factory presets, thus most of those that have no author identifier at all are mine in that particular plugin.
Old 31st May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
The preset names and the author would probably be more clear if it was in brackets [bM], [O], [MdB] etc.

But yeah, if you see "bM" after the name of a preset (FabFilter or any other company) then that preset is most likely mine. The only exception is Pro-L 2 where my presets are part of the company factory presets, thus most of those that have no author identifier at all are mine in that particular plugin.
Just jumping in to wave a short "thank you" in your direction for your superb bonus presets and explanations here. I feel like I've learned some things..

Maybe you can share which of the Pro L2 presets are yours. So we can enjoy them the same way we enjoy the Saturn ones..
Old 1st June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

I would love to watch you on how you use the unisum, pro-l2 and saturn2.

I'd pay for it if it's in a zoom video kind of webinar.
Old 5th June 2020
Deleted d195ea3
Would love love love to try the extra presets you guys are talking about, but alas I cannot download from Google drive here Any chance of a more global friendly link to download? Pretttttty pleeeeease
Old 5th June 2020
Here for the gear

Hmmmm....seems Saturn 2 is the only plugin of this type that really does the trick....amazing!!
Old 5th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted d195ea3 View Post
Would love love love to try the extra presets you guys are talking about, but alas I cannot download from Google drive here Any chance of a more global friendly link to download? Pretttttty pleeeeease
Any suggestions? Didn't know google drive isn't global. Always thought it was one of the most reliable.

Can you try to download the attachement to this post? It's the same zip as on Google Drive.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Saturn 2 - bM Xtra Presets.zip (2.6 KB, 128 views)
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear