The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FabFilter releases Saturn 2
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Click the tiny square top right it goes full screen. Distortion sounds close enough to Soundtoys little Radiator I'll buy it after the demo really like it on Electric pianos like Keyscape.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Did you use it with oversampling? Makes a big difference; see https://youtu.be/-jCwIsT0X8M
Thanks for this link. It is the best video I've seen so far about aliasing and sample rates. By far!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Amaaaazing work Fabfilter have done with Saturn2. You can hear the improvement sound on the tube, tapes etc..tone Sat2 has. Man, really enjoying it. Just throw Sat2 on a masterbuss of a Reggae track i'm working right now, dial up some Color preset and dial uip the Mix knob to taste & voila the whole song got lifted nicely filled with a nice warm musical tone, gels everything nice without any over compression, I mean it just sound awesome. And I didn't even go deep into all the features. Instant beautiful sonic sound.

Anyhow, if Saturn was one of my favorite Fabfilter plugin, this is just became a Swiss Army beast flavor.

Great job Fab Team ;-)

Gonna go add Sat2 in some individual and busses, sure its gonna be pure bliss. And the amazing part of it, light on CPU
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Amaaaazing work Fabfilter have done with Saturn2. You can hear the improvement sound on the tube, tapes etc..tone Sat2 has. Man, really enjoying it. Just throw Sat2 on a masterbuss of a Reggae track i'm working right now, dial up some Color preset and dial uip the Mix knob to taste & voila the whole song got lifted nicely filled with a nice warm musical tone, gels everything nice without any over compression, I mean it just sound awesome. And I didn't even go deep into all the features. Instant beautiful sonic sound.

Anyhow, if Saturn was one of my favorite Fabfilter plugin, this is just became a Swiss Army beast flavor.

Great job Fab Team ;-)

Gonna go add Sat2 in some individual and busses, sure its gonna be pure bliss. And the amazing part of it, light on CPU
Bass homie , bass !! try that on bass ...

I love use the darkglass without the cab , to get the warm and articulations .... this alwos freq wise management of distortion and dynamic like very few (i'm selling paralax witch is capable of that but i just preferd the sound of darkglass , or at least the speed lol)

On kick also it rules versus my other bid dogs (true iron , kush twk , elysia and Vpre's from Fuse Audio labs ect ..) not that the harmonics and sat is better but mainly because of the controls ..the ability to drighten a snare and then tame it with some tape algo while controling the kick and hitting transfo on a drum loop makes the whole diffrence ....

Beast in that sens it has crazy capabilities but is fast (sign of a good design) to tweak , a pleasure to work with (look at ...yep inspiring) and can be all a new kid gonna need .... it is for me , for modern production what RC 20 is for lofi hip hop !! a classic
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Have the demo running.
Didn't ever get Saturn 1 despite being tempted.

The transformers in this are fantastic.
The Dynamic Warm Transformer pre-set is great starting point.
Nice work (again) bManic.

Subtle but, hit bypass and ...... oh dear.
I'm A/B ing it with the new update of AnyTesla (transformers).
AT stands up pretty well but it doesn't have the degree of control over all elements that Saturn 2 offers.
UPDATE: Actually for transformers AT is really good.

Sooo many options in Saturn2.
It really is an extremely powerful sound shaping tool.
Much more than a saturation box.

Last edited by Beatworld; 1 week ago at 07:59 AM.. Reason: less info :)
Old 1 week ago
adl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Bass homie , bass !! try that on bass ...

I love use the darkglass without the cab , to get the warm and articulations .... this alwos freq wise management of distortion and dynamic like very few (i'm selling paralax witch is capable of that but i just preferd the sound of darkglass , or at least the speed lol)

On kick also it rules versus my other bid dogs (true iron , kush twk , elysia and Vpre's from Fuse Audio labs ect ..) not that the harmonics and sat is better but mainly because of the controls ..the ability to drighten a snare and then tame it with some tape algo while controling the kick and hitting transfo on a drum loop makes the whole diffrence ....

Beast in that sens it has crazy capabilities but is fast (sign of a good design) to tweak , a pleasure to work with (look at ...yep inspiring) and can be all a new kid gonna need .... it is for me , for modern production what RC 20 is for lofi hip hop !! a classic
Any chance to get one of your nice video reviews for Saturn where you show how you set up stuff like that? Id by hyped to see that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Slightly bummed that the existing/old algos didn't get improvement, and if I had to nitpick (because this thing has everything else and more), the lack of output auto-gain compensation would've been nice feature (for fast sound shaping/creativity workflow).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
You can do some pretty interesting things with Saturn 2. For instance, try setting the input to -20dB and compensate the output to +20dB. Now select one of the Subtle algorithms (tube, tape or transformer). Then crank up the big drive knob to full.

Now modulate the big drive knob with an envelope follower so that it reduces the drive the louder the incoming audio is. This means you are getting progressively less harmonic distortion the higher the incoming signal is and thus what you are actually doing is giving a lot of harmonic content to low level signals.

This can help a lot to bring out details and "3D feel" from your tracks. It'll sort of separate the loud stuff from the quiet stuff but in a really organic way. That's a bit what my preset actually does, except it also does the same for mid vs side signals.

EDIT: Like this

https://i.imgur.com/d3aTVuv.gifv
This is amazing! Thank you for the tip I would have never known!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Joe View Post
Click the tiny square top right it goes full screen. Distortion sounds close enough to Soundtoys little Radiator I'll buy it after the demo really like it on Electric pianos like Keyscape.
What preset that sounds like Little Radiator?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

No intro price???
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stravinsky View Post
What preset that sounds like Little Radiator?
You didn't ask me but the Warm Tube algo is really similar to Little Radiator
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deif View Post
You didn't ask me but the Warm Tube algo is really similar to Little Radiator
Thanks mate. Will try that soon.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Big thanks to @ bmanic - his presets are amazing, and far beyond anything I would have considered trying myself.

Both useful and easy to use/dial in.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I just had to stop by and drop a line of praise for this plugin.

Saturn 2 is a total BEAST! Amazing job again FabFilter!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Big thanks to @ bmanic - his presets are amazing, and far beyond anything I would have considered trying myself.

Both useful and easy to use/dial in.
Thanks man!

In case you missed it, I posted two additional presets somewhere in the middle of this thread. One is a demonstration of a highly program dependent compressor that you can DIY within Saturn using it's newly enhanced EVF.

Google drive link (ZIP file containing 2 presets): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cW...iqltjwuSdw-M5w
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
Any chance to get one of your nice video reviews for Saturn where you show how you set up stuff like that? Id by hyped to see that.
I could but honestly i'm pretty sure a lot of reviews gonna be done already , if you guyz think something missing i will happily try to make one
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks man!

In case you missed it, I posted two additional presets somewhere in the middle of this thread. One is a demonstration of a highly program dependent compressor that you can DIY within Saturn using it's newly enhanced EVF.

Google drive link (ZIP file containing 2 presets): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cW...iqltjwuSdw-M5w
Thks B for your contribution , i'm habing fun with the XY it's crazy how with this simple concept i can gravitae to all colors i want , if only we could modulate / select algo , it would be the end :::!!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I really hope FabFilter add a "None" option to the saturation algorithm list. I really want to use Saturn as my everyday utility plugin. It can do so many things so well, from basic crazy compression concepts to multiband transient design stuff and stereo widening etc.

Your idea of modulating between algorithms would be extremely cool too! Actually, would be really nice if every band could have TWO selected algorithms in either parallel or series and then a single knob to blend between the two. Oh my god the power we'd have then!!

Yeah.. I'm a control freak.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really hope FabFilter add a "None" option to the saturation algorithm list. I really want to use Saturn as my everyday utility plugin. It can do so many things so well, from basic crazy compression concepts to multiband transient design stuff and stereo widening etc.

Your idea of modulating between algorithms would be extremely cool too! Actually, would be really nice if every band could have TWO selected algorithms in either parallel or series and then a single knob to blend between the two. Oh my god the power we'd have then!!

Yeah.. I'm a control freak.
send them an email, along with your presets... it's actually amazing how friendly and responsive their team in my experience! maybe you will inspire them, and maybe your presets will show up in the next update!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
maybe your presets will show up in the next update!
Along with the 25 of bManic's presets which have already made it in the current release
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I dont post very often here, but Saturn 2 is crazy, crazy good. Just wanted to say that. Good times. Thanks FabFilter.
I also wanted to say a BIG thank you to bManic - your presets are just phenomenal. Extremely good and useful. I mostly work on acoustic music and the 3D preset is just a godsend.
By the way, I have a question for Bmanic: why decreasing the input and increasing the output by 20db each, in the 3d preset? I am sure you have a very good reason but ... could you please explain why?
Thanks!!
Jo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMas View Post
By the way, I have a question for Bmanic: why decreasing the input and increasing the output by 20db each, in the 3d preset? I am sure you have a very good reason but ... could you please explain why?
Thanks!!
Jo
The bigger your gain input the more the subtle harmonics that create the 3dness are masked. Thats why he also cranks the output to the max: to maximize the 3d output.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
The bigger your gain input the more the subtle harmonics that create the 3dness are masked. Thats why he also cranks the output to the max: to maximize the 3d output.
Thanks but ... why?
My understanding (I'm SURELY wrong) is that the ratio between signal and harmonics is independent on signal loudness ... for example:
If the input signal is low, the harmonics generated will also be low
If the input signal is higher, the harmonics generated will also be higher
So why there should be a difference in masking if the ratio between signal and harmonics stay the same?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMas View Post
I dont post very often here, but Saturn 2 is crazy, crazy good. Just wanted to say that. Good times. Thanks FabFilter.
I also wanted to say a BIG thank you to bManic - your presets are just phenomenal. Extremely good and useful. I mostly work on acoustic music and the 3D preset is just a godsend.
Thanks!!
Jo
It's simply to control the harmonics and to make sure that the big DRIVE knob doesn't oversaturate things. Internally FabFilter Saturn 2 is running 64bit floating point so you can easily abuse the input gain this way.

Basically I'm extending the "subtle" range of the drive knob by doing this. It becomes much easier to modulate aggressively this way.

If you want to use the slightly hotter saturation algorithms but still have a lot of movement for the big drive knob, then you can go as far as using the whole range (-36dB on input and +36 on output).

Cheers!
bM
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks man!

The 3D is amazing on the 2-bus - big thanks :-)
Hoping that Fabfilter next update is the C2. C2 always sound a little flat (2d) ... or maybe I'm missing something
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hopefully this is a good place to ask...

I'm almost certainly upgrading to S2, but considering Kazrog's True Iron and Klanghelm's SDRR. Though both seem to offer a few options S2 doesn't, I wonder if S2's versatility negates the need.

Which, if any, would be a good complement to S2?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I'm on the fence about picking this up. There's some cool stuff here with the modulation options, but it really kind of bugs me that there are no stompbox distortion modes. Seems like a gap to me. For instance, if this had modes like Vintage Fuzz, Muff, Rat, Screamer, Guv'nor, even if they were just in the ballpark versus any kind of claim to true circuit-level emulation, this would be a no-brainer. Like, I've got great saturation plugins covering transformers and tapes, I've got way better amp sim plugins, so this is covering a lot of the same ground. What I really want are some additional takes on stomp-box style plugins with all the same multi-band and modulation capabilities that say, The Scream, doesn't offer, and I can't easily get reamping audio through my hardware stompboxes. That's where there's a gap in the market, and a big hole in the Saturn 2 modes IMO.

Note: the FX modes are the closest, and very cool. But I really want Saturn2+fuzz.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
Hopefully this is a good place to ask...

I'm almost certainly upgrading to S2, but considering Kazrog's True Iron and Klanghelm's SDRR. Though both seem to offer a few options S2 doesn't, I wonder if S2's versatility negates the need.

Which, if any, would be a good complement to S2?
IMO saturation plugs are flavor plugs more so than most other tools like compressors or eqs. With that said each companies algos are a bit different so its nice to have different flavors in your toolbox. Personally I think few companies really nail it. Fab Filter, Soundtoys, and Karzog (True Iron) are at the top of the heap.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

@ bmanic , I spent part of the afternoon getting lost with one drum loop and a bass guitar with your presets - absolutely stunning.

The one which has got me perplexed so far is the program dependent compressor! I need a bit more time with it to fiddle around, maybe it’s me being thick but would love a tutorial from you on how to get the best out of this sucker.

Well done to you and FF
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
@ bmanic , I spent part of the afternoon getting lost with one drum loop and a bass guitar with your presets - absolutely stunning.

The one which has got me perplexed so far is the program dependent compressor! I need a bit more time with it to fiddle around, maybe it’s me being thick but would love a tutorial from you on how to get the best out of this sucker.

Well done to you and FF
The compressor is a bit fiddly to use.. I need to refine it some.

For example the XY pad is sensitive so usually setting small values is the way to go. Same for the auto attack slider. Try to keep small values.

You get some sort of visual feedback on what is going on when you open up the EVF panel and actually look at the modulation happening in real time.

If you follow the mod matrix logic of the XY pad you'll see that the X axis (horizontal) plane changes the transient detector to either detect on the transient or the sustain part of the incoming audio. Also note that this transient detector takes it's sidechain from the Low band (this is the "secret sauce" of this thing).

Then the Y axis (vertical) is simply the amount of modulation that is done to the main compressor envelopes release. If you move the slider up, you'll lengthen the release according to the transient or sustain of the Low Band. If you move it down, you shorten the release time.

The auto attack slider takes it's sidechain input from the higher band. Middle position is no attack modulation, positive values increase the attack and negative values decrease the attack.

Thus is you want to make the compressor "choke" and pump, you'd set the ordinary attack to a higher value (like say 0.15) and then set the auto attack to -0.1 or so.. or more. This would then shorten the attack of the compressor on each incoming transient and quickly let it go back to it's original setting (0.15 in this example) once the transient has passed.

I made the controls in such a way that there is room for "crazy" values. This may not at all be optimal as it gets a bit difficult to use.

I'll try to refine it and make it more constrained so that all values are within sensible bounds.. but in general, try to keep quite low values on all the sliders and the XY stuff and you should be able to hear how it can react in very varying ways depending on the incoming audio signal.

EDIT: To do small movements with the controls, hold SHIFT while dragging them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search