The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.12 featuring Neve 1084 Preamp & EQ Plug-In
Old 1 week ago
News Desk Editor

Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.12 featuring Neve 1084 Preamp & EQ Plug-In

Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.12 featuring Neve 1084 Preamp & EQ Plug-In-neve_1084_hero.jpg

A classic Neve channel strip with top-of-the-line EQ and Unison integration with Apollo interfaces

SCOTTS VALLEY, CA • May 12th, 2020 — Universal Audio, a leading manufacturer of professional audio recording hardware and software, is proud to release UAD Software v9.12, featuring the Neve 1084 Preamp & EQ plug-in — a precise emulation of the coveted British channel module that combines top-shelf Neve sound with extended EQ and UnisonTM preamp integration with Apollo interfaces.

The Neve 1084 channel amplifier and EQ is the engine powering a handful of sought-after Neve 80 series consoles. Introduced on the heels of the coveted Neve 1073,TM this rare “upsell” module features the same class-A mic/line preamp as the 1073 with the addition of three switchable EQ bands and narrow or wide Q settings.

Fully endorsed by AMS Neve, and available exclusively for UAD hardware and UA Audio Interfaces, the Neve 1084 Preamp & EQ plug-in captures the luxurious analog character and extended EQ colors of the quintessential British channel module.

“We are excited for the next chapter in our 15 year partnership with Universal Audio. The 1084 holds a special place in the imagination of engineers and producers, and we are thrilled for its introduction to the UAD platform.”
- Mark Crabtree (Founder, AMS Neve)

By emulating the entire dual-stage class-A "Red Knob" preamp, EQ circuit, and post-fader output amplifier, the Neve 1084 plug-in gives users quality Neve sonics with added tone shaping and versatility. Plus, harnessing UA’s Unison Technology, the Neve 1084 plug-in lends authentic front-end punch of the original Neve module with bi-directional control of your Apollo interface's mic preamps.

Neve® 1084TM Preamp & EQ — Key Features:
● Authentic plug-in emulation of classic Neve 1084 channel amplifier and EQ
● Versatile EQ options for use on vocals, drums, synths, guitars, and more
● Classic Neve tone — includes all 13 clipping points from the vintage 70’s-era hardware
● Extended EQ — inject "air" or notch out frequencies with EQ filters beyond the 1073
● Faithful class-A preamp character of the original hardware
● Dual-stage mic preamp with UnisonTM technology
● Mix with artist presets from J.J. Blair, Chris Coady, Jacquire King, and more

Other Enhancements and Changes
  • (Neve 1073) Click zones added for stepped EQ frequency controls
  • (Neve 1073) Pad setting now always matches hardware when in Unison insert
  • (Capitol Chambers) Improved response time of chamber animation graphics
  • (Capitol Chambers) Improved leveling when mics and chambers changed at minimum position
  • (Manley Massive Passive) Resolved knob graphic flickering issues on mono tracks
  • (Ocean Way Studios) Improved high-frequency response at sample rates of 88.2 kHz and 96 kHz
  • (UAD) Noise now defaults to OFF for Studer A800, Ampex ATR-102, Lexicon 224
  • (Apollo) Multi-unit sessions with same device types now always load in correct order
  • (Apollo Windows) New Console Isolate feature for persistent input monitoring
  • (Apollo Windows Thunderbolt & USB) MONO button now level compensated by -6 dB
  • (Apollo) Unison Gain Stage Mode indications are now outlines instead of dots with UA-developed plug-ins
  • (Console) Pressing spacebar with Console application in foreground now starts/stops the LUNA transport
  • (Console) Resolved crash issues with Remove All command and shift-dragging plug-ins
  • (Windows) Resolved issue causing some UAD plug-ins to display a blank window
  • (LUNA) UAD Software Installer now automatically quits LUNA if open
  • (macOS) High resolution Retina display graphics for:
  • UAD API 560
  • UAD API 550A
  • UAD AKG BX20
  • UAD Manley Massive Passive
  • UAD Manley Massive Passive Mastering

Download UAD Software v9.12:
https://www.uaudio.com/uad/downloads/
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.12 featuring Neve 1084 Preamp & EQ Plug-In-neve_1084_hero.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thank you, I could not figure this out today!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Great! Looking forward to checking this out. Hope it compares well to Acustica offerings - certainly more friendly on my system!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Is this sonically any better than the UAD Neve 1073? Is the modeling different or improved for the mic pre, or eq section(excluding the extra bands added)?
Old 1 week ago
still looking to hear more 3D mojo.. In the examples the eq sounds good not sure on the pre
Old 1 week ago
This is the type of the that UA is very good at. Will check it out.
Old 1 week ago
Rea
Lives for gear

OMG Another Neve emulation! I can finally Mix!!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What, noooo!!! 1081 MkII, where are you?!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforest4 View Post
Is this sonically any better than the UAD Neve 1073? Is the modeling different or improved for the mic pre, or eq section(excluding the extra bands added)?
Download the demo and hear for yourself.
The 1073 and 1084 share the same sonic
Neve “footprint”, although they do sound
a little different from each other. The 1084
has more features and options than the
1073 as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I will get it when UAD3 hardware is released.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I will get it when UAD3 hardware is released.
Could be waiting a long time, people have been saying that for ten years.

Anyhow, looks decent, audio demos sounded nice enough. I'm assuming they've done this to add to the summing options in Luna too, or maybe it's just based on the Luna summing channel updated codebase. This sort of interface makes me wish there were an IOS/Android remote app for UAD plugins, something you could just use with the console to adjust the Pre's while tracking in your DAW without jumping into the console app itself.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Could be waiting a long time, people have been saying that for ten years.

Anyhow, looks decent, audio demos sounded nice enough. I'm assuming they've done this to add to the summing options in Luna too, or maybe it's just based on the Luna summing channel updated codebase. This sort of interface makes me wish there were an IOS/Android remote app for UAD plugins, something you could just use with the console to adjust the Pre's while tracking in your DAW without jumping into the console app itself.
An iPad interface to the Apollo would be awesome.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yay, another Neve.....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Yay, another Neve.....
Yes, it is as if Neve sounds good or something. And why would someone emulate what sounds good and try to make their current emulation better than previous emulations by others? The audio industry is crazy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
That High band EQ really does a nice job and warming up and smoothing out the sound of a lead synth I was working with.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
Yes, it is as if Neve sounds good or something. And why would someone emulate what sounds good and try to make their current emulation better than previous emulations by others? The audio industry is crazy.
Oh give me a break, haha. From what I’ve been told about the guts and my experience comparing a racked up 1073 and 1084 side by side, the preamps are and sound exactly the same. The only difference is more EQ options and points on the 1084. I don’t think the EQ is a small difference, the extra stuff on the 1084 is great! However, to pitch this as another unison preamp at $300 is ridiculous. It should have been an extension of the 1073 plugin where you can just change the EQ around. How many freaking versions of the same preamp topology do we have from them now? It’s getting crazy!

I love my Apollo and UAD stuff, but there’s no way I’m going to shell out $300 for ANOTHER copy of my 1073 plugin that has a few more EQ points.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I love my Apollo and UAD stuff, but there’s no way I’m going to shell out $300 for ANOTHER copy of my 1073 plugin that has a few more EQ points.
Some will buy it, some will not, that is how it goes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm still peaved at having to forkout for the stand-alone 73pre despite owning the full 73!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's obviously true, but I'll voice my (what I feel like is fair and legitimate) annoyance at their current marketing direction:

-Neve 1073 $299
-Neve 1084 $299
-Neve Preamp $149
-Luna Summing $299

They should all be the same thing. They've at least attempted to save you some money with the Neve Complete Bundle, but the Luna Summing isn't included in there. I recognize their justification for that because it's "different teams" developing Luna modules, but at this point it might as well be another entirely separate company...

So yes, sigh... ANOTHER Neve plugin.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
I'm still peaved at having to forkout for the stand-alone 73pre despite owning the full 73!
Yes, it is tough and enough to make grown men fold into themselves, fall down on the floor and have a good cry while shaking the fist at, you know .. stuff and also hardware emulations.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Another day, another (Neve) plugin, it is a hard-knock life.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Poor 1081 got left out. :(
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another day, another (Neve) plugin, it is a hard-knock life.
. At least the wood rack is a darker stain on the 1084, it's really going to bring my room together (FINALLY)! Totally worth the extra money.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Feels a bit redundant if you already have 1073, although the high frequencies distort slightly differently. It's nice to have different frequency points for the highest band, and it may be a useful addition for Neve fanatics.
Old 1 week ago
Rea
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's obviously true, but I'll voice my (what I feel like is fair and legitimate) annoyance at their current marketing direction:

-Neve 1073 $299
-Neve 1084 $299
-Neve Preamp $149
-Luna Summing $299

They should all be the same thing. They've at least attempted to save you some money with the Neve Complete Bundle, but the Luna Summing isn't included in there. I recognize their justification for that because it's "different teams" developing Luna modules, but at this point it might as well be another entirely separate company...

UA is a money sucking machine in the tradition of Apple and Microsoft and Amazon. Its that kind of mentality.
I believe society is on the verge of reevaluating all of this, now with Covid19 and mass poverty at the door.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
UA is a money sucking machine in the tradition of Apple and Microsoft and Amazon. Its that kind of mentality.
I believe society is on the verge of reevaluating all of this, now with Covid19 and mass poverty at the door.
You are grossly underestimating how over-leveraged people are willing to get. Ask anyone who works at the finance department at a car dealership.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes, it is tough and enough to make grown men fold into themselves, fall down on the floor and have a good cry while shaking the fist at, you know .. stuff and also hardware emulations.
Taking an existing plug in and removing the EQ code and recompiling it isn't $149 worth of value! It should have been a $10 option at most for existing 1073 owners - that'll still probably return a profit on what was trivial amount of effort (GUI) on UA's behalf. The price is just piss taking. Now they've tweaked the EQ section, called it a 1084 and they want another $299! I bet all three would null using the pre-amp section alone or the 1073 and 1084 - ie it's the same code.

It'll be interesting to see if when using the EQ options in the ranges shared by both plugins whether the 1073 and 1084 null, then they do then all they've done is plastered an air option on. In fact - sod it - I'll load it up and try it...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm also among those who think this is a rather lame move from UA.

I would have much prefered to see the 1081mkII, maybe even a 1081 with a 1073 pre instead of the original class A-B pre on the 1081. Instead we get more of the same...

The Lindell 80 series is excellent though - and it's done the way UA should have. You can switch the EQ from 1073 to 1084.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If UA had some sort of magic way to charge your card automatically every time they release a plugin I'd understand the annoyance expressed by some people here but fortunately that's not the case and each person can demo if interested and buy if he wants.
Old 1 week ago
I love my UAD plugins (I have nearly all of them including the 1073 EQ), I also bought Acustica Audio's Gold for about £35 (sale + loyalty discount) recently.

Pass on this.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search