The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.12 featuring Neve 1084 Preamp & EQ Plug-In
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgos View Post
The same.
If that's the case then I don't think the upgrade price is too crazy but that's just me. I'm not gonna get it because I'm not a fan of Neve EQs to be honest (well, the EQ in the 88RS is really good in my opinion. I do like that one quite a lot). In any case, there is a demo people can try and decide if it's worth the investment. I'm not a guy that purchases stuff all the time. The last plugin I purchased was the VSC-3 last year I think, go figure.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just did a quick shootout and couldn't match exactly with same settings. The 1084 sounds slightly smoother and more analog to me, so I will probably get it. Let's hear some more shootout opinions!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I don't really agree with that, and labeling the programmers as "old and dull" is a bit presumptuous I think.
Ok, I mean their programming methods have become outdated. Don´t you agree that the UAD plugins were ahead of the competition for ten years ago, and now behind it?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeUppsala View Post
Ok, I mean their programming methods have become outdated. Don´t you agree that the UAD plugins were ahead of the competition for ten years ago, and now behind it?
no, not at all and I don‘t agree. The Capitol chambers are top notch and stand out imho
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
How do we know that their programming methods are the same as ten years ago?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don’t agree! I still think there isn’t a better 1176 or LA2A collection (leaving aside Nebula). The Fairchild was scarily close when I was matching the UAD 670 to some files I processed through the hardware on ‘mix:analog’.

The Distressor is superb and although the native Arousor is also amazing - they’re not the same and you can argue the UAD has a thicker sound to it.

The reverbs still hold their own with anything else (IMO).

The lowly LA3A is still surprisingly good - perhaps why they haven’t released a new version yet.

There’s no doubt that there are amazing options in native land and some of them out perform UAD in terms of features but on sonics alone, I think the others are almost still playing a bit of catch up.

Just my thoughts!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
For 10-15 years ago UAD was at the top of the game (also Sonnox and Softube) and they sold plugins like hell. And because everything was so easy for them they didn't evolve as much as the competition; the programmers grow old and dull. So buying an UAD plugin leave you with a "well this one sounds ... well rather ... goodish." No trace of a wow factor.
It is such a nonsense. I have basically every plugin and UAD are still at the top. I have lpads of gear and none gives me wow. It is music that makes me wow, and there is no universal piece of gear that works every time in every context. UAD emulations and Unison technology is groundbreaking. I have done numerous tests comparing 1073+distressor or 1073+CL1B vs UAD unison recordings done with the same performer. And after proper gain stage adjustment and total gain matching od files we all came to the conclusion that I could easily comp a take with alternative options without anyone noticing any difference.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Many times I have almost pressed the buy button on UAD hardware but...I gave it a day to think it over. Each time, I simply could not justify it. Aggravating indeed because they are among the best emulations...
Every time I use their plugins I'm like, yeah, this is so worth it! I could play the piano with UAD Capitol Chambers on top all day long, it's just so good! Or what about their Distressor, Massive Passive, Ocean Ways Studios... they make me happy everytime I put them to good use, as with many of the other UAD plugins I have in my collection.

It's not that UAD is what I use exclusively, but I think it's roughly 50% of my entire plugin collection, don't know exactly and I don't care enough to check.

For me (and I understand this is personal), the purchase of Apollo and UAD-2 hardware (and their plugins) was so much worth it! Zero regrets!

If you time your plugin purchases and feel comfortable buying used (with regards to their hardware), it's not such an expensive ecosystem as many people think it is.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ditto to most of what is being said here.with my work requiring me to be more mobile now i kind of need to move away from the analog fetishism that's plagued me the past 6 odd years,but a lot of what Native has to offer leaves me cold,misses the mark or i need to do too many things to get it only within the ballpark of what i was after.i forked out for a UAD bought one of the packages that gave me quite a variety of what they have to offer and i'm seriously not looking back.need to get out of the habit of checking what's new in the world of Native cause i think a lot of it pales in comparison to most of the UAD stuff. with a few minor exceptions (Unisum for instance)really looking forward to dipping my toes in the FPGA powered DSP of Antelopes plugins when they get some proper Windows drivers out for the AFX2DAW software.heard it in a mates studio before the COVID and it blew me away in it's ability to imbed the processing itself in the program material making it almost sound as if it sounded like that all along (my pet peeve with native plugins is that they sound if though somebody traced over the input sound)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
And you know about their programming methods... how exactly? Are you an insider, have you worked coding at Universal Audio?

In terms of sound most of their plugins sound amazing. They have a couple of flaws regarding user friendliness (no midi control, lack of external sidechain, no resizable GUI) and in these points their behind the competition, yes. But in terms of sonics their in-house developed plugins are consistently top-notch. The Reverbs alone... fantastic!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I´m pretty sure this is psychology in action. We all have bought expensive UAD plugins and many of us DO understand we are fools for doing that. But, then there are some fools that can't realize they are fools. Do I use UAD Neve 33609? No I use IK Multimedia Precision. Do I use UAD Fairchilds? No I use Acustica Ultramarine? UAD Pultec? No I use Noiseash Rule Tec. And the list goes on and and on and on and on ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I´m pretty sure this is psychology in action. We all have bought expensive UAD plugins and many of us DO understand we are fools for doing that. But, then there are some fools that can't realize they are fools. Do I use UAD Neve 33609? No I use IK Multimedia Precision. Do I use UAD Fairchilds? No I use Acustica Ultramarine? UAD Pultec? No I use Noiseash Rule Tec. And the list goes on and and on and on and on ...
Preference: a greater liking for one alternative over another or others.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
In the beginning I was a waves plug in user and I thought they were pretty good. My ears always told me that something wasn’t right whenever I would put them on a nicely recorded tracked it would flatten out or become 2 dimensional. That’s when I bought the Uad system and my ears said right on! Now I have not tried many of the newer plugs. I bet they have come along way. To each there own. I like Uad plugs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

A lot of UAD plug-ins came out years before competitors had anything comparable to offer (33609 in 2006, IK version in 2013?). I agree that if you're patient, you might be able to get something similar for cheaper in the future.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
No, I absolutely don't.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well, it could be that you're not good enough to tell the difference between good plugins and ok plugins. I'm not saying that to be mean, but since you're making the assumption that you're right and that all of us who paid for their plugins are "fools" I reciprocate by assuming that you just might not "have good enough ears".

PS: I own three physical 33609 original units so I know what they sound like. The UA emulation is the only one I've heard that sounds that good and similar.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

UAD plugins are great, the more I use them, the more I like them.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I can't think of a bad UAD plugin. They are always solid.

That said, they don't impress me that much nowadays. Many other plugins do, like Vertigo's, MagicDeathEye, Unisum, Gullfoss, Soothe, etc.

UAD are like PA for me. Good plugins to use across the mix. Slate offerings might be on the same league, but I haven't used them for a long time.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Do I use UAD Neve 33609? No I use IK Multimedia Precision.
Can’t agree with you on this one. UAD Neve 33609 is the best emulation of Neve 33609 in the market, one of the best UAD plugins.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well, it could be that you're not good enough to tell the difference between good plugins and ok plugins. I'm not saying that to be mean, but since you're making the assumption that you're right and that all of us who paid for their plugins are "fools" I reciprocate by assuming that you just might not "have good enough ears".

PS: I own three physical 33609 original units so I know what they sound like. The UA emulation is the only one I've heard that sounds that good and similar.
Or maybe the ones who disagree with med are the ones quoting me in this topic. If I hear that the Precision compressor (IK Multimedia) has more of a 3D feeling, has a less jumpy compression, create a clearer audio picture, am I wrong? No thats what I hear ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
And you know about their programming methods... how exactly? Are you an insider, have you worked coding at Universal Audio?

In terms of sound most of their plugins sound amazing. They have a couple of flaws regarding user friendliness (no midi control, lack of external sidechain, no resizable GUI) and in these points their behind the competition, yes. But in terms of sonics their in-house developed plugins are consistently top-notch. The Reverbs alone... fantastic!
Off course I know NOTHING about programming methods. The proof is in eating the pudding. If it sounds fabulous, the programming is fabulous. And I cannot mention one UAD plugin which is better than the alternative. They are boring so I nearly always end up using stuff from Fabfilter, Acustica, DMG, Fuse Audio, Zynaptiq, Soundtheory (Gullfoss), Arturia, MIA, and so on.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Or maybe the ones who disagree with med are the ones quoting me in this topic. If I hear that the Precision compressor (IK Multimedia) has more of a 3D feeling, has a less jumpy compression, create a clearer audio picture, am I wrong? No thats what I hear ...
I edit, pre-mix and mix for a living. About once or more per month when I'm playing back some dialog for example the following happens;

1. This dialog is a bit dark. Needs some high-end. Grab the EQ, add a bit around 6k or so.

2. Sounds better. Just little bit more.

3. Sounds better, but still not right. Add a bit more.

4. Why does it still not sound right?

5. Whoops! Wrong channel!

In other words, my brain has learned that when I reach out and change an EQ the sound changes. And now my eyes sees me grabbing an EQ that my brain says is for the correct channel and then I "know" that I'm changing to tonal quality of that signal - hence it sounds different... because it always does... except it didn't. So my (incorrect) knowledge of what I'm doing influences my perception of what I'm doing, and it's just wrong.

So, the question is: Just how do you know what you really think is better sounding? Did you get both plugins and then A/B them? While knowing which is which? Or did you have someone else try to create the exact same result using the same emulations from different companies, render files, label them so that only they would know, blind fold you, then play them back to you in a completely random order like 10 times, and you then;

a) correctly identified whether a file was A or B
b) consistently preferred one over the other?

The last time I did a test like this between my hardware 33609 and the UAD-2 version people failed at "a" above. They told me about the difference between playback #3 and #4 , even though those happened to be the same source twice. In other words they couldn't even tell the difference.

I'm willing to bet infinity dollars that if they had known what they were listening to and were allowed to toggle back and forth themselves they would absolutely have had a favourite, along with a justification for it - "It sounds more 3D", "It has more 'air' where the other has more 'body'" etc...

Your brain and ears will fool you. Repeatedly.

So yeah, I maintain that perhaps you don't "hear" as well as you think you do.
Old 2 weeks ago
Same discussions over and over again. I don't understand. Really. I understand disapointment over releases that didn't match what people wanted. But something that is optional to buy with several other options native is really hard to get angry over.
Top it off with a bunch of guys who throws out guesses about everything uad.
And the guys who says you don't have to buy their stuff is uad-defenders at all cost.
What he hell is the problem here people?
Chill out, have a beer for God sake.
Acting like spoiled children who didn't get a pony for birthday present.
Hey cowboys holster your guns. Turn the other cheek.
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
When life gives you 1084 preamps make a freaking good album with the other 2000 compressors you own.
Happy Friday you optimistic jolly personalities out there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I edit, pre-mix and mix for a living. About once or more per month when I'm playing back some dialog for example the following happens;

1. This dialog is a bit dark. Needs some high-end. Grab the EQ, add a bit around 6k or so.

2. Sounds better. Just little bit more.

3. Sounds better, but still not right. Add a bit more.

4. Why does it still not sound right?

5. Whoops! Wrong channel!

In other words, my brain has learned that when I reach out and change an EQ the sound changes. And now my eyes sees me grabbing an EQ that my brain says is for the correct channel and then I "know" that I'm changing to tonal quality of that signal - hence it sounds different... because it always does... except it didn't. So my (incorrect) knowledge of what I'm doing influences my perception of what I'm doing, and it's just wrong.

So, the question is: Just how do you know what you really think is better sounding? Did you get both plugins and then A/B them? While knowing which is which? Or did you have someone else try to create the exact same result using the same emulations from different companies, render files, label them so that only they would know, blind fold you, then play them back to you in a completely random order like 10 times, and you then;

a) correctly identified whether a file was A or B
b) consistently preferred one over the other?

The last time I did a test like this between my hardware 33609 and the UAD-2 version people failed at "a" above. They told me about the difference between playback #3 and #4 , even though those happened to be the same source twice. In other words they couldn't even tell the difference.

I'm willing to bet infinity dollars that if they had known what they were listening to and were allowed to toggle back and forth themselves they would absolutely have had a favourite, along with a justification for it - "It sounds more 3D", "It has more 'air' where the other has more 'body'" etc...

Your brain and ears will fool you. Repeatedly.

So yeah, I maintain that perhaps you don't "hear" as well as you think you do.
The only thing that is important to me is how the plugin reacts in the soundstage. Does the (for example) guitar become less muddy or more. Less 3D or more. Less harsh or more.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
The only thing that is important to me is how the plugin reacts in the soundstage. Does the (for example) guitar become less muddy or more. Less 3D or more. Less harsh or more.
Yeah, I understand, and I understand you either didn't read what I wrote or are ignoring it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
UAD possesses some of the absolute best stuff. Capitol Chambers for one. I feel like it is in its own league. Precision Delay is usually what I use over other delays. It sits in a mix really well while also sounding lively. Distressor is among the best comps out there. I’m using PA purple MC77 mainly these days, but UAD 1176 still beats out all the other 1176 plugins if you ask me. The 176 is even better and I still use that a lot. Avalon 737 is very underrated. It can even match the big sound of the PA consoles quite well. But it has its own lively tube vibe that is very unique. Ampex 102 is easily my fav mix bus tape emulation.

I wish UAD was a bit more customer friendly and had better prices. I’d buy a lot more of their old stuff at $50 Instead of $125. And you only get that $125 with a coupon twice a year maybe. Still, Softube is way worse than UAD now. I feel like I’ve pretty much got what I need and am not desperate to be spending $300 or $500 on plug-in releases from these companies. UAD will probably release something groundbreaking later this year though.

But then we run into DSP instance limitations. You wanna use the new UAD plugin that takes up almost a whole sharc chip on its own? Well, you may have to stop using some of your previous favorites.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

For the life of me I never understand why these threads always turn into a "why the developer is evil" type thing. People love to bash UAudio like someone is holding a gun to their head and forcing them to buy. Same goes for just about every developer as well except for Acustica (their fans seem to be all in.) The irony is that the people complaining about needing UAD hardware to run plugins are the same people who are required to buy a $6000+ computer so they could run a few more Acustica Plugins. At the end of the day it aint that serious, if you don't like their products or the company in general, then go make a post about it somewhere else.

Let's stick to the topic in these posts - the 1084...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgos View Post
Does this mean that you would like them to use more modern and efficient DSP or that you want UAD plugins to be native?
In the year 2020 I would not buy an Intel i7 920 processor. That's what Universal Audio are asking us to do.

Last edited by doom64; 2 weeks ago at 08:23 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
In the year 2020 I would not buy an Intel i7 970 processor. That's what Universal Audio are asking us to do.
So if they used a more up to date DSP you would be ok.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I tested the UAD APIs against native alternatives - the UAD ones sounded better. I would've been fine if they hadn't...but they did.

Also, pretty sure Andrew from Cytomic said something like UA have some of the BEST DSP engineers working for them, absolute rockstars and pioneers in the industry. They can certainly afford to pay them. So, wouldn't be so sure their programming as "gone downhill".

It seems like the people who keep complaining about UAD are the people that want it, but can't have it for whatever reason (money?). The people that can afford to use anything...they're using UAD (aka the Andrew Schepps, Spike Stents, Marc Daniel Nelson, etc of the world). Just look at nearly every single one of a PureMix or Mix with the Master or whatever session breakdown.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search