The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.12 featuring Neve 1084 Preamp & EQ Plug-In
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

UA are masters of optics.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

1073 and 1084 don't null. Part of it has to do with different low-end roll-off and saturation points, but they behave differently as in freq vs thd.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
UA is a money sucking machine in the tradition of Apple and Microsoft and Amazon. Its that kind of mentality.
I believe society is on the verge of reevaluating all of this, now with Covid19 and mass poverty at the door.
Let us hope that those who claim UA is a money sucking machine do not fantasize about sucking UA dry of their labour for free.

Human nature is still human nature without money. With money at least there is an incentive to be paid to do work that benefits other people in some way or another. Money can be used for bad too, which is not a surprise as with anything that involves free willed human beings.

Selling plugins is not in the bad category though .. or is it? Is UA preying upon the poor sheeple and their desire for yet another Neve emulation?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
That's obviously true, but I'll voice my (what I feel like is fair and legitimate) annoyance at their current marketing direction:

-Neve 1073 $299
-Neve 1084 $299
-Neve Preamp $149
-Luna Summing $299

They should all be the same thing. They've at least attempted to save you some money with the Neve Complete Bundle, but the Luna Summing isn't included in there. I recognize their justification for that because it's "different teams" developing Luna modules, but at this point it might as well be another entirely separate company...

So yes, sigh... ANOTHER Neve plugin.
Well... Luna is free, so yeah, they charge big bucks for the extra's. It is a company, they have a business model.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtrbn View Post
1073 and 1084 don't null. Part of it has to do with different low-end roll-off and saturation points, but they behave differently as in freq vs thd.
At first glance they appeared to be different - however when playing with gain into the 1073 and 1084 you could get closer and closer to a null.
So it seems UAD pick slightly differing base values for gain to ensure the two models don't null on default settings. These also differ at each point of the EQ - we're only talking tiny differences here but enough to throw you off the scent.

The screenshot is with the EQs engaged at [email protected] and full -at 22Hz and we end up with a -58db signal. Similar results can be obtained at different frequencies but gain had to be rematched - so in my humble opinion these are identical models with very, very slightly different gain curves (under -0.5db difference across the curve.) to give the illusion of them being a different model.
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.12 featuring Neve 1084 Preamp & EQ Plug-In-nevecon.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Not to derail the thread, but might as well post what I'm talking about. Default settings in 1073, thd vs frequency. Looks like slew rate distortion, haven't been able to replicate in 1084.
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.12 featuring Neve 1084 Preamp & EQ Plug-In-screenshot-2020-05-13-20.46.47.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
UA is a money sucking machine in the tradition of Apple and Microsoft and Amazon. Its that kind of mentality.
I believe society is on the verge of reevaluating all of this, now with Covid19 and mass poverty at the door.
Quoted for truth
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
Selling plugins is not in the bad category though .. or is it? Is UA preying upon the poor sheeple and their desire for yet another Neve emulation?
UA compared to the likes of, say, Monsanto- is a wonderful and consumer-supporting company.

But since this is a forum focusing solely on the audio universe, then relatively speaking UA is the Monsanto of audio software companies
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Let’s compare it to stuff we can afford for 10 pages instead of talking about the product.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I read this is modeled on 8 different 1084's, so different units than the 1073. So there should be a slight difference no matter what. Did their modeling technology get better in the last few years since they did the 1073 model? If so, then I would buy it.... Probably not, since that would have been clearly stated in their marketing... UA please confirm!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
UA compared to the likes of, say, Monsanto- is a wonderful and consumer-supporting company.

But since this is a forum focusing solely on the audio universe, then relatively speaking UA is the Monsanto of audio software companies
The comparison does not make sense and you will have to back it up with facts to make it work.

Do you plan to try the demo for the UAD Neve 1084 preamp and eq?
Old 3 weeks ago
I’m loving the 1084! Great job UA, it’s one of my hardware favorites. The 1084’s and calrec’s have a similar mojo to me and this plugin has that thing to my ears and fingers. It’s been about a year since I used those hardware units regularly - but it feels and sounds authentic to me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

UAD Neve 1084, mixing with Mike

https://youtu.be/DvEG8zQ6-mI
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Yawn..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Could be waiting a long time, people have been saying that for ten years.
And people like myself will keep saying it anytime there is some new product that catches our interest but is locked behind an outdated dongle.

Not to troll but just to remind UA that they are leaving money on the table by using 12 year old hardware.

2008 feels like forever ago. Flo Rida's "Low" was the number one song that year. Taylor Swift had only two albums out. The smartphone was just becoming "a thing".
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post

Not to troll but just to remind UA that they are leaving money on the table by using 12 year old hardware.
Apparently not enough to make them want to change their business model yet.

I'm pretty sure all of us who are invested in UAD wish we could use these tools without the DSP limits.

On a side note, I really like the new 1084.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau777 View Post
Apparently not enough to make them want to change their business model yet.

I'm pretty sure all of us who are invested in UAD wish we could use these tools without the DSP limits.

On a side note, I really like the new 1084.
Many times I have almost pressed the buy button on UAD hardware but...I gave it a day to think it over. Each time, I simply could not justify it. Aggravating indeed because they are among the best emulations...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Does this mean that you would like them to use more modern and efficient DSP or that you want UAD plugins to be native?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I’ve tried the 1084 this nightand is really powerful
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

-Neve 1073 $299
-Neve 1084 $299
-Neve Preamp $149
-Luna Summing $299

They should all be the same thing.
So true. Been a UA customer for a long time, have their hardwares and dsp processors, all I have now is disappointment to their highly hyped marketing and blood sucking selling strategy. They are trying to fool their customers.

For all future UAD users, I want to say, don’t expect their plugins as a replacement to hardwares, none of them has the hardware mojo. Don’t be fooled by their marketing tricks. You don’t need that much of UAD plugins, only 10-13 of all their plugins are actually useful, all others plugins have better alternatives elsewhere.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Oh give me a break, haha. From what I’ve been told about the guts and my experience comparing a racked up 1073 and 1084 side by side, the preamps are and sound exactly the same. The only difference is more EQ options and points on the 1084. I don’t think the EQ is a small difference, the extra stuff on the 1084 is great! However, to pitch this as another unison preamp at $300 is ridiculous. It should have been an extension of the 1073 plugin where you can just change the EQ around. How many freaking versions of the same preamp topology do we have from them now? It’s getting crazy!

I love my Apollo and UAD stuff, but there’s no way I’m going to shell out $300 for ANOTHER copy of my 1073 plugin that has a few more EQ points.
I absolutely agree.

I've generally defended a lot of what UA does and offers but this is just nonsense. As far as I know the 1084 is just another parametric EQ board added to the 1073. They're like legos in real life. Just add boards and you get more functionality.

If they sound different then the only reasonable difference should be that the 1084 sounds more "accurate". But if that's the case then it should all have been a mkII or mkIII or whatever where you get to choose between the two versions. But not two separate plugins.

Hopefully they'll come to their senses. This is exactly the kind of stuff that should give companies a poor rep.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I absolutely agree.

I've generally defended a lot of what UA does and offers but this is just nonsense. As far as I know the 1084 is just another parametric EQ board added to the 1073. They're like legos in real life. Just add boards and you get more functionality.

If they sound different then the only reasonable difference should be that the 1084 sounds more "accurate". But if that's the case then it should all have been a mkII or mkIII or whatever where you get to choose between the two versions. But not two separate plugins.

Hopefully they'll come to their senses. This is exactly the kind of stuff that should give companies a poor rep.

As long as their aggressive marketing continues to fool throngs of newbies who are excited with getting into producing music, they will not really care if the entire gearslutz forum boycotts their system

Plus there are always the guys on here who will defend them them no matter what: "iF yOu dOn'T LiKe iT tHeN DoN'T bUY IT!!!!1"
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

It seems to me that a lot of the differences between UAD 1073 and 1084 might come from unit-to-unit variation. From the UAD forums:

Quote:
... the preamp is essentially the same as that in the 1073 (and Neve Preamp/1290), but re-voiced to match a particular unit's total gain, clip points, transformer response, system filtering, and other details that make one unit different from another. The EQ is expanded and the places where there are shared filter designs, those filters/amplifiers are also re-voiced as necessary to match the feature set and response of the 1084. We had eight modules in house to study, and went with the one that gave the the most middle of the road/expected response, based on the design intention as expressed in the circuit diagram.
and in another post:

Quote:
We usually target among as many units as we can get our hands on, and pick one among them that best represents the circuit when studying the unit to unit variation. Some designs (Trident comes to mind) have a lot of unit to unit variation. Others like Neve, have less on average. So for example, we could refit to a different 1073 module than the one we did and get variation in total gain, clip points, transformer response, system filtering, EQ filtering and other details and get a difference like you might get between modules in an 80 Series console. In the case of the 1084, it is a similar enough circuit design overall that it could be largely repurposed from the 1073 and re-voiced to fit the 1084 golden unit.
https://uadforum.com/general-discuss...ll-shanks.html
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
As long as their aggressive marketing continues to fool throngs of newbies who are excited with getting into producing music, they will not really care if the entire gearslutz forum boycotts their system

Plus there are always the guys on here who will defend them them no matter what: "iF yOu dOn'T LiKe iT tHeN DoN'T bUY IT!!!!1"
Its not per se a defence of UAD (although some may have that intention), from what I understand its more about the general derailing of the focus away from sound and functionality of a product into a sob story of unfair prices.

People ask you guys to consider just stop going on and on about pricing when a new product should be about the product itself. They dont care about the pricing politics and feel that its given far too much weight of discussion.

Personally I dont mind pricing complaints, it highlights where market expectation is at these days, but the numbers dont reflect necessarily the target audience. What is true is the voting power of our wallets dictate markets and so it is after all simple - cast your vote by not handing over exorbitant amounts for a shiny new sell.

I do think this new release like most UA releases is way way overpriced but I think UA should price things according to their values and pricing plan. Guys, there are so many good alternatives at far better pricing tiers, so just choose the ones that suit your budget and image. Your ears and time are the only thing of true value!

Last edited by Insanelysane; 3 weeks ago at 11:30 PM.. Reason: Silly typo
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just like Neve released the 1084 as an improvement over the previous 1073 (the improvement was basically just that extra band) now UA released the 1084. I can't see the problem with that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

For 10-15 years ago UAD was at the top of the game (also Sonnox and Softube) and they sold plugins like hell. And because everything was so easy for them they didn't evolve as much as the competition; the programmers grow old and dull. So buying an UAD plugin leave you with a "well this one sounds ... well rather ... goodish." No trace of a wow factor.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Just like Neve released the 1084 as an improvement over the previous 1073 (the improvement was basically just that extra band) now UA released the 1084. I can't see the problem with that.
I think what some (me and at least one other person) are objecting to is that the 1073 and 1084 are essentially made of the same circuits and the difference in hardware is just that the latter has another EQ band.

If you look at it from that perspective then if you don't own either then of course you should buy the 1084. You can always not use a band, right?

But it's a bit annoying for a person that bought a 1073 and then you're all of a sudden not looking at a reasonably priced upgrade to a 1084, but instead you have to buy a second plugin. And "all" you're getting is that extra EQ band - assuming they made them to sound similar in nature.

With the hardware of course it made sense for Neve to release a new module with an extra band - it was more flexible. But if you bought say eight 1073 modules for your console then if you bought eight 1084 modules you'd be sitting on sixteen total. The same doesn't apply conceptually with software.

Perhaps they did actually code the two differently, but it would make sense to me to just double up the EQ band instead of doing that. In real life it really is essentially just the same building blocks and literally the same "flavor" of circuitry. With hardware you know you get the extra channel(s), with software maybe you're paying for a new emulation but maybe you're not really doing that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeUppsala View Post
For 10-15 years ago UAD was at the top of the game (also Sonnox and Softube) and they sold plugins like hell. And because everything was so easy for them they didn't evolve as much as the competition; the programmers grow old and dull. So buying an UAD plugin leave you with a "well this one sounds ... well rather ... goodish." No trace of a wow factor.
I don't really agree with that, and labeling the programmers as "old and dull" is a bit presumptuous I think.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I think what some (me and at least one other person) are objecting to is that the 1073 and 1084 are essentially made of the same circuits and the difference in hardware is just that the latter has another EQ band.

If you look at it from that perspective then if you don't own either then of course you should buy the 1084. You can always not use a band, right?

But it's a bit annoying for a person that bought a 1073 and then you're all of a sudden not looking at a reasonably priced upgrade to a 1084, but instead you have to buy a second plugin. And "all" you're getting is that extra EQ band - assuming they made them to sound similar in nature.

With the hardware of course it made sense for Neve to release a new module with an extra band - it was more flexible. But if you bought say eight 1073 modules for your console then if you bought eight 1084 modules you'd be sitting on sixteen total. The same doesn't apply conceptually with software.

Perhaps they did actually code the two differently, but it would make sense to me to just double up the EQ band instead of doing that. In real life it really is essentially just the same building blocks and literally the same "flavor" of circuitry. With hardware you know you get the extra channel(s), with software maybe you're paying for a new emulation but maybe you're not really doing that.
I understand what you're saying. What's the upgrade price for the 1073 owners? I have the Neve Bundle and it's $149 for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I understand what you're saying. What's the upgrade price for the 1073 owners? I have the Neve Bundle and it's $149 for me.
The same.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search