The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering The Mix Releases MIXROOM plugin
Old 1 week ago
News Desk Editor

Mastering The Mix Releases MIXROOM plugin-mixroomproductnew_540x.png

Mastering The Mix Releases MIXROOM plugin - An intelligent EQ that guides you to set the perfect balance of richness and clarity whether you’re working on a vocal, a synth or mastering your music.

Getting a clear and balanced sound in the mid to high frequencies can be a time- consuming challenge. It can be frustrating to try a number of different EQ curves and still end up with a muddy, dull, thin, or harsh sounding song.

Introducing MIXROOM, an intelligent EQ that guides you to set the perfect balance of richness and clarity whether you’re working on a vocal, a synth or mastering your music.

MIXROOM analyses your audio and shows you which frequencies could be adjusted to improve your sound.

Key Benefits:
✓ Specifically designed EQ filters that deliver maximum clarity & transparency in the mid and high-frequency range.
✓ Genre and channel-specific EQ target suggestions to take out the guesswork and give you pro-sounding results in seconds.
✓ Create your own EQ targets by importing reference tracks so you can get closer to the sound of your favorite tracks.
✓ Level match pointer on output gain to help you make sure you're making real improvements to your music.
✓ Super-fast workflow with easily adjustable EQ bands and mid-side functionality.
✓Clear and immersive mixing experience with the retina 3D & fully resizable user interface.

How To Use MIXROOM in 4 Simple Steps
1. Load On Master or individual Channel
You can use MIXROOM to EQ anything in your session. It works great on vocals, instruments, grouped buses, or on your master channel.
2a. Choose A Preset
To get the most value from MIXROOM, start by selecting a preset that best suits the material you’re working on.
2b. Or Create A Target
You can create your own target values to help you get closer to the sound of your favorite tracks. Do this by clicking the target icon in the bottom left corner and importing reference tracks.
3. Shape Your Sound
Now monitor a full-bodied section of your audio. If you’re using MIXROOM for mastering then monitor the drop or chorus. The Target EQ Curve takes out the guesswork and helps you dial in pro-sounding results in seconds. The ‘Add Smart Bands’ button will instantly load EQ bands that match the Target EQ Curve to give you a great starting point. MIXROOM’s unique and specifically designed EQ filters give you maximum clarity & transparency when shaping your audio.
4. Level Match
The EQ adjustments may have changed the perceived loudness of your audio making it difficult to hear whether the changes you’ve made are improving your sound. Hover your mouse over the bypass button to open the output gain and level match pointer. Match the gain slider to the level match pointer to match the perceived loudness of your audio before it passed through MIXROOM. This allows you subjectively hear how the changes have affected your sound.

Hear The Difference!
Whether your audio is muddy, dull, thin, harsh, or even almost perfect, MIXROOM helps you elevate your mix to get the perfect balance of richness and clarity.

Free Trial: 15 Days. No Credit Card Details Required
Price (inc VAT): £49.00GBP / ~$61.00USD / ~€56.00EUR

For more information: https://www.masteringthemix.com/products/MIXROOM
Overview Video: https://youtu.be/h5z8PMImKWQ
Full Walkthrough Video: https://youtu.be/QAH-5RFJzfQ
Attached Thumbnails
Mastering The Mix Releases MIXROOM plugin-mixroomproductnew_540x.png  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Lookin' good!! congrats on getting it out!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Can't wait to try this out! I love BassRoom.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Oooh
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Look forward to trying this but the email for the demo is taking an age to appear.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Look forward to trying this but the email for the demo is taking an age to appear.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Just when i'm out of the studio for a day. Hope to read some reviews soon!
Good luck with the launch MTM.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I've learned a lot from their BASSROOM plugin and hope that this plug will be equally a good learning tool to get elements closer to where they should be. Very excited!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I got to play with the demo for about an hour today so far and I’ll be buying tonight. I love BASSROOM and Mixroom is just as good if not better because the bands it impacts are far more immediate. The presets are fantastic and I love that you can add bands. I delivered some mixes this morning and mixroom is all over them.

If you’re stuck waiting for the demo email, check your old emails. If you requested a demo in the past the same download link will include this one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Here's a post Tom from Mastering The Mix posted in the Bassroom thread. Some people over there were having issues getting the demo. It contains a direct link to the demo. No waiting on an email, just click the link and download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteringtheMix View Post
Hi Gearslutz

Here's a direct download for MIXROOM for those who can't get it from our page. (This happens if you're already signed up to our list, there is a link to on that page to get the installers if you're already signed up).

Thanks to all those who have tried it/bought it already. The email goes out later today, so you haven't missed it.

Regarding EQ matching, our products are different from other EQs as other EQ match features we've seen use the 'peak' of individual frequencies, which is ineffective. It's like trying to make good EQ decisions based on simply looking at a peak frequency analyzer. We use a unique algorithm based on how the human ear perceives tonal balance, which is why both BASSROOM and MIXROOM deliver what many of our customers describe as 'magic results' (or similar).

Percentage slider feature request noted.

You're all awesome, thank you.

Tom.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Whenever I test an auto-eq-match type plug I like to see how it adjust my top reference tracks first. If it tries to drastically change the balance of a song that has about 1 billion views on YT then I know it's not gonna work for me! BUT. Mixroom has an interesting take and the sound...I wouldn't say was better. But slightly different. And in it's own right. Pretty darn good!

So I did a quick mock-up of tracks inside Metric AB and ran them thru some of the presets matching genre in Mixroom. The 1st pic is Mixroom's take on my top goto reference track for modern/alt rock. The 3rd and 4th pics are Mixroom's adjustments to my custom pink noise references. All within 'tolerance' and usable. I did notice that creating my own user references out of 2 hit songs and my extended lo-hi pink noise got me in my usual EQ adjustment 'ballpark' really fast!

This may be a game changer for me. Certainly would be a one stop shop if Bassroom was built inside Mixroom. But I will have to wait and for right now I'm cool with that. More testing to see how it holds up vs my current tools. But I know it already gives me a '2nd opinion' and that could be the true use of Mixroom in my workflow. 2 weeks to decide.
Attached Thumbnails
Mastering The Mix Releases MIXROOM plugin-my-top-alternative-rock-reference-mixroom-adjustments.png   Mastering The Mix Releases MIXROOM plugin-mixroom-adjustments-my-extended-lo-hi-pink-noise.png   Mastering The Mix Releases MIXROOM plugin-mixroom-adjustments-my-tight-rock-pink-noise.png  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

It will be interesting to see how this compares to Ozone's Mastering Assistant
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Why yes. I do have an acoustic Pop'ish track that is mixed on the 'warm' side. Let's see what Mixroom has to say about it using the Pop Warm Preset. Looks like it hit the spot! Just had to split the difference to smooth the boost/cuts and was off to the races. Like I said. It is great so far as a '2nd opinion'. That 'Buy Now' button will not last much longer...
Attached Thumbnails
Mastering The Mix Releases MIXROOM plugin-pop-warm-preset-hit-spot.png  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

yuuuuge fan of Tom & MTM's offerings.

Buying Reference a few years ago was a big eye-opener and literally changed how I listen and reference music in the studio. There have been other tools out there I tried and even using frequency analyzers didn't get my anywhere near what I was wanting to hear in my head.

It was a tool that made me go back and hear - "man my mixes suck", or I'd nail one, but was missing the consistency that is critical.

Then came bassroom and helped get that lowend in the pocket that it wouldn't be a barren wasteland or boomy swamp.

Bassroom and Reference (among other things live on my master-buss).

Now I'm going to have to cancel the dinner date with the misses to play with MIXROOM tonight.

I recently purchased Gullfoss after demoing it for a few days and see this working in complete tandem after MR.

Kicking around a idea where this will fit on my master buss...

True Iron -> Magnetite -> Bassroom -> Mixroom -> Gullfoss -> DSM3 -> TDR LimiterGE

Kick ass work again @ mtm !

Keeping an eye on this thread to see other folks uses of this as the days roll by.

-pm-
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Excited to try it. Watching the examples video it would be great to have a mono button for quick checking of mono compatibility especially when making changes to the side in MS.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
The 3rd and 4th pics are Mixroom's adjustments to my custom pink noise references. All within 'tolerance' and usable. I did notice that creating my own user references out of 2 hit songs and my extended lo-hi pink noise got me in my usual EQ adjustment 'ballpark' really fast!
Would you be willing to share the pink noise preset you made?
It's usually a good universal reference for comparison, it would be nice if one was included.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Would you be willing to share the pink noise preset you made?
It's usually a good universal reference for comparison, it would be nice if one was included.
+1
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
... But I know it already gives me a '2nd opinion' and that could be the true use of Mixroom in my workflow. 2 weeks to decide.
Exactly my first experience. It confirmed that what I was already doing with the EQ was probably correct as it made very similar suggestions. A very useful ally when you work alone on your own projects in an untreated room and don't have the ears you once used to.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Loving it. My only criticism is that there should be an Acoustic Guitar preset - it's obviously missing one.
Old 1 week ago
ukm
Gear Maniac

Very nice results so far. I still have to find a reference for jazz rock with brass section.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
Exactly my first experience. It confirmed that what I was already doing with the EQ was probably correct as it made very similar suggestions. A very useful ally when you work alone on your own projects in an untreated room and don't have the ears you once used to.
Yep.
It's like having a mixing engineer sitting next to you saying 'how about we balance the mix like this instead?'. If you feed it a similar reference track to yours, it most definitely improves the mix, in my experience.

I've had several eye opening cases, where I thought my mix was good, but after running it through Mixroom, I got a bit of a 'ooh, that's how it's supposed to sound' feeling.
Often suggestions are rather severe - like + 8 dB high end boost, but once you dial it back to a reasonable > 3 dB boost, it's just spot on.
Old 1 week ago
Maybe this is something everyone already do and in that case Im wasting letters here.

But I found that you should always finetune the freq of the band when setting up smart bands automatically.
Because depending on the arrangement and chords of the song some freq might sounds better than others. So when Mixroom sets up the bands, take each band and slide them back and forth and see if something sounds better than others.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceover Guy View Post
Loving it. My only criticism is that there should be an Acoustic Guitar preset - it's obviously missing one.
I'll probably use NI Strummed Acoustic as a reference, those guitars are really well recorded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcana View Post

I've had several eye opening cases, where I thought my mix was good, but after running it through Mixroom, I got a bit of a 'ooh, that's how it's supposed to sound' feeling.
Often suggestions are rather severe - like + 8 dB high end boost, but once you dial it back to a reasonable > 3 dB boost, it's just spot on.
I was just about to export a track and thought, why not give it a shot?
The difference was huge! As soon as I bypassed it I thought something was wrong because my mix sounded way off.

I think it would be great if there was a 'strength' % parameter like most matching EQs. Setting it to 70-80% would allow keeping some of the nuance of the original mix without having to adjust each band individually.

It would be nice to know how multiple reference tracks work, does it just average them all?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Well I bought this on spec since Bassroom is so good, and only just got round to trying it.

It's lovely so far, and it really is a learning tool. On a bass track, it has just done some totally bizarre boosts (really quite big) that I would never have thought of, and the bass sounds a lot better. This is really telling me which frequency ranges I am neglecting in getting sounds that are in the right ballpark. I have then been trying to reproduce the same boosts on some character EQs, as if I have been taught by a decent engineer to boost a certain region.

For acoustic guitar, I used a favourite track (Late in the Day by Supergrass), and selected only the intro which has a naked acoustic guitar. Then I used that as the target and got a very nice EQ adjustment. I then sweetened further with a conventional EQ.

So for those who, like me, are slowly training their ears without a pro sitting next to them giving advice, this is a fantastic teacher.

I have Smart EQ 2, and I like Mixroom better because it is simpler. It gives you a few EQ bands that get you in the ball park, which you can easily learn from. i.e. you don't get some horribly complicated matching curve.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
I'll probably use NI Strummed Acoustic as a reference, those guitars are really well recorded.

I was just about to export a track and thought, why not give it a shot?
The difference was huge! As soon as I bypassed it I thought something was wrong because my mix sounded way off.

I think it would be great if there was a 'strength' % parameter like most matching EQs. Setting it to 70-80% would allow keeping some of the nuance of the original mix without having to adjust each band individually.

It would be nice to know how multiple reference tracks work, does it just average them all?
Yes, MIXROOM takes the average tonal balance of all tracks loaded / loops selected.
Old 1 week ago
1st impression this Mixroom sounds great so far, works well with Bassroom!! Good learning tool as well.

KP
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
I'm with you! A nice tool for ears that have been worn down my raging guitars for many years....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Guys. One thing to keep in mind. There are many ways to EQ your tracks. Most likely if you liked where you were with a mix and Mixroom suggestions are 'maxed' out it's time to load the reference track you were using on a channel and 'see' what mixroom thinks of that? If using a preset on a well produced song gets you the same results....it's not your mix. It's the preset.

Just scroll thru the presets. Different genres and such will give you an idea of just how widely things can be changed tonally and still be 'right'.

Same with Bassroom. It's not automatic. It gives you a 'range' of possibilities and it's up to you to choose which option 'fits'.

What I do like about Mixroom as an assistant is it does not like my idea of where 2k should be.....this guy. He's got opinions!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Just scroll thru the presets. Different genres and such will give you an idea of just how widely things can be changed tonally and still be 'right'.

Same with Bassroom. It's not automatic. It gives you a 'range' of possibilities and it's up to you to choose which option 'fits'.
If you have a reference track in your mind that is a great example of your sonic goals, then use that to create your own target. The presets are great starting points, but loading your own targets is where the magic really happens. Here's a video of some before and after examples as well loading your own reference tracks.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Love both Bassroom and Mixroom. One thing that bothers me though is the overlapping range around 300Hz. Isn't that counterproductive in a mastering or mixing situation where you want to work with both plugins? Which one should go first?
Will the changes made in Mixroom affect the changes made with Bassroom and vice versa?
Are you planning a third product which will be the combination of Mixroom and Bassroom in one single plugin?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search