The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering The Mix Releases MIXROOM plugin
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Mix knob would be useful and saving our own reference tracks in like user folder.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkom View Post
Mix knob would be useful and saving our own reference tracks in like user folder.
We're looking into a wet/dry mix slider and hope to include it in the next release.

You can save your own reference targets in MIXROOM using your DAW plugin wrapper More info here: https://www.masteringthemix.com/pages/mixroom-manual
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteringtheMix View Post
Thanks for the candid feedback.

Regarding the presets, we’re using amazing sounding audio that is a great representation of the genre/channel in question. Often, they work really well.
Well, that's strange because based on the (admittedly small but totally consistent) sample from this thread, your presets are performing very poorly for everyone who has commented -- and you can add me to the list.

Fortunately, it's not a dealbreaker -- because like the others -- I then seemed to get good results with my own references. (That is...until Mixroom started crashing my Logic 10.4.7 project upon opening. Hopefully your fix works for me too.)

But you asked what you could do to make the plugin more initially appealing....and judging by this thread, one answer seems obvious: revisit the presets! I'm a fan of Bassroom...so like the previous poster...this is intended to be constructive and wanting to see you succeed.

In my brief experimenting with Mixroom -- before getting my crashes and having to remove it -- it seemed to have good potential. Hopefully my bug has now been addressed or will be soon. And then you'll redo presets, add the wet/dry slider -- and it'll be great!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongShark View Post
Well, that's strange because based on the (admittedly small but totally consistent) sample from this thread, your presets are performing very poorly for everyone who has commented -- and you can add me to the list.

Fortunately, it's not a dealbreaker -- because like the others -- I then seemed to get good results with my own references. (That is...until Mixroom started crashing my Logic 10.4.7 project upon opening. Hopefully your fix works for me too.)

But you asked what you could do to make the plugin more initially appealing....and judging by this thread, one answer seems obvious: revisit the presets! I'm a fan of Bassroom...so like the previous poster...this is intended to be constructive and wanting to see you succeed.

In my brief experimenting with Mixroom -- before getting my crashes and having to remove it -- it seemed to have good potential. Hopefully my bug has now been addressed or will be soon. And then you'll redo presets, add the wet/dry slider -- and it'll be great!
Thanks for this! The latest download for MIXROOM can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/top0bffh0n...XROOM.zip?dl=1

If the issue persists, drop us a support request and we'll be happy to take a look.

Thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

I’m finding the presets very useful but there’s room for improvement. I think that the track presets are generally better than the genre presets. Over all I’d say that it’s one of the better plugins that I own and a steal for the price. Can’t wait to see what’s next from these guys. They’re killin’ it.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the candid feedback.

Regarding the presets, we’re using amazing sounding audio that is a great representation of the genre/channel in question. Often, they work really well. But nothing beats being able to put in your own reference track that has instrumental and arrangement similarities to the track you’re working on.

I’ll discuss this more with my team and see if we can find a solution that helps with this...I have a ‘Suggested reference track based on the audio analysis’ idea in mind that could pull from a huge online database of amazing sounding songs in various genres...
Yeh I think this would be helpful to be better able to baseline how Mixroom is working & explore its presets to comprehend functionality (maybe 2/3 suggested tracks vs a couple of presets, possibly even a before & after?).

I suspect similarities in instrumentation and arrangement are more significant to presets being successful (or not) so maybe a more detailed description of your presets could also be of value?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
We're looking into a wet/dry mix slider and hope to include it in the next release.

You can save your own reference targets in MIXROOM using your DAW plugin wrapper More info here: https://www.masteringthemix.com/pages/mixroom-manual
One question ... what is a manual?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have a ‘Suggested reference track based on the audio analysis’ idea in mind that could pull from a huge online database of amazing sounding songs in various genres...
Now you're talking! Brilliant. Include a key detector, BPM info, and style selection and you have made this a must have!

I usually use 3 popular references to calculate the target. Knowing my mix should be somewhere in between. Having a second opinion on reference would bring 'new ears' to the table. Do it!!!!!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

I'm likely being an idiot (which would be the first time ever) , but i no longer see the Add Smart Bands button in the new version. Anyone else having this problem? (Logic 10.4.7 MacOS 10.14.6).

Also it still says it's version 1.0.0 although the build date is May22, so I assume it's the new one.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:

Doesn’t have to be a real wet/dry slider, but more of a percentage slider.
But perhaps that’s what you mean.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
Doesn’t have to be a real wet/dry slider, but more of a percentage slider.
But perhaps that’s what you mean.
Indeed!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

@ MasteringtheMix

Tom:

- analyse audio
- 3 matches from your database, each biased slightly with slightly different algorithms favouring different characteristics
- have 3 slots where these matches are applied, with the ability to at a click instantly toggle and A/B between all three and original
- strength slider for each slot
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Master Strength Slider.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

I think the track presets are not something that should work that well anyway in general. If you don't reference your track against something with similar instrumentation, how on earth can you expect the reference to make sense? So I think fixing the presets is basically impossible.

The track presets, meanwhile, make more sense, since you are referencing a nice recording of a similar instrument. Even there, it's not perfect (e.g. the key of the song will dictate EQ choices, the exact guitar, the room, the amp, etc). But I've got some lovely results from the track presets so far, using them as a guide that I can explore further.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
I also found poor results using presets, and fantastic results using reference tracks. Which is odd because Bassroom presets work well.
I had the opposite. One preset gave me a decent result but the reference tracks resulted in a muddy mess. What genre of music are you working in? Mine is electronic dance.

I got much better results using Ozone 9 Mastering Assistant. I have Bassroom and would like get good results with Mixroom too but so far it is eluding me and based on the good results others are having I don't know why that is.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
I had the opposite. One preset gave me a decent result but the reference tracks resulted in a muddy mess. What genre of music are you working in? Mine is electronic dance.

I got much better results using Ozone 9 Mastering Assistant. I have Bassroom and would like get good results with Mixroom too but so far it is eluding me and based on the good results others are having I don't know why that is.
Hi

We fixed a sample rate issue that was giving some users a warped reading when combining different sample rates in the targets and your DAW. This may explain your issue, but if not, we can look into this a little deeper with you if you’d like. Would you be able to send over a the audio you’re using MIXROOM on as well as the target reference please?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi

We fixed a sample rate issue that was giving some users a warped reading when combining different sample rates in the targets and your DAW. This may explain your issue, but if not, we can look into this a little deeper with you if you’d like. Would you be able to send over a the audio you’re using MIXROOM on as well as the target reference please?
By any chance did you guys fix the sample rate issue in Reference as well?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

I'll be one of the few who thinks the presets work fine. At least the Pop Soul Chief preset, which has become a "ain't broke don't fix it" go to for me in both Bassroom and Mixroom. Maybe it's the material I work on, the way my ear hears things, or my monitors, but Mixroom removed the harshness that I hadn't even noticed while increasing clarity at the same time. The same way Bassroom made my low end fat when I didn't realize it was thin. No going back now!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike110492 View Post
By any chance did you guys fix the sample rate issue in Reference as well?
REFERENCE is next on our list for a considerable update!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Well, I’m definitely having some mixed results with reference vs presets in mixroom and bassroom.

On one of my own productions, using the reference tracks works great, and the presets were terrible. In mixroom, the presets made broad - two wide bands - and sever boosts that sound like garbage.

I did a quick “master” for a friend on his totally unmixed tracks and the reference tracks were terrible. However using the house deep preset in Bassroom and one of the house presets in mixroom worked really well, he was pleasantly shocked.

Also, using the daw wrapper doesn’t address issues like mine where I may be using multiple daws, as well as using the same set of reference tracks across Bassroom and mixroom.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
Well, I’m definitely having some mixed results with reference vs presets in mixroom and bassroom.

On one of my own productions, using the reference tracks works great, and the presets were terrible. In mixroom, the presets made broad - two wide bands - and sever boosts that sound like garbage.

I did a quick “master” for a friend on his totally unmixed tracks and the reference tracks were terrible. However using the house deep preset in Bassroom and one of the house presets in mixroom worked really well, he was pleasantly shocked.

Also, using the daw wrapper doesn’t address issues like mine where I may be using multiple daws, as well as using the same set of reference tracks across Bassroom and mixroom.
Thanks for this feedback. We’ve noted it and will see if we can work out a solution to the cross DAW preset issue.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I am happy to say both reference tracks and presets works great so far!

Very useful tool for me. Love it.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Maybe the result is the same, but I'd prefer a % or 'strength' parameter. This could also allow over 100% would could be useful for channels or groups.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Minus % would allow for carving space. Like the Ableton Live EQ8 which can go +/- 200%.
Old 1 day ago
Some great suggestions
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search