The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apple releases Logic Pro X 10.5
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
I agre 100%

The problem with today is that many people feel a sense on entitlement....I just don't get it.
The funny thing is that if he had just said, it would be a killer idea if Apple invested some money and recorded some great sample libraries to include with Logic Pro, I would totally agree. But to say, Logic included plugins suck and it’s bad for acoustic music, that’s just not true.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
I'm finding this entire "New Release Thread" Logic 10.5 very strange and it seems like it should be moved to the moan zone.
Typical gearslutz thread but I feel the PDC pain part!

Guys complaining about "real instruments" inside Logic.. get a grip.. get some musicians to actually record the melodies you composed. Find the magic chain, man this even complaining they crying out loud.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
IMO the engineering is not bad but a little avant- guarde and off kilter. I think that’s part of what makes her music interesting in general.
I think her songs are good and it´s a brilliant idea from apple
to include one song as a logic template
for young people to learn arranging.

On the other hand it´s a testament to what happens
when musicians without major audio experience
produce themselves. In the end there´s hardly anything
one can do in mixing anymore.

The positive example would have been Björk in the 90s,
which I think is what Billy could eventually become in our time.
Experimental, well produced electronic vocal music.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post

Jeez, this is so gosh-darn dire, that the academy gave Finneas Producer of the Year.

Man, I've been tracking, producing, and mixing bands for almost 20 years now, and I learned good stuff from that demo project. The fact that he used all stock Logic instruments and plugins on that particular song, and then had his 13-year-old sister sing on it…yeah that's bush league all the way. It got them a major label deal and the freedom to write whatever they wanted to try, warts and all.
Old 23 hours ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
The question is, how big could Billie Eilish have been if gearslutz had had a say in the mixing of her album? One can only wonder.
Haha, can you imagine - a 100 page thread bickering about which vintage plugin is absolutely essential on a micro part of the song. It would never get mixed, because of the internet experts who would prefer to parade their ersatz knowledge about audio and pick fights with everybody else. I would love to see it for the entertainment value.

Meanwhile Billie and her brother will carry on, writing and arranging good modern music, and enjoying life. Perhaps there's a moral there?
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsyourself View Post
Haha, can you imagine - a 100 page thread bickering about which vintage plugin is absolutely essential on a micro part of the song. It would never get mixed, because of the internet experts who would prefer to parade their ersatz knowledge about audio and pick fights with everybody else. I would love to see it for the entertainment value.

Meanwhile Billie and her brother will carry on, writing and arranging good modern music, and enjoying life. Perhaps there's a moral there?
Any mix decisions would be made by staring at a Plugindoctor screen, not by using any ears.

There would be pages of bickering about if there is any aliasing in a 2 second part of the bridge section.

Half the thread would be about how the artist markets themselves and which chords they have the nerve to use in their song.
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Billie's album is really more like a modern R&B production with electronic leaning elements. It's not an electronic album and it's nothing like Bjork. Bjork was always more otherworldly and her vibe had a colder, more electronic, IDM sound. The spectrum / tone of Billie's album is warmer. It's more minimal in terms of instrumentation. It has super intimate, present vocals and it's mixed low end heavy. That's how R&B approaches mixing and production.

And how do you perceive her album as being a "testament" to artists not knowing how to produce themselves when Rob Kinelski flat out admitted he barely had to do anything to mix the record? Finneas delivered the entire thing pretty much as is. Kinelski mentions this on his Pensado's Place interview.

I don't even think you've listened to her new album, honestly. I think you're basing your opinion of that Logic demo session.

Last edited by Shaggy2039; 20 hours ago at 01:59 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 19 hours ago
Gear Head

I think the value of this demo project for me is comparing it against the final mixed and mastered versions that have been published.

On the production side, it's always interesting to see the staggering number and layers of comps, and the implication of just how many takes that represents.

This is more of a true demo, compared to the Beck Colors project which was heavily over-produced to my ears.
Old 16 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Jeez, this is so gosh-darn dire, that the academy gave Finneas Producer of the Year.
NARAS granting him a Producer award does not validate his engineering chops. Clearly, he was doing things properly for his audience -- album sales prove it -- but this angle of the conversation is about mixing, and, no, his mixes were not top-notch.

However, if the goal is to show that Logic stock plugins can be enough to get you Producer of the year, yes, of course it packs that. So then it's up to the producer (and songwriters) to do the rest, and there's a lot involved there. The 2020 Producer of the Year award, in Pop music, certainly does not hinge on engineering.
Old 14 hours ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
but this angle of the conversation is about mixing, and, no, his mixes were not top-notch.

Rob Kinelski mixed it. Not Finneas
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
NARAS granting him a Producer award does not validate his engineering chops. Clearly, he was doing things properly for his audience -- album sales prove it -- but this angle of the conversation is about mixing, and, no, his mixes were not top-notch.

However, if the goal is to show that Logic stock plugins can be enough to get you Producer of the year, yes, of course it packs that. So then it's up to the producer (and songwriters) to do the rest, and there's a lot involved there. The 2020 Producer of the Year award, in Pop music, certainly does not hinge on engineering.
Yes! It’s not like there is a definitive correct way to mix anything anyway. The fact the audience likes it is all that matters in the end.
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

Lovely dude.

Quote:

Old 11 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinga View Post
Rob Kinelski mixed it. Not Finneas
That's Rob's mix in the Logic demo session?
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's Rob's mix in the Logic demo session?
That's not Kinelski.

The mix in the demo is an er... demo mix! It certainly does not sound 'finished' to me.
Old 10 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nott View Post
I do a lot with ProTools (latest HD version running on a native system).
The thing is: I can trust the latency within ProTools. And there is an indicator for every session, when you have reached the maximum amount of latency.
Also Cubase is on point and you can trust the engine.
How you do it, it will sound too - there are no malicious surprises.

Btw: I thing every other DAW handles the latency in a better way then Logic Pro X.
It seems, that the architecture of Logic is damn old and was created, when plugins were not that powerful than these days.
Right now we can have a lot of different fantastic plugins out there.
But I often avoid those intensive plugins within Logic because of the PDC errors.
Looks like FL Studio just addressed their PDC issues with the latest update.

Skip to 9:02 in the video:

Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear
This thread reminds me why I go to Gearslutz less and less. A thread about a major Logic update (which might be helpful to pose questions about and post answers to those questions you happen to have an answer for) is now about whether or not Billie Eilish sucks, if Apple owes you thousands of dollars worth of plugins - despite Logic costing 200 bucks - and a never ending saga about plugin compensation.
Has the site been taken over by 13 year olds, or what? See ya.
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
And how do you perceive her album as being a "testament" to artists not knowing how to produce themselves when Rob Kinelski flat out admitted he barely had to do anything to mix the record? Finneas delivered the entire thing pretty much as is. Kinelski mentions this on his Pensado's Place interview.

I don't even think you've listened to her new album, honestly. I think you're basing your opinion of that Logic demo session.
You know, I allways found her an interesting artist
and respect the way she and her brother produce
everything on an imac / logic pro.
They are the ideal commercial partner for apple to attract
young kids who are into electronic music production.

I even bought one of her titles on itunes.
It was a mistake. Not an expensive one.
It´s not a quality mix.

The kind of interviews engineers are giving about
successfull productions where all they had to do was
"barely having to touch anything" I find allways a bit funny.
It´s the kind of political correct "career saving" blabla you hear on Pensado´s Place. Would Kinelski mention anything else, it would be a career stop.

And then there´s a cultural thing.
Americans like to think that a grammy award means that the lord himself
has an ongoing conversation with an artist. The kind of silly naive glorification of a person. Really glad I´m from over the pond.

Back on topic.
Logic pro x is great.
Billy E.´s vocals still suck.
Anything else ?
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
Yes! It’s not like there is a definitive correct way to mix anything anyway. The fact the audience likes it is all that matters in the end.
Well, then the audience also liked Metallica´s
death magnetic.
Who else is responsible for taste in audio if not we as engineers/producers/musicians ?
The "audience" would listen to the sound of live executions 24/7 if they would be allowed.
It´s allways been the task of people in charge to choose and present things wisely - long term oriented,
with lots of taste - regardless of the "audience".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZk View Post
If someone can’t get a good mix with just logic plugins it says more about the mixer than the effects. Any style.
Maybe you have a listen to any recording / mixing demo Bob Clearmountain does these days for any prosumer oriented apogee interface / usb mic on logic pro and compare it to the recordings / mixes he did in the last 30 years on his own highly modified ssl G+ and outboard.

Last edited by Shaman; 9 hours ago at 01:04 AM..
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
And then there´s a cultural thing.
Americans like to think that a grammy award means that the lord himself
has an ongoing conversation with an artist. The kind of silly naive glorification of a person. Really glad I´m from over the pond.
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
This thread reminds me why I go to Gearslutz less and less. A thread about a major Logic update (which might be helpful to pose questions about and post answers to those questions you happen to have an answer for) is now about whether or not Billie Eilish sucks, if Apple owes you thousands of dollars worth of plugins - despite Logic costing 200 bucks - and a never ending saga about plugin compensation.
Has the site been taken over by 13 year olds, or what? See ya.
The people on this site are just flabbergasted by how popular billie is, there was a thread about her that got to about 100 pages? Lls.
Old 7 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
That's not Kinelski.

The mix in the demo is an er... demo mix! It certainly does not sound 'finished' to me.
It didn't sound radio-ready to me either.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search