The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Introduces ZENOLOGY Expandable Plug-In
Old 1 week ago
News Desk Editor

Roland Introduces ZENOLOGY Expandable Plug-In

Roland Introduces ZENOLOGY Expandable Plug-In-unnamed-2020-05-12t130200.741.jpg

Roland Introduces ZENOLOGY, an Expandable Plug-In Version of Its Revolutionary ZEN-Core Synthesis System

ZENOLOGY Brings Roland’s ZEN-Core Technology Straight to DAW

Los Angeles, CA, May 12, 2020 — Roland introduces the ZENOLOGY Software Synthesizer, an expandable plug-in version of the Roland ZEN-Core Synthesis System for macOS and Windows. Built on nearly five decades of creating legendary synthesizers, ZEN-Core is the most advanced sound engine ever made by Roland, allowing musicians and producers to explore, create, and share tones with other users and across compatible Roland hardware.

ZENOLOGY takes things one step further, allowing music makers to create with ZEN-Core directly in their DAWs. It also introduces seamless sound compatibility between software and a range of hardware that has not been possible until now.

With thousands of sounds available, ZENOLOGY's friendly and informative browser is easy to navigate, allows users to filter and organize their sounds, rate favorites, create custom banks, share with friends and collaborators, and use sounds from artists and professional sound designers right from their computer. ZENOLOGY can import and export the ZEN-Core single tone with compatible Roland hardware like FANTOM, JUPITER-X, RD-88, and more. As a result, owners can import, edit sounds, create, and organize patch banks ready for transfer to their hardware instruments.

"Imagine having the ability to use the best of Roland’s highest quality sounds, like those in the FANTOM or JUPITER-X, in studio production or live. ZENOLOGY is the answer,” added Jed Leiber, acclaimed touring/session musician and owner of the legendary NightBird Recording Studios.

Producer/multi-instrumentalist/singer/songwriter/DJ Ali Stone earned high praise as a DJ in her native Columbia, landing an opener spot on Justin Bieber's Purpose World Tour, and now calls Los Angeles home. Stone shared, “ZENOLOGY is intuitive, super simple to use, and provides the same sound quality as the hardware gear. I’m so happy to be able to bring all of the sounds in the Roland universe to my computer.”

In the coming months, ZENOLOGY will evolve into a sound designer’s dream, with deep editing capabilities and new synth engine expansions. ZENOLOGY will soon support Model Expansions for perfect recreations of classic Roland synthesizers like theJUPITER-8, JUNO-106, SH-101 and JX-8P. Model Expansions use Analog Behavior Modeling to capture the essence of these legendary instruments and are optimized for high polyphony with an interface inspired by the original—but reimagined for use in modern DAWs.

For creators looking for the deepest editing of ZEN-Core’s synthesis capabilities, the soon-to-be-released ZENOLOGY Pro will prove to be a game-changer. Sound design will be quick and easy with an optimized interface and logical layout. Plus, multiple synthesis types, a deep modulation matrix, and eight tempo-syncing step-LFOs will be able to handle everything from classic tones to animated textures and beyond.

ZENOLOGY is available now exclusively to Roland Cloud members. Anyone that signs up for a free Roland Account can also access the new ZENOLOGY Lite for free. Access is granted through the newly updated Roland Cloud Manager app, which is one of many new Roland Cloud membership enhancements. ZENOLOGY features 3,597 Tones and 80 Drum Kits while ZENOLOGY Lite has 176 Tones and 6 Drum Kits. The forthcoming ZENOLOGY Pro builds on this with full access to the deep editing capabilities of the ZEN-Core Synthesis System.

Roland Cloud Core Membership (USD $29.99/year or $2.99/month)
Core membership unlocks ZENOLOGY featuring over 3,000 tones, 80 drum kits, and full access to all ZEN-Core Sound Packs and Wave Expansions.

Roland Cloud Pro Membership (USD $99/year or $9.99/month)
Pro membership unlocks forthcoming ZENOLOGY Pro with full access to ZEN-Core’s full editing capabilities and Model Expansions, and unlocks the D-50 and TR-808 plug-ins.

Roland Cloud Ultimate Membership (USD $199/year or $19.99/month)
Ultimate membership unlocks forthcoming ZENOLOGY Pro PLUS unlimited access to all other Roland Cloud plug-ins.

The ZENOLOGY Lite and ZENOLOGY software synths are accessible now as a benefit to free Roland Cloud Account holders, while the fully unlocked ZENOLOGY version is available to current and new Roland Cloud paid members. The ZENOLOGY Pro software synth is scheduled for release this fall and will be accessible with Roland Cloud Pro and Ultimate memberships for USD $9.99 and $19.99 per month, respectively.

For more on Roland ZENOLOGY and complete Roland Cloud membership details, please visit www.Roland.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland Introduces ZENOLOGY Expandable Plug-In-unnamed-2020-05-12t130200.741.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Roland just broke ZEN-Core wide open...

Roland just unleashed a bunch of videos and micro sites laying out the immediate future of ZEN-Core. I’m still sorting through all of it, but it’s already looking quite impressive. Not sure if this is or is leading to an editor for the grooveboxes and Jupiters, but ZC looks like it’ll be in our DAWS and on Cloud and looks to in some way sync with our ZC gear.

They’re promising Jupiter and Juno and SH emulations and looks like we can build partials outside of our hardware. I’ve got more digging to do, but perhaps this clears up some of the mystery of just what the heck ZC is...

Edit: while not an editor for ZC hardware, looks like you can upload sounds created with the plugin to ZC hardware and, with the upcoming Pro version, go into deep editing per sound so it’s almost like an editor just not machine specific.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/rc_zenology/

https://www.roland.com/us/promos/zen-core/

https://www.roland.com/us/promos/zen-core/sounds/

ZENOLOGY is an expandable plug-in version of the ZEN-Core Synthesis System. ZEN-Core is based on discrete synth voices—each containing a flexible oscillator, filter, amplifier, dual step-LFOs, and lush effects. It mixes multiple synthesis types, combining vintage Roland oscillators and filters with PCM waves capable of PCM-SYNC and cross-modulation. Layer up to four voices in a single tone for rich, complex sounds, both classic and modern. 

With ZENOLOGY you have access to an ever-expanding, always-evolving universe of sound. Driven by the powerful ZEN-Core Synthesis System, a steady stream of new sounds and expansions focus on specific genres and instrument types, or feature sounds from leading artists. 

ZENOLOGY puts the ZEN-Core Synthesis System in your DAW and provides access to a universe of amazing sounds—but this is only the beginning. In the coming months, ZENOLOGY will get new synth engine expansions and grow into a sound designer's dream with deep editing capabilities.  The ZENOLOGY plug-in works in AU, AAX, and VST formats and is ready for use on your tracks.

ZENOLOGY will soon support Model Expansions for perfect recreations of classic Roland synthesizers like the JUPITER-8, JUNO-106, SH-101, JX-8P, and more. They use Analog Behavior Modeling to capture the essence of these legendary instruments and are optimized for high polyphony with an interface inspired by the original—but reimagined for use in your DAW.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not quite wide open... It is subscription only, even the free version.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

But Roland is offering now perpetual Licences for their Software Synths...
Great News... I hate subscriptions...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlogicUser View Post
But Roland is offering now perpetual Licences for their Software Synths...
Great News... I hate subscriptions...
An alternative to the roland cloud subscripton would be nice, where did you find that information?

Edit: oh, nevermind. It's all there over at the rolandcloud.com
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsErik View Post
An alternative to the roland cloud subscripton would be nice, where did you find that information?
It's on their website. You can now buy licenses for their stuff. But you still have to have an active cloud account.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Humanoid View Post
It's on their website. You can now buy licenses for their stuff. But you still have to have an active cloud account.
Where did you see it? I've been browsing their website for the past 10 min without finding anything.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisha View Post
Where did you see it? I've been browsing their website for the past 10 min without finding anything.
https://www.rolandcloud.com/

If you click on the synths you should see (also available to purchase as prep. license).

It's all over KVR. And it's about bloody time they did it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Better link scroll down:

"purchasing Lifetime Keys to your favorite Roland Cloud instruments like the TB-303, D-50, JX-3P, and so many others!"

https://www.rolandcloud.com/news/wel...d-roland-cloud
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It really is a step in the right direction for Roland and for Zen. Reassured me that there was a plan and that there is a roadmap behind all the mystery. I’m looking forward to the Pro version. Maybe blows wide open was a tad hyperbolic, but it sure makes my 101 seem like a bargain once that Pro editor is released.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Humanoid View Post
Better link scroll down:

"purchasing Lifetime Keys to your favorite Roland Cloud instruments like the TB-303, D-50, JX-3P, and so many others!"

https://www.rolandcloud.com/news/wel...d-roland-cloud
Thanks man!

Definitely about time, not cheap though.
The Roland guys are not really getting on with this "new virtual instruments" thing.
Companies like Arturia and U-he run circles around them.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Companies like Arturia and U-he run circles around them.
No worries...

Yeah, they've a bit of catching up to do!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I wonder if they’ll finally do anything for those who bought plug outs? Roll back to the beginning of the Cloud and they promised something. This didn’t materialise and they not only ignored three emails that I sent but also kept removing my posts on Facebook. I’ve been a subscriber from day one and I love the stuff. It would, however be nice for Roland to do something for those who paid a fair bit of money for the plug outs.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
Roland just unleashed a bunch of videos and micro sites laying out the immediate future of ZEN-Core. I’m still sorting through all of it, but it’s already looking quite impressive. Not sure if this is or is leading to an editor for the grooveboxes and Jupiters, but ZC looks like it’ll be in our DAWS and on Cloud and looks to in some way sync with our ZC gear.

They’re promising Jupiter and Juno and SH emulations and looks like we can build partials outside of our hardware. I’ve got more digging to do, but perhaps this clears up some of the mystery of just what the heck ZC is...

Edit: while not an editor for ZC hardware, looks like you can upload sounds created with the plugin to ZC hardware and, with the upcoming Pro version, go into deep editing per sound so it’s almost like an editor just not machine specific.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/rc_zenology/

https://www.roland.com/us/promos/zen-core/

https://www.roland.com/us/promos/zen-core/sounds/

ZENOLOGY is an expandable plug-in version of the ZEN-Core Synthesis System. ZEN-Core is based on discrete synth voices—each containing a flexible oscillator, filter, amplifier, dual step-LFOs, and lush effects. It mixes multiple synthesis types, combining vintage Roland oscillators and filters with PCM waves capable of PCM-SYNC and cross-modulation. Layer up to four voices in a single tone for rich, complex sounds, both classic and modern. 

With ZENOLOGY you have access to an ever-expanding, always-evolving universe of sound. Driven by the powerful ZEN-Core Synthesis System, a steady stream of new sounds and expansions focus on specific genres and instrument types, or feature sounds from leading artists. 

ZENOLOGY puts the ZEN-Core Synthesis System in your DAW and provides access to a universe of amazing sounds—but this is only the beginning. In the coming months, ZENOLOGY will get new synth engine expansions and grow into a sound designer's dream with deep editing capabilities.  The ZENOLOGY plug-in works in AU, AAX, and VST formats and is ready for use on your tracks.

ZENOLOGY will soon support Model Expansions for perfect recreations of classic Roland synthesizers like the JUPITER-8, JUNO-106, SH-101, JX-8P, and more. They use Analog Behavior Modeling to capture the essence of these legendary instruments and are optimized for high polyphony with an interface inspired by the original—but reimagined for use in your DAW.
Thanks for the helpful links. The one in the OP just goes to the main Roland website and leaves you to wade through it and give up in the end.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Zenology sound quality is excellent, I’ll
say that. Looking forward to the Pro version!
Old 1 week ago
Looks great, will make a nice duo with the MPC Studio, don't need a MC707 now. Just wish they would add sample import support to it.
Old 1 week ago
DSK
Lives for gear

As always the market will adjust itself.

You have to remember Roland is a behemoth. They react and move very slowly.
This has kept companies alive in the past, but presently and in the future everything is very dynamic. Agility, speed, reliability and conscious behavior will be the norm. U-he is a small team that is in constant ground contact with it's user base and literally driven by someone who does it primarily for the passion.

Arturia is a bit bigger but not comparable to Roland yet.

The decision to sell perpetual licenses is long overdue, but this is a clear signal that Roland is still responding to the market, albeit slowly, there is still a 2-way communication.

I love their VST's while I demoed them, but can't justify a subscription.
Remember to vote with your wallet.

We still live in capitalism, and in a business customer relationship only money truly talks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Where are the prices listed? I’ve never tried so hard to find the price for something.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Where are the prices listed? I’ve never tried so hard to find the price for something.
https://www.rolandcloud.com/roland-account/memberships/

In the middle of the page click then on "LIFETIME KEY" (right from ABONNEMENTS)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacue View Post
https://www.rolandcloud.com/roland-account/memberships/

In the middle of the page click then on "LIFETIME KEY" (right from ABONNEMENTS)
Thanks for the directions! That was hard to find for some reason. Zenology is not available for purchase though. (Yet?)
Old 1 week ago
Would rather just buy Zenology as don't think you need the sub as much since it will encompass a lot of the same sounds in the sub. Maybe purchase the 303/808/909 for the interfaces.

Just seems redundant to have all of them.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Well, this seems to mainly be a frontend GUI for their existing products. I bet the whole thing is just running instances of their existing SH/Jupiter/etc code in the background.

Still, nice to have I guess.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by occultron View Post
Well, this seems to mainly be a frontend GUI for their existing products. I bet the whole thing is just running instances of their existing SH/Jupiter/etc code in the background.

Still, nice to have I guess.
In true Roland fashion they just re-use everything in new products I don't know if these synth emus are as complex as the standalones.

I think there was a discussion here about it where there is a core algo and the synth emus just use 'ranges' of relevant parameters that coincide with the particular emulation, rather than a full circuit model.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeens View Post
In true Roland fashion they just re-use everything in new products I don't know if these synth emus are as complex as the standalones.

I think there was a discussion here about it where there is a core algo and the synth emus just use 'ranges' of relevant parameters that coincide with the particular emulation, rather than a full circuit model.
I believe that Zencore and ACB are two different technologies.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
I believe that Zencore and ACB are two different technologies.
I think they might be but wonder how much different they are sonically if so.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This is entirely speculative on my part, but I think Zenology is probably much like Pigments, UA Shape, or indeed Omnisphere; at it's core a set of full-range HQ oscillators, sample players, and filters, with parameters tweaked to replicate workflows of classic synths (the Model Expansions). Well that's what I took from what we've seen so far, anyway. Seems clear from what I can see.

Buggy Cloud synths = proper FPGA-level circuit modelling (ripped straight from the corresponding HW Boutiques' FPGA chips); implementation of FPGA emulation environment needs a lot more refining and optimizing

New Zen thing = Single high-def synth engine to cover all bases; no component-level circuit modelling, but parametrized to replicate the workflow (if not quite the exact sound) of classic synths

Just a guess 'til we see more

Is Concerto completely irrelevant now with Zenology out? The long and winding roadmap...
Old 1 week ago
bax
Gear Maniac

Well, after resisting it for years, this finally got my subscription $$$. I figure I'm gonna have to sign up anyway to get free and purchased stuff from now on for the Fantom and Jupiter-Xm with their new license model for hardware expansions, and with Zenology coming along as powerful and great-sounding as it is, I'd say it is worth it.

[rantmode]

That said, I REALLY dislike RCM after dealing with it for less than a full 24-hour period already; it is slow and unresponsive, poorly laid out from a UI/UX perspective, tells me frequently it can't connect to the Roland Cloud (even while it is actually downloading from it), and from what I read about it seems to have been buggy since it's inception.

Three of the Concerto "Anthology" libraries I downloaded are telling me there are "Updates" available and want me to go backwards from the currently installed 1.1 version to the 1.0 version... Glad I don't have a bandwidth cap, because I turned on the "Auto-update my products" option and those got stuck in a perpetual download loop. They went like 4 rounds trying to download and install the older version over the newer one before I turned that stuff off.

1990 downloaded but never got marked as Installed so it wouldn't work, nor could I "Uninstall" it through the GUI. I had to manually find and clear out the download from the RCM's cache folder after stopping and killing processes in order to clear it out and try to install it again. I do IT for a living so I was able to figure it out, but that is way far above the level of tech a regular user should have to mess with in order to simply download and install software...

[/rantmode]

Hopefully it gets better...

Thanks!
bax
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Well, after resisting it for years, this finally got my subscription $$$. I figure I'm gonna have to sign up anyway to get free and purchased stuff from now on for the Fantom and Jupiter-Xm with their new license model for hardware expansions, and with Zenology coming along as powerful and great-sounding as it is, I'd say it is worth it.

bax
Do they charge for addons on the Jupiter-Xm?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
That said, I REALLY dislike RCM...
Man, RCM used to be pretty bad as these things go, but it's become a garbled mess for me since the last two or three updates. Even the login screen, I just type things and just hope it's going into the correct field

I may seem negative when I write about the Cloud but I only write because I really badly want this platform to deliver it's potential. At the moment, I don't even trust the installation process. First, you can't choose destination drive or plugin format, and then it hangs and reports things that contradict itself. Just saying to be aware that you will often have "update" warnings if you don't have ALL formats of a given plugin installed (VST2, VST3, AAX) and the "update" simply re-installs the formats you don't need. Just delete the formats you don't need and ignore the update warnings. Also, sometimes things actually WILL get DL'd and installed on your system, but in RCM it looks as if nothing happened. Check your drive(s). All of them!

Over and out.
Old 1 week ago
bax
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeens View Post
Do they charge for addons on the Jupiter-Xm?
Short answer:

Yes, TONE packs are $1 each for any platform, EXPANSIONS are $20 each for the JUPITER X/XM.

Longer answer:

There are so far two types of addons available from RolandCloud: TONES and EXPANSIONS. For the Jupiter-XM they originally gave away for free the first five of the tone banks (named differently than the current ones but content exactly the same) directly from the Roland website before they moved to the Roland Cloud licensing model. Now there are 10 tone packs available for sale via RolandCloud, they are $0.99 each, so those are very reasonable (I bought them all) and they can be used on the FANTOM, Jupiter (X and Xm), and Zenology. None of these are free with a subscription; you have to purchase them regardless of platform.

EXPANSION packs (EXZ) are a different story... They gave away all 15 of the Expansion packs for the FANTOM through Axial in the past, but have since moved them to be "multi-compatible" so now most of them work with the FANTOM, RD88 and JUPITER (X and Xm) but with different licenses. They are all still (currently anyway) free for the FANTOM via RolandCloud, one specific EXZs (EXZ001) is free for the RD88, and none of them are free for JUPITER X/Xm. They can currently be purchased for $19.99 each as a "Lifetime Key" which lets you install them on your hardware and keep them regardless of having a paid subscription or not (you still have to maintain a free level of Roland Cloud membership). The FANTOM has enough memory that it can have all of them installed at the same time, but the JUPITERs are limited to only two available expansion slots at a time.

If you have the Unlimited level RC subscription, all the EXPANSIONS are free to be used in the Zenology plugin. There's a lot of stuff there... I thought about buying a couple EXZs for the XM, but I have all the exact same sounds in both the FANTOM and Zenology, so it really wouldn't make much sense for me. I do expect that they will develop more of them as time goes on, so maybe when there is something new.

Thanks!
bax
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search