The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AMS Neve announces 1073 OPX Octal Microphone/Line/Instrument Preamplifier
Old 2 weeks ago
News Desk Editor

AMS Neve announces 1073 OPX Octal Microphone/Line/Instrument Preamplifier-ams-neve-1073opx-1-1-.jpg

AMS Neve Gives Its Classic 1073® A Thoroughly Modern Twist: This legendary microphone preamplifier has been redesigned as a 2U rack unit to suit 21st century recording studio, live and broadcast workflows.

Burnley, UK. May 6th 2020: To mark the 50th anniversary of the legendary 1073® microphone preamp, AMS Neve is bringing the story full circle with the launch of the 1073® OPX, a brand new Octal Microphone/Line/Instrument Preamplifier that is designed to meet the needs of the modern studio environment.

Designed and – to this day - manufactured in the UK, AMS Neve’s 1073® is the mic preamp of choice for leading producers and engineers everywhere. Indeed, there is hardly a professional audio facility in the world that doesn’t have at least one of these iconic units in its racks. What makes the 1073® so desirable is its unique tonal quality and its ability to deliver warmth, low-mid punch and subtle harmonic distortion, giving studios of all sizes the most prestigious front-end for their recordings.

With the launch of the 1073® OPX, AMS Neve has taken its 1970s classic and updated it for today’s workflow by packing eight legendary 1073® remote-controlled preamps with Marinair® transformers into a 2U rack unit. Front and rear connectors give comprehensive connectivity to any Studio/Live/Broadcast environment, while modern remote-control software gives two-way control with Total Recall™ of all settings. Input sources benefit from the transformer-coupled input stage and can be connected directly to the front-mounted Mic/Line/DI input for recording in the studio control-room.

The analogue and digital monitor signal path of the 1073® OPX allows it to be used as a complete standalone I/O interface or as a live room remote preamp with a full, latency-free monitoring cue mix signal path. The optional digital I/O card comes with Neve’s industry-revered mastering-grade converters with up to 192kHz/24-Bit A/D conversion over USB connection. This ensures that the unit can be used as a Primary Audio Interface to any connected DAW-enabled computer, as well as Primary and Secondary Dante™ connectivity for Audio-over-IP applications.

“We’ve always kept an eye on the changing workflows and technology in the recording studio environment and, overwhelmingly, everyone wants the ultimate quality,” says AMS Neve’s Distribution Manager David Walton. “But ultimate quality and ease of integration can be difficult - and expensive! A rack here, a console there, sometimes it isn't easy to just plug something in and record. *So we considered how we could we get the ultimate quality connected into a studio environment of any size with incredible value. At that point, the concept of the 1073® OPX was born. 8-channels of legendary mic preamp with remote control of all settings, with analogue and digital connection into the modern studio.*The 1073® OPX takes the legendary Neve sound to the next evolutionary level."

The 1073® OPX is shipping now and carries a retail price £2,995 / $3,695. The price for the optional Digital I/O card is £795 / $995. As an introductory offer, AMS Neve is selling the 1073® OPX and Digital I/O card together at a special bundle price of £3,495 / $4,295.

For more information, please visit: www.ams-neve.com

Attached Thumbnails
AMS Neve announces 1073 OPX Octal Microphone/Line/Instrument Preamplifier-ams-neve-1073opx-7-1-.jpg   AMS Neve announces 1073 OPX Octal Microphone/Line/Instrument Preamplifier-ams-neve-1073opx-1-1-.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
MGA
Gear Addict

Neve 1073OPX

It had to come, 8 channels of Neve goodness!

https://www.ams-neve.com/1073opx-134-p.asp
Attached Thumbnails
AMS Neve announces 1073 OPX Octal Microphone/Line/Instrument Preamplifier-1073opx-134-p-ekm-1000x666-ekm-.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Old 2 weeks ago
Very nice.....good price too for 8 channels of Neve.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

it can be used as an audio interface as well apparently
Old 2 weeks ago
Yeah didn't see that. That's makes it even more amazing.....
Old 2 weeks ago
A dream come true...
but combo inputs only at the front? I foresee some apparent cable mess :/
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Take my money
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur_br View Post
A dream come true...
but combo inputs only at the front? I foresee some apparent cable mess :/
Hi Arthur, it has Rear D-type for 8 line and 8 Mic inputs and additional 8 front-mounted Combi inputs for MIC/LINE/DI
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Is a transformer only on the mic input or does it have a transformer on the output also?
Old 2 weeks ago
Awesome, thanks for clearing that, Joe.
I judged by the photos where I only saw the DB25 O/P.
Stunning product!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

What will be round trip latency figures for windows 10 ?
Just concerned about latency and drivers quality.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

This is pretty much exactly the product I've been looking for as I transition my studio to Dante. Well done AMS-Neve! My only question here is the apparent lack of inserts. I was hoping the line outs could be used as inserts but I read the manual and it doesn't mention it. Joe, am I missing something?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

No output knob?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Summing unit, too.

Nice box!

edit: Inserts would really have been sweet.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

REALLY wish there were inserts! The physical connectors are already there. Could have had a global INS switch to activate them.

If you have the digital card installed, you're going to use USB or Dante outputs, so you don't need the Output DB25 on the back. Press INS and the Output becomes Sends and the Mic In DB25 on the back becomes Returns. For tracking, you still have the Line In DB25 on the back... and just use front panel Combis for microphones/instruments.

For summing, you're only going to want the Monitor Out XLR, so once again... Press INS and the rear Output DB25 becomes Sends, and the Mic In DB25 becomes Returns.

Tidy solution.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

^^ That’s exactly what the 4081 has so I can’t understand why they didn’t include that. With this, as you say, if I want to track with an eq or compressor I have to run out of the line out but then I’m not able to use the converter / Dante option which is one of the main features of this thing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnes View Post
...track with an eq or compressor I have to run out of the line out but then I’m not able to use the converter...
Yeah... extremely unfortunate.

Has actually made my decision on this box easy. We've got a no-go here, for me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looks like there are no output transformers. But the price and options look amazing for this unit. It is quite well priced.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

My dealer confirmed no inserts. The price still makes this very attractive but that would have been really nice. I see on the photo there is an empty slot next to the line out db25. Can Joe comment on what that might be for?
Old 2 weeks ago
Wow... nice box
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Let me guess. IC's in the audio path. If its not all discrete, it shouldn't be called a 1073
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

No inserts equal a no buy.

As useless as an ashtray on a motorbike or tits on a bull.

Cheers
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wow what a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It is a great piece of gear, but I agree that the digital package is limited when you cant patch in comps/eq into the unit. If you dont need the digital side then it wont be a problem.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Would still definitely want inserts using it as an all-analog, 8 channel summing box as well.

Such a beauty... just makes zero sense to me without inserts.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Perhaps there is a way to use this after all complete with inserts.

From another piece.

Tell me if this works or not. I think it does.

http://www.colemanaudio.com/

TC 4 transfer controller

Cheers
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Inserts would be cool but no output? Can't drive and properly gain stage. I would have really consider this unit if it had an output knob.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T417 View Post
Is a transformer only on the mic input or does it have a transformer on the output also?
Hi,
It has a Marinair(R) transformer on each Mic input. The outputs are electronically-balanced, this is the same architecture as the 1073 preamps on our flagship Hybrid Genesys Black Console.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur_br View Post
Awesome, thanks for clearing that, Joe.
I judged by the photos where I only saw the DB25 O/P.
Stunning product!
Thank you Arthur,

We will be releasing more content on the 1073OPX in the coming weeks. Keep an eye on the AMS Neve website & socials.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search