The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AMS Neve announces 1073 OPX Octal Microphone/Line/Instrument Preamplifier
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaton.joe View Post
Hi,
It has a Marinair(R) transformer on each Mic input. The outputs are electronically-balanced, this is the same architecture as the 1073 preamps on our flagship Hybrid Genesys Black Console.
So its more like half a 1073?
Its your right to put the name on it and its probably a great pre, but this is just not a 1073 in a classical sense so the name is more of a marketing thing...

Initially I was very hooked to this, also because of Dante, but having no inserts and no output Transformer is really a dealbreaker. I would also be a bit afraid of the reliability as the two 4081 of a friend were constantly down.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnes View Post
This is pretty much exactly the product I've been looking for as I transition my studio to Dante. Well done AMS-Neve! My only question here is the apparent lack of inserts. I was hoping the line outs could be used as inserts but I read the manual and it doesn't mention it. Joe, am I missing something?
Hi,
There are no switched, in-line inserts on the 1073OPX, but the line outputs can be used to feed an external processing unit which in turn can feed the line input of another 1073OPX input channel. When using the digital I/O option, both will be sent to the computer (USB) or network (Dante). While this 'burns' an extra channel, it allows the simultaneous recording of both the raw and the processed audio for extra flexibility.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer Priest View Post
No output knob?
Hi,

The input stage gain is controlled by the gain control on the 1073OPX in 1db steps to allow total accuracy for stereo pairs or groups of preamp signals. An analogue output control on all 8 preamps would limit the accuracy and remote control capability of the 1073OPX. However, the 1073OPX has a unique function where preamp output signals can be split and routed to the monitor path while simultaneously routed to the line outputs. The 1073OPX stereo monitor path has its own level control with -35dB attenuation and dual XLR output, so if extra output attenuation is required for one or two preamps, this function can provide that extra output level control if needed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnes View Post
My dealer confirmed no inserts. The price still makes this very attractive but that would have been really nice. I see on the photo there is an empty slot next to the line out db25. Can Joe comment on what that might be for?
Hi,
The image was taken from one of our prototype units. The production units don't have this slot and we'll update the images to match following our latest scheduled Photoshoot.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by professormachine View Post
Let me guess. IC's in the audio path. If its not all discrete, it shouldn't be called a 1073
Hi,

Our 1073 preamp designs are in constant evolution to meet the needs of a multitude of modern applications, the 1073OPX is our latest preamp design that has full remote control capability. The hand-wired 1073 Classic, which we still produce for many customers in Burnley, UK is the original discrete module. Over time we have manufactured the 1073DPA, 1073DPD, 1073LB, 1073LBEQ, 1073N, 1073DPX, 1073SPX and the new 1073OPX using our world-class in-house SMD manufacturing facility.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i'm not getting the whining of some folks:

i do neither need output trims nor ouput transformers nor inserts - this could very well become an alternate/additional front end to my studer digital system, provided there's a simple and efficient remote control over all parameters with fixed and temporary channel links of multiple channels over multiple items!

aoip is the future! would have loved to see madi nevertheless - if anything, for me the latter might become a deal breaker...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Amazing product!Would it be possible to trim the signal before the converter with the app?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugist View Post
Amazing product!Would it be possible to trim the signal before the converter with the app?
Hi,

The software app mirrors the device controls so there is no additional software trim within. The 1073OPX gain control has 1dB steps that can be controlled, saved, and loaded from the app for ultimate accuracy before the converter.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Hi,

The software app mirrors the device controls so there is no additional software trim within. The 1073OPX gain control has 1dB steps that can be controlled, saved, and loaded from the app for ultimate accuracy before the converter.
Thanks! I'm not concerned about accuracy. I'm thinking more in terms of:

Bunch of Synth > PreAmp > Preamp saturation (through a Trim control) > Converter > USB > Laptop

But I don't complain. It is what it is and its great!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Great Price! If you need an insert or want to overdrive it, just get another interface to run it into like an apollo X16, or X8P, or Lynx Aurora N, still cheaper than other options and has the remote control...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforest4 View Post
Great Price! If you need an insert or want to overdrive it, just get another interface to run it into like an apollo X16, or X8P, or Lynx Aurora N, still cheaper than other options and has the remote control...

in that price category and sound category you have also products like the phoenix drs-8 though: Even a bit cheaper here in germany and truly wonderful sound, had one for some years and miss it. ( it also has an output trim...) The interesting thing here is the dante and 1073ness if it aproximatly sound like one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by aves View Post
in that price category and sound category you have also products like the phoenix drs-8 though: Even a bit cheaper here in germany and truly wonderful sound, had one for some years and miss it. ( it also has an output trim...) The interesting thing here is the dante and 1073ness if it aproximatly sound like one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Phoenix-Aud...-/264720753302

Looks like life copied art then art copied life ... all i know is this is exactly the type box id look for for my new apollo twin x ..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If these are the same preamps in the 88r I'll happily take one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Class piece of kit

Hi Boys

Great piece of kit and still made in the UK !!

We'll get one in for a demo Dave

Best

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Press Desk View Post

AMS Neve Gives Its Classic 1073® A Thoroughly Modern Twist: This legendary microphone preamplifier has been redesigned as a 2U rack unit to suit 21st century recording studio, live and broadcast workflows.

Burnley, UK. May 6th 2020: To mark the 50th anniversary of the legendary 1073® microphone preamp, AMS Neve is bringing the story full circle with the launch of the 1073® OPX, a brand new Octal Microphone/Line/Instrument Preamplifier that is designed to meet the needs of the modern studio environment.

Designed and – to this day - manufactured in the UK, AMS Neve’s 1073® is the mic preamp of choice for leading producers and engineers everywhere. Indeed, there is hardly a professional audio facility in the world that doesn’t have at least one of these iconic units in its racks. What makes the 1073® so desirable is its unique tonal quality and its ability to deliver warmth, low-mid punch and subtle harmonic distortion, giving studios of all sizes the most prestigious front-end for their recordings.

With the launch of the 1073® OPX, AMS Neve has taken its 1970s classic and updated it for today’s workflow by packing eight legendary 1073® remote-controlled preamps with Marinair® transformers into a 2U rack unit. Front and rear connectors give comprehensive connectivity to any Studio/Live/Broadcast environment, while modern remote-control software gives two-way control with Total Recall™ of all settings. Input sources benefit from the transformer-coupled input stage and can be connected directly to the front-mounted Mic/Line/DI input for recording in the studio control-room.

The analogue and digital monitor signal path of the 1073® OPX allows it to be used as a complete standalone I/O interface or as a live room remote preamp with a full, latency-free monitoring cue mix signal path. The optional digital I/O card comes with Neve’s industry-revered mastering-grade converters with up to 192kHz/24-Bit A/D conversion over USB connection. This ensures that the unit can be used as a Primary Audio Interface to any connected DAW-enabled computer, as well as Primary and Secondary Dante™ connectivity for Audio-over-IP applications.

“We’ve always kept an eye on the changing workflows and technology in the recording studio environment and, overwhelmingly, everyone wants the ultimate quality,” says AMS Neve’s Distribution Manager David Walton. “But ultimate quality and ease of integration can be difficult - and expensive! A rack here, a console there, sometimes it isn't easy to just plug something in and record. *So we considered how we could we get the ultimate quality connected into a studio environment of any size with incredible value. At that point, the concept of the 1073® OPX was born. 8-channels of legendary mic preamp with remote control of all settings, with analogue and digital connection into the modern studio.*The 1073® OPX takes the legendary Neve sound to the next evolutionary level."

The 1073® OPX is shipping now and carries a retail price £2,995 / $3,695. The price for the optional Digital I/O card is £795 / $995. As an introductory offer, AMS Neve is selling the 1073® OPX and Digital I/O card together at a special bundle price of £3,495 / $4,295.

For more information, please visit: www.ams-neve.com

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Smile 88 Pres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak View Post
If these are the same preamps in the 88r I'll happily take one.
Hi bud

Their not the same pre amps as in the 88RS...

You need the 88R LB 500 series pre for that

Best

Andy
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

What's the catch?

Interesting,

What am I missing? I have a bunch of Neve 1073LB preamps which I paid $1000/per. Why would I continue to get more of those when I could get 8 channels at $450/per?

Whats the catch? There must be a serious difference with such a serious price drop.

www.goldenbearrecords.com
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Interesting,

What am I missing? I have a bunch of Neve 1073LB preamps which I paid $1000/per. Why would I continue to get more of those when I could get 8 channels at $450/per?

Whats the catch? There must be a serious difference with such a serious price drop.

www.goldenbearrecords.com
No output transformer and no output gain control. It would be good to hear an A/B test down the road
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hopefully one day we'll see one of these with eight 88R LB. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by professormachine View Post
Let me guess. IC's in the audio path. If its not all discrete, it shouldn't be called a 1073
Exactly! output transformer? where it is? not there for cost reason?
too bad as it is big part of the sound!
Sounds like annoucing a chicken when you finally get a nugget
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'm wondering if the OPX can be hooked up to an output attenuator, such as the Little Labs Redcloud, and use this to trim the output then crank up the preamp gain. Would this get you close to a regular 1073 sound or is the missing output transformer REALLY that important?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I applaud the non chinese build.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I don't quite understand the questions over topology. It seems fairly unrealistic to expect an 8 channel preamp with no EQ, remote control, built in ADC, and AoIP to exactly replicate the input channels from a large format console built in 1970. There are 8 million 'clones' of the 1073, many of which use some variation of the name and most of which have sizeable design differences from the original. If you want the original you can buy the Neve 1073 CH/CV. 8 channels will only run you $26,000!

As I was looking for this type of product already, I had narrowed down the main options to:

- Millennia HV-3R $5002.99
- Grace Design m108 $3225.00
- Rupert Neve Designs RMP-D8 $5995.00
- Focusrite Rednet MP8R $3299.99

So the 1073 OPX is quite competitively priced in the middle of the pack. All of these products have different topology but tout the character of their single channel / standalone compatriots, but with similar naming schemes, so AMS-Neve is not alone in this regard.

Anyway, I ordered one from Studio Economik last week, will report back!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,
There are no switched, in-line inserts on the 1073OPX, but the line outputs can be used to feed an external processing unit which in turn can feed the line input of another 1073OPX input channel. When using the digital I/O option, both will be sent to the computer (USB) or network (Dante). While this 'burns' an extra channel, it allows the simultaneous recording of both the raw and the processed audio for extra flexibility.
Burn a whole channel to achieve vital functionality.

oookay.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

88 Pres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Hopefully one day we'll see one of these with eight 88R LB. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I agree its an amazing mic pre

We have a 60 channel 88rs , had it made without the mic amps..... the 88R LB's sound completely amazing in my opinion .... just a lovely piece of kit
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Kid View Post
I agree its an amazing mic pre

We have a 60 channel 88rs , had it made without the mic amps..... the 88R LB's sound completely amazing in my opinion .... just a lovely piece of kit
Sorry to hijack,
I have one and yes they do sound amazing.
I also have a pair of RND 511 and they are in the same ballpark regarding the amount of coloration but not quite in the same areas.

As for the product featured here, I would buy it without hesitation if I was looking for an 8 channel unit, output transfos or not, but there is some great competition in the 8 channel units.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Press Desk View Post

AMS Neve Gives Its Classic 1073® A Thoroughly Modern Twist: This legendary microphone preamplifier has been redesigned as a 2U rack unit to suit 21st century recording studio, live and broadcast workflows.

Burnley, UK. May 6th 2020: To mark the 50th anniversary of the legendary 1073® microphone preamp, AMS Neve is bringing the story full circle with the launch of the 1073® OPX, a brand new Octal Microphone/Line/Instrument Preamplifier that is designed to meet the needs of the modern studio environment.

Designed and – to this day - manufactured in the UK, AMS Neve’s 1073® is the mic preamp of choice for leading producers and engineers everywhere. Indeed, there is hardly a professional audio facility in the world that doesn’t have at least one of these iconic units in its racks. What makes the 1073® so desirable is its unique tonal quality and its ability to deliver warmth, low-mid punch and subtle harmonic distortion, giving studios of all sizes the most prestigious front-end for their recordings.

With the launch of the 1073® OPX, AMS Neve has taken its 1970s classic and updated it for today’s workflow by packing eight legendary 1073® remote-controlled preamps with Marinair® transformers into a 2U rack unit. Front and rear connectors give comprehensive connectivity to any Studio/Live/Broadcast environment, while modern remote-control software gives two-way control with Total Recall™ of all settings. Input sources benefit from the transformer-coupled input stage and can be connected directly to the front-mounted Mic/Line/DI input for recording in the studio control-room.

The analogue and digital monitor signal path of the 1073® OPX allows it to be used as a complete standalone I/O interface or as a live room remote preamp with a full, latency-free monitoring cue mix signal path. The optional digital I/O card comes with Neve’s industry-revered mastering-grade converters with up to 192kHz/24-Bit A/D conversion over USB connection. This ensures that the unit can be used as a Primary Audio Interface to any connected DAW-enabled computer, as well as Primary and Secondary Dante™ connectivity for Audio-over-IP applications.

“We’ve always kept an eye on the changing workflows and technology in the recording studio environment and, overwhelmingly, everyone wants the ultimate quality,” says AMS Neve’s Distribution Manager David Walton. “But ultimate quality and ease of integration can be difficult - and expensive! A rack here, a console there, sometimes it isn't easy to just plug something in and record. *So we considered how we could we get the ultimate quality connected into a studio environment of any size with incredible value. At that point, the concept of the 1073® OPX was born. 8-channels of legendary mic preamp with remote control of all settings, with analogue and digital connection into the modern studio.*The 1073® OPX takes the legendary Neve sound to the next evolutionary level."

The 1073® OPX is shipping now and carries a retail price £2,995 / $3,695. The price for the optional Digital I/O card is £795 / $995. As an introductory offer, AMS Neve is selling the 1073® OPX and Digital I/O card together at a special bundle price of £3,495 / $4,295.

For more information, please visit: www.ams-neve.com

Why is this so cheap? Does this mean that Alctron will be releasing their own oem version in a year for $1200?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Hi - do the line inputs go through the input transformers? I see that the DI inputs do not, and the mic inputs do...
Old 2 days ago
that looks like heaven....(robs local bank )
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott.Dryden View Post
I'm wondering if the OPX can be hooked up to an output attenuator, such as the Little Labs Redcloud, and use this to trim the output then crank up the preamp gain. Would this get you close to a regular 1073 sound or is the missing output transformer REALLY that important?
You could do that, but then you can't use the A/D options since there are no insert points between the pre-amp and the converters.

I think there is a market for the OPX as-is, due to the excellent price point.

However, based on the comments in this thread and my own needs, there is also a market for a "deluxe" version of the OPX.

1073OPX Deluxe Features
- Balanced insert points via DB25
- Switchable output transformers
- Balanced Master insert on the summed stereo output
- Stereo summing bus external input
- Pan per channel
- 8-channel D/A option
- Increase size to 3-4 RU to fit the extra features/controls

1073OPX Deluxe Uses
- 8-channel preamp with monitoring for tracking
- 8-channel summing mixer
- 8-channel A/D D/A
- Process 8 individual tracks or 4 stereo busses through transformers and other outboard via inserts
- Connects to the DAW with a single cable (not counting inserts obviously)
- Expand 8 channels at a time via the stereo summing bus external input

For a small hybrid setup like mine, this would be the focal point for my whole studio. Add 8 channels of compression with a 500-series lunchbox, use ITB EQs, and I'd have everything I need for a compact, portable hybrid setup in 6-7 rack units.

Another benefit (for AMS Neve) of adding balanced insert points is the ability to add additional OPX expansion options like 8 channels of 1084-style EQ, 8 channels of 2264's, faders, etc. all digitally controlled and recallable.

I'm guessing something link this would be in the $8k range, but I'm not an expert at pricing.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I could be wrong,
Haha
(Lord knows I have been before)

But I have a feeling that this unit might be a small part of a bigger picture?

I get the feeling that Neve is going to put together a modular system that one can expand on, and build as they need.

Like I said, purely a educated guess on my part, but I do believe something is brewing...

I guess we will see.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search