The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube and Weiss Release EQ1, Gambit Series for Console 1 and Complete Collection
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
First : Weiss sound better than it looks

Second : if i want something smooth like the 4000 curve i can do it with the weiss ...wistch introduce the next ... :

Third : those are different , tools need to be mastered , and then used right .

Conclusion : i'm with you with the Q guyz but i swear if you can't get the Weiss to sound at least superb , change job ....

Hope it's not too rude ?

Daniel nothing aginst you at all , needed your post cause there's the graph lol ...
I quote every word
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Weiss gambit is just an indispensable addition to Console 1 imho
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Crush View Post
Weiss gambit is just an indispensable addition to Console 1 imho
For me it pushes Console 1into being used as a utility with a high quality fixing EQ and not just a controller for retro channel strips.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
For me it pushes Console 1into being used as a utility with a high quality fixing EQ and not just a controller for retro channel strips.
Even More Blayz , for me it close the gap , to the ability of C1 to be used from start to finish , i alwayz went 3rd party for master buss and some busses , now i will think twice , still will neeed some M/S or dual mono (at least the could propose a simple,option to tick to choose dual mono operation) from time to time but that's it , will do the rest in mastering !!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Even More Blayz , for me it close the gap , to the ability of C1 to be used from start to finish , i alwayz went 3rd party for master buss and some busses , now i will think twice , still will neeed some M/S or dual mono (at least the could propose a simple,option to tick to choose dual mono operation) from time to time but that's it , will do the rest in mastering !!
We are about to build a lean and mean ITB mix rig and I want to keep it simple (and fast), so C1 is ticking all the boxes. Do you like the sound of all the C1 libraries or some over the others?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
We are about to build a lean and mean ITB mix rig and I want to keep it simple (and fast), so C1 is ticking all the boxes. Do you like the sound of all the C1 libraries or some over the others?
Been a C1 user forever....

One thing you should consider before diving in -- Are you using a DAW that is fully supported? Ableton Live, Cubase, Reaper, Studio One all are 100% compatible and it makes a huge difference in how you use it.

In terms of the channel strips I own all of them except the Weiss (I have the DS1 bundle and didn't think the C1 strip was worth the price since it uses 3 sections of of the strip from the DS1) and the Zener Bender strips. For me, the SSL 9000 strip and the API are the two best. I always use the C1 after I run a corrective / surgical EQ to remove resonances. First EQ is usually an Eiosis Air EQ or Fabfilter and then the C1 to give it some vibe. I think it works better as an additive vs subtractive thing, personally, and I use it for broadstroke beefing up and fattening of tracks mainly.

The big upshot of the C1 is that all of Softube's plug ins work with it and you can mix and match EQ and compressor sections from anything in their product line.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I own all Channels and preety all Softube FX , so it's a pleasure , if you want a trident eq or passive one , a cl1 B comp or a Fet .... ect ....so it's reall fun to use ....also UAD is another superb option . I don't know if i would have bougth all chennels if i had all the C1 uad compatible stuff ...

As for the sound it really depends on projects and tracks ....for me the all arounders are def the SSL ... anyb ody could mix any style with those ....

For rock and acoustic based hip hop , the API and Zerner will rock ...and the neve and summit i susually love those for vocals and instruments ....the TLA 100 comp is even used on some beats ....

Pretty always same sweet psot moves so not so good if abused ....

But again it depends on sources ...the quality of the drives makes other drive plugin useless when i'm fast unless i want a specific thing (others get used during product as part of the sound)

I love to use the drive to counter clikiness on some api /zener snap ....just like the real thing does to transients ....

And lately the weiss is a piece of art ... and i can say this with the control of all GS , this strip sounds and feel like HW !!

So to answer your question if i had to keep 3

SSL 9000
Zener
Weiss
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

You specified "lean and mean ITB mix rig," so I'm not going to include the Weiss's, although I absolutely love 'em and having them available in Console 1 (not that they can't be great for mixing as well, but I use them at the mastering stage). Same reason for not including the NEVE Console (I track through Neve). I didn't pick up the 9000 K, but I think the 4000 E works quickly and well for mixing (just like in analogue!). The API would be a great complement to the SSL (or vice versa).

I'd also want the Zener-Bender and Germanium options at the mixbus stage. Finally, I absolutely love the Summit's and we've got to get some tube love in here with all the SS. I have hardware, and Softube got *really* close. I know there were people on this forum who sold their hardware after shooting it out with the plugins. I will not, but I have a couple of Summit pre's as well, so those anchor me quite contentedly into the Dave Hill universe. I also think they've done a great job on the Tube-Tech's...I just find myself gravitating more personally to the Summit's over those.

So my C1 mix rig would be:

SSL 4000 E
American Class A
Chandler Limited Zener-Bender
Chandler Limited Germanium
Summit Audio Grand Channel
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
SSL 9000
Zener
Weiss
Hi Jeezo, if you had to choose between 9k and Weiss?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

SSL 4000E vs Weiss Gambit. +4db Low/High Bells.
Attached Thumbnails
Softube and Weiss Release EQ1, Gambit Series for Console 1 and Complete Collection-ssl-4000e.png   Softube and Weiss Release EQ1, Gambit Series for Console 1 and Complete Collection-weiss-gambit.png  
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
Isn't it possible to match the Q settings for this exercise ?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
For me, the SSL 9000 strip and the API are the two best.

The big upshot of the C1 is that all of Softube's plug ins work with it and you can mix and match EQ and compressor sections from anything in their product line.
Those are two complementary flavors to have, so i'm happy to hear they did a great job on their emulations.

I used to have a 64 channel API Vision and when I listen back to those mixes now I grin ear to ear from the midrange punch. A flipping great sound to have in the bag for when it works.

We use PT and Reaper. Is C1 stable in PT?

Quote:
SSL 9000
Zener
Weiss
Thanks Jeezo. I'm lovin your guys enthusiasm for C1. I had a feeling it was bad ass all these years, but never had a reason to investigate till now. Sounds like I need to try them all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
SSL 4000 E
American Class A
Chandler Limited Zener-Bender
Chandler Limited Germanium
Summit Audio Grand Channel
We have some summit hardware here and so if they nailed that sound in the C1 that alone would be quite exciting. 32 channels of that on certain tunes would be unreal. Im all about limitations these days...

Ok guys, Im sold. Looking forward to a consistent interface track to track. Thank you!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Isn't it possible to match the Q settings for this exercise ?
Hi,

C1 have fixed Q for high and low bells/shelves.

Daniel.
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

C1 have fixed Q for high and low bells/shelves.

Daniel.
I see, I've never had it on my screen, no idea.
cheers
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Protools has the least amount of Console One integration. It will not auto rename your channels for you. It won't track follow. If you're going to use Console One, you'd have to do Reaper if you really want to enjoy working with it.

I wouldn't bother with it in Protools because you'll get too caught up in the making sure the track you selected in PT is the same that's selected on Console One and renaming them, etc...I actually don't think C1 will re-arrange track order either, unfortunately. So if you decide to move channel 34 up to channel 16 in PT, it won't follow that move and you'll have to manually move it in C1.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wouldn't look at the curves and just go by your ears.

When I'm using the C1, I try to not even pay attention to the FR view because it always looks off to me. I have a buddy who keeps keeps it on the view where it only shows generic knobs and no FR view so it forces him to just use his ears.
Old 17 hours ago
Gear Nut

Finally bought the whole Weiss Collection yesterday after testing it for a whole month. I can get it to sound really good really fast and that's what's important. EQ1 proved to be something I can count on being transparent, smooth and sweet whatever the task I want to achieve. It's great on some demanding tracks, buses and on a master bus too. Dynamic features are amazing.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who helped me make my mind up and shared tips on how to make Equilibrium sound similar or, in some cases, better. I compared them thoroughly and I learned more about Equilibrium, but EQ1 is still proved to be indespensable to me. This thread helped me pay more attention to subtle aspects of this processor, so thank you all. In the end I'm not expecting it to work and decide instead of me, and I'm well beyond the honeymoon by now, but it's the fact that what it aims to do it does very well and I did my best to avoid bias here by testing countless times against other options. It still stands at least on par, in the same league with the best.
Old 17 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyosha View Post
Finally bought the whole Weiss Collection yesterday after testing it for a whole month. I can get it to sound really good really fast and that's what's important. EQ1 proved to be something I can count on being transparent, smooth and sweet whatever the task I want to achieve. It's great on some demanding tracks, buses and on a master bus too. Dynamic features are amazing.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who helped me make my mind up and shared tips on how to make Equilibrium sound similar or, in some cases, better. I compared them thoroughly and I learned more about Equilibrium, but EQ1 is still proved to be indespensable to me. This thread helped me pay more attention to subtle aspects of this processor, so thank you all. In the end I'm not expecting it to work and decide instead of me, and I'm well beyond the honeymoon by now, but it's the fact that what it aims to do it does very well and I did my best to avoid bias here by testing countless times against other options. It still stands at least on par, in the same league with the best.
I'm close to pull the trigger on this one too...workflow and sound are impressive. I reset my Equilibrium demo, testes it against EQ1, and as much as I love this EQ, at the end of the day, I'm not willing to deal with such an immersive interface. I'm more into efficiency/fast process than tweakability/deep settings. In that regard the EQ1 is the perfect balance between musical/clean sounding eq and efficiency in my case. But damn it's a bit expensive.
Old 14 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Those are two complementary flavors to have, so i'm happy to hear they did a great job on their emulations.

I used to have a 64 channel API Vision and when I listen back to those mixes now I grin ear to ear from the midrange punch. A flipping great sound to have in the bag for when it works.

Thanks Jeezo. I'm lovin your guys enthusiasm for C1. I had a feeling it was bad ass all these years, but never had a reason to investigate till now. Sounds like I need to try them all!
We have some summit hardware here and so if they nailed that sound in the C1 that alone would be quite exciting. 32 channels of that on certain tunes would be unreal. Im all about limitations these days...

Ok guys, Im sold. Looking forward to a consistent interface track to track. Thank you!
You re welcome Robb , anytime , pretty sure you will love it .... we focus a lot on the sound , but i swear even if the sound was just ok , i would go for it for the fun it provids wirkflow wise , the ice on the cake being that we get Softube exellence behind that , we can say anything , but softube knows a thing or too when it comes to make great tools ...
Old 13 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I wouldn't look at the curves and just go by your ears.
Hi, it doesn't apply when you can't set by ear a fixed Q setting.

Daniel.
Old 12 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Protools has the least amount of Console One integration. It will not auto rename your channels for you. It won't track follow. If you're going to use Console One, you'd have to do Reaper if you really want to enjoy working with it.

I wouldn't bother with it in Protools because you'll get too caught up in the making sure the track you selected in PT is the same that's selected on Console One and renaming them, etc...I actually don't think C1 will re-arrange track order either, unfortunately. So if you decide to move channel 34 up to channel 16 in PT, it won't follow that move and you'll have to manually move it in C1.
Good to know, thanks man.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search