The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube and Weiss Release EQ1, Gambit Series for Console 1 and Complete Collection
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Right, I'm with you. Yeah they should have an upgrade option that doesn't include the Console 1 strip. Doesn't make any sense for non C1 users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
I do have that one. You can only get the Weiss collection as an upgrade, but that includes Console 1 version. I think that should be a separate product, not included in the collection.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As much as I'd love to demo this and compare it to DMG Equilibrium, at this price I can't even bother.
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Hey, Tom from Softube here. I just want to address upgrade paths and Console 1 not recognizing the new channel strip:

All owners of separate Weiss licences have available upgrade paths to the Weiss Complete Collection. To see your upgrade price, make sure you're logged into your Softube account, and you'll find it on the Weiss Complete Collection product page. Important to note is that you will not get an upgrade price from any Volume collection. Upgrade paths work by sacrificing previous licences, and we wouldn't want to take your whole Volume licence.

About Console 1 not recognizing the new Weiss Gambit Series expansion: older versions of the Console 1 software won't recognize expansions that were released after it. As long as you're running the most recent version of the Console 1 software, you should be golden.

If you're experiencing issues with upgrade prices, the channel strip not working, or really anything else Softube-related, you can always send an email to [email protected].

Hope this helps!
/Tom
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath View Post
As much as I'd love to demo this and compare it to DMG Equilibrium, at this price I can't even bother.
I think that the comparison would be more appropriate with DMG Multiplicity or TDR Nova GE.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I wanted to join the crowd saying why such a price for an old linear phase/ dynamic eq. Until I actually used it and almost bit my tongue off. I get it now and I tried it against TDR, Crave, Equilibrium and Fabfilter Pro-Q3. Worth every cent.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor View Post
I think that the comparison would be more appropriate with DMG Multiplicity or TDR Nova GE.
Fair point. I'll just keep waiting for Black Friday
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I wanted to join the crowd saying why such a price for an old linear phase/ dynamic eq. Until I actually used it and almost bit my tongue off. I get it now and I tried it against TDR, Crave, Equilibrium and Fabfilter Pro-Q3. Worth every cent.
Damnnn it. I gotta try it. Are you talking about the full version or Console 1? Just tried the Gambit Console One strip and that's a no brainer for me but maybe its smarter to get the full bundle so I get everything.

Also - wouldn't surprise me if they eventually come out with smaller, separate EQ1 modules for track use like they did with the DS1 which would make it even more worth it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Please tell us more!

What struck you? What makes this great that you didn't find in your plethora of other options?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Do you have any experience with DMG Multiplicity ? This one seems like a serious competitor to the Weiss EQ-1 judging by the features and users opinions concerning its sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Simply try it. Finished two masters in a quickest possible time, Solved everything that bothered me without hurting the material with such an ease. Both sections (dyn and lp) are the best I had a chance to use. When I intentionally tried to do the same masters with other EQs I was never completely happy.

I didn’t use plugin doctor and didn’t try to match settings. But simply working using my instinct and listening with my ears, like I always do. I wouldn’t come to the same result using other forementioned tools. And of course tried to correct same frequency areas that were bothering me. But with Weiss it was dead simple while with other EQs there was always a trade off. Simply amazing tool it is.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor View Post
Do you have any experience with DMG Multiplicity ? This one seems like a serious competitor to the Weiss EQ-1 judging by the features and users opinions concerning its sound.
I do, and loved it until this moment. But dyn eq in Weiss EQ sounds less processed and more effective in no time. Don’t ask me how this is possible, download it and try it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I do, and loved it until this moment. But dyn eq in Weiss EQ sounds less processed and more effective in no time. Don’t ask me how this is possible, download it and try it.
Thanks for the feedback Jantex, I'm gonna demo it today, just wanted some rough
impressions !
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Will buy the console 1 strip.
Really like it having worked with it for 3 hours now
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sorry for off-topic but on their website if I’m already logged in, are the prices listed already “my” upgrade prices or is that merely the intro offer? I just wanna figure out the price if I already own 1 DS1 license.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Was going to buy Maat's Theqblue today when this was announced. Tested it out. Now I consider getting Weiss.

The price is absolutely fair. If you think it's an alternative to Equlibrium or Pro-Q3, you're missing the point, it's in another league sound-wise. I wasn't ever close to hardware, but when I tested Algorithmix against normal EQs (yes, including SlickEQ M too) it's a night and day difference. Hard to tell why, these ones make the material sing, they sound powerful. If you're used to using other EQs it's like suddenly adding a db here or there is a powerful move that you can feel. It's very musical. With most other plugin EQs it's more like "eh, the frequencies are changed a little".

It's a bit over my budget but after an hour of testing I can already tell it's a great tool.

I saw some people back in the day on the forums saying that Weiss's EQ1 minimum phase mode actually sounds better than the linear phase? Didn't see it that way so far.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have to resist...come on I can do this...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tempted to get the Strip only as I don't have the compressor, just the measly Volume 2 MM plugin which does not count towards a discount. :D However, I notice it is "just" the Low Latency version of the EQ that is included... So, do the other modes sound significantly better? And if you buy the full EQ, can you load it into C1 in say Linear Phase mode? I guess dynamic is not even possible...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The signal to noise ratio at GSlutz is out of control.

Quote:
I am wondering how the Weiss compares to my current goto Sonnox DynEQ.

Curious what frequency ranges you used the Weiss on and where you think it shines?

How is the low end response?

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Way out of my price range at the moment but I'm really interested in seeing where this discussion goes as I own DS-1.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson View Post
The Signal to noise ratio at GSlutz is out of control.

I am interested in using this over my current goto Sonnox DynEQ. Curious what frequency ranges you used the Weiss on?

How is the low end response?
Tried high and low shelves and some deep cuts. Q3 actually seems more dynamic (transients pop out and has a more clear punch), Weiss has a more comfortable smooth sound but also sounds a lot softer.

It was a trade off there, smoothness (Weiss sounds more part of the material) vs a more modern sound (and one that can exaggerate issues more like harshness or edgy transients).

EDIT realized I had Q3 on 12db slope and looks like Weiss is 6 (typical first order). That did reduce some of the livelyness I thought I heard on Q3 and Weiss does sound quite a bit smoother now when soloing the highs on a full mix).

For cuts it sounded smoother as well and helped blend the cut into the material more (on Q3 I felt I could hear the cut off points on either side more).

One thing to note is it seems the freq points are somewhat coarse (don't go in single hz increments) probably due to how the filter is implemented. Also doesn't seem to be a way to type them in directly.

Last edited by Jesse Skeens; 4 weeks ago at 04:46 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

There is no manual for the Weiss Gambit Series yet. Could anyone guess what the drive section, in the Console 1 strip, is?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
sheesh!
499€ for a digital emulation of a 25 year old digital EQ?
You are not the target audience.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgos View Post
There is no manual for the Weiss Gambit Series yet. Could anyone guess what the drive section, in the Console 1 strip, is?
Says it's the Weiss limiter on the product page.

So what features are missing on the c1 version?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
The signal to noise ratio at GSlutz is out of control.
I wonder how do you rate this against Maat. Weiss has the upside of having both the minimum phase and linear phase modes, while Maat has those in 2 different EQs (orange and blue). But Maat's price is competitive if you consider just the one you will use. I'd use both... My orange trial has ended so I can't compare at the moment :/.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyosha View Post
I wonder how do you rate this against Maat. Weiss has the upside of having both the minimum phase and linear phase modes, while Maat has those in 2 different EQs (orange and blue). But Maat's price is competitive if you consider just the one you will use. I'd use both... My orange trial has ended so I can't compare at the moment :/.
I am primarily interested in how the Weiss sounds as a dynamic EQ. ProQ3 sounds good but I much prefer the musicality of the Sonnox filters.

Unfortunately I won't be able to demo the Weiss until later this week.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wald View Post
You are not the target audience.
Well, I am it’s target audience and agree that the price is unreal.
I own the DS1-EQ bundle and think the $90 off is not being very loyal to their customers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsWilsonian View Post
Says it's the Weiss limiter on the product page.

So what features are missing on the c1 version?
Quite a lot of features missing in both the EQ and the Compressor sections in the C1 version.

The EQ in the console One version misses out on the extra EQ bands, Linear phase mode and Dynamic mode.

The compressor doesn’t have the different frequency band compression modes (deessing etc), the different limiter types, as well as the tweak ability of the multi stage release, rms detection and many other controls under the advanced control panel.

I think the console one version is a bargain for mixing but obviously not as versatile for mastering.

As a side note, I just checked the price to upgrade the hardware EQ1 to have the dynamic mode (ie you already own the unit and send it in for the upgrade) on Vintage King ...... $3205. Makes the plugin with all of the different models/features included a bargain!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Kind of sick of being cattleprodded by Softube's prices. I bought the DS-1 Mk3 on intro. It's superb. (But Unisum may actually be better, at least on much of the material I've tried them on - for $150 intro.) Once again I'm stunned at being shown $410 as an "upgrade price" from Mk3 - while Console one owners can get it at a reasonable, market-aware rate. [EDIT: apparently Console version is significantly feature-reduced. Didn't know that.]

So I'll put this Weiss EQ through it's paces against Equilibrium and Multiplicity at their highest quality settings. I'm sure i'll find it to be ergonomically elegant and the sound beautiful, and that it will compare well to the others and maybe require less tweaking in many cases. On the downside, I'll note that people like Robb have printed amazing sounding records without this puppy as recently as a few weeks ago, not to mention the entire modern recording opus, some of which we now know was done in the box, again, without this plugin.

But zooming out, it's pretty clear what Softube's game is, and it's not to become PluginAlliance or Waves: it's to become something more like Avid. They'll put Console One on sale later this year and, yes, I'll consider it, because then you can get all these excellent native motherboard-loading plugs at non-extortionate prices.

But is this the road I want to go down? I think about all the kvetching and moaning I hear and have heard about literally EVERY non-standards-based piece of hardware that people have to plug into their computers to make music, and I start to get the urge to look for alternatives before I even start.

That's what's really chapping my hide about this. The prices I can swing. 1:1 code ports may well be worth the while. But not sure I like a business model that rewards loyalty-dongle ownership while leveling pricing that is comparatively punitive at everyone else.

TL;DR: "Yuck" is not a good feeling to start to have about a vendor.
[EDIT: ^ That may have been a little strong. But hey, sticker shock is a thing.]

Last edited by biomuse; 4 weeks ago at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Omnisum = not a good joke if nobody can tell why it's funny. Also, C1 version=crippleware
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I am primarily interested in how the Weiss sounds as a dynamic EQ. ProQ3 sounds good but I much prefer the musicality of the Sonnox filters.

Unfortunately I won't be able to demo the Weiss until later this week.
You mean Sonnox sounds better to you than Maat Orange/Blue? Not sure what ProQ3 has to do with this, and I'm not the fan, though I know that ProQ can do the job just fine.
Old 4 weeks ago
First impressions when compared to Nova GE (don't have Multiplicity) would make me say that the Weiss sounds smoother/softer, less processed (matching Q, Freq and gain). I feel like I can dig more with the EQ-1 without sounding overdone or altering the balance of the mix. I find the same "tone" in the EQ-1 that I felt with the DS-1 plugin. There's something like a special smoothness/creamy caracter that these plugs seem to apply to the mix. I can't really express it more precisely, but to me, it's definitely there.

The things that really bother me are the fact that we can't enter a digital value in the Weiss (not clever when talking about a mastering tool) and the fact that you can't make dynamic shelf filters. I still think it's a bit pricey for what it delivers, but still a powerful and great sounding tool.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search