The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DDMF Release MagicDeathEye Stereo
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

DDMF Release MagicDeathEye Stereo

DDMF Release MagicDeathEye Stereo-mdestereo.png

Quote:
The second product of the ongoing and very fruitful collaboration with MagicDeathEye is a faithful emulation of their stereo master buss compressor & equalizer. From the description of the hardware: “The stereo compressor is two mono compressor circuits with some extras designed for mastering and buss compression duties. This new version has an added EQ section. There are two (boost only) bands with two frequency selections each. The EQ is worked into the Variable Mu tube gain structure. This means it is not before or after the compression section, it is within it! The EQ circuit is inductor based and has wide curves for giving program material that “little something”. There is also a two frequency low cut for tightening up out of control bass. The boost of the bands can be 5dB or 3dB split between 5 steps. I spent a lot of time shaping this EQ mastering everyday and fine tuning the components on the weekends. It sounds absolutely fabulous!”

So apart from the second channel, which, unlike in its hardware role model, has already been added in the “mono” MDE plugin, we have an added EQ section here, and the compression curve is actually quite different from the mono version. If one would ask about the difference in purpose of the two, the mono compressor would usually go on individual tracks, while the stereo compressor, with its noticeably more gentle compression curve and the additional EQ options, would go on the master buss.

Of course, while trying to stay as close to the hardware as possible sound-wise, we have again taken the liberty to implement some additional goodies in the software plugin: the high frequency EQ can be applied to the full stereo field, the mid or the side signal only. Conversely, for the low frequency range, an optional elliptical filter on the side signal will be very helpful when mastering for vinyl. The amount of harmonic distortion can be varied from 0 to 100 percent, where 50 percent corresponds to the level of the hardware unit. In- and output gain can be linked. Finally, there is an option for 2- or even 4-fold oversampling within the plugin!

Clearly, this magnificent tube compressor is not just a slight variation of the mono model: while effortlessly demonstrating that smooth and musical MagicDeathEye signature sound, it has a different feel to it. The few fortunate people who were already able to score their own build of both the mono and the stereo version (they are hard to come by as Ian is building each and everyone of them by hand) will know what I’m talking about! For the rest of you, now is your chance to compare the two masterpieces in the box!
https://ddmf.eu/magicdeatheyestereo/

$149, or $99 for MDE1 owners.

Now for some hidden functions...

Control click the input knob or output knob to link them. A link arrow will show up under the threshold knob and the input and output knobs become linked together. Rotating either, rotates the other in the opposite direction. The input still effects the threshold so a little extra adjustment on the threshold knob may be necessary to retain a constant level. The meters will start to fash red when clipping has started effecting the signal.

There is clipping available at high input levels. A subtle rounding of the waveform allows some extra apparent level to be gained without audible distortion. Clipping is activated when the input is past around the 3/4 mark of the rotation depending on how much level is entering the plug-in, you may have to turn it up more or less than that. Naturally you will want to turn down the output knob to retain a constant level.

Ctrl clicking the high boost knob will engage the mid/side function. Ctrl click the knob once and “mid” will show up on the knob indicating only the mono potion of the music will be boosted at the selected frequency. Ctrl clicking again will show “side” on the knob and only the stereo portion of the music will be boosted. Ctrl click once more and you are back in stereo mode.

Control Clicking the low frequency knob will engage an elliptical filter for the low end. “Mono” will show up on the knob and the left and right low end below the selected frequency will be summed together. This is useful for tightening up the low end of a song that has “phase-y” synths or guitar under 100Hz. Or perhaps a kick isn’t centred in a drum sample. It will focus the low end and make things feel punchier if not so already.

Control click the Magic Death Eye logo tag to engage X1 oversampling. Another click for 2X oversampling. A third click to get back to normal processing. The logo tag will turn colors and text below it will indicate the oversampling rate.

Click and drag the area above the word “balance” to add harmonic distortion above and below the modelled distortion inherent in the hardware generated by the vacuum tubes and transformers. A window pops up indicating the percentage of distortion added or taken away. The “status” lights will turn from green (0%) distortion to red (100%) distortion. They will only turn that colour when signal is present, but it is a good way to know at a glance if your adding or subtracting harmonic content from the normal amount which is 50% and yellow.

It is a subtle effect and can be best described as “thickening” the sound as more harmonic content is added.
This effect is equal for both left and right program and cannot be separated.

Attached Thumbnails
DDMF Release MagicDeathEye Stereo-mdestereo.png  

Last edited by Diogo C; 2 weeks ago at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Picture added
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I am going to demo this very soon! The "normal" MDE is already amazing! Thanks a lot for the extra discount! Until when are the discounts in place?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

EDIT: Already fixed!

The bundle price shows $1999.00

Yes, I'm sure this is a mistake (probably meant to be $199.00) and will be corrected shortly.

Congrats on the release and looking forward to trying it out!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just saw the email.

Testing time! Mono version is already great wonder what this brings to the table.

PS: the feature set sounds good
Old 2 weeks ago
Please stop developing all those sexy beauties!! I tried it on the mixbus, some synths and vocals and i can only say this thing is definitely a pain to remove once you hear what it does to the signal's image, depth and tone. I will need some more time with it but i already like it and it's going to be very difficult to resist.
Old 2 weeks ago
Couldn't resist. Thanks to DDMF for the discount and the very useful features added (OS, M/S, saturation control, etc.) !
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

INSTANT BUY!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Testing the demo. Is the oversampling implemented correctly? There's quite a difference between no oversampling and the two other modes. I much prefer it without any.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Guess the big question is how much appreciable goo this brings compared to the original plug, combined with one of the nicer eq plugs available.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The manual states the extra features. It is AWESOME!!!!

Now for some hidden functions.

These are additions not available on the hardware. Why not right? Control click the input knob or output knob to link them.
There is clipping available at high input levels. A subtle rounding of the waveform allows some extra apparent level to be gained without audible distortion. Clipping is activated when the input is past around the 3/4 mark of the rotation depending on how much level is entering the plug-in, you may have to turn it up more or less than that. Naturally you will want to turn down the output knob to retain a constant level. A good way to easily turn up the input knob and turn down the output knob at the same time is to Ctrl click either the input knob or the output knob. A link arrow will show up under the threshold knob and the input and output knobs become linked together. Rotating either, rotates the other in the opposite direction. The input still effects the threshold so a little extra adjustment on the threshold knob may be necessary to retain a constant level. The meters will start to fash red when clipping has started effecting the signal.

Control click the high frequency boost knob

Ctrl clicking the high boost knob will engage the mid/side function. Ctrl click the knob once and “mid” will show up on the knob indicating only the mono potion of the music will be boosted at the selected frequency. Ctrl clicking again will show “side” on the knob and only the stereo portion of the music will be boosted. Ctrl click once more and you are back in stereo mode.

Control Clicking the low frequency knob

This will engage an elliptical flter for the low end. “Mono” will show up on the knob and the left and right low end below the selected frequency will be summed together. This is useful for tightening up the low end of a song that has “phase-y” synths or guitar under 100Hz. Or perhaps a kick isn’t centered in a drum sample. It will focus the low end and make things feel punchier if not so already.

Control click the Magic Death Eye logo tag.

This will engage X1 oversampling. Another click for 2X oversampling. A third click to get back to normal processing. The logo tag will turn colors and text below it will indicate the oversampling rate.

Click and drag the area above the word “balance”.

On the hardware the two adjust screws in this position balance the tube circuit for least distortion. Since this is a model of the compressor that function wasn’t needed. But we wanted to have some fun and allow the user to add harmonic distortion above and below the modeled distortion inherent in the hardware generated by the vacuum tubes and transformers.
When the area above “balance” is clicked a window pops up indicating the percentage of distortion added or taken away. The “status” lights will turn from green (0%) distortion to red (100%) distortion. They will only turn that color when signal is present, but it is a good way to know at a glance if your adding or subtracting harmonic content from the normal amount which is 50% and yellow.
It is a subtle effect and can be best described as “thickening” the sound as more harmonic content is added.
This effect is equal for both left and right program and cannot be separated.

Last edited by Ribbonmicguy; 2 weeks ago at 05:15 PM.. Reason: spacing
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

This is a lovely compressor, the eq is lush too.
You can get a lovely 40hz bump
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Love the look and quick test= , no mix knob on this one right?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Guess the big question is how much appreciable goo this brings compared to the original plug, combined with one of the nicer eq plugs available.
Yup. MDE + Magpha + (Aroma or DSP Reviver) vs MDE2 is my first comparison lined up.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbonmicguy View Post
The manual states the extra features. It is AWESOME!!!!
Thanks, I'll add that to the first post.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Guyz can we have control other the threahold and gain structure independatly , i have link threshold off and no way ...to get independant compression .....
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

By the way , where's Laura ? (yep i named her like that)
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
By the way , where's Laura ? (yep i named her like that)
+1 for Laura !

I looked for her the first time I engaged the comp, but saw she's not there.
Clicking on the logo change the Oversampling.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Guyz can we have control other the threahold and gain structure independatly , i have link threshold off and no way ...to get independant compression .....
I can't figure out how to do this either.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor View Post
+1 for Laura !

I looked for her the first time I engaged the comp, but saw she's not there.
Clicking on the logo change the Oversampling.
Quarantine i guess ...

Ok for me it's punchier , love it , is it the same circuit / algo ? i def feel a diff !!

EDIT : ok it's stated in the description my bad , i def found this one more Zener ' essque !!!

SUPERBE is the world , and those EQ are actually surprising me .... with all the crazy EQ's i have for this task , those makes shaping wide color a pure Joy !!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Great new toy for the master bus competition
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Quarantine i guess ...

Ok for me it's punchier , love it , is it the same circuit / algo ? i def feel a diff !!
It seems that one of the big difference is that it's true stereo path meaning two mono circuits. The first version is a mono one. So maybe it adds to the separation of both channels and add a bit of caracter.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ok I am going to assume 1x oversampling means it is no oversampling, so then what is its normal mode?
(Normal, 1x, 2x)?

thanks
rsp
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Testing the demo. Is the oversampling implemented correctly? There's quite a difference between no oversampling and the two other modes. I much prefer it without any.

Similar to my question, you with the golden ears.

Maybe Normal is not no oversampling but maybe 4x oversampling or something like that,
then 1x is no oversampling and 2x well obviously twice the project sample frequency.
rsp
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It is very easy/quick to tweak a mix with this. The low cut at 30 feels a lot higher than that, so using it at 20Hz and then boosting at 40Hz (mono engaged) works nicely. Side push (12K) via the EQ is great, as are the harmonics at around 60-70%.

Yet to compare to MDE1 + other plugins.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Sounds like DDMFs typical oversampling (ie metaplugin). Not great oversampling IMO.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
Ok I am going to assume 1x oversampling means it is no oversampling, so then what is its normal mode?
(Normal, 1x, 2x)?

thanks
rsp
X1 = X2
X2 = X4

basically X1 meaning oversampled one time
X2 means oversampled 2 time witch means that respectivally the original value is double (X1) and quadrapuled(X2 , CPU hogging in that case)

Misleading indeed ....
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
It is very easy/quick to tweak a mix with this. The low cut at 30 feels a lot higher than that, so using it at 20Hz and then boosting at 40Hz (mono engaged) works nicely. Side push (12K) via the EQ is great, as are the harmonics at around 60-70%.

Yet to compare to MDE1 + other plugins.
I do feel a diff curve and sidechain on the low for sure ... highs are exited , gotta figure if it's high end sideachain , transients or both !! More ears appreciated guyz , anyway Superb release imho
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
X1 = X2
X2 = X4

basically X1 meaning oversampled one time
X2 means oversampled 2 time witch means that respectivally the original value is double (X1) and quadrapuled(X2)

Misleading indeed ....
o.k.. then
Thanks,

rsp
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

In Live there is no latency reported with X1 or X2 active
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What a sick plugin : )

That mono bass feature was totally unnecessary and yet totally welcome. This plug was already great and now it's like the Swiss Army knife of mojo boxes.

Nay, it's the King of Mojoville.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search