The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TBProAudio releases DSEQ, a dynamic spectral equalizer for Windows and Mac OS X
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Software TBProAudio releases DSEQ, a dynamic spectral equalizer for Windows and Mac OS X

TBProAudio has released DSEQ, a dynamic processor working in the frequency domain. DSEQ is removing digital harshness on the fly thanks to self-adjusting frequency bands.

DSEQ can be used in all mix and master situations:
  • de-essing vocals
  • taming resonances in e.g. drum, guitar, vocal recordings
  • removing digital harshness
  • balancing the mix
  • de-masking frequency regions
  • support of pink noise mixing/mastering

Intro Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQvId46A6c

DSEQ offers following features:
  • smooth linear phase dynamic filter
  • full frequency range processing, 10Hz – 22kHz
  • 4 different quality modes: eco, normal, high and ultra
  • left/right and mid/side processing
  • global slope for detector signal (e.g. pink noise mixing/mastering)
  • 12 independent pre-filter bands
  • side-chain support
  • multiple signal monitoring modes (pre-filter, delta, side chain)
  • multiple spectrum analyzing modes (stereo, left, right, mid, side)
  • perceptual loudness matching (powered by AB-LM Lite)
  • extended input/output meter, Peak/RMS/EBU/VU
  • narrow-band sweeping mode
  • sample exact A/B toggle for all processing modes
  • sample rates min. up to 192 kHz
  • "real" over sampling, up to 4x
  • EQ cheat sheets
  • precise parameter input
  • easy to use GUI
  • GUI resize up to 2x
  • preset management
  • full DAW automation support
  • 64-bit internal processing
  • very efficient CPU usage design

System Requirements:
  • Windows XP or newer
  • Mac OS X 10.9 or newer
  • Win: 32/64 Bit VST, 32/64 Bit VST3, 32 Bit RTAS
  • OS X: 32/64 Bit VST, 32/64 Bit VST3, 32/64 Bit AU, 32 Bit RTAS
  • Tested with: Reaper, Cubase/Nuendo/Wavelab, FL Studio, ProTools, Logic Pro X, Ableton, Studio One, Reason, Bitwig

Demo version available

Price: 79€
Old 19th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Removing digital harshness? Sounds soothing.
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

This is sounding really good so far.. especially when used very subtly. I'm liking low thresholds with sharp selectivity, just taking a tiny bit of gunk out. I definitely prefer "darker" slopes than 3dB personally so it's handy to be able adjust that so easily..

CPU usage seems quite low even at ultra quality but the oversampling sounds very odd here.. completely changes (exaggerates) the processing. I haven't looked at the manual yet so it may be explained there..

I often find these sorts of processors very promising and then fall out of love with them over time.. will have to give this one some more time but definitely digging it so far!
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
... but the oversampling sounds very odd here.. completely changes (exaggerates) the processing. I haven't looked at the manual yet so it may be explained there..
Yes, sound is different, sure. If you do not like it, switch OS off, or use less threshold
Old 19th April 2020
Gear Maniac
Strictly linear phase? But why there is no a minimim phase switch there? Is it a Soothe-style tool? Difference?
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBProAudio View Post
Yes, sound is different, sure. If you do not like it, switch OS off, or use less threshold
Personally I think it'd be great from a workflow perspective to have the threshold adjusted automatically as you switch OS modes so that they are at least more similar in gain reduction..

Alternatively, having an A/B compare option would enable me to set the different thresholds and compare the oversampling modes properly at comparable gain reduction amounts.

Actually, I've wished for an A/B compare a few times already while trying this thing out!

I really like the GR multiplier.. very handy! The metering options on the right are great and very well thought-out.. I love having in/out metering of both RMS and short-term/momentary loudness!
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Just a question: If I'm not using over-sampling is the magnitude response of the dynamic EQ distorted as it approaches nyquist?

From the manual I would have assumed yes, yet when I analyse the pre-filters they don't seem to be distorting as I would expect (44.1kHz, no OS).

I did notice that when I enable over-sampling that the pre-filters seem to be affected, that is 2xOS will shift a 4kHz filter to 2kHz and 4xOS to 1kHz. Could this be a bug?
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Flux View Post
Strictly linear phase? But why there is no a minimim phase switch there? Is it a Soothe-style tool? Difference?
Well, IIR filter create phasing when dimming singular frequencies...
Not the effect you want to hear
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Personally I think it'd be great from a workflow perspective to have the threshold adjusted automatically as you switch OS modes so that they are at least more similar in gain reduction..

Alternatively, having an A/B compare option would enable me to set the different thresholds and compare the oversampling modes properly at comparable gain reduction amounts.

Actually, I've wished for an A/B compare a few times already while trying this thing out!
OS in the frequency domain is to some extend unpredictable, but makes smoother sound. In any case we will see what we can do here

A/B: nice idea, we may add this in a future release. In any case you have always the bypass button...
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just a question: If I'm not using over-sampling is the magnitude response of the dynamic EQ distorted as it approaches nyquist?

From the manual I would have assumed yes, yet when I analyse the pre-filters they don't seem to be distorting as I would expect (44.1kHz, no OS).

I did notice that when I enable over-sampling that the pre-filters seem to be affected, that is 2xOS will shift a 4kHz filter to 2kHz and 4xOS to 1kHz. Could this be a bug?
Pre-filters do not work directly on the signal, but only on the signal fed into the dynamic equalizers. So the signal cannot be distorted by DSEQ near Nyquist

Pre-filters work correctly in respect to OS. You can check your self:

1) default preset
2) slope to 0.0
3) white noise signal, -18dBFS peak.
4) set one filter to peak, 10kHz, 30.0 sens and 30.0 Q.
5) set OS as you want

Look at the spectrum view during change of filter frequency. Also check with any frequ analyser.
You can move the filter frequency close to Nyquist. You will see a nicely analogue matched filter response.
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
A/B: nice idea, we may add this in a future release. In any case you have always the bypass button...
I'm constantly trying different approaches to achieve a similar result with this thing so A/B compare would be awesome in the future! I'm using multiple instances with different settings at the moment and bypassing them..

Quote:
Pre-filters do not work directly on the signal, but only on the signal fed into the dynamic equalizers. So the signal cannot be distorted by DSEQ near Nyquist

Pre-filters work correctly in respect to OS. You can check your self:

1) default preset
2) slope to 0.0
3) white noise signal, -18dBFS peak.
4) set one filter to peak, 10kHz, 30.0 sens and 30.0 Q.
5) set OS as you want

Look at the spectrum view during change of filter frequency. Also check with any frequ analyser.
You can move the filter frequency close to Nyquist. You will see a nicely analogue matched filter response.
I did notice the analogue filter response and was pleased!

I just checked again with your instructions (just using an impulse instead of white noise) and seem to be getting the same results. Maybe I'm being daft, I'll upload some pics for you to check:

- - -

What would be the benefit of using the over-sampling with this processor design in your opinion? I feel like it sounds good without OS but is there a particular use-case that you think would benefit from using the OS? I would guess I'd usually be using DSEQ for relatively small amounts of gain reduction but would a high GR use-case benefit more from OS?

One last question/suggestion (I don't wanna hog the thread haha): Is there any possibility/use in having multiplication factors of less than 1.0 on the GR multiplier? I'd love to hear what it sounds like with a lower/deeper threshold that I could then ease off the GR amount with a sub-1.0 GR multiplier.

Another idea born from the same use-case would be to have a relative threshold mode but I have no idea if this would be possible with this processor?
Attached Thumbnails
TBProAudio releases DSEQ, a dynamic spectral equalizer for Windows and Mac OS X-tbpa-dseq-osx1.jpg   TBProAudio releases DSEQ, a dynamic spectral equalizer for Windows and Mac OS X-tbpa-dseq-osx2.jpg   TBProAudio releases DSEQ, a dynamic spectral equalizer for Windows and Mac OS X-tbpa-dseq-osx4.jpg  
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Arg, I thought we fixed this already in the pre-release...
In any case: will be fixed in the next release, coming soon.
Thank you for spotting this
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
What would be the benefit of using the over-sampling with this processor design in your opinion? I feel like it sounds good without OS but is there a particular use-case that you think would benefit from using the OS? I would guess I'd usually be using DSEQ for relatively small amounts of gain reduction but would a high GR use-case benefit more from OS?
I cannot tell you exactly, you need to find out your self
We found that OS is sometimes more appealing on specific sound material...
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
One last question/suggestion (I don't wanna hog the thread haha): Is there any possibility/use in having multiplication factors of less than 1.0 on the GR multiplier? I'd love to hear what it sounds like with a lower/deeper threshold that I could then ease off the GR amount with a sub-1.0 GR multiplier.

Another idea born from the same use-case would be to have a relative threshold mode but I have no idea if this would be possible with this processor?
GR Factor < 1: hmm, we need to try out.
Relative threshold: I'm not sure but relative to what? Current loudness level? We do not believe in this kind of concepts, very unpredictable...
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Update 1.0.1:
- FIX: wrong pre-filter monitor setting during OS
Old 19th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Looks very interesting! Will demo soon....
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Looks good. I have MeldaSpectralDynamics but this is a better approach and way way better GUI. I absolutely love this Interface! Will try.
Old 19th April 2020
Gear Nut

Superb plugin, took me just a little while on various kinds of material and I can already see how this will help in many kinds of projects. Shows once again why TBProAudio is one of the best indie plugin developers out there IMO. They fly under the radar with virtually no marketing, and they deserve to get more recognition.

Anyway, I've tried this plugin on a variety of material so far, and it has rescued a painfully bad sibilance-laden mess of a client recording, de-harshed some location microphones in post production, and gently smoothed digital harshness in some old masters I did years ago. Just great so far. I think there's a little spark of magic in the algorithms, and I'm looking forward to really putting this to work. Given my positive experience with other TBProAudio plugins, I think this will likely become a staple in my projects.

This plugin will no doubt spark comparisons to other spectral equalizers on the market of course, YMMV, but to my ears I get the sense I can push this a little more than a certain competitor (no disrespect intended), there's a little more flexibility with the design IMO, and the sound is very smooth indeed. The CPU hit is relatively low, and the resizable UI is excellent. It also has some really great unique features like AB-LM Lite, which is super helpful in mastering IMO, plus really good little useful UI refinements like excellent meter options, EQ cheat sheet, etc. But above all, it sounds great so far.

We live in an amazing time with so many great products out there -- I don't want to take anything away from the great stuff on the market. But when I first ran into TBProAudio, I felt lucky to find this indie developer that consistently delivers top-notch, thoughtfully designed, great-sounding professional plugins for a reasonable price. Wish them the best of luck with this new one.
Old 19th April 2020
Gear Nut

If I could ask for just one thing
its the ability to have different oversampling levels for online and offline/render

example have no oversampling online to save cpu
but have 4x when rendering/offline automatically
Old 19th April 2020
Gear Maniac
Useful (maybe) feature requests/improvements:

- GR is really small in the lower left corner. Can you make it bigger? Or more visible like Slope/Selectivity/Ch.Link/Attack/Release knobs?
- Modes. There are only MS and LR. Is it possible to implement separate modes, like Left Only, Right Only, Mid Only, Side Only? Or to make 2 independent windows for both channels (L and R; M and S) independent adjustments, not general all-mode-at-once processing. Such as, for example, separate independent M threshold, independent M gain reduction, independent S threshold, independent M pre-filters, independent selectivity... What for? More adjustments, less stereo imaging reduction. It maybe be more advanced than ChLink, but to make ChLink knob available only for full MS or LR as it is now (for simpler, not advanced, less surgical equing). Or something like that...
- filter parameter: slopes for all (shelves, peaks, shelf tilt) as well for more surgical/sensitive adjustments. For example, 48 dB/oct for peaks or high shelf...
- Quality: more than Ultra (Ultra 2, even Ultra 3)? So, it will use more FFT processing, yeah? But it is more harmonically precise, better for lows, mids, notching, sharper precision =)
Old 19th April 2020
Just reporting that the VST3 is not working at all in cubase 10.0.50 over here, when active, no sound passes, when bypass is clicked, the plugin produces a noise and audio still does not pass. MacOS 10.13.6
Old 20th April 2020
Gear Addict

looking forward to giving this a go!
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear

So is threshold on here similar to depth on soothe? Mutt demo is up tomorrow for soothe and I was going to pull the trigger but this is cheaper and offers similar results I'm assuming. I'll demo tomorrow when I go to the studio
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post
If I could ask for just one thing
its the ability to have different oversampling levels for online and offline/render

example have no oversampling online to save cpu
but have 4x when rendering/offline automatically
Hmm, DSEQ oversampling works not like "normal" comp or EQ oversampling. So sound can be very different.

In any case what is the use to mix in 1xOS (aka no OS) and render in 4xOS?
At least here in our studios we want to listen to what we are rendering/exporting and visa versa. Sorry, still do no get the point here
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Flux View Post
Useful (maybe) feature requests/improvements:

- GR is really small in the lower left corner. Can you make it bigger? Or more visible like Slope/Selectivity/Ch.Link/Attack/Release knobs?
- Modes. There are only MS and LR. Is it possible to implement separate modes, like Left Only, Right Only, Mid Only, Side Only? Or to make 2 independent windows for both channels (L and R; M and S) independent adjustments, not general all-mode-at-once processing. Such as, for example, separate independent M threshold, independent M gain reduction, independent S threshold, independent M pre-filters, independent selectivity... What for? More adjustments, less stereo imaging reduction. It maybe be more advanced than ChLink, but to make ChLink knob available only for full MS or LR as it is now (for simpler, not advanced, less surgical equing). Or something like that...
- filter parameter: slopes for all (shelves, peaks, shelf tilt) as well for more surgical/sensitive adjustments. For example, 48 dB/oct for peaks or high shelf...
- Quality: more than Ultra (Ultra 2, even Ultra 3)? So, it will use more FFT processing, yeah? But it is more harmonically precise, better for lows, mids, notching, sharper precision =)
Thank you for useful feedback:
  • GR factor: let us think if this could make sense. We are not using this parameter very much in our daily work as it can drastically and unpredictable impact the sound. 1x is good for 90% of the material...
  • Modes: DSEQ can work independently on single channels. Just look at the preset "Master - pop". You can even directly control the impact of the threshold on a singular channel by using the filter type "gain".
  • Filter parameter: we will thing about implementing slopes for peak and shelf filter
  • Quality: yes, ultra 2 could be added easily
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by method1 View Post
Just reporting that the VST3 is not working at all in cubase 10.0.50 over here, when active, no sound passes, when bypass is clicked, the plugin produces a noise and audio still does not pass. MacOS 10.13.6
Will check asap, thank you.
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
So is threshold on here similar to depth on soothe?
Threshold works like the threshold of a normal compressor, which is absolute level based.
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear

looks like soothe? somebody compared it already to it. I will check it today, since soothe2 is a mainstay.

Congratz for the release it looks very nice!

PS: Plz add in the first post a direct link to the product!
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
looks like soothe? somebody compared it already to it. I will check it today, since soothe2 is a mainstay.

Congratz for the release it looks very nice!

PS: Plz add in the first post a direct link to the product!
Thank you!
Link is in the first line of the post ("DSEQ")
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear

... sorry !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search