The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TBProAudio releases DSEQ, a dynamic spectral equalizer for Windows and Mac OS X
Old 5 days ago
just a quick question to the programmed/owner - sorry, didn't catch you name.
if this was already covered I apologize but I can't go through all 18 pages.

regarding the slope and the pre-filter. they basically act similarly the slope being a more "rudimentary" form of affecting the spectrum - it's just a tilt with 1KHz center, right? so if one uses both, lets say slope of +6 and then emphasis on a specific high-freq with a steeper bell for example, then we end up with one filter on top of the other, do they act in slightly different places in the internal chain, how does it work?

thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastervargas View Post
just a quick question to the programmed/owner - sorry, didn't catch you name.
if this was already covered I apologize but I can't go through all 18 pages.

regarding the slope and the pre-filter. they basically act similarly the slope being a more "rudimentary" form of affecting the spectrum - it's just a tilt with 1KHz center, right? so if one uses both, lets say slope of +6 and then emphasis on a specific high-freq with a steeper bell for example, then we end up with one filter on top of the other, do they act in slightly different places in the internal chain, how does it work?

thanks!
pre-filter first then slope.
You could also use the pre-filter type "tilt" and set slope to 0.0, very similar effect. Both finally add.

Please to note that only the input signal (main or SC) for the dynamic EQS is affected by pre-filter and slope. The dynamic EQs finally work on the (untouched) main signal.
Old 5 days ago
thanks!

yes, yes, that's pretty obvious that the main signal will not be filtered according to the pre-filter or tilt. only the signal with which we want to trigger the action ... speaking of which I'm not sure why you say "main OR SC". isn't the filtered or/and tilted signal the actual SC signal? or am I missing something
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

How is DSEQ in comparison to essence? Similar tricks can be done?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsyourself View Post
As far as the video goes, I would start with some killer examples of what it can do on a few quite different tracks - get people excited and impressed. That is what they want to know first. After an inspiring demo, I would demonstrate quite briefly how you got there, and hopefully show how easy and quick it was. After that, you can go through all the fine controls if you want. If it is good, people will be reaching for their wallet long before you get to what the output knob does.
Because that is what people will respond to - an overview, quick demo, and then, if they are interested the finer points. There is nothing so off putting as the many videos which start with, " the first control is input, you turn up or down", then 10 min of twiddllng every knob, with the viewer having no idea what effect they will have. Get to the point straightaway. Most people will try it out in this way, some of us will never master the finer settings, because we want a straightforward and quick way. Or we are lazy
Exactly. Great audio examples first, with enough time (seconds) when switching back/forth between pre and post DSEQ to let people really hear it. So many vids out there mess that up (too fast A/B, talking over it, BG music etc), which is mind bogglingly stupid :¬)

Start simple and easy (i.e. clean a vocal without moving anything except the threshold) and then get more complex. People want an easier life, showing people how easy/simply it can be used to great benefit is where you'll get the most sales. Then advance on that easy example by tweaking a couple of simple things (deess more, remove more specific mud) etc. Then go further if you wish. Then do the same on guitar etc.

Simple/easy > advanced is the key.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
I would love a video of what this can do.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Exactly. Great audio examples first, with enough time (seconds) when switching back/forth between pre and post DSEQ to let people really hear it. So many vids out there mess that up (too fast A/B, talking over it, BG music etc), which is mind bogglingly stupid :¬)

Start simple and easy (i.e. clean a vocal without moving anything except the threshold) and then get more complex. People want an easier life, showing people how easy/simply it can be used to great benefit is where you'll get the most sales. Then advance on that easy example by tweaking a couple of simple things (deess more, remove more specific mud) etc. Then go further if you wish. Then do the same on guitar etc.

Simple/easy > advanced is the key.
Agree on the audio examples. The number of times I have waded through a video, eager to hear it, then after some dull explanations, near the end they quickly A/B some totally inappropriate material, talking all the time, and not letting your ear adjust to the before and after. Then I give up on it.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastervargas View Post
thanks!

yes, yes, that's pretty obvious that the main signal will not be filtered according to the pre-filter or tilt. only the signal with which we want to trigger the action ... speaking of which I'm not sure why you say "main OR SC". isn't the filtered or/and tilted signal the actual SC signal? or am I missing something
Hmm, I do not get it now.
You can use the (normal) main signal as trigger for the EQs, which affects finally the main signal. Or you can use the side chain signal as trigger for the EQs.
Old 5 days ago
no worries, it's clear now. many thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBProAudio View Post
reset to default
let your audio run
look at the spectrum slope value and set the slope parameter a little bit higher
Decrease the threshold until you notice the gain reduction

that's basically all. Later you can focus the processor on specific frequency regions with the pre-filter.
Potential for an 'auto' button?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhuds View Post
Potential for an 'auto' button?
Thank you for this. We will see what we can do here
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Even though I always use it, I feel like I could get better results and use it in other situations if I saw some video with examples. It has quite a few controls and many different results can be obtained by combining these controls.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Can the bypass switch also bypass the output gain otherwise it makes it hard to do proper comparisons / keep the gain structure consistent.
Thx
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBProAudio View Post
Thank you for this. We will see what we can do here
Can you come over and turn the knobs for me?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post
Can the bypass switch also bypass the output gain otherwise it makes it hard to do proper comparisons / keep the gain structure consistent.
Thx
Try engaging the AB_LM button in the top right corner. This attempts to gain match the before and after signal
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post
Thx
Should be available with V1.3.1 (from our web site)
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughnuts View Post
Try engaging the AB_LM button in the top right corner. This attempts to gain match the before and after signal

This is good for judging the effect no doubt, but I wonder, do people turn this off when bouncing down when it's on the mixbus?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlegs View Post
This is good for judging the effect no doubt, but I wonder, do people turn this off when bouncing down when it's on the mixbus?
No, don't turn it off, leave it on.
You want to bounce at the same level you are hearing it at.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlegs View Post
My understanding may be wrong but I don't use AB_LM and match the gain manually instead for every dynamic process like compression or in this case spectral dynamic EQ with a threshold and attack/release parameters..

This is because any automatic gain matching shapes the envelope of the sound and I don't want to have two sets of dynamic shaper tools on top of each other.

I think this is especially valid with DSEQ as there's no access to the RMS measurement or window size like there is in the non-lite versions.

I have the full AB_LM plug-in as well as the free Reaper script and follow this principle with all compressors like I said.

If I'm mistaken, I'm happy to stand corrected! I don't know how AB_LM works exactly, but I do know someone who does!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I use the manual match mode in AB_LM when I'm happy. Set a 9000ms window and get a good average place, vibe out a good point in the mix and move on.

As a new workflow, I'm thinking of trying using AB_LM as the guide and manually gain staging with a utility plugin.

I'd never want to leave AB_LM on auto when mixing so I wouldn't do it inside DSEQ either.

It can sound cool though... I've not been using the full AB_LM long so I'll experiment at a later time with leaving it running auto.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncovered Pitch View Post
...I think this is especially valid with DSEQ as there's no access to the RMS measurement or window size like there is in the non-lite versions...
AB_LM spec is 600ms for fast and 3.000ms for slow measurement.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Really like what I hear about the DSEQ and the developer is very responsive, so I was hoping to pick this up if a demo went well. I tried out the demo in MOTU Digital Performer and unfortunately there are issues. Using the AU version the GUI is frozen although if you click on the controls and drag you can hear that they are working. The VST 3 version has various graphic glitches, stutters and freezes that make it hard to use. I tested it in the Akai MPC software and it worked mostly there, with just a glitch or two graphically. Has anyone else seen this? Wondering if it is not going to work with Digital Performer or what may be going on.

Actually investigating further the AU version graphics will work in DP when I load the Plugin, but as soon as I hit play in the DAW the graphics freeze and won't start working after I hit stop as well.

Update - if while a sequence is playing I switch to view another insert or another track and then switch back the graphics become active again. But only until I hit stop and then hit play again. So it will work if every time I hit play I switch back and forth between displaying different inserts or tracks. Seems to be just a graphics issue, although not sure how that is associated with hitting the play button in DP.

Last edited by Spoff; 2 days ago at 03:07 AM..
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoff View Post
...I tried out the demo in MOTU Digital Performer and unfortunately there are issues. Using the AU version the GUI is frozen although if you click on the controls and drag you can hear that they are working ...
I think we have a fix for it. I will PM you.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Hi,

You people are amazing. That fixed my issues. Quickest fix ever! I'll be buying this later today.

Love how it can quickly reduce harshness.

Thanks!

Spoff
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoff View Post
Hi,

You people are amazing. That fixed my issues. Quickest fix ever! I'll be buying this later today.

Love how it can quickly reduce harshness.

Thanks!

Spoff
Thank you for your quick reply
We will release 1.3.2 very soon to the public.
Old 11 hours ago
Gear Maniac

I'm sure this has been discussed already, but how does this compare with Soothe?

Soothe is #1 on my wish list but i haven't bought it yet due to the price, i'd be excited at the idea that there would be a legitimate alternative for cheaper. Can it tame resonances like Soothe?
Old 11 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncore View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed already, but how does this compare with Soothe?

Soothe is #1 on my wish list but i haven't bought it yet due to the price, i'd be excited at the idea that there would be a legitimate alternative for cheaper. Can it tame resonances like Soothe?
Yes, it's an alternative. Alot of people prefer it over soothe. Some using now both, depending on what fits better including me. But I must admit I use dseq since a while more often then soothe.
Old 10 hours ago
Gear Maniac

How does it compare to soothe in regards to recognising and taming bad resonances that poke out?
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
How does it compare to soothe in regards to recognising and taming bad resonances that poke out?
DSEQ can be subtle or you can take it to a more extreme side, soothe is just subtle. For me DSEQ is superior due to the number of controls and offers more possibilities.
Old 59 minutes ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Please download DSEQ from our website. The demo is fully functional except a short audio drop every 90 secs.
Just drop it on any track, default settings, play audio and lower the threshold. That is basically all
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search