The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica Audio releases Coffee: a modern take on classic ‘60s studio icons
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Acustica Audio releases Coffee: a modern take on classic ‘60s studio icons

Product: Coffee
Developer: Acustica Audio
Price (MSRP): Introductory price - 129.00€ [Reg. 219.00€] - Save 40% OFF - For the first four weeks after release or until first official version is released.
Plug-in Format(s): VST, AU, AAX
System Requirements (Windows): Windows 10
System Requirements (OSX): OSX 10.14
Coffee Commercial web-page: https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/coffee
Coffee User's manual: https://app.box.com/shared/static/jf...u3wlojyngi.pdf

Coffee is arguably the most essential tool in a studio!
Coffee gets things done!

Jokes aside, as a modern plug-in suite packing a warm and smooth sound, Coffee is nothing short of a mojo monster. It comprises a series of plug-ins inspired by the world of 'vintage' but re-engineered in a contemporary fashion, preserving the feeling of authenticity that most engineers look for in modern productions. In other words, we believe this new suite can be considered the 'younger sister' of our acclaimed CREAM suite.

The best Coffee you'll ever have

Coffee embodies six different hardware units merged into two different EQs, an HP/LP filter section,five dynamics processors including a limiter, plus a complete preamp section with 31 different emulations.

-Coffee EQ comprises two switchable 4-Band equalizers with High-pass and Low-pass Filters and a powerful Preamp section for a total of 29 emulations.
-Coffee Pre features three switchable preamp groups for a total of 31 preamp emulations divided into three banks: LINE, FEED, CUSTOM.
-Coffee Comp includes four switchable compressors plus a limiter and a tube preamp emulation.
-Coffee Channelstrip includes many of the features of the standalone units plus some extras.

Each plug-in included in the Coffee suite comes in a “Standard” version and an alternative “ZL*” version which operates at *zero latency and is thus suitable for use when tracking, at the cost of extra processing resources.

For further details consult the Coffee user's manual in the Overview section.

Details:

Coffee EQ

- Model A is a faithful American recreation of a legendary mixing desk EQ, as used at one of the most famous recording studios in the UK in its glory days.

- Model B is a revisited vintage analog unit made in the US, combining a passive bass equalizer, an active 'presence' control, a treble section, and a germanium based preamp.
So it's basically a three-band equalizer re-arranged as a four-band model for better usability.
This plug-in is designed to let you squeeze the sonic character of germanium transistors into your mixes. Plus, thanks to the nature of its architecture, the rich and warm sound it offers can perfectly blend into any track, no matter the genre.

Coffee Pre
-The trained ear's bliss.

Coffee PRE comprises several preamp models giving you a wide array of tonal choices. We selected various hardware units to provide you with the frequency/phase response and harmonic distortion of 31 (!) preamps divided into three switchable BANKS: LINE - FEED -CUST. For extra mojo, the preamps included in FEED banks have a FEEDBACK control that allows you to determine the amount of character.

Coffee Comp -Juicy dynamics

- The Coffee channel strip and compressor modules are equipped with four dynamic processors derived from two different units: a Vari-mu Tube compressor, and an all-discrete, transformer-coupled compressor/limiter.

MODE 1, 2, and ULTRAare based on a modern reissue of a mono British Vari-Mu tube compressor from the 1960s. It is a remarkably simple design that employs just three tubes in a differential signal path.*
This modern device is not an exact copy of the original unit. Instead, it sports an accurate circuit recreation that has been enhanced to make it fit better with modern equipment and production requirements. The most crucial difference is the addition of the control of attack times.

While MODE 1 represents the default operation of the unit, MODE 2 introduces a new feature that wasn't part of the original hardware. It is called 'Fuse', and it changes the character of the compressor quite dramatically.Here is where things get interesting. The release time is way shorter, and the result is a super punchy and squashy signal.*

The ULTRA mode is where we think the compressor really shines. Honestly, we could have called this setting ‘Invisible Super-Glue’! First of all, one thing you will notice is that, despite its ultra-fast reaction times, the compression happens in an exceptionally and euphonically transparent way, typical of truly high-end, Vari-Mu tube hardware machines, making it a superb tool for the mix bus up to refined stereo mastering applications. The original machines that we sampled were mostly characterized by a hard-knee style dynamic range control. So we enhanced it by including a soft knee setting for a mellower, rounder and invisible intervention, greatly expanding on the compressor’s overall versatility. No matter if your aim is to glue your drums together or to just put the final touch on a 50-track mix. ULTRA will surprise you. A small analogy: imagine having the juicy curves of El Rey, the forward attitude of Jade and the character of a modern Cream, all condensed into one single mode. This is ULTRA.

MODE 3 and LIM are based on an American compressor/limiter design derived from a recreation of the dynamic section found on one of UK's most iconic vintage mixing and mastering consoles. All this with enhanced attack and release times, plus some extra gluey distortion.
It just sounds phenomenal on any source and adds generous amounts of vintage character and presence. While remaining true to the sound of the vintage unit, the reissue adds new features and extra control. Dulcis in fundo, MODE 3 emulates the faster response of the original unit, while LIM emulates its Limiter section, designed to emulate the response of what is arguably the most iconic of all dynamics processor.*

CORE 15

Coffee features our latest core engine technology which now includes EHR™ - Enhanced Harmonic Response Technology, and Dynamic Routing™!
Learn more: https://www.acustica-audio.com/pages...ducing-core-15

IMPORTANT: Just like in the hardware world you have noise floor, flutter, hum and hiss - and other phenomena that can be considered inherent limitations of analog - when we sample and recreate the response of studio machines, we have ‘Echo Noise’. This is a limitation of our current sampling technology due to the use of FIR filters. Of course, over the years, we managed to greatly improve on this aspect pushing this unwanted effect into the range of the ‘almost inaudible’. We measure and report this value each time we release a plug-in testing the noise level when a certain number of EQ bands are active and always strive to minimise the effect. Some hardware machines allow for better results then others but we always go through a thorough quality check process to ensure that Echo Noise is as low as possible.

- Coffee Preamps (sample estimate) echo noise value average: -65 dbFS.
- Coffee EQ (all bands engaged) echo noise value average: -67 dbFS.

How to try a plugin: TRIAL MODE

- Create a user account (if you do not have one yet) on our website
- Download and Install Aquarius, our products manager, for either Mac or PC
- Type the product name in the 'search' field inside Aquarius to find the '(trial)' version of the product, then click on the thumbnail or on the 'Install' button. This will take you to the product page (the trial version of a product is also visible in the 'related products' section on the right)
- Select the right plugin format according to the DAW you are using and click 'Install'
- Aquarius will download, install,and authorise the trial product automatically
- Run your DAW. You're set!

Please note:

- The old trial authorisation method - which required the 'LASTTRIALS' code - is now obsolete and each trial version of a product can be easily downloaded/installed directly from Aquarius, for a more streamlined process
- Should you see an authorisation error, the reason could be that the product has been already authorised too many times and the limit has been reached

For details about installation/authorization please refer to the following page: Acustica Audio - Professional Audio Software - Acustica Audio

NOTE Available sample rates: 96 - 44.1 - 48 - 88.2 kHz
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Nut

I cannot wait to test this beast!!!

I would change the link btw, it is going to lime instant of Coffee
Old 16th April 2020
Another winner

Pushing the input trim on the channel is very pleasing to my ears.

I also really like the FEED Pre.
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Nut

Engaging the pre on the comp almost blew my ear drums up what is with the huge volume jump when you turn on\off the comp pre. SC clicks like crazy also. Sound burst clicks when you select one of the comp types, channel strip comp is the same. Not sure if its just the trial but the comp is not right in Studio one for me. Only happens while it's processing audio.

Everything else works and sounds good but the comp is dangerous with it's sound bursts. I tried Reaper it's doing the same thing sound bursts. Other than that it sounds great the pre module is the star for me here it sounds really nice.
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksta View Post
Engaging the pre on the comp almost blew my ear drums up what is with the huge volume jump when you turn on\off the comp pre. SC clicks like crazy also. Sound burst clicks when you select one of the comp types, channel strip comp is the same. Not sure if its just the trial but the comp is not right in Studio one for me. Only happens while it's processing audio.

Everything else works and sounds good but the comp is dangerous with it's sound bursts. I tried Reaper it's doing the same thing sound bursts. Other than that it sounds great the pre module is the star for me here it sounds really nice.
Oh dear, this used to be a big problem, thought they fixed it ages ago. Turn monitors down!

On another note I heard cream owners get 10% but I didn’t receive anything
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksta View Post

The Gold volume bursts got me a while back. Been using Ice9 (mutes sound over certain level) on the mixbus ever since.

https://freevstplugins.net/cerberus-...ice9-automute/
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear
I have played with the EQ a bit and it seems like it also has a problem with echo, but it is not as bad the free version.

The preamps, of those I checked unfortunately smear the transient of a kick so that it sounds like going through an echo with short delay. Some have this "effect" more apparent than the others.

Unfortunately, the EQ doesn't seem to be usable on material with heavier low end and sharp transients - as it is where the problem is most noticeable.

I have also played with the Ultra compressor. That was really good!

What is worrying for me that a number of new products have this echo bug again :(
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
The Gold volume bursts got me a while back. Been using Ice9 (mutes sound over certain level) on the mixbus ever since.

that looks very handy, thanks, will be trying this out.

seeing how much use the pun has gotten (daily) i'm eagerly awaiting trial to finish downloading!
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
I have played with the EQ a bit and it seems like it also has a problem with echo, but it is not as bad the free version.

The preamps, of those I checked unfortunately smear the transient of a kick so that it sounds like going through an echo with short delay. Some have this "effect" more apparent than the others.

Unfortunately, the EQ doesn't seem to be usable on material with heavier low end and sharp transients - as it is where the problem is most noticeable.

What is worrying for me that a number of new products have this echo bug again :(
In each product there is a number published and specifying the echo noise level we achieved.
In this case, the number is posted in the first post. It represents the worst case, generally when everything is activated
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMaloogalooga View Post
Oh dear, this used to be a big problem, thought they fixed it ages ago. Turn monitors down!

On another note I heard cream owners get 10% but I didn’t receive anything
Yes they will fix that noise.
About coupons, we sent them to all customers, but they belong to a different email sender, the same we use in the newsletter. Check your spam folder in the case, or simply raise a ticket, they will check it! Thank you
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Guru
I’m assuming the same Germanium sound?
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
In each product there is a number published and specifying the echo noise level we achieved.
In this case, the number is posted in the first post. It represents the worst case, generally when everything is activated
I am sorry I missed that! This is very handy.
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Maniac

I also got a volume burst while loading the compressor module
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am sorry I missed that! This is very handy.
We're trying to get better!
This indicator will be published in all future products, and it will be an idea of the improvement we can have in this field. This kind of indicators resembles indicators we were used to in the hardware domain, for example S/N ratio, THD, crosstalk.
At the moment Echo noise is a compromise between how much we can truncate the responses, the noise of the sampled machines and ripple, and above all the consumption. In fact, allowing very long responses we can limit it a lot, but this would lead to a very high consumption.
When we build the devices (a bit like when competitors model plugins) we can achieve better performance, because we can better isolate the original circuits.
Thanks for your interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
I also got a volume burst while loading the compressor module

Yes I posted above, this is under review
Old 16th April 2020
Company Rep

Acustica Audio Coffee - Mastering a Rock Mix

Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

really nice designer - whoever does the visual artwork for acustica is top notch artist
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yeah you need to hit this with very little gain.its almost pointless being able to drive the thing because it turns everything beyond about 2khz into a comb filter when you do lol.the compresssor is very nice though and the EQ is decent when used very sparingly(a dB,2 tops here and there) so not to exacerbate any of the Aqua techs shortcomings
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Maniac
Oh just watched the video in the first link, that’s some next level production right there, nice!
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscent View Post
really nice designer - whoever does the visual artwork for acustica is top notch artist
I'm not sure about that. All the plugins I have from AA the GUI looks very blurry I don't know why. I'm using the latest MacBook Pro, like I need to strain my eyes to see properly and this one is the worst of all. The OK one is Pensado EQ.
At first I thought it was the concept but looking at demo videos which looks like it's PC which looks like what it should actually look like, any reason for this AA?
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Congrats to AA TEAM

As always Top notch tools. And this "monster" is true gem, mojo and much more. Just the Pre is soooo tasty, glues things out so musically and round. I mean just dial it and forget it hahah ;-)

Hope you guys are gonna enjoy this one.
Happy music and stay safe out there

Cheers ;-)
Old 16th April 2020
Here for the gear

Dear AA. I like coffee very much. Tomorrow I'll take a day off : )
With this poetry machine I have chance for press out a some taste from my fresh records!
31 different preamps? Very hot.
It will be a long night : ) Ciao!
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post

Yeh thats what i use normaly Bose. Just forgot to load it but luckily always turn the inputs down -18 from the get go on almost everything. Just caught me off guard the sound lol. Used to get that with Gold as well but it's fine now. For the most part AA have been ok for me i just filled my boots as i wasn't ready for the rise and fall burst lol
Old 17th April 2020
Gear Addict

I'm sure it sounds nice, but this is a ridiculous waste of screen space (unfortunately this seems to be getting worse, not better with your products).

Please realize a main reason many people want individual plugins is for simplified controls in a more compact space.
I can't think of any other developer that makes GUI's that are 60+% wasted space. Please reconsider this.

If 2-3 preamp plugins take up and entire screen you're doing something wrong.
Old 17th April 2020
Can't wait to demo this.
Old 17th April 2020
Gear Maniac

I really like the preamp GUI. It helps me focus on just that part of the sound when it's up.

Very Zen.

Old 17th April 2020
Gear Nut

Loving the GUI over here as well, and think the size is absolutely appropriate.

If i really wanted to, I can fit 4 Coffee pre's on my measly 24 inch screen FWIW.

Coffee is a nothing short of a true beast. Such beautiful tones and authority.

I'm in "Pre" heaven. The comps' are really nice too. Comp2 and LIM have been getting some good use today on the drums bus. Comp2 is doing the job quite well at the moment.

Haven't tried any of the EQ's yet though...

All the Acqua's are unique and quite special, but Coffee is just so bloody nice....

...man o' man...
Old 17th April 2020
Lives for gear

Can't wait to try this out...loved the freebie!

So...scalable, 4K monitor ready GUIs starting with Core 16? Pretty please with sugary cream on top (of the Coffee)?
Old 17th April 2020
Guys, Coffee is a really cool Plugin,

I am very happy to have been part of the team for the Deep Learning EQ on this amazing Acustica Plugin.

Is as good as a great cup of the best coffee, very bold and tasty.....
Old 17th April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post

If 2-3 preamp plugins take up and entire screen you're doing something wrong.
How many minutes does it take to adjust a preamp?
Old 17th April 2020
Here for the gear

Absolutely wonderful Acustica Audio; Ive spent the last 6 hours in session testing Coffee on Universal Audio's new offering, LUNA.

Sonically, Coffee is just all sorts of gorgeous! I did however struggle to run many instances ( just even the normal amount of AA plugins I would use on any given session via Logic or Protools) of AA plugins via LUNA and so I contacted Universal Audio about this. They responded and said they would be reaching out to Acustica Audio. They are very keen for your plugins to work effectively via LUNA.

Again, Coffee is brilliant - Very well done!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search