The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia launches ARC System 3
Old 16th April 2020
News Desk Editor

IK Multimedia launches ARC System 3

IK Multimedia launches ARC System 3-unnamed-95-.jpg

IK Multimedia launches ARC System 3 bringing a new dimension of acoustic correction to any studio

3rd generation acoustic correction system offers all-new 3D room analysis algorithm, easier setup and superior results, plus compatibility with more measurement microphones

April 16, 2020 - IK Multimedia announces ARC System 3, the third generation of its innovative acoustic correction system that enables producers and engineers to mix better, faster and more confidently by correcting poor room acoustics, improving the audio monitoring accuracy of their studios. It combines an ultra-accurate measurement microphone, room analysis software, and a correction plug-in, all in a simple-to-use package that delivers professional results.

ARC System 3 offers an all-new analysis algorithm that measures acoustics at three different heights to deliver a natural, unprocessed sound and superior accuracy; a streamlined measurement process for quicker, more accurate calibration; advanced controls and a re-sizeable retina display GUI for superior workflow; and the ability to use third party measurement mics for additional flexibility.

All in all, ARC System 3 delivers a natural listening experience that makes any existing studio sound like a well-treated room rather than a "corrected" room - without expensive acoustic treatments.

Trust the sound that's heard
Walls, furniture, and other objects reflect and absorb sound, changing the frequency balance and stereo imaging an engineer or producer hears in their studio. A poorly treated room can lead to mix decisions that sound great in that room, but sub-par in other environments.

ARC System 3 detects and accounts for these issues - without the need for expensive room treatments - by quickly and precisely measuring the sound of a room to generate a correction profile that can be loaded into the ARC plug-in for use in any DAW. This ensures that music is heard the way it truly sounds, letting users work faster and more effortlessly to create mixes that will translate better across all systems everywhere.

An all-new listening experience
ARC System3 uses a new room analysis and correction algorithm delivering results that cannot be found elsewhere. By measuring a room at three different heights around the listening position, IK's award-winning VRM™ (Volumetric Response Modeling) technology creates a 3D snapshot of the room to identify problematic issues without over-processing the sound. The result is an incredibly natural-sounding correction that recreates the experience of working in a properly tuned room.

Quick and precise measurement
The complete ARC System 3 bundle includes a MEMS room analysis microphone for the most precise measurements possible, but the software also works with any other RTA mic. By connecting a measurement mic to an interface and launching the step-by-step room analysis software, users are guided through a series of measurements across their listening position. ARC offers flexible mic placement options that help streamline and complete the process in less than 10 minutes.

Users can also create and save measurements of multiple monitors and listening positions, to virtually adjust the sweet spot for different clients or setups.

Instantly apply correction
Correction profiles can be inserted across the master bus of any DAW, and ARC's precise correction filter will compensate for the room's acoustics. Music can then be monitored exactly the way it was recorded - free of the impact of room acoustics - so that the user's mixes will translate better than ever to other rooms and systems.

Deep Control over key parameters
ARC System 3 offers additional controls to fine-tune corrections for ideal performance in any room and setup:

Adjustable correction range - Users can choose to define limits to upper and lower correction ranges separately to preserve a monitor's unique voicing or to correct a certain frequency range.

Variable resolution and smoothing - The correction filter's resolution can be adjusted to use more or fewer frequency bands, for either surgical correction or a broader, smoother balance.

Two Phase Modes - Natural and Linear phase modes ensure precise stereo imaging (Natural improves the phase response; Linear maintains the existing phase response).

Check the mix right from behind the desk
The virtual monitoring feature lets users intentionally shape their sound to emulate devices like TVs, smartphones and car audio systems, as well as many popular studio monitors, to quickly and conveniently listen to the mix on other "virtual systems" to ensure a perfect sound translation across common listening devices.

Powerful metering at a glance
ARC System 3 also provides useful tools to help speed up workflow, including Peak, RMS, Loudness and dynamic range metering. A real-time spectrum analyzer shows the pre-correction signal to indicate how the room was affecting the sound.

Price and availability
ARC System 3 software-only version is now available for $/€199.99.*

Existing owners of any registered IK product that retails for $/€99 or more can purchase the ARC System 3 software-only crossgrade for $/€99.99.

ARC 2.0 or later users will receive a $/€50 coupon off the $/€99.99 price.

Furthermore, all customers who purchase and register ARC 2.5 after April 1, 2020, will receive a free software-only upgrade to ARC System 3.

ARC System 3 complete bundle with MEMS microphone will be available in Q2 for $/€249.99 and can be pre-ordered now.

Existing owners of any registered IK product that retails for $/€99 or more can now pre-order the crossgrade of the ARC System 3 complete bundle with MEMS microphone for $/€149.99.

*All prices excluding taxes

To learn more about ARC System 3, visit www.ikmultimedia.com/arc3
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia launches ARC System 3-unnamed-96-.jpg   IK Multimedia launches ARC System 3-unnamed-95-.jpg  
Old 16th April 2020
ARC 2.5 has been amazing in my untreated room. If this is a step forward from that....
I'm just wondering, if it sounds great already, how is it going to sound more greater?
Old 16th April 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
ARC 2.5 has been amazing in my untreated room. If this is a step forward from that....
I'm just wondering, if it sounds great already, how is it going to sound more greater?
We've improved things under the hood and the measurement process is not only easier but will provide great results.
Old 16th April 2020
Here for the gear

Hi Peter, Im not fully clear on your answer. To ask more specifically. If we own a mems microphone and 2.5, is this 3.0 software going to actually measure and produce more acurrate results than what we had previously or is this just update mostly eye candy and streamlining the process for average joes ?
Old 16th April 2020
Here for the gear

Also curious that I cannot apply my accumulated jam points to the upgrade path.
Old 16th April 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrousMeuhler View Post
Hi Peter, Im not fully clear on your answer. To ask more specifically. If we own a mems microphone and 2.5, is this 3.0 software going to actually measure and produce more acurrate results than what we had previously or is this just update mostly eye candy and streamlining the process for average joes ?
Yes, of course there are major improvements to the audio algorithms as this is not a simple point update, it is a full version release. And the mic is only a small part of the quality of the product. ARC System 3 is a large improvement in quality.
Old 16th April 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
You can use JamPoints with everything except the auto-applied coupon (as JamPoints are not combined with coupons). Please see http://www.ikmultimedia.com/jampoints/ for full information on how they work.
Old 16th April 2020
Company Rep

We also have some great ARC 3 videos, starting with this short one:

https://youtu.be/GJSY6GfRuMg

Old 16th April 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply Peter, and I was always curious, what is the difference in quality between MEMS microphones, is one more accurate or detailed than the other?
Ie. I have the silver one with the orange ring. Are my measurements as accurate as the other black MEMS mic ?
Old 16th April 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Peter, and I was always curious, what is the difference in quality between MEMS microphones, is one more accurate or detailed than the other?
Ie. I have the silver one with the orange ring. Are my measurements as accurate as the other black MEMS mic ?
The previous version (ARC 1 & 2) were not MEMS. We introduced the MEMS microphones with ARC 2.5 and now use the mic for ARC 3.
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Addict

I own arc 2.5 with your new mic.why should i pay so much for a software update?the final price is 61,49 euros...and i cannot use my jam points!
Old 16th April 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stergios T. View Post
I own arc 2.5 with your new mic.why should i pay so much for a software update?the final price is 61,49 euros...and i cannot use my jam points!
It is a major software update. Like I stated above the measurement mic is a small part of the product, the audio algorithm improvements (along with the other great features and measurement methods) are a huge leap for that small amount of money.
Old 16th April 2020
Here for the gear

Hi Peter, SO to reframe my question more accurately, is the MEMS microphone actually superior or more accurate in measuring the room compared to the previous one you provided in ARC 1/2 (silver with orange ring) ( ive been told by those who own it that it sounds identical) can you please chime in here and clarify ? thank you.
Old 16th April 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Hi Peter, SO to reframe my question more accurately, is the MEMS microphone actually superior or more accurate in measuring the room compared to the previous one you provided in ARC 1/2 (silver with orange ring) ( ive been told by those who own it that it sounds identical) can you please chime in here and clarify ? thank you.
We chose the MEMS microphone because by nature MEMS microphones are more consistent and not as affected by environmental variables as traditional microphones. Any of the units will be nearly precisely the same with much less variance, thus we can know exactly what to expect from them vs a larger % of variation from the other measurement mics. So yes they are better for this purpose (measurement). What the mic sounds like recording other sources is irrelevant to its use as a measurement microphone in ARC 3.
Old 16th April 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
If you qualify for the auto-applied coupon, JamPoints cannot be combined with coupons. Please see http://www.ikmultimedia.com/jampoints/ for full information on how JamPoints work.
Old 16th April 2020
Here for the gear

Hi Thanks for your reply Peter, and so I was actully trying to buy a crossgrade path so that I can upgrade my MIC as well to the MEMS one. I get a disclaimer stating "You are about to place a pre-order. By completing this order, you agree that your entire order will be shipped when all pre-ordered items become available." Does this mean I will not have immediate access to download the purchased software while i wait for the mic to ship in Q2 ?
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Peter...

I happened to find out about this only because I was bored and logged into IK’s website today... as a 2.5 owner (with the new mic) I bought the v3 for $50...

So, my only note is that I’m a user that owns pretty much every IK software release and ARC and I didn’t get an email about this! I double checked my emails and have been receiving the newsletter as recently as this week...

Anyhoo... I haven’t installed yet but the promo vid seems to suggest that shooting the room might be a bit more intuitive with this release... that’d be cool... I always felt like I was “doing it wrong” even with butcher paper templates on the floor and measuring tape

Thx bud!
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Can anyone tell me how much latency this plugin adds please.
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Nut

Hi Peter,

Couple questions here.

I have ARC 2, when can I expect a coupon?

Since I have the previous microphone, is the software upgrade still worth it?

PS - If you exclaim that ARC 3 is so much better in terms of quality, doesn't that say that ARC 2 was poor quality by definition, or is this an awesome / awesomer kind of thing?

Just looking for specifics as to why it is so much better than before.
Old 16th April 2020
Here for the gear

Hi Peter, So I went ahead and bought the crossgrade with the MEMS mic figuring that since its a crossgrade the software end would show up in my account, but it didnt. Seeing as though I already own the previous microphone, is there any way I could please have access to the 3.0 software while the mic is shipped ? Thanks in advance.
Old 16th April 2020
Here for the gear

A quick google search reveals that the previous mics apparently have a -10db rolloff at 20Khz and have considerably more distortion. Ive ARCed a 100 times and I will chime back my results with the new mic once Ive received it.
Old 16th April 2020
I have been using ARC 2.5 on menuBus on my crappy little arian desktop speakers (has sub) and it vastly improved the quality of listening.

I just took ARC 3 measurements on it and it sounds quite different. First impressions are it's much crispier and brighter on the high end. So I'm going to re-measure when I have another 20 minutes to screw with it. Low end sounds improved though, even less woofy than before, which is good.

The other thing is, it vastly reduces the playback level and if you trim it up, just like in ARC 2, it distorts. However, in ARC 2 there is a volume control and I was able to tweak it so I didn't lose too much volume and I didn't get distortion. I am not finding any volume control, just the trim. Oh well. Requested feature.

I do like the ability to slide the frequency correction. I'll likely just leave it full on. And for listening to music while I write a few of the profiles are kind of pleasing and may be useful for non-critical listening scenarios.

Going to try full on studio monitor correction later this weekend once I have everything placed properly.
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

I've bought nearly all ik multimedia products but I never get any updates on any sales or new products I only find them if I check out here or sonicstate.com.
I wish theyd let me use jam points. I've got a load too spend but what always puts me off is they add tax at the end so I buy most ik stuff from other sites we're u don't pay tax.

I have arc 2.5 and it is brilliant I've noticed its much easier too mix now and mixs translate better on more systems I just hope they do better loyalty discounts. Its not much of a discount off 50$ if I already own 2.5 and the mic. I also own sample tank 4,...etc so like I said I'm a big buyer.. Just hope you change your minds and offer some better discount.
Old 16th April 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Hi Thanks for your reply Peter, and so I was actully trying to buy a crossgrade path so that I can upgrade my MIC as well to the MEMS one. I get a disclaimer stating "You are about to place a pre-order. By completing this order, you agree that your entire order will be shipped when all pre-ordered items become available." Does this mean I will not have immediate access to download the purchased software while i wait for the mic to ship in Q2 ?
Hi, as per that message the entire order would be shipped which is software and microphone as they would be bundled together. You might want to explore your options with the IK Support team but honestly this is not something we normally do (split software from hardware). The would have full access to your order and account though to see what options you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Peter...

I happened to find out about this only because I was bored and logged into IK’s website today... as a 2.5 owner (with the new mic) I bought the v3 for $50...

So, my only note is that I’m a user that owns pretty much every IK software release and ARC and I didn’t get an email about this! I double checked my emails and have been receiving the newsletter as recently as this week...

Anyhoo... I haven’t installed yet but the promo vid seems to suggest that shooting the room might be a bit more intuitive with this release... that’d be cool... I always felt like I was “doing it wrong” even with butcher paper templates on the floor and measuring tape

Thx bud!
The day is young. We typically open a new product in the morning and email a very large amount of users which does take some time (I can't get into the particular numbers but it does take a while). If you don't receive an email today and you're sure you're opted in to our newsletter let me know. I can have someone take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Hi Peter,

Couple questions here.

I have ARC 2, when can I expect a coupon?

Since I have the previous microphone, is the software upgrade still worth it?

PS - If you exclaim that ARC 3 is so much better in terms of quality, doesn't that say that ARC 2 was poor quality by definition, or is this an awesome / awesomer kind of thing?

Just looking for specifics as to why it is so much better than before.
If you are logged in with the IK account that has ARC 2, you would see the coupon automatically applied in your cart when you add ARC 3

I'm not going to be trapped into that last part. Every day we can make improvements to every bit of code and every component on every product. It doesn't make the previous product bad (hence all the great mixes made which translate so well due to ARC 2.x don't suddenly go *poof* or make people sick to their stomachs wondering why they enjoyed that music when it could have been created with a time machine to use ARC 3 to be much better... We improved a product, with great features and sonic quality and you can read all about it on this page and its subpages. So I guess I did get tricked and it is an awesome now more awesome type of situation.

Quote:
Hi Peter, So I went ahead and bought the crossgrade with the MEMS mic figuring that since its a crossgrade the software end would show up in my account, but it didnt. Seeing as though I already own the previous microphone, is there any way I could please have access to the 3.0 software while the mic is shipped ? Thanks in advance.
Please see above.
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Addict

Do you provide with this version a solution for monitoring thru devices-browsers etc which cannot use vst plugins ?it is a big problem that we are not able to listen to other sources of music with the arc correction.it is a demand from users many years...
Old 16th April 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Do you provide with this version a solution for monitoring thru devices-browsers etc which cannot use vst plugins ?it is a big problem that we are not able to listen to other sources of music with the arc correction.it is a demand from users many years...
It is not built in. However there are free and commercial solutions that will work with ARC 3 and we should have some FAQ information posted soon with regard to that.
Old 16th April 2020
Quote:
I use menuBus. If you're on a Mac it's still working for now and free since the developer stopped supporting it.
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
I use menuBus. If you're on a Mac it's still working for now and free since the developer stopped supporting it.
thanks but i need a solution for a pc...
Old 16th April 2020
Here for the gear

Well , I just tried with support and they brushed me off with the same response. Seems ridiculous really. I own ARC 2.5 and I have to wait till "Q2" to access the software I just payed for while others here have downloaded the same software upgrade immediately. Makes no sense at all.
Old 17th April 2020
Lives for gear

I checked the site and not totally clear if the ARC system is a standalone only, or can also be used as a vst?
Thank you
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search