The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Luna Recording System is now available
Old 8th April 2020
News Desk Editor

Universal Audio Luna Recording System is now available-luna_landing_technology_section.jpg

LUNA gives Apollo owners the fastest recording environment for music production, editing, and mixing. In addition to its seamless hardware‑software integration with Thunderbolt‑equipped* Apollo and Arrow interfaces, LUNA Recording System allows capturing audio through DSP‑powered UAD plug‑ins with no discernible latency, as well as offering new Accelerated Realtime MonitoringTM — which provides analog‑style tracking and overdubbing workflows using Apollo’s onboard DSP acceleration.

LUNA Extensions

Unlock Analog Sounds and Workflows
Far beyond plug‑ins, LUNA Extensions are built into the fabric of LUNA's mixer, giving you authentic analog sounds without having to manage multiple plug‑in windows.

Neve Summing
Create with precisely emulated analog summing from the famed Neve 80 series consoles. This optional LUNA Extension will transform a clean, sterile mix to sound as if it was mixed on a classic Neve desk.

Studer Analog Tape
Get the punch and texture of magnetic tape on any audio or instrument track with the optional Studer A800 Tape Recorder Extension. Simply adjust per‑track Saturation controls to add harmonics, and tweak further with master controls like Tape Formula, Tape Speed (IPS), and more.

LUNA Instruments

Fuel your Inspiration
LUNA Instruments bring UA’s expertise in modeling, sampling, and synthesis to software instruments, creating a new level of realism.

RavelTM Grand Piano
A breathtaking emulation of a Steinway Model B† grand piano based on UA's exclusive sampling, physical modeling, and new Ultra‑ResonanceTM technology, giving you all the sonic nuance of this studio classic. Captured at Ocean Way Studios, Ravel gives you an immaculately recorded studio piano that’s album-ready, with easy‑to‑use Tone, Dynamics, and Microphone controls, as well as an innovative Reverse feature for startlingly creative sounds and textures.

Moog® Minimoog
Developed in partnership with Moog Music, the Minimoog LUNA Instrument is an incredibly accurate and inspiring emulation of Bob Moog's pioneering synthesizer. By perfectly capturing every nuance of the classic Moog oscillators and ladder filters and harnessing discrete transistor VCA modeling, the Minimoog LUNA Instrument faithfully captures every detail and anomaly of this classic instrument used by everyone from Parliament-Funkadelic to Kraftwerk, Dr. Dre, and more.

Shape
A comprehensive creative toolkit included free with LUNA, Shape is a painstakingly curated LUNA Instrument featuring a collection of the best vintage keys, drums/percussion, guitar/bass, orchestral content, and realtime synthesis, from Universal Audio, Spitfire Audio, and more. Craft professional textures developed by leading sound design experts, and take your inspiration further with intuitive controls and powerful effects.

Spitfire Audio
Expertly sampled and recorded at London's AIR Studios, Spitfire Audio's industry‑leading Chamber Strings, Symphonic Woodwinds, and Symphonic Brass will give your compositions the same professional gloss used by top producers for film, TV, and video game scores, plus chart‑topping pop and R&B records.

LUNA Technology
Work the Way you Want

Using an all-new audio architecture built from the ground up, LUNA brings audio recording into a new era. Intelligent workflow and compatibility features let you capture inspiration the moment it strikes.

Accelerated Realtime MonitoringT
No more toggling between Apollo's Console app and your DAW, or messing with buffer settings. Accelerated Realtime Monitoring uses Apollo’s onboard DSP to give you deterministic, sub‑2ms recording latency — from input to output — for fast analog-style tracking and overdubbing workflows with UAD plug‑ins and LUNA Instruments.

Realtime UAD Processing
Track, overdub, and mix with UAD plug-ins in real time, including Unison mic preamp plug‑ins from Neve, Manley, API, Avalon, and more, while enjoying seamless transitions between tracking, overdubbing, and playback.

Download now: https://www.uaudio.com/luna.html

FREE for all existing Thunderbolt Apollo & Arrow interfaces (Mac only)

Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Luna Recording System is now available-luna_landing_technology_section.jpg  
Old 8th April 2020
Lives for gear

Thank you!! Just downloaded now. Waiting for AU scan
Old 8th April 2020
The irony here is, I'm not on Mojave b/c UA on Sweetwater site is not shown to be compatible with it.
So, I had to check the list to see that my large list of audio software will be compatible. Looks like it will.
You are never 100% sure. Huge move and risks each OSX. So now it's backup time... Install Mojave time...
Then see what LUNA will do.
Old 8th April 2020
Lives for gear
Download just finished. *cracks knuckles. All right, Luna. Let's see what you've got!
Old 8th April 2020
Lives for gear

Downloaded, splash screen stuck on "Checking for license". Then gives me Quit / Try Again. Quit takes 2 minutes to close the app. Good start!
Old 8th April 2020
Hm I don't have an iLok account but it gives me an option to create one, but then it says there's an error. I've tried again a few times. I guess I should go over to iLok and do that but I might just wait
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Luna Recording System is now available-screen-shot-2020-04-07-7.21.51-pm.png  
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Nut

Damn...ilok server slammmmed.

Last edited by p. dovetonsils; 8th April 2020 at 02:56 AM..
Old 8th April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by p. dovetonsils View Post
Damn...ilok server slammmmed
hm I think I'm going to just wait a while for this. I mean, I already have been using my current DAW for damn near a decade and just started trying a different one on my Windows PC in the living room as a 'notepad' thing. I am already locked into the UAD ecosystem and have no real desire to use iLok in addition. Locked in twice to what? ha. Good luck and godspeed you beta testers!

Last edited by GTRTony; 8th April 2020 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: took out my DAW names
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Head

unable to access it . I have downloaded the latest version of the uad and luna suite. I am blocked on a page that I ask to connect with my ilok account, I do all that and I come across a page with advertising links ... It starts very strong ....
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Nut

No luck here. Stops at "License Activation" screen after entering ilok credentials...
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Nut

I'm gladly already in bed, I'll download it tomorrow but honestly can't wait. The moog sounds fire.
Old 8th April 2020
We need the PC version to be released
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Nut

I'm already dead in the water. Completely hung up and will not work after a full restart. In my case, I tried to open up the mixer on my second monitor. The monitor screen went black with a small box in the left hand corner and froze the app. Forced quite and upon restart, no change. There's a black screen and the luna screen. If I click on the black screen, it's a beach ball. On the visible luna screen, I can see "Create Track" but nothing works. As I mentioned, did a full computer restart and no change. DOA
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Head
I had iLok issues but then I opened up the iLok License manager and closed cloud session, the reopened cloud session and it allowed me to login. not sure why. but now it opens.
Old 8th April 2020
Here for the gear

So after about two hours of using Luna I'm gonna pass on this software. I'm actually a bit disappointed after all of the hype. My iMac fan is running at full speed even with an empty project loaded was the first negative issue I noticed. Instant red flag in my opinion if you value a quiet studio (mixing/mastering) environment. I also noticed that there is no dedicated file browser for browsing files/samples on your HD. They have an import command that opens up a floating basic "finder" window but that's it as far as I could tell. Luna is definitely not a DAW as has been mentioned previous to its release so if you're expecting this to replace your Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase or any other DAW then prepare to be disappointed in my opinion. It really is just a "recording system" for the UAD interfaces. For free its great!
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by db9091 View Post
The irony here is, I'm not on Mojave b/c UA on Sweetwater site is not shown to be compatible with it.
So, I had to check the list to see that my large list of audio software will be compatible. Looks like it will.
You are never 100% sure. Huge move and risks each OSX. So now it's backup time... Install Mojave time...
Then see what LUNA will do.
Just installed on a Mojave system, Mac pro ''trash can'' 2013 Apollo 16 Mk1. Working fines so far, didn't tried anything too elaborated but so far third part plugins working fine (sonnox, Plugin Alliance and apogee fx rack those are the ones i tried) got only 1 crash trying some shortcuts.

The scan at beginning took me a while, but didn't got any crash with any of the third part plugins that i have (Waves, Slate, Sonnox, Pa, Apogee, Arturia, Mcdsp, Fabfilter, Eventide and some instruments).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevi View Post
No luck here. Stops at "License Activation" screen after entering ilok credentials...
For me didn't work at first, i had to open Ilock Manager and transfer manually the Luna License to my Ilock key same for my Studer license (Im not using Ilock cloud)

Last edited by Scharpf; 8th April 2020 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: Added interface
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Addict

For those having issues getting it started make sure you have Luna properly activated within the iLok Licence Manager. I had missed that step and was getting the failure to connect message.
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Nut

I deleted Luna and did a full re-install and it's the same thing with it being completely hung up. When I create a new file, it creates 2 screens, 1 for the mixer (which is completely black) and one for the timeline. Nothing is responsive on timeline and if I click the black window, instantly goes to "Application Not Responding" Complete failure and waste of several hours. I even tried unplugging my 2nd monitor, still nothing. Oh well, back to Studio One.
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Luna Recording System is now available-screen-shot-2020-04-07-6.19.14-pm.jpg   Universal Audio Luna Recording System is now available-screen-shot-2020-04-07-5.47.24-pm.jpg  
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stramp View Post
My God, it's full of fail!

Passing for now.

Still interested in what they changed from free to pay, though... might look it up myself in the mega-thread.

As I recall, the summing, piano and Moog were included... although, that was back during and and just after NAMM and before the world went sideways.
I thought the piano and moog were included too

Edit: After some time updated alone, third picture. But no moog or piano
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Luna Recording System is now available-luna1.jpeg   Universal Audio Luna Recording System is now available-luna2.jpg   Universal Audio Luna Recording System is now available-luna3.png  

Last edited by Scharpf; 8th April 2020 at 02:52 AM..
Old 8th April 2020
Here for the gear

Software Will give it a chance, would like an alternative to Ableton Live

I'm going to give it a chance, as I'd like to have an alternative to Ableton Live. But I'm not 100% convinced it will win me over. LPX failed to inspire me.

What bothers me is buying anything that only works in LUNA, such as the Neve summing, or any of the instruments; I went down that road with Ableton packs, and my only excuse was that I didn't know any better at the time.
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Addict

I am sure that there will be a ton of sponsored or paid advertisements for LUNA from influential Youtube channels along with plenty of hype.
I am just an average recording engineer from a small Youtube channel, and these are my unscripted first impressions.

I already got my first dislike. I am sure there are many more to come!

For those that don't feel like watching, it is basically a UAD desktop plugin store app with a basic DAW attached.

There is no way to hide UAD plugins that you don't own within LUNA like you can in Console.

https://youtu.be/wZyUfR245rc
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Nut

Up and running...recording some soft synths.

I want to use my Allen & Heath QU24(USB) for recording all my hardware synths in to Luna; my Apollo-8 as output. Opened up preferences(Audio), poked around, could'nt find if possible to select my A&H.

Audio/midi prefs in Catalina(OSX); QU24 is selected as input. Apollo as output.

Hope this is possible.......???
Old 8th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharpf View Post
I thought the piano and moog were included too

Edit: After some time updated alone, third picture. But no moog or piano
Oxide Tape is free. Neve, Moog and Piano are not.
Old 8th April 2020
Lives for gear

There is no free lunch.

I bet Luna is going to cost everyone a fortune in the end that jumps on the bandwagon right now and stays on it.
Old 8th April 2020
Lives for gear

I have 2 octo satellite dsp but I don't need apollo nor twin. Bummer I am not qualified to use it.
Old 8th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by color View Post
There is no free lunch.

I bet Luna is going to cost everyone a fortune in the end that jumps on the bandwagon right now and stays on it.
Well, you are going to spend a lot of money if you purchase the plugins. Plugins that you can't use outside Luna nor without an Apollo connected, although they run entirely native on your CPU.
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Well, you are going to spend a lot of money if you purchase the plugins. Plugins that you can't use outside Luna nor without an Apollo connected, although they run entirely native on your CPU.
I knew all that, but just seeing it in writing was like a splash of water. WTH am I thinking, that's a terrible idea to get yourself locked into.
Old 8th April 2020
Here for the gear
Got some bugs in the graphics of the mixer..

How can I send a signal from a track to an AUX, just like in Console?

Im trying to use the "SEND-function" on a track, but I can only send the signal to Bus, Mains & Outputs.... no AUX's offered. ;(

See attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Luna Recording System is now available-screenshot-2020-04-08-04.06.00.jpg  
Old 8th April 2020
Hello everyone, just wanted to remind you all that the CEO did say they released earlier than expected and to expect bugs/minor issues. Just hang on tight. Don't throw in the towel as yet. Much, much room for improvement and thank you UA for dropping this daw for us earlier without the usual roll outs

I will wait tomorrow and download and test it out
Old 8th April 2020
Lives for gear

Ok, I guess we locked the original thread... @ Universal Audio , how do you hide unused UAD plugins inside of Luna? Also, probably a dumb questions... I imported an old stem mix into Luna just to play around. I've got like 6 stereo tracks going to the master. When I go to engage the Neve summing, I can only put it on the master buss. Can you not put this on individual tracks?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search