The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube and Chandler Limited release Zener-Bender
Old 7th April 2020
News Desk Editor

Softube and Chandler Limited release Zener-Bender

Softube and Chandler Limited release Zener-Bender-zener-bender_1200x627.jpg

Vintage sound, modern combo: Softube and Chandler Limited® release Zener-Bender

Linköping, Sweden, April 1st, 2020: A powerful and musical modern plug-in channel strip with the unique vintage sound of Chandler Limited®, the Zener-Bender combines the crisp and colorful character of the Curve Bender Mastering Equalizer with the big, punchy Zener Limiter to bring class, history, and most crucially of all, a phenomenal sonic impact. Component-modeled with Softube’s customary care and experience, these units together can take charge of any mix.

Tracing the heritage of the Chandler Limited® Zener-Bender is like discovering an imperial family tree. The roots of the Chandler sound are in EMI consoles, used at Abbey Road from the 60s onwards to record some of the most seminal albums of all time, by the likes of Pink Floyd and The Beatles. And right up to the present day the Curve Bender and Zener Limiter are being used in both hardware and plug-in form by top producers and engineers across records by world-leading artists such as Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, The White Stripes, Foo Fighters, Taylor Swift, and more. The influence of the Chandler Limited® sound cannot be overstated. It shapes the world it rules.

Adding the focused channel strip workflow, as well as modern plug-in features such as External Sidechain, Mid/Side Processing, and Channel Linking, the Zener-Bender is a step into the future for your mixes. Bring the mojo and musicality of the Curve Bender, and the sophisticated authority of the Zener Limiter, to your DAW of choice and hear the improvements.

The individual plug-ins are included with the Zener-Bender, so sessions featuring the Curve Bender or Zener Limiter alone will remain as royally awesome as ever.

Zener Limiter and Zener-Bender For Console 1
In addition to the Zener-Bender, Softube and Chandler are releasing two new products: the Zener Limiter is now available as a standalone plug-in in native format, and Console 1 owners will be able to take advantage of the Zener-Bender’s sound with an exclusive Console 1 version of the strip.

In short
• Zener Limiter and Curve Bender combined in one channel strip
• The historic EMI/Abbey Road sound from the late 60s realized by Chandler Limited®’s hardware and
reimagined for a modern studio context
• Includes four plug-ins: Zener-Bender, Zener Limiter, Curve Bender Mastering Equalizer and Zener- Bender for Console 1
• Units used on modern classic records by Beyoncé, The White Stripes, and Lady Gaga
• Zener Limiter is now available in native format
• Curve Bender, Zener Limiter and Zener-Bender For Console 1 plug-ins are also available as separate products
• Plug-in exclusive features: External Sidechain, M/S Processing, Channel Linking

Prices:
• Zener-Bender – 549 USD (Intro price: 449 USD until May 7th)
• Zener-Bender For Console 1 – 225 USD (Intro price: 125 USD until May 7th)
• Zener Limiter – 299 USD (Intro price: 199 USD until May 7th)

For more information, visit: https://www.softube.com/products/zener-bender
Attached Thumbnails
Softube and Chandler Limited release Zener-Bender-zener-bender-console1-high-res-gui.jpg   Softube and Chandler Limited release Zener-Bender-zener-bender_1200x627.jpg  
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Nut

I contact Softube,the console1 only plug don’t have the mid/side functionality,this thing for me is important to know for people that think to buy it for console1.

Another bad thing is that for the buyer of germanium (like me ) there are no discounts
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Addict

But for those that own the Curve Bender the upgrade price is €149!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808lab View Post
I contact Softube,the console1 only plug don’t have the mid/side functionality,this thing for me is important to know for people that think to buy it for console1.

Another bad thing is that for the buyer of germanium (like me ) there are no discounts
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

Hubbahubba...

Nice.

R.
Old 7th April 2020
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Press Desk View Post

• Plug-in exclusive features: External Sidechain, M/S Processing, Channel Linking
Well it's sad about lack of M/S for C1, but at the same time you could use a external Mid Side matrix to hack this limitation

Also you can dual mono for channel unlink.

What's strange is the fact that Console 1 has side chain input... why would they purposefully and artificially disable an existing feature of the platform and degrade it?

One capitalist reason is keeping the Console 1 users who aren't falling for beAuTIFUL gUI dIseaSE, feeling frustrated and get them to upgrade.

But until I demo and confirm that this is true I'll refrain from making any formal accusations of purely monetary driven practices.
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808lab View Post

Yep just asked them , if you bougth the curve bender at 99 you get an upgrade at 149 but if you bougth the chandle at 179 , nothing , i found it strange but wait and see , i'm pretty sure they will do something

Another thing is that people that own like every channel strips ect don't get nothing on new channel strips ...what i'm saying is that loyal costulmers don't get way more inciation than new comers
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

While I think it's a fair price for the C1 version I also think they should've given an extra discount to their C1 users who own all the other consoles.
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Softube? Loyalty discounts? Don't make me laugh...
Old 7th April 2020
DSK
Lives for gear

Thing is Softube was already showing decreasing sales, which you can deduce from their new marketing strategy, mainly because of the market/competition ...now with the looming economical collapse, they are starting to easily break in regarding prices.

They are starting to go in the PA route hiding the real purchase price behind hoops like upgrade paths, coupon codes, newsletter codes etc. while keeping the list price up, and thus the perception of quality/price ratio intact.

Remember that the real market price is as always what the customer is determined to pay.

Now when people are buying less and less because of uncertainty, and suddenly their stocked plugin folders look quite appealing for now (I know mine is) companies are easily starting to drop prices.

Also new plugins have to be AMAZING to convince us as these past two years have been nothing short of mind blowing (Gullfoss, Soothe, Weiss, Vertigo, Taupe etc.)

But you also know it's gotten bad market wise these past years as half of the comments around here are about price points, discounts, upgrades, and so few actually about the sound.

With that said I do applaud Softube for trying to offer a nice bone to C1 owners with the offer for this slightly limited but what I imagine to be a great sounding EQ/Compressor combo at a great price (~100 euros without VAT here)
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Head

Does this sounds better than UAD version of Zener Limiter and Curve Bender?
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Nut

Curious to how this compares to the Waves TG Mastering Chain. I know the hardware is different, but I think they're at least somewhat similar in terms of the EQs/Comps in the Mastering Chain.
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear
Unfortunately it doesn't work. There is something messed up with authorisation as the plugin says:

This software cannot be run because the activation experience thinks the authorization was found, but the wrapper could not verify it.

Old 7th April 2020
Here for the gear

Zener-Bender for C1 doesn't show up
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Nut

They have the worst customer service in terms of education,very very arrogant and rude.
In terms of price,449$ is ridiculous.
I was interested in the c1 version,but i’ve talk with the customer service and now i’ll NEVER buy it. You cannot talk like this your user (and believe me,i’ve buy so many plugs from softube).

I’ll go for UAD at 50%,another level of customer service
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klNtN View Post
Zener-Bender for C1 doesn't show up
Did you install software ?
Activate on iLOK Manager ?
restart computer - daw and consoler 1?

Also you wont be looking for a channel strip!! just eq & comp!!

Those were my hurdles for a while!
Old 7th April 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
Did you install software ?
Activate on iLOK Manager ?
restart computer - daw and consoler 1?

Also you wont be looking for a channel strip!! just eq & comp!!

Those were my hurdles for a while!
https://www.softube.com/products/zen...er-console-1#/
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear
Damn because of lockdown I won't have access to my "real" channelstrip at the studio :

I already did a video comparison of their Curve Bender vs the hardware, I guess I will have to wait quite some time before I will be able to do the one with the Zener this time :/.

I am sure that I won't buy it at the moment anyway, as I already took their Germanium compressor few days ago (which is insane btw).
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone know how to get demo? I only see buy on the site
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube63 View Post
It's not OK to laugh at your own stupidity. I've shared some discount codes here already. The joke is on you!
Where are the discount codes posted mate?
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It's not OK to laugh at your own stupidity. I've shared some discount codes here already. The joke is on you!
Instead of being the sort of pr!ck to make personal attacks, why don't you share your brilliant loyalty discount codes and prove those of us who believe that Softube don't give a monkey's about loyalty, or long time customers, wrong.
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't work. There is something messed up with authorisation as the plugin says:

This software cannot be run because the activation experience thinks the authorization was found, but the wrapper could not verify it.

I uninstalled and installed again, but the plugins don't show up in the DAW (Ableton) even if I do rescan.
The licenses are visible on my iLok account.
I think I already spent too much time on this now.
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Maniac

549 USD..no
for 54.9 USD it might be worth testing the demo
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg70888 View Post
Curious to how this compares to the Waves TG Mastering Chain. I know the hardware is different, but I think they're at least somewhat similar in terms of the EQs/Comps in the Mastering Chain.
Superior and less cpu hungry , all subjectif here ...
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Damn because of lockdown I won't have access to my "real" channelstrip at the studio :

I already did a video comparison of their Curve Bender vs the hardware, I guess I will have to wait quite some time before I will be able to do the one with the Zener this time :/.

I am sure that I won't buy it at the moment anyway, as I already took their Germanium compressor few days ago (which is insane btw).
Yep the germanium is insane i did n t knew you went for it ... going the zener hard gets you close to zener , the germanium has a mix knob also witch is handy , and the zener really needs mor dbs of gain , problem solved when using the strip'as you get the eq gain also but the comp alone , i found in some scenarios even gaunstaged , i need some extra gain .... same for the HW ?
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Yep the germanium is insane i did n t knew you went for it ... going the zener hard gets you close to zener , the germanium has a mix knob also witch is handy , and the zener really needs mor dbs of gain , problem solved when using the strip'as you get the eq gain also but the comp alone , i found in some scenarios even gaunstaged , i need some extra gain .... same for the HW ?
I found the same thing. Trying to compress some overheads and I had to put a trim before and after the Zener.
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post

I would love to know your opinion about the plugin. Don't you have anything processed with the HW with you? And the unprocessed file as well.
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboy1996 View Post
Does this sounds better than UAD version of Zener Limiter and Curve Bender?
They are the same DSP code.
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I would love to know your opinion about the plugin. Don't you have anything processed with the HW with you? And the unprocessed file as well.
Well good point, in the video I linked above I may have unprocessed bass track !
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Gainstaging with the hardware require a bit of care but nothing too bothering like the situatio you seem to face with the plugin currently.

The outboard is just super picky with content with a lot of sub frequencies, it tends to fart quite quickly in those scenario.
But at the same time on bass it is amazing.
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Codes?
Share the love, I can't find the codes you shared for Zener-Bender.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search