The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube and Chandler Limited release Zener-Bender
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Bought it yesterday while it was on offer and took it for a quick spin.

Very impressed so far.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I wasn't arguing whether the price is right or wrong. I only said that it is not surprising. PA, Softube and UAD have such prices. Others of course don't. For the record though I think that even they start to reduce their prices. Even if it is through sales and coupons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle007 View Post
Some of the hardware clones of some of the famous compressors and EQ's are even cheaper than a lot of the well known branded plugin emulations.
A) Hardware doesn't mean better than software by definition.
B) Mass production techniques have evolved and cheap hardware is possible. I don't know if this impacts quality though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The curve bender is great. I love it already. Love the look and more important the sound.

Will give the zener a spin the next days.
Sad that there is no upgrade path to the germanium comp.
Old 1 week ago
I completely understand the frustration at the pricing policies of Softube, PA, etc... however The Curve Bender at $139 (with code) this weekend is a complete no-brainer, just the box tone alone is worth the price of admission. This also opens up a $149 upgrade path to the Zener and the full suite, these prices for these two plugins standalone is really nothing to throw a tantrum about considering the quality of these tools! Plus you get the ability to use them in a single instance AND the C1 version. We all know the game with these companies is to wait for the sale, lurk here on the boards until word gets around... once I demoed the EQ there was no way I couldn't grab the Curve Bender at that price.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcenter View Post
I completely understand the frustration at the pricing policies of Softube, PA, etc... however The Curve Bender at $139 (with code) this weekend is a complete no-brainer, just the box tone alone is worth the price of admission. This also opens up a $149 upgrade path to the Zener and the full suite, these prices for these two plugins standalone is really nothing to throw a tantrum about considering the quality of these tools! Plus you get the ability to use them in a single instance AND the C1 version. We all know the game with these companies is to wait for the sale, lurk here on the boards until word gets around... once I demoed the EQ there was no way I couldn't grab the Curve Bender at that price.
Yeah you're right. Now do I buy into softube or hold my horses? One day to decide. ugh.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Demoing the Curve Bender now, but was it really $99 recently? Or was that only if you owned the Tube Tech?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath View Post
Demoing the Curve Bender now, but was it really $99 recently? Or was that only if you owned the Tube Tech?
Yeah I think you're right. So it's the best value to get onboard for non TT customers.
Old 6 days ago
After a few days with this Zener limiter, the thing sounds cool but the gain staging is completely wacky, like no other plugin I own... the gain on it has to be cranked to be at any kind of level that can work as an A/B comparison with the bypass... also no blend, no calibration settings, really basic stuff that I expect in a 2020 compressor/limiter release. With an eq that doesn't mess with the volume it's forgivable but, c'mon!! I know I could stick a gain trim plugin after it, but the point is that I shouldn't have to click two plugins or do a complicated routing to get the compressed audio to be as loud as the bypassed for a meaningful A/B!

Hoping this thing gets an update to address some of these issues. The Curve Bender is amazing though, very happy about that one!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I noticed that too. Gladly just got the CB and will use something else for compression.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcenter View Post
After a few days with this Zener limiter, the thing sounds cool but the gain staging is completely wacky, like no other plugin I own... the gain on it has to be cranked to be at any kind of level that can work as an A/B comparison with the bypass... also no blend, no calibration settings, really basic stuff that I expect in a 2020 compressor/limiter release. With an eq that doesn't mess with the volume it's forgivable but, c'mon!! I know I could stick a gain trim plugin after it, but the point is that I shouldn't have to click two plugins or do a complicated routing to get the compressed audio to be as loud as the bypassed for a meaningful A/B!

Hoping this thing gets an update to address some of these issues. The Curve Bender is amazing though, very happy about that one!
Exact , it was a 5 min try and forget when i tried it under UAD platform at school back then .

I grabbed the C1 version cuase it's a pleasure to use there . I noticed that they got their thing together with germanium .

I really encourage Softube to have a softube bar for Dynamic and amps with digital input /output
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

All the owners of Softube Chandler Germanium now have the 50% on the zener bender collection.
Where are now the users that say “are two completely different products,is insane think to a discount of the zener bender”.
Voilà
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808lab View Post
All the owners of Softube Chandler Germanium now have the 50% on the zener bender collection.
Where are now the users that say “are two completely different products,is insane think to a discount of the zener bender”.
Voilà
I got an offer from Softube. I’d consider it if they included the germanium Compressor. That’d actually be the whole chandler family. This is misleading. Let’s get them! Is there an upgrade path from the Zener bender to the Germanium?

“we'd like to offer you a special price on the rest of the Chandler Limited® plug-in family – the Zener-Bender collection, which in addition to the Curve Bender includes the Zener Limiter, Zener-Bender channel strip for Console 1, and the full-featured Zener-Bender plug-in.”
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deif View Post
I got an offer from Softube. I’d consider it if they included the germanium Compressor. That’d actually be the whole chandler family. This is misleading. Let’s get them! Is there an upgrade path from the Zener bender to the Germanium?

“we'd like to offer you a special price on the rest of the Chandler Limited® plug-in family – the Zener-Bender collection, which in addition to the Curve Bender includes the Zener Limiter, Zener-Bender channel strip for Console 1, and the full-featured Zener-Bender plug-in.”
The germanium itself (for me) have not price,is litteraly awesome
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I can apparently upgrade to Zener-Bender for $149 since I have Curve Bender. I didn't get an email, this is just in my account. Anyone know if this is just a May promotion, or if I'll be able to upgrade later?

I would love if it was the Germanium haha
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgos View Post
A) Hardware doesn't mean better than software by definition.
B) Mass production techniques have evolved and cheap hardware is possible. I don't know if this impacts quality though.
Very true. But that was not my point. Developing and manufacturing hardware is a way more tedious process than putting some programmers at work on a piece of software. And in hardware there's cost of production, parts and physical distribution.

Not that development efforts may not be rewarded. In the contrary. But it just stroke me that software emulation prices appeared to go up, while hardware prices are coming down. Just thought (and still think) this is an odd evolution.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath View Post
I can apparently upgrade to Zener-Bender for $149 since I have Curve Bender. I didn't get an email, this is just in my account. Anyone know if this is just a May promotion, or if I'll be able to upgrade later?

I would love if it was the Germanium haha
The upgrade price goes up to $249 after the intro offer. It’s not clear to me the intro offer ends but May is a good guess.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deif View Post
The upgrade price goes up to $249 after the intro offer. It’s not clear to me the intro offer ends but May is a good guess.
Thanks. I don't want to rush to demo, so I think I'll probably grab TrackComp2 if I want the Zener flavor in the future.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

ahhhgh .... so NOW this thread shows up ... just posted this on the other Softube thread

please allow me to repeat:

What the heck is going on with Softube Central !!

I had purchased Curvebender. Installed , worked great.

Demo'd the Zener Limiter ... good stuff.

Got an Email to Upgrade to the Chandler Bundle ... Bought it.

Went to Softube Central ... Installing ... questions about surrender licenses, etc. I did what it said.

Load DAW ... load plugin ... nothing, no GUI, just a lockup/crash [Reaper].

Went to iLok to check licenses ... it all seems correct and active.

Now ... Softube Central shows Nothing Installed. The 'Not Installed' tab says: Fetching Information Hang on, we're just fetching some information about your products.

Since last night ... its still Fetching.

Went to mt Softube Account page, and all My Products show as ACTIVE.

But I have nothing

anybody ?

---- edit ----

again running Softube Central:

Fetching Information
Hang on, we're just fetching some information about your products.

since yesterday .... nothing ~!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
ahhhgh .... so NOW this thread shows up ... just posted this on the other Softube thread

What the heck is going on with Softube Central !!

I had purchased Curvebender. Installed , worked great.

Demo'd the Zener Limiter ... good stuff.

Got an Email to Upgrade to the Chandler Bundle ... Bought it.

Went to Softube Central ... Installing ... questions about surrender licenses, etc. I did what it said.

Load DAW ... load plugin ... nothing, no GUI, just a lockup/crash [Reaper].

Went to iLok to check licenses ... it all seems correct and active.

Now ... Softube Central shows Nothing Installed. The 'Not Installed' tab says: Fetching Information Hang on, we're just fetching some information about your products.

Since last night ... its still Fetching.

Went to mt Softube Account page, and all My Products show as ACTIVE.

But I have nothing

anybody ?

---- edit ----

again running Softube Central:

Fetching Information
Hang on, we're just fetching some information about your products.

since yesterday .... nothing ~!
Don't know what's up with Softube Central... I never use it since the Windows version is still in beta.

But you can download the plugins individually and install manually until it gets sorted.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Don't know what's up with Softube Central... I never use it since the Windows version is still in beta.

But you can download the plugins individually and install manually until it gets sorted.
I had.

Earlier, I just UN-installed all my Softube plugins.

I then Installed my previous purchase of CurveBender ... load up REAPER ... now the plugin doesn't even launch ... no entry, no GUI ... crash/burn.

damn

--- edit ----

Just ran Central. Shows I have 1 install ... but not Activated. iLok has it activated.

hmmm.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

What the heck is going on with Softube Central !!....

...But I have nothing

anybody ?!

This happened to me as well. (I'm on a macpro, fwiw).

It was a couple of months ago, and I don't remember the specific steps I took for it to be working; but it involved the kind of checking the various "accounts" and downloading and registering that you're doing. Gobbler wasn't loading it; yeah, I don't think Softube Central was either; so like javahut is suggesting, I also downloaded directly from Softube's website.

Seems like it was something with the iLok piece of things? Like, even though you've activated by entering / registering the download code / license so that it shows up in iLok, you also have to highlight the plug-in within iLok and either right-click "activate" or click the "activate" button. You have to tell iLok where you're activating to (physical iLok, the computer, cloud).

It's possible that part of the process was it needed some time for all the pieces to "catch up" with each other; so maybe also try restarting computer, iLok, and DAW. Eventually it showed up in my Softube Central as activated as well and it loads fine for me.

Good luck!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
This happened to me as well. (I'm on a macpro, fwiw).

It was a couple of months ago, and I don't remember the specific steps I took for it to be working; but it involved the kind of checking the various "accounts" and downloading and registering that you're doing. Gobbler wasn't loading it; yeah, I don't think Softube Central was either; so like javahut is suggesting, I also downloaded directly from Softube's website.

Seems like it was something with the iLok piece of things? Like, even though you've activated by entering / registering the download code / license so that it shows up in iLok, you also have to highlight the plug-in within iLok and either right-click "activate" or click the "activate" button. You have to tell iLok where you're activating to (physical iLok, the computer, cloud).

It's possible that part of the process was it needed some time for all the pieces to "catch up" with each other; so maybe also try restarting computer, iLok, and DAW. Eventually it showed up in my Softube Central as activated as well and it loads fine for me.

Good luck!
Thank-you ...

I just uninstalled Central ... and Re-installed. None of my Products are showing up in either Install, or Not Installed.

I tried manually installing CurveBender again ... does not Authorize in Central.

It is Active in iLok [as a Group]. I'm using the PC storage location, just I had done previously, working. [i did do the SYNC for the iLok-3 key that I have].

To repeat ... all my purchases show on Softube website ... all licenses ACTIVE.

I sent message to Tech Support ... heard nothing back as yet.

so frustrating
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Until they fix the gain staging on the Limiter, think there are better options out there IMHO. The Curve Bender though is sweet sweet sweetness.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post

Good luck!
Well ... I did the REBOOT [something I rarely do] ... that DID bring back the list on Uninstalled plugs in Central.

Prior ... I did an update to the iLok software [don't know why that wasn't made notice].

I also uninstalled Central, download a new one, re-installed.

Installed the plugins ... ran Reaper, load a plugin, no GUI, lockup crash/burn.

In iLok, I de-authorized ... I move them to my iLok Key, authorized. Same issue from Reaper.

Did a manual install of CurveBender ... the one I original had [that worked before bundle upgrade] ... no difference ... crash.

I'm at a loss what to do next ...

Still no word from Support :|
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

btw ... my post was not to specifically go to you 4fmb ... [except to thank-you for the reboot reminder] ...

hopefully someone can offer suggestion/solution.

thanks again.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
btw ... my post was not to specifically go to you 4fmb ... [except to thank-you for the reboot reminder] ...

hopefully someone can offer suggestion/solution.

thanks again.
Do the old ones working ?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Do the old ones working ?
Yes.

I first purchased CurveBender ... worked great.

Demo'd Limiter ... worked. Since I liked what the Limiter sounded ... I went for the upgrade to the Chandler Bundle [which had the CB, Limiter, Zener, and the Console1 version that I cannot use].

Did all the iLok change over ... my Account shows all plugs purchased and active.

Loading up in Reaper or PlugDoc .... nothing but lockup/crash.

Same with manual Install ... crash.

I don't get it.

Just posted a possible error log file to support ... with detailed explanation. The Submit went to a 500 error on their site. Message lost

this is nutz.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes.

I first purchased CurveBender ... worked great.

Demo'd Limiter ... worked. Since I liked what the Limiter sounded ... I went for the upgrade to the Chandler Bundle [which had the CB, Limiter, Zener, and the Console1 version that I cannot use].

Did all the iLok change over ... my Account shows all plugs purchased and active.

Loading up in Reaper or PlugDoc .... nothing but lockup/crash.

Same with manual Install ... crash.

I don't get it.

Just posted a possible error log file to support ... with detailed explanation. The Submit went to a 500 error on their site. Message lost

this is nutz.
Ok launch an old one and check the open gl setting ....
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Ok launch an old one and check the open gl setting ....
I now can't even launch the old one ... which was not that old.

I installed the original file I used for the Demo ... and that too has stopped working. Same issue.

From what I can tell .... the ONLY change to my system ... the iLok authorization codes changed when I bought the Bundle.

I had to De-authorize the original purchased version of CB ... then switch to the bundle authorization. From that point, none of the Chandler plugs load. They just crash.

There just doesn't seem to be a way, that I know of, to de-authorize the bundle, and return back to my original CB and author code.

Maybe somebody knows ?!?

btw ... during this, no changes were made to my computer [at least by me]. Both Reaper and PlugDoc crash.

and still no word from Support.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I now can't even launch the old one ... which was not that old.

I installed the original file I used for the Demo ... and that too has stopped working. Same issue.

From what I can tell .... the ONLY change to my system ... the iLok authorization codes changed when I bought the Bundle.

I had to De-authorize the original purchased version of CB ... then switch to the bundle authorization. From that point, none of the Chandler plugs load. They just crash.

There just doesn't seem to be a way, that I know of, to de-authorize the bundle, and return back to my original CB and author code.

Maybe somebody knows ?!?

btw ... during this, no changes were made to my computer [at least by me]. Both Reaper and PlugDoc crash.

and still no word from Support.
You don't have to de authorise it replaces on it's own with a prompt if i recall well

Have you check if your licences is there on ilok ? cloud , local or key or in availlable
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search