The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube releases Chandler Limited Germanium Compressor plug-in
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Not as good as the Jeezo video (he is the master), but here is min :

In context of a rock mix and a "synth pop" mix.

P.S. : Not real finish mixes since I had to deactivate quite a lot of tracks and plugins for my computer to be able to record the video, the audio while doing the demo at the same time .

I personally really liked it ! And it reminded me of the outboard a lot (hopefully haha).
Lol unbiased review , do you insinuate that mine is biased ? if so ..... you dammmmmm right , i have one at school and love it lol will watch your take as i always enjoy your take ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
Yeah I had to play with the API settings (all knobs in every direction ) to get it close but not identical at all and without the help of a post-comp EQ is far from being any close.
In fact the freq curve isn t an issue imho , like someone mentionned if i recall well , mixing in it would be super fun , and even put on master post prod , shouldn t be an issue if part of an homgenous chain .... because what it brings on the table is so worth ....

Just was looking for Wheelie video on yoitube and i saw several reviews in one day of this , witch leads me in this question : why some brands are fully covered with reviews versus other (for exemple overloud) while their tools are at least as good ...

Waves , softube , slate ...ect versus overloud , sometime ik', dmg ect ...i can t stop thinking that some peopl choose reviews on the potential audience this could bring , sad for real but it s fact ... ... (Wheelie i ain t talking about you homie , i know how geekee your are and why you love to share your thougth , parts of our fun around here for exemple ..) ... i dont know i might be wrong but this schematic seems to emerges since several months ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
In fact the freq curve isn t an issue imho , like someone mentionned if i recall well , mixing in it would be super fun , and even put on master post prod , shouldn t be an issue if part of an homgenous chain .... because what it brings on the table is so worth ....

Just was looking for Wheelie video on yoitube and i saw several reviews in one day of this , witch leads me in this question : why some brands are fully covered with reviews versus other (for exemple overloud) while their tools are at least as good ...

Waves , softube , slate ...ect versus overloud , sometime ik', dmg ect ...i can t stop thinking that some peopl choose reviews on the potential audience this could bring , sad for real but it s fact ... ... (Wheelie i ain t talking about you homie , i know how geekee your are and why you love to share your thougth , parts of our fun around here for exemple ..) ... i dont know i might be wrong but this schematic seems to emerges since several months ...
For sure the FR is not the main issue to match them sounds, what I really meant, is that the UAD API 2500 FR is too flat so without replicating the FR of the Germanium with an extra EQ plugin there's no way that they can sound in the same ballpark, even if somehow we managed to bring the compression action closer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I am bit sceptical. They don't explain what they did to simulate it and what makes it special. I have plenty of Softube plugins, but it's been always after initial enthusiasm when trying it out I found them not really useful when actually trying to use them in a project (except Weiss). The sound just wasn't there.
Have they learned something new? What has been improved in comparison to their previous plugins?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just FYI guys, UAD running a 50% sale for 3 days, so that makes the Zener Limiter for £114 which is a bit cheaper than the native Germanium even with the current introduction discount.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
I am bit sceptical. They don't explain what they did to simulate it and what makes it special. I have plenty of Softube plugins, but it's been always after initial enthusiasm when trying it out I found them not really useful when actually trying to use them in a project (except Weiss). The sound just wasn't there.
Have they learned something new? What has been improved in comparison to their previous plugins?
YOu have to push them , and to find the sweet spot , this was the case for me on console one emulations specially for neve and api comps .... if you want instant caracter , i will not go softube but more PA and overloud for exemple ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Just FYI guys, UAD running a 50% sale for 3 days, so that makes the Zener Limiter for £114 which is a bit cheaper than the native Germanium even with the current introduction discount.
It s not 50% lol it s a sale on the 50 most popular plugins .... you gotta love marketing tricks and how this world made tricks and near lies a job ....and a way of doing bizness ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It s not 50% lol it s a sale on the 50 most popular plugins .... you gotta love marketing tricks and how this world made tricks and near lies a job ....and a way of doing bizness ...
that's right about the top 50. But yesterday and by mistake, they sent an email said there's a 50% discount. So, just a few hours ago they sent another email said to fix this mistake they'll give a 50% discount only for 3 days.

so the top 50 plugin sale is for the whole month, but the 50% only for 3 days starting from now.

I can see the 50% discount only if I log in.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I’m not seeing this. What price are you getting for the API 2500, for example? It’s showing me $249, which is not 50% off.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
Softube do full circuit modelling, they have older videos on their YouTube explaining their process, basically them opening the box and taking various measurements with a test probe. And also the PDF manual is really helpful to explain what they did to simulate it and what makes it special. The hardware they modelled here is a different circuit so its not going to sound like their previous plugins.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deif View Post
I’m not seeing this. What price are you getting for the API 2500, for example? It’s showing me $249, which is not 50% off.
Have you received an email about the sale yesterday? this 50% seems not for everyone. it's only for the guys who got the false 50% campaign by email yesterday.

Already got the 2500 so I can't see the current sale price, but it should be £114 with the 50% sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Softube releases Chandler Limited Germanium Compressor plug-in-uad-sale.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Softube do full circuit modelling, they have older videos on their YouTube explaining their process, basically them opening the box and taking various measurements with a test probe. And also the PDF manual is really helpful to explain what they did to simulate it and what makes it special. The hardware they modelled here is a different circuit so its not going to sound like their previous plugins.
They tend to ditch the output amplification stage on many of their emulations like the Tube-Tech EQ/Comp (including the mk2), Chandler Curve Bender, FET compressor and the Drawmer 1973. It's a bummer because a big part of the sound is in the IO stage alone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you received an email about the sale yesterday? this 50% seems not for everyone. it's only for the guys who got the false 50% campaign by email yesterday.

Already got the 2500 so I can't see the current sale price, but it should be £114 with the 50% sale.
Only a few users got this offer, so it’s not for all.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
They tend to ditch the output amplification stage on many of their emulations like the Tube-Tech EQ/Comp (including the mk2), Chandler Curve Bender, FET compressor and the Drawmer 1973. It's a bummer because a big part of the sound is in the IO stage alone.
Exactly. And this is why I don’t like some Softube or Plugin Alliance releases. I’m okay with Pro-C2 not having IO stage distortion feature because fabfilter did not advertise it that way. But when plugin company advertise product being emulation of hardware I want to have a proper IO-stage section with harmonics and distortion.

Cl1b mk2 have zero thd and softube said it exactly how hardware works. Their pultec mk2 plugin has no IO stage so you can’t distort it like hardware. This is nonsense.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

love the negative feedback circuit for that low end boost,but the germanium drive sounds broken to me.can't think of a single situation in which i'd use it.makes everything sound too damped and tiny(never heard the real thing so,i have no idea if that is how it is supposed to sound)i'd seriously just want the feedback knob as a single knob plugin.it would be almost a staple on acoustic kicks which have far too much useless bottom end that don't add to the envelope in any way for me.not fond of the compression either.has that overly poppy transient sound when you dig in with the gain reduction that some plugin comps suffer from,makes the transient sound separate from the rest of the envelope which in turn dicks with the depth of your mixes.

As has been pointed out the gainstaging on this thing is horrendous.-50dB input to get no gain reduction?????at all.you cocked that one up Softube

Best thing about this is the feedback circuit definitely
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wish Softube had loyalty discounts/vouchers. I own about 10 of their plugins. Most are great. Only the CL1B MKII is disappointing to me. Tape and Harmonics aren't best in class but they're cheap when on sale (which is often) and by no means useless in 2020.

Their great ones however, like their two previous Chandler emulations (including the UAD exclusive), and the amazing API-inspired channel strip (better workflow and GUI than the strict console emulations from PA/UAD imo), and Weiss, are so good that any new release is a must-try for me, even if it is $200.

Thanks @ Jeezo for the helpful tips!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Lol unbiased review , do you insinuate that mine is biased ? if so ..... you dammmmmm right , i have one at school and love it lol will watch your take as i always enjoy your take ...
Hehehe !

No, I love your reviews. But if my title is "Black Cat : Mine is real" it does not mean that all the other black cat are fake or grey .

I chose this title to express the fact that no one is paying me or offering me free plugins to make a demo of it. I download them myself and review them.

It might seem basic, but I think this level of transparency is important on Youtube as you can see a lot of branded content, where the guys are enthusiastic about a product because they received it for free. -- Something is always better when it is free, this is where you can here the kind of comment like : "This can be useful on percussion, I can really see myself using it for this". Of course for free you will, but would you think the same if you had to pay 200 for it ? You see what I mean --

Thanks a lot for your kind words =D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

I agree with you here. As you may already know this comes from marketing and their newsletter / potential customers / customers basis. And then branding, like everyone reviewing the new iPhone instead of another release of a similar smartphone.

I suspect IK and Overloud to collaborate with a few "Youtubers" to make video for them (but I could be blatantly wrong). But fact is they do it with big names (like TLA with IK for example).

I agree with you, it's a bit sad in a way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
that's right about the top 50. But yesterday and by mistake, they sent an email said there's a 50% discount. So, just a few hours ago they sent another email said to fix this mistake they'll give a 50% discount only for 3 days.

so the top 50 plugin sale is for the whole month, but the 50% only for 3 days starting from now.

I can see the 50% discount only if I log in.
Not showing when I login... just the top 59 sale
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Music View Post
Full price: USD 249
Intro price: USD 199

It is very expensive.

Plugin Alliance and Waves they do right.
The hardware version is about $1,700.

Plugin Alliance and Waves sell themselves short.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
The biggest disappointment for me was Softube Harmonics. I felt it sounds great but after spending more time with it I couldn't shake the feeling that the distortion it is adding is actually a static buzzing sample mixed with the original sound that essentially sounds fake. Probably I am wrong, but it is how it feels to me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
Wish Softube had loyalty discounts/vouchers. I own about 10 of their plugins. Most are great. Only the CL1B MKII is disappointing to me. Tape and Harmonics aren't best in class but they're cheap when on sale (which is often) and by no means useless in 2020.

Their great ones however, like their two previous Chandler emulations (including the UAD exclusive), and the amazing API-inspired channel strip (better workflow and GUI than the strict console emulations from PA/UAD imo), and Weiss, are so good that any new release is a must-try for me, even if it is $200.

Thanks @ Jeezo for the helpful tips!
Hey, Tom from Softube here. If you make sure you're subscribed to our mailing list, you won't miss out on the specifically targeted campaigns we run from time to time. If you sign up to our mailing-list this month, you'll actually receive a 30% voucher you can apply to most of our products. Learn more about it here: https://www.softube.com/subscribers-club#/
Old 4 weeks ago
dio
Lives for gear

Nice pricing! (NOT). It reminds me when I bought the URS classic console strip pro for about $350 a decade ago (and practically became abandonware a few months later). Oh, those were the days!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Nice pricing! (NOT). It reminds me when I bought the URS classic console strip pro for about $350 a decade ago (and practically became abandonware a few months later). Oh, those were the days!
Me too...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you’re making a living out of this - the pricing is just fine (given you like the plugin). If you’re not, you don’t need this anyway...!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Value and worth are different for everyone. For me $200 is worth it if the plugin gives me extra confidence, because I'm a composer before a mixer. I usually have to deliver finished "mixes" so if $200 spent can make me feel more confident that my mix has some extra oomph in a few areas, or a great envelope on the master bus compression, to me that's worth it. It can also be worth it just by making one of the 70+ hours I spend on a track more fun. Some plugins are indeed just more fun to use than others.

For someone who's more talented at mixing, they're going to be more confident with a fewer amount of tools and probably more objective about which tools entirely cover their needs. For them, spending $200 on another compressor might be more wasteful. I've watched a scoring mixer mix an entire theatrical score with just the oxford plugins. No hardware, no fancy modern plugins. And the result was fantastic. Doesn't seem like $200 on a new plugin compressor would be worth it to him at all.

So whether $200 for a compressor is "worth it" or not is different for everyone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Hey all, Tom from Softube here! I got some info from our VP Product, Niklas, to shed some light on this topic:

Our emulations are indeed circuit modeled and we do look at every component. Some components matter much, like the FET transistor and bias voltage in the FET Compressor, or the transformers in the Tube-Tech EQs. Others matter less, like main rail voltage filtering in a Tube-Tech (although the main rail voltage filtering is a big part of the Marshall Plexi sound!)

All products we do have emulated input or output stages. Some don’t create harmonics/distortion, although that is an exception. The Drawmer 1973 and Eden WT-800 are two examples where we deliberately chose not to include that. In the case of the 1973 the amount of harmonics from the output stage was a magnitude less than the amount of harmonics from the compression stage. With Eden WT-800 it was a product decision, Eden spent lots of time and money to make the WT-800 as clean as possible, and we wanted to honor that decision.
Old 4 weeks ago
dio
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
If you’re making a living out of this - the pricing is just fine (given you like the plugin). If you’re not, you don’t need this anyway...!
It depends...

For specialized mastering tools, perhaps. Less for bread and butter plugins like reverbs and totally not a case for something like amps sims or synths, where your potential customers includes thousands of amateurs/enthousiasts around the globe, as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softube View Post
Hey all, Tom from Softube here! I got some info from our VP Product, Niklas, to shed some light on this topic:

In the case of the 1973 the amount of harmonics from the output stage was a magnitude less than the amount of harmonics from the compression stage.
The interesting thing about analog hardware is the cumulative effect of every stage through which the signal goes, no matter how subtle it can impact the sound. In this regard, even if an input or output stage has a subtle impact (very subjective notion in my opinion), it should be emulated. Sometimes it also leads to a frustrating situation, you can't push these emulations into saturation like you would be able to if you were attacking the HW input or output stage with a hot signal. I was missing that possibility with the Tube Tech bundle and with the Chandler EQ for example.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softube View Post
[I]Our emulations are indeed circuit modeled and we do look at every component. Some components matter much, like the FET transistor and bias voltage in the FET Compressor, or the transformers in the Tube-Tech EQs. Others matter less, like main rail voltage filtering in a Tube-Tech (although the main rail voltage filtering is a big part of the Marshall Plexi sound!)
I believe all components matter, otherwise they wouldn't be a part of the unit. That's the problem with most of the plugins that claim to model particular hardware. Compromises are made but not when it comes to marketing blurb
Then you think, great! I will put my bass track through it to get that saucy distortion I always wanted to get from that hardware and you get disappointment. Then company explains, oh we actually didn't model that because we thought it is not important (or add another excuse) (my comment is not about this particular plugin but in general)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search