The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube releases Chandler Limited Germanium Compressor plug-in
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's just that in software, gain staging when emulating analogue gear needs to be carefully thought out. As long as everything is floating point precision there is no reason for Softube not to have a calibration knob or feature of some sort that lets us tell the plugin exactly at what range we are operating.

This is pretty poor design by softube in my opinion.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
I'm reading many have gain staging problems? Right? Way too hot signal, mainly ITB workflows I suppose?

These tools are made for soft touch sort of speak. A levels way lower than modern hot production.

Would you say if levels were as low as when all was done with outboard gear and thru consoles, with way larger dynamic range on most of recorded signals would you say units like these then are showing their tru face?

Just a thought, just a thought...

Anyway, great news from Softube! I really like how 2020 started.
We know homie , give us a minimum credit , the curves have such a big range of differences , i'm talking gain staged , put yourself in Zener Hard and test for yourself !!

If i want to kiss the needles GR wise , i have to put myself on minimum gain , having to mess with output near 24
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
It's just that in software, gain staging when emulating analogue gear needs to be carefully thought out. As long as everything is floating point precision there is no reason for Softube not to have a calibration knob or feature of some sort that lets us tell the plugin exactly at what range we are operating.

This is pretty poor design by softube in my opinion.
I agree there. Something like Brainworx did on Focusrite Console Plugin. PPM and VU Calibration Level for user to set it up. Something like that would make the difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
We know homie , give us a minimum credit , the curves have such a big range of differences , i'm talking gain staged , put yourself in Zener Hard and test for yourself !!

If i want to kiss the needles GR wise , i have to put myself on minimum gain , having to mess with output near 24
I hear you Jeezo. I hear you. See my reply on bmanic's post on that same exact issue.

Not trying to be smart, just lazy. Hehehe...

Krešo
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
I hear you Jeezo. I hear you. See my reply on bmanic's post on that same exact issue.

Not trying to be smart, just lazy. Hehehe...

Krešo
all good homie , my reply was more to precise what i should have done before !!

Hope it doesn't sounded harsh , you should be with me now smile on my face with this plugin !!

GUYZ , for those that are not familiar , LIKE the HW , this thing have so much interaction possibilities that the SWEETSPOT IS to be FOUND ....

COmp not for kids , i mean not the SSL type stuff , this one is to give it some real deep testing to appreciate the good "combinaisons"

The snap i'm talking about is due to the compression curves , witch i also loveon the 2254 , basically the compression curve is linear , then ratio part then linear again , this is why i love it , that snap then relaxe thingy is what give what i described in previous posts and was looking for since a decade in the plugin format lol and what give snap and body , while a lot of plugin give you one at the expense of the other ....

Need to do you guyz a video on the Sunset and this one definitly !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Guys, it's more for mojo than real duty compression, so for the best result mix some dry signal. If you need to control real dynamic issue then just use another tool.

I noticed on an acoustical rhythm guitar it did very nice on extracting the groove from the high-mids and opened the top-end without any harshness or clicky peaks, there were some slipping transients every now and then but they are not sharp or harsh, just clear and open with a vintage tone in the low-mids.

I tried to use a faster attack (even used the fastest) on that rhythm guitar trying to avoid the slipping transients and it didn't work, all I got from that was a mushy signal. So a medium attack between 3-to-6 seems the best range.

Output pot is post bypass (the in-comp on/off), that's a weird idea!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The snap i'm talking about is due to the compression curves , witch i also loveon the 2254 , basically the compression curve is linear , then ratio part then linear again , this is why i love it , that snap then relaxe thingy is what give what i described in previous posts and was looking for since a decade in the plugin format lol and what give snap and body , while a lot of plugin give you one at the expense of the other ....
Agree on the snap, couldn't replicate it with other comps I have (got so many) even the UAD Zener couldn't replicate it. And I think it is this snap what makes high-mids so detailed and open but without being harsh.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Guyz for the bump put the feedback back near 1/2 , play with drive for level and also the tone , drive it in this position and you will roll off lows like a lot !! so guyz the tone possibilities a re wiked in this section
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammynOut View Post
Boy have times changed. Lol!

I remember one Drawmer plugin, and many others, going for $750+.

These days anything over $50...
Market has changed. Imagine selling a compressor for over $100 in the year 2020. LOL. What a joke.

Just kidding, I'm sure this sounds great. Softube, Acustica, And UAD can get away with selling plugins this expensive. But I'm not gonna just buy something if it's from one of those companies either.

Justifying spending $100 on a compressor these days almost always prevents me from buying it. I'd say 75% of the time I decide not to buy if its that expensive. But I almost always give in and buy when its under $50.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Managed to replicate Germanium compression/tone on a drums kit loop using UAD API 2500 and Pultec EQP-1a, had to boost 20hz and 12Khz quite a bit to get close.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodakell View Post
Market has changed. Imagine selling a compressor for over $100 in the year 2020. LOL. What a joke.

Just kidding, I'm sure this sounds great. Softube, Acustica, And UAD can get away with selling plugins this expensive. But I'm not gonna just buy something if it's from one of those companies either.

Justifying spending $100 on a compressor these days almost always prevents me from buying it. I'd say 75% of the time I decide not to buy if its that expensive. But I almost always give in and buy when its under $50.
IMO paying a $200 for a plugin is not an issue if end up using it a lot. The real issue is we keep buy things that rarely get used, just because we may need it someday!.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This HW manual is super helpful. Read the section of the Drive/Feedback very important if you want to get rid of the low-end pump.

https://chandlerlimited.com/wp-conte...sor-manual.pdf
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Agree with M Albazy,

All the things most of you are complaining about are part of the hardware.
The gain staging, the low-end boost etc...
Chandler Limited gear are often full of quirks. The Zener farts severly with material full of bass, the Germanium Pre "Thump" adds a good amount of hum (and they are very sensitive to power suppliers, which can broke often), the TG12345 is sometimes subject to some weird noises that disappear after a while or a switch off. All those things that are often linked to some sonic decision.
So if Softube embrace the "quirkiness" of the Germanium comp, that does not surprise me. That reminds me that the gain staging structure of their TLA100A is identical to the hardware for example, that really surprised me when I compared them.

I never thought I'd see a plugin of that compressor, it's quite a unique beast and can be far more versatile than you think.
It can sound clean and moderate (to some extent as it stills has a noticeable induced EQ curve).

I did a video about it that is currently uploading.

As said mon compatriote Jeezo, it is far from a forgiving compressor. You can def messes up the signal with in a horrible way. But if you take the time to patiently learn it inside-out, it become ****ing amazing.
At least the hardware ! The plugin behaves in the same way imo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
This HW manual is super helpful. Read the section of the Drive/Feedback very important if you want to get rid of the low-end pump.

https://chandlerlimited.com/wp-conte...sor-manual.pdf
Exact and the craziest is that opposit settings can do the same !!! this thing is not for kids , Drive at 1 or 2 Feedback at 3 is a good starting point in my case for freq curving !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just gave it a demo as I used to have one ages ago when I mixed with hardware and have always wanted to try / hear a pair over a mix ala MHB.

I gladly report that to me it sounds amazing, I've just tried it over a rough mix from yesterday and slapped it over with the Brauer preset.
Backing off the feedback and adjust gain to suit sounds great to me, definitely a low end bump with the feedback dialled up which I do remember from the real thing.

I'm not feeling any issue with gain staging throughout it, seems to be working well for me. I would only foresee myself using it over a mix though.

I also think if it was on at the start of a mix the low end bump with the feedback turned up would be negated as you'd be mixing through that from the start.
I have EL-REY on every mix from the start which does a similar low end thing (which is un-controllable unlike the Germ).

Going to give it a go on a proper mix from scratch next week before I hit the purchase button but my heart has already said yes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Drive 9 Feedback 2 is sounding awesome on hip hop drum bus right now. Reading the HW manual helped a ton. This thing takes a minute to wrap your head around, and I think the default settings don't help, haha, but man--once you dial it in it can sound really really great. Bought too many plugins recently so I might hold off for now, but we'll see...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Here we go guyz , a fast one lol (40 min ahah)

1) Plugin Tour (fuking crucial lol)
2) All curves
3) Drive Feedback section analysis
4) Dual mono test
5) Conclusion

Thks for watching

NB : Add to cons : No A/B and not easy to master / find the sweet spot / better mix in ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
Managed to replicate Germanium compression/tone on a drums kit loop using UAD API 2500 and Pultec EQP-1a, had to boost 20hz and 12Khz quite a bit to get close.
Funny you mention it cause it reminded me the api in some settings but api has no groove versus this box
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammynOut View Post
Boy have times changed. Lol!

I remember one Drawmer plugin, and many others, going for $750+.

These days anything over $50...
True I paid about that for a certain Waves plugin in 2007. I also remember getting a dollar for each iTunes download. Now it's fractions of a penny per stream. My music royalty income is a 10th what it used to be before streaming so I guess most plugins costing a 10th what they used to helps us keep releasing music.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Wont buy any plugin greater than $99 and thats only my own decision. Magic Death Eye proves a lot before you buy a plugin.

A. Zero Latency, i can use it even in tracking. And it sounds great!
B. Low CPU, again even with the CPU hit it sounds ridiculously good.

These are the two major factors I need in a plugin. And Ill buy them in an instant.

To be honest I dont get plugins that are CPU Heavy and gives a lot of latency. Just lame coding for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic View Post
Wont buy any plugin greater than $99 and thats only my own decision. Magic Death Eye proves a lot before you buy a plugin.

A. Zero Latency, i can use it even in tracking. And it sounds great!
B. Low CPU, again even with the CPU hit it sounds ridiculously good.

These are the two major factors I need in a plugin. And Ill buy them in an instant.

To be honest I dont get plugins that are CPU Heavy and gives a lot of latency. Just lame coding for me.
This one isn't heavy at all ... and has 0.1ms of latency with pretty sure oversampling in it ....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Guyz i m litteraly near buying the hardware , so if this is anyhthing near , even if i find it pricey , it will make save way more lol ...

I was testing yesturday the only solid option witch is the zeer from Dmg in track comp witch is really exellent ...so death match time !! The ability to have it in C1 is a plus !!

EDIT :

Here we go guyz , a fast one lol (40 min ahah)

1) Plugin Tour (fuking crucial lol)
2) All curves
3) Drive Feedback section analysis
4) Dual mono test
5) Conclusion

Thks for watching

NB : Add to cons : No A/B and not easy to master / find the sweet spot / better mix in ...

@ Jeezo like always enjoyed the video and a very good round trip. Very informative and the Beat rocks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'll check this out around BF sale.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

YES! Instant happiness.... thanks for another awesome plugin, I will buy this w/o demoing.
The Curve Bender never leaves my 2 Bus, and this comp will be a great complement.

Btw. Softube has BY FAR the most affable and quickest support of all software developers that I own. It only took them 2 hours (!!!) to refresh my licenses when I lost my iLok last October during a tour. No extra charge, no questions, very empathic contact persons.

To be fair, Kush were second ...

Thanks again!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Holy Moly... this has some serious amount of low end...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFi View Post
Holy Moly... this has some serious amount of low end...
Wait until you try the Brauer preset lol

For console users , put the ssl 4000 channel strip , roll off at 45 and used it : crazy good even on electronic stuff. ,.... so good was a bout to make a quik video on it only on electro stuff but maybe WheelieR video gonna cover this ....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Wait until you try the Brauer preset lol

For console users , put the ssl 4000 channel strip , roll off at 45 and used it : crazy good even on electronic stuff. ,.... so good was a bout to make a quik video on it only on electro stuff but maybe WheelieR video gonna cover this ....
Oh thanks man ! It is still uploading, should be there in hour, internet connection is slow at the moment :/.

Mine is covering examples on mixbus, bass, electric guitars and vocal in a rock mix.

And on mixbus, bass/808, keys on a synth pop (80s vibe ish) mix.

All in solo and in context.

I indeed tried the Brauer preset on mixbus to show how it affects the low-end and show how this compressor can make a break a mix pretty quickly.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Not as good as the Jeezo video (he is the master), but here is min :

In context of a rock mix and a "synth pop" mix.

P.S. : Not real finished mixes since I had to deactivate quite a lot of tracks and plugins for my computer to be able to record the video, the audio while doing the demo at the same time .

I personally really liked it ! And it reminded me of the outboard a lot (hopefully haha).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exact and the craziest is that opposit settings can do the same !!! this thing is not for kids , Drive at 1 or 2 Feedback at 3 is a good starting point in my case for freq curving !!
I managed to get the flatest response with Drive almost full and Feedback 0.50. But the pots are super sensitive to mouse near the start/end of the circle, I had to click CTRL a be very gentle moving the mouse a tiny tiny bit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funny you mention it cause it reminded me the api in some settings but api has no groove versus this box
Yeah I had to play with the API settings (all knobs in every direction ) to get it close but not identical at all and without the help of a post-comp EQ is far from being any close.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search