The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica Audio releases Jade: introducing CORE15 - Dynamic Routing Tech
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mies View Post
Just curious, why isn't there a separate plugin for the compressor as usually is the case for AA bundles?
Yep, wondering too.
Old 24th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mies View Post
Just curious, why isn't there a separate plugin for the compressor as usually is the case for AA bundles?
Maybe that is the reason?

"For the first time, in the Jade suite, we included an alternative version of the channel strip called JADE ‘AL’. ‘Adaptive Latency’ technology can reduce plugin latency and resource consumption depending on the number of sections used.
EXAMPLE: if you only use the Jade channel-strip equalization module, bypassing the compressor section, you will experience a lower latency. Thanks to this NEW plugin approach, you will be able to optimize the use of your resources without sacrificing the distinctive quality of Acustica products."
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head
Maybe, yes - thanks for attracting my attention to this paragraph, Karlsplatz. It certainly would explain why AA could have felt a separate compressor redundant, but I don't know, maybe it's just me, but there's something to say for single-purpose tools. Perhaps Zaphod will chime in to confirm.

Having said that, it's no showstopper. So far, I'm quite enjoying JADE.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Nut

Nicely done Acustica! Enjoying this one a lot.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlsplatz View Post
Maybe that is the reason?

"For the first time, in the Jade suite, we included an alternative version of the channel strip called JADE ‘AL’. ‘Adaptive Latency’ technology can reduce plugin latency and resource consumption depending on the number of sections used.
EXAMPLE: if you only use the Jade channel-strip equalization module, bypassing the compressor section, you will experience a lower latency. Thanks to this NEW plugin approach, you will be able to optimize the use of your resources without sacrificing the distinctive quality of Acustica products."
Exactly, that's the reason.
One of the criticisms we sometimes get is that we provide too many plugins eh eh.
The point is that in this specific case there are two compressors and they are designed to work well within a routing, so it made no sense to take them off the strip. In other products we will continue with the release of separate products instead, as the case may be.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
Eq A is Maag
I really liked the MaagEQ plugin, then found the freeware Luftikus was better (usability wise).

My understanding is the Maag sound comes down to the curves mostly, nothing special hardware wise so it'll be interesting to compare.

Interested to test the AL tech, it seems like a good improvement.

The biggest improvement I'd like to see is auto-gain/level matching. It's easily one of the most important features for making better mixing decisions, but the louder = better trick has sold far more plugins than any marketing so it's understandable developers are resistant.

Making zero latency, adaptive latency and normal switchable should also be a priority, because no one wants 3 versions of each plugin, especially when Acustica doesn't make them backwards compatible so every update needs to be installed as a separate version.

They multiply like tribbles. By the time Gold 4 comes out there will be about 30 instances of it in my plugin folder needed for older projects. This isn't good.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Addict

Had a quick look in plugin doctor comparing the MaagEQ4, Luftitkus, and Jade.

At default settings both the Maag and Luftitkus have a slightly wavey response with a roll off at 5hz. Jade is flat with nothing in the harmonic analysis vs. very low broadband "noise" for the others. Not a big deal.

One thing Maag EQs do which I've always thought is weird is raise the level of everything regardless of the frequency. So when boosting 650hz by 10dB, down to 10hz or up to 20k is also boosted by 2.5dB. This seems to make larger boosts seem more smooth (since 10dB is actually 7.5dB at most relative to everything else) and make everything sound "better" by being louder. I can't think of any other eq that when boosting a sub frequency of 10hz by 5dB also boosts 20k by nearly 2dB.

These aren't meant to be surgical and it's hard to argue with the results, plenty of people like Maag EQs including me, but this is quite strange.

When comparing similar settings the curves look nothing alike, but when compensating for the weird gain stuff the Maag does it's very close so EQ A in Jade could be viewed as a far more predictable version that boosts/cuts what it's supposed to without the other tomfoolery.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
I really liked the MaagEQ plugin, then found the freeware Luftikus was better (usability wise).

My understanding is the Maag sound comes down to the curves mostly, nothing special hardware wise so it'll be interesting to compare.

The biggest improvement I'd like to see is auto-gain/level matching. It's easily one of the most important features for making better mixing decisions, but the louder = better trick has sold far more plugins than any marketing so it's understandable developers are resistant.

Making zero latency, adaptive latency and normal switchable should also be a priority, because no one wants 3 versions of each plugin, especially when Acustica doesn't make them backwards compatible so every update needs to be installed as a separate version.

They multiply like tribbles. By the time Gold 4 comes out there will be about 30 instances of it in my plugin folder needed for older projects. This isn't good.
Nice suggestions. If it does get to the point of 30 instances, I would say maybe just don't download the update. No doubt new modules will be tempting but at what cost to your/my sanity?

On another note, the Unofficial Master List has been updated. If anyone has some other information please post here or PM me.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Exactly, that's the reason.
One of the criticisms we sometimes get is that we provide too many plugins eh eh.
The point is that in this specific case there are two compressors and they are designed to work well within a routing, so it made no sense to take them off the strip. In other products we will continue with the release of separate products instead, as the case may be.
Thank you for clarifying, Zaphod.
No such criticism from me , I do like options but I get it here.

Good work!
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Jade kills on Mixbuss!!! Great work. Again.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post

That's why Plugin Doctor is so useful, take any EQ that models HW and match the curves using your fave EQ (Crave/Magpha here) -> save as preset. They might not always be perfect, but you'd never notice it. I test all new character EQ plugins this way now.

Although I don't need it personally, Jade sounds great and is easy to dial in - nice release AA, it'll be a popular one. Happy to see the tech continually evolving too

Last edited by b0se; 25th February 2020 at 11:39 AM..
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Any thoughts on whether the Comp/Limiter is emulating a specific model?
I don't think it's the Mäag compressor.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
I thought it was Crane Song STC-8
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Rumours say it is the STC-8 compressor...

@ b0se
I tried to replicate the Maag 40k band in crave - I succeeded with shelf at 40k and around 0.56Q, but the phase response was different between Jade and Crave. Also the 2.5k changes according to the gain applied so it is harder to replicate, especially when in actual use.

Afterwards I did level matched blind tests between Crave and Jade and could pick out Jade almost every time.
On critical mixbus settings it was noticeably deeper sounding without pre and when I engaged A pre the front to back imaging was extended further.
BUT - I noticed that Jade A EQ and preamp likes to be hit around -24dB on the internal input meter. So gain staging using the trim is a must to achieve the best results.

Also I like the low mid bands of EQ B(200hz, 400hz and 550hz) to gently remove build up in that area - just have to be careful with Q setting not to remove punch!!!
EQ C is great for high mids and treble.

So far I really like the sound of this bundle and together it makes a very elegant bus processor.

PS
I checked the PREs in PD and the low end on most of the preamps is wacky... Huge ripples under 50Hz - most notable was pre B.
Also I think Pre C2 was giving me the chirping sound when driven almost to the max on some vocals.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmdav View Post
I'm still kind of new to AA plugins... is it normal behavior for the master output (in this case in the center slot of the plugin) to not attenuate like a master output? Here's what I'm seeing - just for the heck of it, I boosted the input to max, chose a preamp that had plenty of distortion (B and C2 both have it), and was surprised to hear that when I turned down the master output, the "wet" signal was not attenuated. Just the "dry" signal was. So all I could hear was distortion and some kind of a whistling sound. I know these are fringe settings, but... something doesn't seem right.

Also, the "whistling" sound is quite noticeable on preamp D when the input starts to saturate. I'm just testing on a drum bus. Even with the output set to 0.
I confirm the weird behaviour and fixes:
- output is definitively connected to global output and not just the "clean" path of the signal
- the whistle on preamp 4 is reduced/fixed (I can't reproduce it any more even using a loud master and input trim full clockwise)

for other reports:
- version AL will be supported in PT, AU and VST3. Logic will require and engine playback restart, even if we send the new latency during playback. Incredibly both AAX and VST3 will be better than VST2, since dynamic latency is supported at runtime and not just when the engine playback is stopped and started. Possibly we'll improve VST2 further later on.

Wait for this release, which is release K000
Old 25th February 2020
Company Rep

Exclamation Jade update

QUICK JADE UPDATE: https://www.acustica-audio.com/pages/changes

Fix: Output Volume control behavior.
Fix: Latency Compensation in JADEAL version
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecorner View Post
So it seems like there’s no cranesong ibis eq in jade, can anyone sus out the truth?

If so, that's a little disappointing to me. Would have preferred Ibis over the focusrite. Seems like it would have been a much better fit to the collection, especially with the Cransesong STC8 being included. Also much more appropriately Jade colored lol.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

To me the compressor is worth the current price alone. Really great.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear
I would prefer to have all modules separate. It actually doesn't matter to me how long is the list of plugins, as I am using keyboard shortcuts to select things I want. It takes only a second to type JADEWHATEVERVERSION once it gets written to muscle memory.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathe9 View Post
If so, that's a little disappointing to me. Would have preferred Ibis over the focusrite. Seems like it would have been a much better fit to the collection, especially with the Cransesong STC8 being included. Also much more appropriately Jade colored lol.
I was totally thinking the same, why the Ibis EQ hasn’t been included. Maybe in a later version?
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

I explain very quickly the reason for the small number of modules.
We were asked several times to reduce the number of "standalone" plugins, and for Jade, it was appropriate to give it a try.

- We created a version of the standalone equalizer because we discovered that it is usually appreciated for the less space occupied on the screen.
- we have an AL version that will soon be abandoned and adopted by future conventional plugins: we are trying to understand if all sequencers are able to work with dynamic latencies (unfortunately we try to support some very old sequencers that do not support this feature).
- As for compressors we have seen that in the case of Jade they make sense when in the workflow you can cascade them. The idea of having them separately could make sense only for the occupation of screen space, but latency should be already very optimized in the AL version.
- For our classic plugins, we do not want to reduce the number of modules. With Jade however it makes sense
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
- As for compressors we have seen that in the case of Jade they make sense when in the workflow you can cascade them. The idea of having them separately could make sense only for the occupation of screen space, but latency should be already very optimized in the AL version.
Do you think there is no use case for a standalone compressor / limiter? That's odd. I'd definitely use just the compressor and all the rest will be a distraction.
Old 25th February 2020
New update so much better. No chirping when pushed at all. Well done
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since this compressor/limiter is very clean and transparent, it's ideally suited for the mix bus. But I don't see necessarily wanting to put this whole strip on the mix bus. That's why it might be nice to have them separate.
Old 25th February 2020
Here for the gear

Haven't used my UA plugins in ages since discovering AA.....If AA ever decided to go into the world of hardware and build a unit on par or better with my X16, and it somehow managed to run AA plugins then ( I know, I know, they work in an entirely different manner to UA plugins ), that would be very intriguing indeed!

Just a wee thought

Jade is class act indeed !
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Accept payment methods apart from PayPal. Want to buy 8 of your plugins but I'm not doing PayPal.
Old 25th February 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube63 View Post
Accept payment methods apart from PayPal. Want to buy 8 of your plugins but I'm not doing PayPal.
Major credit cards are accepted.
You don't need a PayPal account but payment service still managed via PayPal.
Depending on the country, other credit cards may be available.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM View Post
Major credit cards are accepted.
You don't need a PayPal account but payment service still managed via PayPal.
Depending on the country, other credit cards may be available.
Alright then. Can you email me or inbox me your top best 10 plugins, I'll try and buy them shortly. I've been watching for a while. I'll appreciate this as I can only afford 8 for now. Do you also have a bundle?
Old 26th February 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube63 View Post
Alright then. Can you email me or inbox me your top best 10 plugins, I'll try and buy them shortly. I've been watching for a while. I'll appreciate this as I can only afford 8 for now. Do you also have a bundle?
I'll send you a PM. Regards
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
I explain very quickly the reason for the small number of modules.
We were asked several times to reduce the number of "standalone" plugins, and for Jade, it was appropriate to give it a try.
The problem of too many plugins isn't caused a having a standalone compressor plugin, it's caused by 2 versions of each plugin and zero backwards compatibility between versions.

The easiest way to cut the number of plugins in half is with a setting for ZL mode in the main plugins.

Given the engineering challenges you've already solved this shouldn't be too hard.

(and please, start installing in an Acustica subfolder.)

*EDIT*
SO get this, I just tried replacing the XML file for ZL version with the regular one, and guess what? The regular version worked with 66 samples latency. It appears the ZL versions are completely pointless and shouldn't exist in the first place! It could all be done from within a single plugin with a few lines of code.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 26th February 2020 at 02:29 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search